Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SO DEMANDING posted:

op you sound like a complete loving moron

goodnight and good luck

lol I bet you have green message bubbles like some idiot scrub lord bottom tier moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
i hate the dots and idk why there's no built in option to disable them. when i had a jailbroken phone i used this thing that stopped them from showing up on the other person's phone. i don't want someone to see it takes me like 5 minutes to compose a text and i delete it and start over twice

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the bubbles also aren't 100% reliable, but the blue messages are pretty much an Apple Monopoly thing apparently and mean I am not a stupid person.

Also this thing is acting really schizophrenic about whether it wants to receive things in messages or hangouts which is also not ideal.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
op have you tried kik messenger

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
no but i am literally downloading it now

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Stereotype posted:

Also this thing is acting really schizophrenic about whether it wants to receive things in messages or hangouts which is also not ideal.

google tried to force everyone onto hangouts a while back for everything. like so you'd get your sms and hangouts messages all in the hangouts app. p much everybody whined about it though so they backed off. but you should check your hangouts app bc your settings might be partially set to do that still

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

craisins posted:

what's the best cross-platform messaging poo poo. is it still hangouts?

its actually telegram op

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i think you mean chaton by samsung

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
my dad's been on the iphone since the 3gs but last week he finally turned imessage on and is blue bubbling i don't know why he was so against it

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Smythe posted:

my bae uses "verizon messenger" bc she is a nontechnical woman

dude.... what the heck

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my dad blue bubbles me from the ipad i gave him and he loves it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i love loving messaging people from my computer.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I played with the nexus 6P more last night and am very disappointed I can't get blue messages on it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its a piece of poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

i love loving messaging people from my computer.

same

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Necc0 posted:

my dad's been on the iphone since the 3gs but last week he finally turned imessage on and is blue bubbling i don't know why he was so against it

My blue bubbles turned off once for no reason. Had to go through settings to toggle them back on. Maybe he just recently found the toggle button.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Peanut and the Gang posted:

My blue bubbles turned off once for no reason. Had to go through settings to toggle them back on. Maybe he just recently found the toggle button.

nah I'd been trying to get him to turn it on the whole time but he just wouldn't do it. only answer he gave was 'I just don't want that on'

I even turned it on for him once hoping he wouldn't notice and he went right in and turned it back off.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

just join yosmessage you loving idiots

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

imessage is literally the best messaging solution and lol if you dont use it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

triple sulk posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

triple sulk posted:

kik is pretty good and has a nice bunch of built in smilies which are identical across platforms which is helpful I reckon

kik tells you when people are typing.. it lets you send words, pictures, videos, sketch a picture. the app also isn't slow as a dog like Facebook chat or whatever. it doesn't require every person run the same operating system

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
don't let the fact that kiks primary audience is 14 year olds put you off

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

don't let the fact that kiks primary audience is 14 year olds put you off

you seem to enjoy things for 14 year olds

kik, snapchat, dry humping

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

also merry xmas echipenis you creep

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
kik is cool and all but doesn't solve my problem: android phones can't use imessage.

I feel bad returning this phone, especially because a friend got one too, but without blue messages and little dots I am basically just a nobody.

Plus Google Fi isn't all that great, its the same as TMobile, it is just that Verizon is laughably overwhelmingly horrible.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

mishaq posted:

you seem to enjoy things for 14 year olds

kik, snapchat, dry humping

lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I like iMessage too OP. sounds like your girlfriend has good tastes, despite dating you.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

triple sulk posted:

It could handle photos a bit better, WhatsApp manages to deliver the same picture faster. I guess it is resizing the image?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Stereotype posted:

Plus Google Fi isn't all that great, its the same as TMobile, it is just that Verizon is laughably overwhelmingly horrible.

verizon is fantastic as long as you manage to set up autopay and nothing ever goes wrong ever because lord help you if you ever need to use their dumpster fire of a website or customer service

tmobile was such a breath of fresh air after years of verizon

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

verizon is fantastic as long as your company is paying for it instead of you

otherwise tmobile supremacy, or the cricket-on-att's-network $35/month plan supremacy if you wanna really save cash

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Verizon is universally garbage

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

verizon is a terrible company that i try not give my money to, agreed

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MrMoo posted:

It could handle photos a bit better, WhatsApp manages to deliver the same picture faster. I guess it is resizing the image?

resizing images sent is poo poo. iMessage does t do that. so whatsapp sounds pretty poo poo to me.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Necc0 posted:

tmobile was such a breath of fresh air after years of verizon

same but years of sprint

ive paid tmo the same moneys for 3 years and my unthrottled data has gone from 100MB to 3GB+rollover. and yeah net neutrality is great and all but the "free" music streaming thing is kinda nice :v:

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
hangouts is fine but there's been plenty of times in its two year history where it's been complete poo poo.

as soon as it's good for more than a year google will EOL it.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

big scary monsters posted:

just text her some dots before the rest of your message

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Stereotype posted:

When I text my amazing girlfriend she likes it when there are little dots when I am typing. If I switch to android (which I bought a Nexus 6P to do cuz I can use google fi and it is like $100 cheaper a month) it doesn't do that, since it uses SMS not iMessage. So basically I am paying for both right now until I can find out a way to make the dots appear in her messages when I text to her.

How do I do that. I have a macbook air.

google hangouts does teh dots op maybe command some respect

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i hate the dots and idk why there's no built in option to disable them. when i had a jailbroken phone i used this thing that stopped them from showing up on the other person's phone. i don't want someone to see it takes me like 5 minutes to compose a text and i delete it and start over twice

android allows you to disable them hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Lutha Mahtin posted:

google tried to force everyone onto hangouts a while back for everything. like so you'd get your sms and hangouts messages all in the hangouts app. p much everybody whined about it though so they backed off. but you should check your hangouts app bc your settings might be partially set to do that still

you can choose whether you want hangouts to receive sms messages for you

• Locked thread