Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i played it all night, barely got any sleep and played it all morning. im totally infatuated w/ this title. the tiniest of side quests have great writing and nice little plots.

there's no bullshit overarching morality/notoriety system so you can treat every quest as an individual case, be an rear end in a top hat to this dude and threaten him for a bigger reward, save another man's life for free and treat him like family; maybe you'll run into him in a later town and turns out he's a big-time merchant and he gives you half-off on all his stuff.

the world is riddled w/ goodies and cool poo poo to explore, the combat is an enormous upgrade from witcher 2's sloppy shitfest, the game is just loving awesome overall. 30 bucks is a drat steal for it IMO, probably one of the richest rpgs ive played in a very long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i got it on release and hated the combat, but i might give it a try after i beat bloodborne again. apparently the combat patch fixed a lot of my problems with it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I liked... gently caress the haters, OP

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Lol

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I want to play this game but I don't want to pay 30 dollars for it, I want to pay 10 dollars.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I want to play this game but I don't want to pay 30 dollars for it, I want to pay 10 dollars.

when u get it for 10 bucks a year from now, youre gonna say "drat, I wish I had played this sooner, i want to give these guys more money, cause this game is so much win"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i still haven't played this but, i want to.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

apparnetly They patched out all the stuff about ti that annoyed me enough to quit playing, so I cant wait to get my hands on it in a few decades.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I liked... gently caress the haters, OP

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I really liked it. The alternative movement patch significantly improved the combat too. Once they did that and fixed up the inventory I really had no other complaints.

The Skellige music is awesome. The whole soundtrack is awesome

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

so apparently theyve patched out a lot of dumb poo poo and pretty much revamped the combat since its release..i had no idea. well this gamer has no complaints

idk how it worked before but resources and stuff dont take up any space in the inv., only actual equipment does. thats a pretty huge upgrade from witcher 2 where even the loving coins took up weight and you had to resort everything every half hour cause you kept being overburdened by collecting poo poo..in a game where gathering mats and crafting is like 30% of the content lol

ill say the durability stuff is pretty dumb but any blacksmith repairs all your stuff for dirt cheap and it wears down veeeerryy slowly. like, the game couldve just not had durability at all but its a very minor thing

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah after sorting my inventory of literal garbage over and over in witcher 2 I said good riddance to that pony tailed gently caress, but if they fixed it in 3 maybe I try again

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

ingredients and other crap had lots of weight when it came out, when they patched everything to weigh nothing or next to nothing it got os much better

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
cool, glad to hear they kinda fixed combat

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played 3 or 4 quests of this and it's pretty OK. It's a better medieval hack and slash game than Skyrim, IMO, although you can't just be a wizard which is what I like to do. I think all the stupid poo poo like oils for your blades are retarded so I just never use them. Maybe I'm making the game too hard on myself but I only had trouble with the ghost well quest because I didn't know to use the trap spell. Anyway, all in all, it's a good $30 RPG.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i loved the game and beat the dlc and the main campaign and spent like 100+ hours. very impressive in its story design
i would be really happy if geralt and to a greater extent roche moved in a way that feels good instead of in 2 different but equally weird modes i can switch between.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

I played 3 or 4 quests of this and it's pretty OK. It's a better medieval hack and slash game than Skyrim, IMO, although you can't just be a wizard which is what I like to do. I think all the stupid poo poo like oils for your blades are retarded so I just never use them. Maybe I'm making the game too hard on myself but I only had trouble with the ghost well quest because I didn't know to use the trap spell. Anyway, all in all, it's a good $30 RPG.

nah dont worry about it, one of my big problems with the game is it gets way too easy after a while even if you dont min max or try to find the superpowered armor or anything like that

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

the game can be really rough at first though, especially if you havent made the swallow potion yet

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I'm waiting for a true dry spell (IE a gap between cycling the Souls games and retro poo poo) before I play the DLC. The second one that's coming in spring should be even better.

I got the best possible ending without using any kind of guide. Felt v powerful and satisfied

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the oils and potions and min-maxy stuff is really for the higher difficulties where it's ultra realistic and you will actually be murdered in 2 hits, when things tend to attack you in hordes and you need to be able to take that extra hit to survive encounters, or deal that extra bit of damage so the fights are that much shorter

im not a psycho tho so i play on normal

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I never used blade oil because that is stupid, but the potions do cool things and are worth using. Did they ever give you more than two potion quick-slots? The combat wasn't so hot in this and the menus/inventory were godawful but it has the best writing/characters of any rpg ever made, bar none, and that made it really good to me, one of my favorites this year. I can't wait for the second expansion to come out so I can play it some more.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I agree with the OP.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I lost interest in it almost immediately following the tutorial myslef, OP.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ragg posted:

I agree with the OP.

thanks buddy

Wormskull posted:

I lost interest in it almost immediately following the tutorial myslef, OP.

apparently the game has been patched to hell and almost everything bad has been taken out. im completely in love myself

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Did the patch happen within the last 2 weeks.

Dec 26, 2012

i kinda liked it but it ran like rear end on my old computer and i burned out anyway once i hit skellige

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Oh yeah that's also why I stopped playing.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
spells are really good in this game, especially their secondary modes.

Dec 26, 2012

i remember yrden secondary cleaning up because it would stunlock enemies

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
maxed out quen's secondary soaks up damage and either replenishes stamina or health

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i took on a wolverine hunt quest and it turns out i was unprepared for it. on his last 1/3rd of life or so it starts regenning health super fast and my damage couldn't keep up, i went back to the starting village and decided to explore every spot i missed.

so far ive found a ton of money through hidden chests and stuff, big armor upgrades and a way better silver sword. theres hidden dungeons and boss fights behind weak floor boards and the like, feels great to find that poo poo when youre exploring

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I took one look at the 10 million different potions and oils the game throws at you and ignored it for dozens of hours but it turns out that once youve made a potion you just replenish your entire stock every time you rest so there's no real reason not to use them

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it was good for someone like me who usually ends RPGs with an inventory chock full of extremely powerful combat potions because I always think I'm gonna need them for a later fight

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I took one look at the 10 million different potions and oils the game throws at you and ignored it for dozens of hours but it turns out that once youve made a potion you just replenish your entire stock every time you rest so there's no real reason not to use them

what :aaaaa:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
All the oils and bombs replenish when you rest too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I said good riddance to that pony tailed gently caress, but if they fixed it in 3 maybe I try again

good news u can now change your hairstyle for a small sum of crowns :)

• Locked thread