Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I never used blade oil because that is stupid, but the potions do cool things and are worth using. Did they ever give you more than two potion quick-slots?

one of the patches added an extra set of quickslots. you can equip 4 potions and swap between the 2 sets by holding the button down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

oils are a bit tedious to use, but you are seriously playing the game wrong if you arent constantly drinking potions/throwing bombs. there is practically no cost to using them. decoctions are also really op if you take the right abilities for it.

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

I agree OP

Dec 26, 2012

EvilMike posted:

oils are a bit tedious to use, but you are seriously playing the game wrong if you arent constantly drinking potions/throwing bombs. there is practically no cost to using them. decoctions are also really op if you take the right abilities for it.

i took a bunch of levels in that ability that gives you extra max toxicity for every recipe you know and got it to the point where i could comfortably run around with 2 decoctions up always. it owned

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I can't see the word "toxicity" without seeing K1llsen's pov railing the poo poo out of the only visible pixel of people, in my mind.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Toxicity makes me think of dark souls immediately

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Makes me think of System of a Down. Later dudes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

EvilMike posted:

one of the patches added an extra set of quickslots. you can equip 4 potions and swap between the 2 sets by holding the button down
This was one of my major gripes when I played it, along with lovely inventory, movement and other problems. Having to go into inventory every time to use something outside the two slots was some drat fail, but I gave it a try again thanks to Bob and yeah they actually did fix a lot of stupid poo poo about it so this was very nice surprise. I kind of wish they would even allow you to have 3+ sets and just let you cycle them using left/right d-pad since I never really bothered with unsheath/sheath buttons anyways. I still don't bother with oils

Dec 26, 2012

there's no point to sheathe/unsheathe buttons in 3

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yeah not sure why they even bothered to waste 2 precious controller buttons on that since they could have been used as slots for oils, more portions, or literally anything else.

ok i guess technically they're more used to switch between steel/silver swords but the game automatically does that well enough that it's still a waste of buttons

Dec 26, 2012

yeah thats my point, the game now automatically picks the right sword now so why are they buttons

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

cause it was a big deal in witcher 1 and they wanted to cater to the 3 fans of the original im guessing

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I haven't played this game but the idea that it automatically replenishes consumables upon resting seems like a great mechanic.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

you need to have at least 1 bottle of booze for it to replenish

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alcohol isn't rare. I think any kind counts too

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

that owns. im using potions way more often then, im glad they made alchemy accessible. in witcher 2 gathering stuff and inv. space were such a pain and the potion buffs were tiny so it was better to just completely ignore that part of the game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

blacksmiths have reusable whetstones that just buff your wep damage for 15 minutes, ive been going down the spellcaster tree cause the early melee options look underwhelming, blanketing everything with fire is cool too and looks pretty

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the map youre on at the start of the game is very tiny and safe. the only large monster is the first boss and if you explore the nastiest thing you'll run into is maybe a big bear.

in velen i found a guarded treasure spot, and it was just a lonely chest sitting near the shore, didnt see any enemies nearby. had unique boots in it along with tons of money and rare parts, then a huge basilisk popped out of a near cave, swooped at me and loving killed me in one hit. game rules

e: after upgrading my spells a bit, unlocked an alt. fire for the igni spell that is a straight up flamethrower

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I haven't played this game but the idea that it automatically replenishes consumables upon resting seems like a great mechanic.

you craft your potions and oils and bombs once. then whenever you meditate after you're done they automatically refill so long as you have enough ingredients. it's a good mechanic.

i like the beastiary manual in this game bc it shows you right at the bottom of the screen what the best oils and bombs are for each monster.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

Action Tortoise posted:

you craft your potions and oils and bombs once. then whenever you meditate after you're done they automatically refill so long as you have enough ingredients. it's a good mechanic.

i like the beastiary manual in this game bc it shows you right at the bottom of the screen what the best oils and bombs are for each monster.

you just need one alcohest after you've made something the first time and it replenishes everything you've ever made and used

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I really liked the Heart of Stone DLC because it's got a lot of variety in its quests and the bosses are pretty challenging. That one quest where you go to a peasant wedding while possessed by a nobleman's ghost was great.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I like to take the sword out when I'm out in the wild and put it away when I'm in town. They probably should have made it automatic in the console version

Dec 26, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

that owns. im using potions way more often then, im glad they made alchemy accessible. in witcher 2 gathering stuff and inv. space were such a pain and the potion buffs were tiny so it was better to just completely ignore that part of the game

witcher 2 alchemy was weird because it was either minor as gently caress or you invested twice in the "enhance effects" skill and you got potions that doubled your hp in exchange for like -3% damage. in either case it was really annoying because you had to do it while resting

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah now all the potions and buffs are just things you pop in-combat. if you craft oils for weps, you coat a sword or whatever with it and the oil doesn't get wasted, dont even have to rest to refill it. once youve crafted a blade oil it's just infinite and you just need to remember to swap the buff when youre fighting a specific kind of tough monster.

when you stack everything (ex: bolt potion for 10% all damage, cursed oil for +10% damage vs. cursed creatures, rune that deals additional damage to beasts and hybrids etc. vs. a Werewolf) you get a pretty crazy damage boost, and it feels good when you struggle vs a monster then you read its bestiary and come in learned.

it tells you what stuff is weak to, but if you read the descriptions it actually gives you tips on fighting it and what to watch out for. like a warning that a certain enemy will violently explode when it reaches low health, or become super aggressive etc.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah I remember having a hard time with the ghost bride bounty before reading the bestiary and finding out that yrden traps could make them materialize and actually take damage

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Making you actually switch between fight styles instead of doing the same stuff against all monsters is a cool game design thing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

in the first continent i wandered around the forest at night and found a village that was completely on fire and inhabited by night wraiths that were like 10 levels above me, and they were guarding treasure

i rested until morning and went back to the same area, it was barren. no village, no fires, no treasure. thats loving cool. theres all kinds of poo poo like that

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also saw a lonely abandoned fort covered in seagulls, i look up and theres a huge drake getting his fill of bird meat. sure enough it spots me and comes down, level 14., loving spits acid on me and kills me

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

stealing stuff from the army and other cops is outrageously easy. even if youre caught as long as you manage to run away theyll forget that you did that the moment you get away. like i stole some stuff from the camp in the starting town, someone caught me, i sprinted until the action music stopped playing, i ran back and they were all friendly again.

it sounds dumb but i think they did this for convenience's sake. maybe it's different in higher difficulties.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i was watching my roomie play it, and he never got caught for stealing. he just took stuff out of containers as much as he wanted. is that like the easiest difficulty, or something?

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

i was watching my roomie play it, and he never got caught for stealing. he just took stuff out of containers as much as he wanted. is that like the easiest difficulty, or something?

if you do it in fronty of guards they start getting pissy, but like he said you can just run off and they'll forget

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tbh i got some legend of zelda feels from this with the way you can just barge into peoples homes and totally ransack em, i was surprised there was any kind of thieving mechanic. so it really doesn't matter that its p much a joke, makes it a bit of extra fun to steal from highly guarded fortresses

also if the guards "kill" you, you dont die. you wake up with 1 HP hours later and a message reads "you have lost some coins" lmao

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
Witcher 3 is fun and cool, i enjoyed hunting down witcher armor sets

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SombereroLad posted:

Witcher 3 is fun and cool, i enjoyed hunting down witcher armor sets
Yeah this was really cool, one of them in particular.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the secret dungeons hidden in the world with armor sets at the end own hard, yes

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

one of them had some horrible vampire thing in it that could fade in and out of his reality and warp around you, has to use yrden just to make it hittable

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

omg i beat some dude to death with my bare hands and i got the cheevo "fist of the south star"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Making you actually switch between fight styles instead of doing the same stuff against all monsters is a cool game design thing

I remember unlocking the spell that stun locks every enemy n the game including bosses and buffing it to the point where the effect lasted longer than the cooldown and did that for 25 hours to beat Witcher 2

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bobnumerotres posted:

i played it all night, barely got any sleep and played it all morning. im totally infatuated w/ this title. the tiniest of side quests have great writing and nice little plots.

I haven't finished it but this is what I admired so much about the game, even if I didn't really enjoy the combat that much. I did a bunch of side quests and there wasn't like, a single one that seemed like it was tossed off low-effort stuff that nobody gave a poo poo about. It's not like it was all amazing or anything, but like everything I did had some moment where it was clear that someone gave a poo poo about making the quest memorable in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah like, the combat is fun when it works but there've been a few times where geralt just gets stuck in a tree or some poo poo and i just get murdered, or other oddities happen

but the writing is top notch, everything about this game is a labor of love. and i really like geralt's whole monster detective thing

• Locked thread