Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I miss the time before these forums existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

grandpa

also foot-shaped lollipops with candy pop in bag

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
White dog poo poo, and that one kid who'd periodically show up with a shaved head cause of the nits.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Aesop Poprock posted:

They're still the most 90s drink I can think of next to Surge

I miss that poo poo. Surge was about the best thing going and it just vanished.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011
Good pizza from Pizza Hut.

I can't say when Pizza Hut stopped being good in the USA, but I can pinpoint exactly when it went poo poo in the UK, because when my metabolism was still pretty good in my early 20s we went there often. Most Pizza Huts in the UK aren't delivery places, they are sit down restaurants. Sometime in the mid 90s they introduced the all you can eat buffet, which we had a few times until fairly quickly we noticed they were using substandard (I assume frozen) dough and also soaking the base with a SHITTON of grease, I guess so you'd get full faster and eat less from the buffet.

So we stopped ordering from the buffet.

A few months later though all their regular menu items went the same way. I guess most customers didn't notice the difference or didn't care.

I've had Pizza Hut since (once and then never again in each respective country) in Japan and the USA and it's just as bad as the greasy frozen base stuff they started foisting on us in UK restaurants in the mid 90s, so either the same happened in those countries or Pizza Hut was always bad there and only ever good in the UK.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You've just reminded me that Pizza Hut in Australia had some really good ribs at one point, but apparently only I thought so because they only lasted a few months, if that. :smith:

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I miss that poo poo. Surge was about the best thing going and it just vanished.

Surge is actually available in some places now. Some Burger Kings even have Surge slushies.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
German TV was great in the 80's and early nineties. You would have French comedy (Louis de Funès), Italian Action/ Comedy (Bud Spencer), British music, weird Eastern European series, so called "Eastern" in the early nineties (and lots of Asian movies) and of course American stuff. All in all it was much more diverse than what we have now (local and American content basically) and there was maybe one interruption or no break at all. I really miss it.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I miss steroid baseball. If you didn't enjoy watching guys hit 70 home runs a year then something was wrong with you. Now it's pitchers getting no hitters every few days. Oh boy that's exciting.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
My hair. :smith: <- Actual photo of my head

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

There was a park I loving LOVED in Ada, Michigan at an elementary school.

They tore it down a few years back. Not "safe" enough anymore, much like riding bikes in residential neighborhoods without a helmet.

I also miss PB crisps and Planters Cheez Balls.

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely

13Pandora13 posted:

There was a park I loving LOVED in Ada, Michigan at an elementary school.

They tore it down a few years back. Not "safe" enough anymore, much like riding bikes in residential neighborhoods without a helmet.

I also miss PB crisps and Planters Cheez Balls.

There was one of these wooden structures that I completely loving loved at a park near my school, but after a few years they stopped maintaining it properly and the whole thing turned into Splinter City. It was held together with pipes that had rubber end caps which often were missing, and one day I got the tire swing going high enough that I smacked my head on the end of one and bled all over the place (scalp wound). There were bloodstains on the wood for months.

Why is this a good memory? Hell if I know, but that place was awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That reminds me, they tore down my high school and there was talk about just moving reunions to the new, fancy school they build but the new school admin said nope, you didn't go here, so you don't get to have reunions, so there was never a HS reunion for my class.

Not that I really want to see most of the people i went to HS with.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lolly cigarettes. They still exist, but they're just plain white sticks and they're called Fads instead of Fags, and they're completely pointless because no one bought them for the taste.

There's one of these in the park near my house. Bigger than that though.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Tiggum posted:

There's one of these in the park near my house. Bigger than that though.

But does it spin? Mine spun and was less jolly-looking, and the swing seats were thick black rubber, like a tire -- not wide enough to sit on properly, but very long. They were also higher off the ground so you couldn't just sit down if you were a small child, and we were all small children because it was a preschool. The only way to get on the swing was to get a teacher to pick you up or have a couple of friends help steady the thing from rotating so you could climb on. Most kids ended up sorta draping themselves over the 'seat' and then kicking at the ground.

I finally asked my mom, and she said she has no idea what it's called, has never seen another one, but remembers they tore it down.

I think I'm either making it sound way more or way less sinister than it was. Also, I misread the title initially. This was definitely not my favorite thing from childhood no longer around.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

An actual favorite thing was this juice --

I wrote to Ocean Spray about 10 years ago asking about it, but they said it wasn't coming back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2swqFdPVkI

Pretty interesting juice commercial, looking at it now!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
i though about mauna lai the other day. at my house we called it "mowie lowie' because we we cool like that. i can still remember the indistinct citrusy flavor of it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

did anybody actually drink this?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Heath posted:

did anybody actually drink this?

It tasted OK

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I.C. posted:

But does it spin?

Yes.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
s

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I liked going to Wendy's once a month to eat the glorious salad bar that had unlimited pudding and smashed strawberries with bananas. You'd fill a plate and then go sit at your table which had a laminate pattern of old time newspaper ads. The whole experience was probably horrible but I remember it as loving magic.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Snorkzilla posted:

I liked going to Wendy's once a month to eat the glorious salad bar that had unlimited pudding and smashed strawberries with bananas. You'd fill a plate and then go sit at your table which had a laminate pattern of old time newspaper ads. The whole experience was probably horrible but I remember it as loving magic.

Oh god, the Superbar. I was always clamoring to go to Wendy's for that goddamn thing. From my parent's reaction and the fact that they hardly ever caved, I think it was pretty awful but goddamn 5 year old me loved cheese sauce and lovely tacos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4iQq4oTcmI

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ponderosa Pines

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

This would have made such a great mixer. :sigh:

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Daytime TV being a bunch of reruns of cheesy old TV shows instead of lovely talk shows and judge shows. How are kids going to appreciate American history and culture if they don't watch Gilligan's Island while they're home sick?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Phone booths used to be everywhere when I was a kid. There was one next to my school, outside the store, at a crossing on our suburban home street and in the lobby of the airport. By the early 2000s all of them were gone due to the proliferation of mobile phones.

I makes you wonder what mundane urban fixture is gone next. I suspect it's the postbox, because people send fewer and fewer letters these days.

Overall a large number of physical services performed at certain premises have been rendered obsolete by electronic services. The ranks of photo developers, bank branch offices, post offices and computer stores have been severely thinned by digital photography, online banking, email and online shopping.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Saturday morning cartoons

also the idea that if you just went to school, did a good job, and were a team player you would make a comfortable living, own a nice house, and could retire at 50

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kakairo posted:

This would have made such a great mixer. :sigh:
They're literally re-releasing this

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Soft drinks in glass bottles. When I was a kid, soft drinks came in 12oz cans or glass bottles (10 & 16oz). You had to pay a deposit on these (usually five cents).

I used to collect these in my neighborhood by the dozens and turn them in. It helped finance my comic book and candy habits for years.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Mister Kingdom posted:

Soft drinks in glass bottles. When I was a kid, soft drinks came in 12oz cans or glass bottles (10 & 16oz). You had to pay a deposit on these (usually five cents).

I used to collect these in my neighborhood by the dozens and turn them in. It helped finance my comic book and candy habits for years.

Both parts of this are still a thing. More or less so, depending on where you are in the world, anyway.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Polyseme posted:

Both parts of this are still a thing. More or less so, depending on where you are in the world, anyway.

I have seen modern drinks in glass bottles, but with no deposit.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have seen modern drinks in glass bottles, but with no deposit.

It varies wildly. South Australia and the Northern Territory, for example, get 10c on even plastic and tetra packs, but the rest of the same country doesn't get it on anything. I can't know for sure but I imagine it varies between states in America too.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Heath posted:

They're literally re-releasing this

They renewed the copyright (which companies always do to protect themselves), but nothing has been announced to my knowledge.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Daytime TV being a bunch of reruns of cheesy old TV shows instead of lovely talk shows and judge shows. How are kids going to appreciate American history and culture if they don't watch Gilligan's Island while they're home sick?

Hey now Jerry Springer has been on for 25 years so it's certainly part of American history. And by watching it and Maury you get to learn about American culture by viewing actual, everyday Americans :patriot:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Schwing Stingrays with banana seats and Ponderosa when they didn't suck.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mister Kingdom posted:

As others have said, you can get pop in glass bottles still. They're not as common, as 7-11 doesn't carry them very much, but most takeout places near me have glass bottled coke, and all the burrito places have that mexican pop brand.

I do miss 2l glass bottles. Those were fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kakairo posted:

They renewed the copyright (which companies always do to protect themselves), but nothing has been announced to my knowledge.

They've been selling it for decades, they just stopped calling it Ecto Cooler. I think it was called Atomic Orange or something?

• Locked thread