Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ndPunkOne
Aug 5, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I think video arcades qualify even if they're technically still around. There used to be one in every mall and even free-standing ones, and now they're so rare. Same goes for convenience stores, gas stations, movie theaters, and pizza parlors having a handful of arcade machines.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

AA is for Quitters posted:

Discovery zone and it's kin. We had an awesome local one that was like 3000sq ft of tubes and slides and ball pits and foam poo poo to climb on....

Probably all closed due to lawsuit concerns, since there was no way in hell that poo poo could be sanitary, plus I know I wound up bruised and battered from jumping from great Heights into the ball pit

Hey I used to love discovery zone until the time I got stuck behind a guy with smelly-rear end feet in the tube network for like 10 minutes and then I went down a slide that had a puddle of piss at the bottom.

Man, being a kid was fun.

MisterGBH posted:

Wimpys.
It was a British alternative to McDonalds and the had English inspired burgers. I remember that they had a doughnut dessert called something like Brown Derby.

Wimpy's is still going, I ate at one just a month ago!

Frankston has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Feb 10, 2016

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Frankston posted:

Wimpy's is still going, I ate at one just a month ago!
Do they give you until the following Tuesday to pay for it?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

skander posted:

Do they give you until the following Tuesday to pay for it?

It's weirdly expensive now, cost me £6 for a cheeseburger and fries.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Thin Privilege posted:

Also lack of social media, especially Facebook.

That whole proto-internet, really. Before Wikipedia, Youtube, halfway-decent search engines. If you needed to find something out you had to loving look for it. And if you're like me and that thing was about a video game, you were about to learn some weird and interesting poo poo. Some of it was even true!

The way people learned about and shared info on video games in general was really neat, actually. These days people have really sophisticated tools to dissect and understand a game, and then you'll find out what they've found in a central location; people found out what changed in Undertale's latest patch in less than a day.

Back in the 90s? Good loving luck. You looked through the wilderness of message boards and fansites hoping to find some inkling of an answer to your question, and there's no guarantee that one actually existed. Sometimes that answer wasn't gonna become clear for years, sometimes there was never an answer, both times you'd get stuck sifting through a dozen people trying to bullshit each other with tales of their uncle who works at Nintendo. And then occasionally someone strikes gold and finds some actual, fantastic little morsel of information, either within the game's code or through some outlandish external source, but you'd need to strike gold just to find THEM striking gold.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Frankston posted:

It's weirdly expensive now, cost me £6 for a cheeseburger and fries.

There's one in my town it's mostly frequented by single mother's, they do a pretty good Coke float though.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
This is news to me. Think I'll find one for a nostalgic treat.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

this is so old of me but i miss .25c subway fare when i was a kid
costs me $3.25 now

city life

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

I used to go to the public library to print out walkthroughs for games like Final Fantasy and Baldurs Gate from message boards, then later GameFAQs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
My entire neighborhood including the elementary school I attended for five years.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

joshtothemaxx posted:

I used to go to the public library to print out walkthroughs for games like Final Fantasy and Baldurs Gate from message boards, then later GameFAQs.

Jesus those things were hundreds of pages. I'm sure the library loved you

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man they didn't even try to make those breakfast squares not look dry and mealy as gently caress

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I wonder how long they were able to milk the idea of repackaging survival rations before people wised up.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Antagonist Inc. message boards on AOL.

The N64 Rumor Mill was effectively my GBS before I knew what Something Awful was. Before SA existed, even.

There were a handful of really good (for the time) game-specific message boards with fairly tight communities, too.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cleretic posted:

That whole proto-internet, really. Before Wikipedia, Youtube, halfway-decent search engines. If you needed to find something out you had to loving look for it. And if you're like me and that thing was about a video game, you were about to learn some weird and interesting poo poo. Some of it was even true!

The way people learned about and shared info on video games in general was really neat, actually. These days people have really sophisticated tools to dissect and understand a game, and then you'll find out what they've found in a central location; people found out what changed in Undertale's latest patch in less than a day.

Back in the 90s? Good loving luck. You looked through the wilderness of message boards and fansites hoping to find some inkling of an answer to your question, and there's no guarantee that one actually existed. Sometimes that answer wasn't gonna become clear for years, sometimes there was never an answer, both times you'd get stuck sifting through a dozen people trying to bullshit each other with tales of their uncle who works at Nintendo. And then occasionally someone strikes gold and finds some actual, fantastic little morsel of information, either within the game's code or through some outlandish external source, but you'd need to strike gold just to find THEM striking gold.

This was the magic of discovery I had as a kid rummaging through info about Pokemon and Everquest (especially about Kerafyrm). :allears:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Aesop Poprock posted:

Jesus those things were hundreds of pages. I'm sure the library loved you

This was before the days of logging in with your library card. Paper log and honor system. I was not a very honorable kid.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, hard to maintain a sense of mystery.

It's why I appreciate people making elaborate hoaxes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, hard to maintain a sense of mystery.

It's why I appreciate people making elaborate hoaxes.

The only two games I know that have managed to recapture it in recent years are ones that specifically set out to: Dark Souls and Undertale. Dark Souls added red herring items and leads that went nowhere (and being on consoles at the time were a bit tough to file-dive into), and Undertale specifically made content that only the file-divers could get access to.

The old tentpoles of all this sort of stuff, though? They didn't even have to try. Ocarina of Time's greatest stories stemmed from a decal on the status screen, Pokemon's from flavor text, glitches and visual flairs on the map. Final Fantasy didn't even go that far, people built up insane theories and plans out of literally nothing.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Previa_fun posted:

Antagonist Inc. message boards on AOL.

The N64 Rumor Mill was effectively my GBS before I knew what Something Awful was. Before SA existed, even.

There were a handful of really good (for the time) game-specific message boards with fairly tight communities, too.

The ANT Final Fantasy VII board was probably my first online message board. Also, Final Fiction, which I'm sure was utterly terrible, but the idea of fanfiction was a novelty then.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

We had my almost 2-year-old kids watch one of his episodes on Netflix just for the heck of it.

They were hooked.

Watching Mr. Rogers is now the "just got home from daycare and mommy/daddy needs to cook dinner" time in our household, so he's definitely still around in some form.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Pendragon posted:

We had my almost 2-year-old kids watch one of his episodes on Netflix just for the heck of it.

They were hooked.

Watching Mr. Rogers is now the "just got home from daycare and mommy/daddy needs to cook dinner" time in our household, so he's definitely still around in some form.

:unsmith:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Pendragon posted:

They were hooked.

This makes me happy.

Also, they got Mr. Rogers on Netflix?

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Also, they got Mr. Rogers on Netflix?

Netflix has about 20 episodes, but Amazon has over 80.

It's cool watching those as an adult because you realize 1. how much ad-libbing went on with that show, and 2. how good of a person Fred Rogers really was. Guy is amazing.

Side note: watching those episodes has filled in various faint memories of musical jingles or catch phrases that would randomly bubble up in my brain without knowing where they came from.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

This was the magic of discovery I had as a kid rummaging through info about Pokemon and Everquest (especially about Kerafyrm). :allears:

I remember warpcore.org, an enormous Descent webring (remember those?) that had just about everything that was ever known about or made for Descent in the 1990s. I am sure nothing is left 20 years later. :smith:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Woolie Wool posted:

I remember warpcore.org, an enormous Descent webring (remember those?) that had just about everything that was ever known about or made for Descent in the 1990s. I am sure nothing is left 20 years later. :smith:

Hell yeah I remember webrings! That's the late 90s/early 2000s equivalent of Wikipedia diving (ie clicking on the next random article that enticed your curiosity from the previous article). I also remember visitor counters at the bottom of the page, Angelfire made webpages, and guestbooks to sign after you visited. :corsair:

The Internet was a smaller, quainter place then. :allears:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

queserasera posted:

Junk food nostalgia best nostalgia.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Do "things that weren't around anymore and suddenly came back" count?

They've started selling Surge again. It looks and tastes just like I remember it. They even used the XXXTREME '90s packaging design instead of the later one.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Never ate it but loved the commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be77gKd55q4

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
While we're on cereal

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

om nom nom posted:

While we're on cereal

My friend absolutely loved these and we found a box of them around 2009/2010 in a discount store in our neighborhood that were still good somehow. He was loving ecstatic

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

owl_pellet posted:

I think video arcades qualify even if they're technically still around. There used to be one in every mall and even free-standing ones, and now they're so rare. Same goes for convenience stores, gas stations, movie theaters, and pizza parlors having a handful of arcade machines.

Yeah arcades still exist but they really aren't the same. They're sort of on the way back now though since the hardware is cheap and plentiful and there's a whole generation of kids raised by YouTube gaming personalities that wants to play classic games but has no way to get them. The pricing setup is very different now and you can drink in most of them, but little by little I've started to see more Arcades pop up around me. I also think that right about now is when you could probably open a new Video Rental store in some major metro area. Enough people who grew up in the golden age of video stores now have kids that you could probably keep a mom and pop rental place rolling as long as it was authentic as gently caress. It would need to look and feel like walking back in time, and most importantly it would need to cater to the kind of films Redbox/Netflix never has, IE old classics, B movies, direct to video stuff, etc if you wanted to get really crazy you'd have a video game rental section filled with NES/SNES/Genesis/N64/Playstation games and a popcorn machine would obviously be required.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Usenet before the Eternal September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah arcades still exist but they really aren't the same. They're sort of on the way back now though since the hardware is cheap and plentiful and there's a whole generation of kids raised by YouTube gaming personalities that wants to play classic games but has no way to get them. The pricing setup is very different now and you can drink in most of them, but little by little I've started to see more Arcades pop up around me. I also think that right about now is when you could probably open a new Video Rental store in some major metro area. Enough people who grew up in the golden age of video stores now have kids that you could probably keep a mom and pop rental place rolling as long as it was authentic as gently caress. It would need to look and feel like walking back in time, and most importantly it would need to cater to the kind of films Redbox/Netflix never has, IE old classics, B movies, direct to video stuff, etc if you wanted to get really crazy you'd have a video game rental section filled with NES/SNES/Genesis/N64/Playstation games and a popcorn machine would obviously be required.

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Mar 19, 2016

• Locked thread