Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

KieranWalker posted:

The backtracking after the Dark Forge confused the hell out of me, to the point I finally googled to see where the hell I was supposed to be going. By then, of course, I was on the wrong end of Nosgoth and had to walk all the way back yet again.

I cannot imagine playing this game first time round without a guide. I probably tried it but the world just seems so open that I expect I gave up pretty quickly (I'm probably the reason Final Fantasy games became corridor simulators), especially with the puzzles. Whether it's my own laziness or stupidity I don't know. Did many other people play this game blind and just work it all out for themselves the first time round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
The first time I played this I played this blind without any guides
Some parts were frustrating, but it was never something impossible
Actually, come think of it, the most frustrating game for me in terms of pathfinding is Jedi Outcast, not either of the Soul Reavers

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Going to watch the video right now, but just wanted to say I'm glad this part is known to be at least a bit problematic, and that just maybe I wasn't just dumb and/or blind in this case.

e: I must say, at least for me personally, watching the cutscenes is really fun. I can't really say how well-directed they are, but I enjoy them quite a bit for some reason.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 1, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I played the poo poo out of the Soul Reaver 2 pc demo (which was the full introduction, and ended just as Raziel leaves the Sarafan stronghold) - and was completely blown away by the presentation back in the day. I was also curious because I didn't have the means to play the first game (or Blood Omen for that matter)

Unfortunately, when I purchased the full game, a bug stopped me from progressing any further than the first room in the Dark forge where Raziel examins the murals; the game wouldn't register the walls as climbable, so I was just stuck there. :argh:

Only when I got it on PS2 a few years later could I progress in the game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The game design for Blood Omen 2 was totally linear but the art for Blood Omen 2 was loving amazing, probably the best in the series.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Fun fact: a lot of the art for Blood Omen 2 comes from a canceled sequel/reboot to the Genesis game Chakan: The Forever Man. We can talk more about that when Alexey gets to BO2.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I got a bug in the Fire Forge once. Thankfully, reloading the game fixed it, but it took me a good hour back when to figure out that it was a bug where some script didn't trigger and not me being stupid and doing something wrong. I was frustrated

PSA: I hereby declare that talking about how BO2 used Chakan sequel art and general visual style and symbols and big-boobed characters is not a spoiler and thus permitted in the premises of this thread so long as the plot of BO2 isn't spoiled, so feel free :v:

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 3, 2016

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I love how Vorador is the only straight shooter in Nosgoth, and how Raziel immediately appreciates him for it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Well, to be fair, he's not the only one
He is, however, the only one who doesn't want anything from Raziel

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

George posted:

I love how Vorador is the only straight shooter in Nosgoth, and how Raziel immediately appreciates him for it.

Hey, you got a problem, he's all ears.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's around here I remember giving up on Soul Reaver 2 because I just didn't know where to go. Similarily, Defiance was also dropped in another Vorador related area.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.

DukeofCA posted:

Fun fact: a lot of the art for Blood Omen 2 comes from a canceled sequel/reboot to the Genesis game Chakan: The Forever Man.

Woah, seriously? I was all about Chakan when I was a little kid. It was a totally bizarre title I knew nothing about that would pop up on the Sega Channel sometimes and I loved it to pieces even though it was way too hard for me at the time. The over-the-top creepy art, the weird synths, and the bizarre world really struck a chord with me. It kinda feels like Soul Reaver 1, looking back on it.

Also I had forgotten how great the animation was during cutscenes in this game. Moebius mugging like a saturday morning cartoon character is hilarious and really plays well off of the very puple dialog. Thanks for LPing this, Alexey, it's great stuff!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

The only real problem I had with the dark forge area, was shooting that... seal thing. I figured it looked kinda like a pane of glass, so it should be broken, right? So how the hell do I get up there? Jumping doesn't work, etc. It took me about a week until I figured out I could shoot the drat thing. Manuals? Pfft, who reads that poo poo :jerkbag: It should be said, though, that I hadn't played SR1, so I had no idea who anyone was, or what was going on, or that Raziel possessed telekinetic powers.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

inscrutable horse posted:

The only real problem I had with the dark forge area, was shooting that... seal thing. I figured it looked kinda like a pane of glass, so it should be broken, right? So how the hell do I get up there? Jumping doesn't work, etc. It took me about a week until I figured out I could shoot the drat thing. Manuals? Pfft, who reads that poo poo :jerkbag: It should be said, though, that I hadn't played SR1, so I had no idea who anyone was, or what was going on, or that Raziel possessed telekinetic powers.

But the game gives you a "Shoot Reaver projectiles at puzzle objectives" hint? Unless you turned them off, which I actually keep forgetting to do in this playthrough :downs:

----
Really happy with how this update turned out

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I was neither the sharpest, nor the most observant teen :downs:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Re: the video, I've discovered that you actually CAN swim at the surface, but it's finicky and a hell of a lot slower than swimming underwater.

On a side note, I just finished the game about a half hour ago. I'm kind of glad it's over to tell you the truth. By the time I hit the final stretch I was so done with it that I just started annihilating everything between me and the Sarafan fortress with the Wraith Blade, heedless of Raziel's health. The final few fights can also get ridiculously frustrating, but I'll let you expound upon that when the time comes, Alexey.

Edit: I had the same problem trying to find the Light Forge, too, and had backtracked all the way to the Dark Forge before I thought to look up the location of the entrance on Google. I had of course completely forgotten the underwater gate out by the save point by then.

There is an objective marker on the otherwise useless in-game map, but knowing you're supposed to be going to the Light Forge doesn't help you figure out how the hell to get to it.

And it did take me over an hour to solve the Dark Reaver puzzle in the Light Forge! I actually got killed by the last three thralls and had to go all the way back to the other end of the loving complex to get the Dark Reaver again. I'm sure you know how pissed off I was. You actually CAN put puzzle objects down (Crouch + Heavy Attack), but they despawn within a few seconds, so it isn't as if you'd be able to put it down, fight something, and then pick it back up.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 2, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

KieranWalker posted:

Re: the video, I've discovered that you actually CAN swim at the surface, but it's finicky and a hell of a lot slower than swimming underwater.

On a side note, I just finished the game about a half hour ago. I'm kind of glad it's over to tell you the truth. By the time I hit the final stretch I was so done with it that I just started annihilating everything between me and the Sarafan fortress with the Wraith Blade, heedless of Raziel's health. The final few fights can also get ridiculously frustrating, but I'll let you expound upon that when the time comes, Alexey.

Edit: I had the same problem trying to find the Light Forge, too, and had backtracked all the way to the Dark Forge before I thought to look up the location of the entrance on Google. I had of course completely forgotten the underwater gate out by the save point by then.

There is an objective marker on the otherwise useless in-game map, but knowing you're supposed to be going to the Light Forge doesn't help you figure out how the hell to get to it.

And it did take me over an hour to solve the Dark Reaver puzzle in the Light Forge! (1) I actually got killed by the last three thralls and had to go all the way back to the other end of the loving complex to get the Dark Reaver again. I'm sure you know how pissed off I was. (2) You actually CAN put puzzle objects down (Crouch + Heavy Attack), but they despawn within a few seconds, so it isn't as if you'd be able to put it down, fight something, and then pick it back up.

1) This is horrible
2) Huh, I didn't know, or didn't remember (which is all the same) that. Still, there's no use for putting down items, thankfully. And even if it were possible, Raziel would pick the item up in combat half the time anyway

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So why is this game so adamant about tool tips for moves? You'd figure after the tutorial fight where it taught you to block that it'd stop telling you to block.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Niggurath posted:

So why is this game so adamant about tool tips for moves? You'd figure after the tutorial fight where it taught you to block that it'd stop telling you to block.

This is because I never used block on-camera and didn't remember to turn the hints off until 5 minutes ago, so the game thinks that I don't know how to do it :v:
The reason why I never blocked any attacks is that it is of no use. At all. The second you start blocking, the enemy will go for a heavy attack, which Raziel cannot block (the case for the enemies is different: their blocks block everything, so this tool is a lot more effective when at their disposal)

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015
"Press block to block" is extremely useful information.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Indeed it is.

The uselessness of the block function in general is probably why they took it out of Defiance. One other thing they took out which I actually miss is free camera control; I'd forgotten about that. Still, while Defiance isn't as focused on exploration, I think it's the only game in the series in which the combat could be described as 'fun.'

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Notice the new thread title, I think it's so right on so many levels

A fool I am, I published the video, like, two hours ago, yet forgot to post the update in the thread :v:

---

KieranWalker posted:

Indeed it is.

The uselessness of the block function in general is probably why they took it out of Defiance. One other thing they took out which I actually miss is free camera control; I'd forgotten about that. Still, while Defiance isn't as focused on exploration, I think it's the only game in the series in which the combat could be described as 'fun.'

I don't know how it works for a controller, but during combat the mouse controls Raziel and not the camera anyway, which sometimes ends up screwing with the player.
Defiance camera is known to screw with people... but I never had any trouble with it. At all. Even the nastiest of jumps and random camera angle switches were never an issue for me there. Why - I do not know

--------
Unrelated: I recorded the next part and the footage ended up choppy as gently caress for some reason. It's watchable, but the 60fps video looks as if it's at 20fps at best. Further updates may be delayed if I don't manage to fix this thing quickly. I'm sad, and not only because I will have to begin to replay one of the most frustrating parts of the game, but also because I was displaying some Accounting Nightmare DMC LPs levels of competence :argh:

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 3, 2016

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015
The trick to Defiance is if you hold the same direction you were holding before the camera changes you keep going in the same direction you were before the camera change, e.g if you're going right and the camera changes to be behind you if you keep holding right you will go forwards.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
One thing I don't like is how the background sometimes seems to zoom in and zoom out constantly in some cutscenes. Is that supposed to show that what's happening has some psychological component, or is it a problem with the port or...? Sorry if you mentioned it in a previous cutscene where that happened or earlier in the thread, I must have missed/forgot the explanation.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zanzibar Ham posted:

One thing I don't like is how the background sometimes seems to zoom in and zoom out constantly in some cutscenes. Is that supposed to show that what's happening has some psychological component, or is it a problem with the port or...? Sorry if you mentioned it in a previous cutscene where that happened or earlier in the thread, I must have missed/forgot the explanation.

It's an indication of a temporal distortion. The broken (and then unbroken) Reaver was creating this vertigo, as its breaking resulted in a paradox. It happens outside of cutscenes, too, when you can approach the blade

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

It's an indication of a temporal distortion. The broken (and then unbroken) Reaver was creating this vertigo, as its breaking resulted in a paradox. It happens outside of cutscenes, too, when you can approach the blade

Okay, so there's an explanation, but it's really annoying to watch. I wish they could think of a subtler effect.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Okay, so there's an explanation, but it's really annoying to watch. I wish they could think of a subtler effect.

If you find that annoying, then, once I get there, you'll want to skip Raziel's sections in Defiance altogether :v:

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's used in film all the time:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

If you find that annoying, then, once I get there, you'll want to skip Raziel's sections in Defiance altogether :v:

:sigh:

I'll have to suffer the effect to hear the dialogue, if it's like in this game it'll be worth it.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

I don't know how it works for a controller, but during combat the mouse controls Raziel and not the camera anyway, which sometimes ends up screwing with the player.

It depends on the controller, but generally speaking the camera motion is on a separate input from any of the combat buttons, so it's never an issue. It's SUPPOSED to be the right stick, but I'm using a controller that has analog triggers, which the game treats as a control stick axis instead of buttons. So the camera motion winds up mapped to the triggers.

It's a little bit different for Defiance, because you can actually set which axis handles what little camera control you've got in that game. So I can set the camera panning to the right stick as it's supposed to be, but the right and left triggers can't be assigned to any other button inputs because the game still thinks they're a control stick or a slider of some kind.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

KieranWalker posted:

It depends on the controller, but generally speaking the camera motion is on a separate input from any of the combat buttons, so it's never an issue. It's SUPPOSED to be the right stick, but I'm using a controller that has analog triggers, which the game treats as a control stick axis instead of buttons. So the camera motion winds up mapped to the triggers.

It's a little bit different for Defiance, because you can actually set which axis handles what little camera control you've got in that game. So I can set the camera panning to the right stick as it's supposed to be, but the right and left triggers can't be assigned to any other button inputs because the game still thinks they're a control stick or a slider of some kind.

You can just use this: http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/pc-controller-support/alpha-gamepad-joystick/xbox-360-ps3-psx-etc/legacy-of-kain-defiance

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I'm pretty sure using a Dualshock 2, I'd be able to map the buttons exactly as they are in the PS2 version of the game. I just haven't been bothered to look for my USB adapter.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Okay
This is now pissing me off
I didn't change anything in either the recording settings or in the game settings (in-game or its properties as an application)
Why the gently caress is my footage now choppy
And yes, I did play until the next checkpoint (which is highly stressful) twice already

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Could some background process (Like Windows Update or something, I don't know) be taking up CPU and RAM, and affecting the recording software but not the game itself? I'm not really sure what else it could be.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
That is possible. It's weird, because I have had 7 videos recorded beforehand and there was no stuttering (I was recording in 1080p/60fps, too: turns out that a video has to be uploaded in a specific format to YT for it to have a 60fps option). I'll try recording again tomorrow while making sure that there are no background processes, right now I'm exhausted after expending all that effort on not dying in the segment that comes next. Twice.

EDIT: recording in 720p seems to fix the problem. Weird. Ah well, 720p is HD too :v:

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 3, 2016

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Wouldn't this technically be the third paradox in the series? The first in BO and the third we just saw, but by my understanding (and possibly remembering dialog from later in this game), we saw a minor paradox in the first Soul Reaver.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Well, my understanding is that a paradox requires that history is altered in some way (which in SR it's not), and what happens in SR is thus not a paradox
Am I correctly assuming that you're talking about the Soul Reaver breaking upon encountering Raziel due to being unable to destroy itself?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Yeah, I think Raziel even states exactly that the paradox was what broke the blade. That's what's throwing me off because it seems like history wasn't altered in the way the other two were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Maybe we can differentiate between a paradox and the paradoxes, then :sparkles:

• Locked thread