Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
What a mishmash of other languages English is. There are touches of just about every European language and several American ones in the US dialect alone. Who knows how many loan words African English has, or Australian English. It's kind of interesting to think about how different the language could be from place to place.

Then you get the internet coming along, and it's starting to homogenize with itself through osmosis. I can't even count the number of British-isms I casually inject into conversations now, simply because I've talked to so many people from the UK over the last fifteen-odd years.

So all that being said, has Amy Hennig or anyone who worked on the games expounded upon the scope of Nosgoth? Are we talking about another world, a continent, a country? There's a lot of eastern European influence in the series' naming conventions, at the very least, though that could simply be a product of the folklore LoK is based on in the first place.

Edit: And I'm not sure who bought me this avatar or why, so... thanks, mystery person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

KieranWalker posted:

So all that being said, has Amy Hennig or anyone who worked on the games expounded upon the scope of Nosgoth? Are we talking about another world, a continent, a country? There's a lot of eastern European influence in the series' naming conventions, at the very least, though that could simply be a product of the folklore LoK is based on in the first place.

It's left ambiguous about the scale of Nosgoth, and if it refers to the world, a region, or whatever. Blood Omen 2 explores a more southern area than seen previously.
Generally it seems to be based on Central/Eastern Europe, (with the very Germanic town names) but stuff like the forges and a few other places seem to be based on other cultures (Egyptian, Meso-American, Turkish - or at least Middle-eastern).

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I should have made the entire LP in this manner

EDIT: I hope I didn't ostracize those who aren't fans of metal, I tried to choose something that wasn't very grindy :v:

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 17, 2016

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
No, that was pretty much perfect. Well done.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This is a relief

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Least it wasn't Grindcore.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Well, I am no grindcore connoisseur.
But even if I was, I wouldn't have put it into the video, as that would be second in obnoxiousness only to RnB hip-hop (or whatever it is called) about money and asses.

Fun fact: I blast death metal in the gym not just because I like to blast death metal, but primarily because I want to keep masterpieces such as "Booty" out of my mind during lifts.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Very cool genocide run!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Very cool genocide run!

This is the perfect name for it.
I shall steal it!

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
The visitations to Mr tentacle face are always awkward, swimming around him in silence, listening to him complain about failures, then its "oh look at the time" and off we go.

Pity Nosgoth is so small and covered in high cliffs that it is the only route to the swamps.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Lord Malfegor posted:

The visitations to Mr tentacle face are always awkward, swimming around him in silence, listening to him complain about failures, then its "oh look at the time" and off we go.

Pity Nosgoth is so small and covered in high cliffs that it is the only route to the swamps.

That's what I like about this most recent visit. The Elder God gets off one line and then Raziel calls him on his bullshit and Squiddly-Diddly sits there and takes it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

DukeofCA posted:

That's what I like about this most recent visit. The Elder God gets off one line and then Raziel calls him on his bullshit and Squiddly-Diddly sits there and takes it.

Technically, Raziel never visits the squid, he just passes by en route to or from the swamp.
That's why when I tried to get there deliberately to take a close look at how small the squid is in the past, there wasn't a cutscene for that instance.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
And this concludes the LP

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
"Apparently I am" remains one of my favorite ironic quips in the series, but top billing has to go to Kain in Defiance.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Here we are. I really liked the character of Raziel but after this stunt.......something changed and not for the better.

The problem is that, in order to make more satisfying and less problematic the act of killing humans who in fact ARE protecting defenseless human from predatory monsters, they made them alla bunch of pricks, of sanctimonious murderers; more or less the same thing James Cameron did with "Avatar", and with the same distasteful result. The case about humanRaziel is particularly irksome, for his dialogue seem to show him as motivated only by spite.
In fact was an occasione, and a complete characterization, completely wasted. Personally I'd have approved much more to find he was an avenger, pushed on the road of cruelty by some personal loss; a dialogue reminiscent of Shylock in the "Merchant of Venice" would have been fantastic: < If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?>. Given the thematic about the full circle, this would have created a lot of soul searching occasion for Raziel : a being consumed an defined by vengeance both in life and in unlife. Sadly, this didn't happen.

Ok. Thank you for sharing this LP with us all. And now, let's brace for the trainwreck (BO2).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Wow, this is really crazy... So there's Sarafan Raziel, Vampire Raziel, Wraith Raziel, Soul Reaver Raziel, and Spectral Reaver Raziel? Raziels everywhere!

What's funny is that while it took me completely by surprise, I think that now that I saw this I actually remember reading about this twist long ago, though if I really did I don't know where or when.

Anyway, it was a great watch. Sounds like the next game will be kind of eh, but I'll try to keep watching.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guy Fawkes posted:

Here we are. I really liked the character of Raziel but after this stunt.......something changed and not for the better.

The problem is that, in order to make more satisfying and less problematic the act of killing humans who in fact ARE protecting defenseless human from predatory monsters, they made them alla bunch of pricks, of sanctimonious murderers; more or less the same thing James Cameron did with "Avatar", and with the same distasteful result. The case about humanRaziel is particularly irksome, for his dialogue seem to show him as motivated only by spite.
In fact was an occasione, and a complete characterization, completely wasted. Personally I'd have approved much more to find he was an avenger, pushed on the road of cruelty by some personal loss; a dialogue reminiscent of Shylock in the "Merchant of Venice" would have been fantastic: < If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?>. Given the thematic about the full circle, this would have created a lot of soul searching occasion for Raziel : a being consumed an defined by vengeance both in life and in unlife. Sadly, this didn't happen.

Ok. Thank you for sharing this LP with us all. And now, let's brace for the trainwreck (BO2).

Do mind that we don't meet any normal (ie: non-zealous crusader/hunter) humans, and that Moebius is a master of manipulation and keeping them blind with rage and spite keeps them from asking questions.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Kains face of horror was the realisation that blood omen 2 happened.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Iretep posted:

Kains face of horror was the realisation that blood omen 2 happened.

You, sir, just created the thread title for BO2. Assuming that it fits.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Lot's of great little things in this sequence of events. Moebius' professional pride in his work (I'M the Time Streamer), the explanation for Malek's failure to protect the Circle from Vorador's assault in Blood Omen, the fact that Moebius did nothing to save Malek from his punishment even though he was acting under Moebius' orders, the subtle changes in Michael Bell's performance when Raziel begins to fall under the Reaver's influence and the small variations in human and wraith Raziel's voices, acknowledging the lack of Turel in SR1, and finally putting a name to the "Diabolical They" that have been dogging Kain and Raziel throughout the timelines. All serve to help lessen the tediousness of the final fights and really tie the storyline together.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Okay, so I'm not sure I've managed to keep track of all the iterations of the Reaver.

What happens without the most recent paradox? The physical one: Forged by Vorador, left in Janos's keep, stolen by the Sarafan, absorbs Raziel, what happens now? It seems to double at this point, William the Just is gifted with one by Moebius, and Kain finds one in Avernus Cathedral some time later in Blood Omen. Then Kain travels to the past, William's reaver breaks and gets repaired when an earlier version of Raziel travels to the past from millenia later. Then it seemingly drops off from the story. Kain keeps his for over a thousand years, then it shatters and Raziel's spirit that was trapped inside binds to his Wraith self.

So... where did William's blade come from?

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
Elegantly choreographed.

The conflict between the humans and the vampires was rather black and white, I think they could of done more to make the human characters more rational.

Poor Malak, it wasn't his fault that he failed to protect the circle.

Anyhow, great thread. What are you going to play for your LP holiday?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Aumanor posted:

Okay, so I'm not sure I've managed to keep track of all the iterations of the Reaver.

What happens without the most recent paradox? The physical one: Forged by Vorador, left in Janos's keep, stolen by the Sarafan, absorbs Raziel, what happens now? It seems to double at this point, William the Just is gifted with one by Moebius, and Kain finds one in Avernus Cathedral some time later in Blood Omen. Then Kain travels to the past, William's reaver breaks and gets repaired when an earlier version of Raziel travels to the past from millenia later. Then it seemingly drops off from the story. Kain keeps his for over a thousand years, then it shatters and Raziel's spirit that was trapped inside binds to his Wraith self.

It becomes really iffy by this point (mostly because William's storyline ceases to be relevant by now). The way I understand it, the Reaver gifted by Moebius to William is from an unspecified time in future ("future" being relative to the Sarafan era), because, as we now know, it is Raziel's destiny to eventually get consumed by the sword.

Lord Malfegor posted:

Elegantly choreographed.

The conflict between the humans and the vampires was rather black and white, I think they could of done more to make the human characters more rational.

Poor Malak, it wasn't his fault that he failed to protect the circle.

Anyhow, great thread. What are you going to play for your LP holiday?

Undecided so far. I'm rocking back and forth between wanting to LP Rayman 3 and Jotun (it's an indie game released last September, available on Steam). The first one I am more knowledgeable about, the second one is more artsy and much shorter.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
OMG!!! That was freaking ridiculous! I love it sooo much. I wonder why the vampire must stay dead. What role does he play now?

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Aumanor posted:

In fact the timeline has more than a hole, in fact there were a few things to be explained, but then BO2 happened and created other problems, so many that even Defiance wasn't able to solve.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Do mind that we don't meet any normal (ie: non-zealous crusader/hunter) humans, and that Moebius is a master of manipulation and keeping them blind with rage and spite keeps them from asking questions.

Yes, I mind, but it still leaves me so, unfulfilled: so much potential for irony, tragedy and a contemplation on the nature of vengeance and sorrow simply ignored, in order to offer us a showdown with someting quite similar to a black-hat-mustache-twirling villain from a bad comedy.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zain posted:

OMG!!! That was freaking ridiculous! I love it sooo much. I wonder why the vampire must stay dead. What role does he play now?

Last 40 minutes of Defiance is where the answers are :v:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Alexeythegreat posted:

It becomes really iffy by this point (mostly because William's storyline ceases to be relevant by now). The way I understand it, the Reaver gifted by Moebius to William is from an unspecified time in future ("future" being relative to the Sarafan era), because, as we now know, it is Raziel's destiny to eventually get consumed by the sword.

Comedy option: Moebius picks up the blade from William's tomb, travels back in time, gives it to William, the blade shatters, Raziel repairs it and leaves it in William's tomb when he refuses to kill Kain, Moebius pick up the blade from William's tomb,

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Alexeythegreat posted:

Last 40 minutes of Defiance is where the answers are :v:

But I want the answers NAOW! (Just me being impatent please don't actually spoil this)

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zain posted:

But I want the answers NAOW! (Just me being impatent please don't actually spoil this)

You will be surprised!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Alexeythegreat posted:

You, sir, just created the thread title for BO2. Assuming that it fits.

The Horrifying Result of the Third Paradox: Let's Play Blood Omen 2

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Blood Omen 2 is a game I really don't remember much of, outside of a few glaring story inconsistencies, some of which Defiance tried to answer and The Eternal Prison which I remember being really trippy to my teenage self and I remember towards the endgame being really bored and the environments became really repetitive hallways so it'll be interesting to revisit it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

The only thing I really remember from Blood Omen 2 is the spells and they were kinda cool~ That and they turned teh game into a stealth game.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Glancing at this LP inspired me to glance at the Legacy of Kain wikia, which trapped me for several consecutive hours as I tried to figure out this series' story.

I came to the following conclusions:

1. Time travel is dumb

2. Making timeline pages for a story that heavily features time travel is something of a fool's errand

3. Different studios should really get their story straight if they're working on the same franchise.

All that being said, I really wish I had played Blood Omen and Soul Reaver back in the day. Blood Omen in particular strikes me as pretty awesome for 1996.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Zain posted:

The only thing I really remember from Blood Omen 2 is the spells and they were kinda cool~ That and they turned teh game into a stealth game.

When it comes to Blood Omen 2, oblivion can be a mercy.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Cathode Raymond posted:

Glancing at this LP inspired me to glance at the Legacy of Kain wikia, which trapped me for several consecutive hours as I tried to figure out this series' story.

I came to the following conclusions:

1. Time travel is dumb

2. Making timeline pages for a story that heavily features time travel is something of a fool's errand

3. Different studios should really get their story straight if they're working on the same franchise.

All that being said, I really wish I had played Blood Omen and Soul Reaver back in the day. Blood Omen in particular strikes me as pretty awesome for 1996.

I don't know if you've seen Jsor's Warcraft 3 thread, but there's a reason why I asked for non-wiki writeups on the post-The Frozen Throne story :v:
It's impossible to figure a storyline out from disjointed wiki articles, as they by their nature don't ever provide you context for anything.

Also, the different studios thing: that's actually massive. We will discuss it more when BO2 commences

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Aumanor posted:

After the climax of Soul Reaver 2, the Soul Reaver can be presumed to be in Moebius's hands--or would be, if Kain and Raziel hadn't tampered with history (though, at present, events still appear to line up as they did before). Eventually he gifts it to William the Just, who shatters it in his fight against Kain. FutureKain and Raziel meet up at William's tomb, where Raziel's magical nature repairs the blade. At some point after that, it either ends up in or Moebius plants the repaired Soul Reaver in Avernus for Kain to find. Kain goes into the past, shatters William's blade, returns to the present, and then proceeds to rule for an unspecified period of what may be millenia. And you know what happens to it after that.

Guy Fawkes posted:

In fact the timeline has more than a hole, in fact there were a few things to be explained, but then BO2 happened and created other problems, so many that even Defiance wasn't able to solve.

There's really only one plot hole in the series. The rest are a bunch of issues which aren't addressed but aren't inherently holes in the plot. That hole comes in Defiance, and it's less an issue of things making sense and more an issue of the writers briefly losing track of who said what when during Blood Omen.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Blood Omen 2: I knew by the look on Kain's face that this time we had strained the limits of good taste perhaps too far.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oddly enough, SR2 kept freezing up on me during the credits, and I think it took them about twice as long as it should've as a result.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

George posted:

Blood Omen 2: I knew by the look on Kain's face that this time we had strained the limits of good taste perhaps too far.

"My god, the Hylden! Raziel, Blood Omen 2 must stay dead! " :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So let me get this straight: Raziel is the Soul Reaver.
That much is known.
And its power comes from it being infused with wraith Raziels soul hunger as well as its original vampire magic powers.
Right?

• Locked thread