Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Soul Reaver II was a vast improvement above the first one, but while liked it, in the end I found myself not enjoying very much the development of the story: this especially because it destroyed the strange irony of the first game, the monster that hunts the other monsters end try to redeem its past. This, and the fact that all the humans that appears in the story are negative figures. Among the Mobius Mercenaries or the very Sarafan there were also people scared and trying to protect their families form the fangs of the vampires, which were an effective possibility, and that's ignored, they are treated like scum unworthy of life or mercy. Heck, in the first game humans' life was miserable, forced to live in refuges and in costant fear of the vampires, under a bleak sky and with an even bleakest future. They were ready to think that the monstruos figure of Raziel was an emissary of salvation, only because he had killed vampires and spared a human. Such is the rule of Kain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Zain posted:

The LoK games probably is the only series that seems to do time travel and not make it a complete loving mess. Which I really appreciate cause most of the time I roll my eyes so fast at time travel story lines.

That was true until BO2, which totally messed the story up leaving a handful of plot holes that not even Defiance was able to correct, first of all the presence of Vorador.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

I'd say that SR2 just shifted the focus to time travel and manipulation of the player character by literally everyone, kind of how it was in Blood Omen

That's true, and that was what made the game enjoyable and the story compelling. But the way normal humans are treated in the game, especially the one with lines of dialogue, or the story characters, become more and more cringeworthy while the story unfolds. The violence of the Sarafan or the brutalty o Mobius horde is costantly brought to the attention, but the horrid crimes Kain and his vampires committed, the sufferences they inflicted on the mortals are glissed over.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

"They fear what they don't understand, and they despise what they fear."

Uuuhhhhhhh, Janos....... maybe, the fact that vampires, in order to feed, actively hunts and kill humans draining them of their blood HAS a part in their fear of you and your kin.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Here we are. I really liked the character of Raziel but after this stunt.......something changed and not for the better.

The problem is that, in order to make more satisfying and less problematic the act of killing humans who in fact ARE protecting defenseless human from predatory monsters, they made them alla bunch of pricks, of sanctimonious murderers; more or less the same thing James Cameron did with "Avatar", and with the same distasteful result. The case about humanRaziel is particularly irksome, for his dialogue seem to show him as motivated only by spite.
In fact was an occasione, and a complete characterization, completely wasted. Personally I'd have approved much more to find he was an avenger, pushed on the road of cruelty by some personal loss; a dialogue reminiscent of Shylock in the "Merchant of Venice" would have been fantastic: < If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?>. Given the thematic about the full circle, this would have created a lot of soul searching occasion for Raziel : a being consumed an defined by vengeance both in life and in unlife. Sadly, this didn't happen.

Ok. Thank you for sharing this LP with us all. And now, let's brace for the trainwreck (BO2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Aumanor posted:

Okay, so I'm not sure I've managed to keep track of all the iterations of the Reaver.

What happens without the most recent paradox? The physical one: Forged by Vorador, left in Janos's keep, stolen by the Sarafan, absorbs Raziel, what happens now? It seems to double at this point, William the Just is gifted with one by Moebius, and Kain finds one in Avernus Cathedral some time later in Blood Omen. Then Kain travels to the past, William's reaver breaks and gets repaired when an earlier version of Raziel travels to the past from millenia later. Then it seemingly drops off from the story. Kain keeps his for over a thousand years, then it shatters and Raziel's spirit that was trapped inside binds to his Wraith self.

So... where did William's blade come from?

In fact the timeline has more than a hole, in fact there were a few things to be explained, but then BO2 happened and created other problems, so many that even Defiance wasn't able to solve.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Do mind that we don't meet any normal (ie: non-zealous crusader/hunter) humans, and that Moebius is a master of manipulation and keeping them blind with rage and spite keeps them from asking questions.

Yes, I mind, but it still leaves me so, unfulfilled: so much potential for irony, tragedy and a contemplation on the nature of vengeance and sorrow simply ignored, in order to offer us a showdown with someting quite similar to a black-hat-mustache-twirling villain from a bad comedy.

• Locked thread