Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Zain posted:

I heard that BO2 was an Alternate Universe. Like a WHAT IF scenario.

It technically is an alternate "universe" in that every time a paradox occurs the current one splits in two and the old one just sort of fades away and dies. You can actually see this happen I believe multiple times in this game when one occurs and characters are suddenly flooded with all sorts of new memories in order to have what they have done, and will do, match up with what they just did to cause it. From a purely "in game lore" standpoint, everything we saw happen in Blood Omen and Soul Reaver have now never actually happened the way they did originally and only Kain, Raziel, Mobius, and the Elder God (plus one other character waiting in the wings) have any idea what happened in the "past" because they are all either the direct or indirect catalysts of every paradox. This is how Blood Omen 2 and Defiance play into the series, as it's Kain and Raziel retreading old ground that time "forgot" in new ways because it happened different the second (4th) time around.

Guy Fawkes posted:

That's true, and that was what made the game enjoyable and the story compelling. But the way normal humans are treated in the game, especially the one with lines of dialogue, or the story characters, become more and more cringeworthy while the story unfolds. The violence of the Sarafan or the brutalty o Mobius horde is costantly brought to the attention, but the horrid crimes Kain and his vampires committed, the sufferences they inflicted on the mortals are glissed over.

It isn't until really late in the series when you start to find out that the way they are being depicted makes sense with the revelation of them being puppets and religious zealots following a rotten egg across time and space. But it does have the secondary effect of painting the main characters as mass murderers with very a strong "ends justify the means" mentality, which by today's standards isn't very different from other game "heroes" for example Nathan Drake, but in these games there are consequences to your actions and a well fleshed out story telling you just what those consequences are, so to have that bit go completely untouched for so long is strange. I'm not sure if that revelation in the story came along because they took a look at their characters and saw that their good guys were actually reprehensible, or if it was the plan all along, and at this point we will probably never know. Though if we do ever get another LoK game it's pretty exciting to know that it will be coming from the guys that are making some of the best action adventure games on the market currently.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Crigit posted:

Huh? Amy Hennig is currently working at visceral, and square enix has the rights to the franchise. The new tomb raiders are pretty fun games but their writing is atrocious, and LoK games live or die on their writing.

There's probably only 3 or 4 writers left in games I would consider "good" and Hennig is tied to Star Wars for the next forever. At this point I would take a halfway decently written resolution over what BO2 had, so long as it has some well made environments and actually fun gameplay, which the new Tomb Raider's definitely are. Compared to BO2 which had mediocre writing AND bad worlds with unfun gameplay. It's a sad state of the world that it's literally a "pick 2" triangle these days.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Alexeythegreat posted:

Wait, we actually know that it's 1313 and not some "unspecified" Star Wars project?

No, 1313 is "cancelled" as it stands, but pending some third party licensing it could get picked up by some other dev. So even if it did come back in a few years someone else would be making it and at best Hennig would be a consultant. Now that Battlefront is out the only other projects are "unannounced Star Wars projects" unfortunately.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wow, poor Raziel. He's pretty much everybody's pawn. The worst is that he thinks he's doing anything of his own will.

I wonder if he was actually very terrible as a Sarafan to deserve all this? Though really I think it's just a world that screws over everybody always.

Oh my poor sweet summer child.

At least by the end of this one we'll get some answers about the Seraphim. Not all of the answers of course, but enough.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Master Mathuinsaur posted:

I am very interested to know how the mercenary army managed to find and kill every single vampire in every corner of Nosgoth (apart from Kain of course), is this event ever detailed? And could Kain not create more vampire spawn and then offer himself to the pillar so his race would not go extinct?

I don't know what will happen in the rest of SR2 and beyond so this is just a guess, I bet those the race of blue people were angels who created the pillars and then were corrupted by the demons somehow and became vampires, which is why Kain believes he owns the pillars. We have not seen any angels but I assume if there are demons then there may be of been more divine beings around at one point. :angel:

Thankyou Alexey for your massive LOK LP quest.

EDIT: Thinking about it even more, even if vampires were extinct you could get a necromancer to make a new one (that is how Kain became one after he died)

EDIT EDIT: And since Kain and the clan leaders were turned into vampires after death, why are vampires raised from graveyards all deformed and zombie-like?

There was only one necromancer, the guardian of death, but Kain killed him and because Kain hasn't sacrificed himself yet there isn't a new one of those around. If Kain simply kills himself at this point it doesn't cleanse the pillars, it just completely destroys them. This is what Kain is trying to get around while also trying to not have to kill himself.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
For a very long time there were 3 races: vampires, (primitive) humans, and the mysterious green race that the vampires waged war against. It wasn't until the end of that war that vampires became the immortal blood drinking versions that Kain represents. With the introduction ofJanos it becomes clear just how terrible that final curse really was, as they mostly all went mad and killed themselves. The ones that were left were all essentially going through the motions of protecting the pillars until someone could figure out a solution that would never come. Why that is so important doesn't really come to light until the end of this game, and even then it takes Defiance to actually show the repercussions. Janos knows all of what's really happening because he was there for the war and the fallout, and doesn't hate humans because he remembers them from when they were essentially babies that were forced into a suddenly incredibly harsh world where their gods had actively turned against them. Of course they are scared and angry because of that.

Quite a long way to fall for a highly advanced and benevolent race that was worshipped as gods by the fledgling humans.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
4 Balls on the Edge of a Cliff (A Blood Omen 2 Screenshot LP)

• Locked thread