Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Satone
Feb 10, 2007
Good to the last drop
Look I'm a casual Star Wars fan. I liked the original trilogy, and mostly hated the prequels like everyone else. I'm not familiar with the inside nerd references, jokes and whatnot so here goes.

If you've been on the fence about seeing this wondering whether it was gonna be terrible like the prequels, I have the answer for you. Its not. The movie delivers. Like hell it delivers.

Episode VII brings a lot of interesting new characters to the screen, while sprinkling in the old favorites as well. We get a great new villain (complete with his own sithlord master, too), he's not quite Darth Vader and I like that. He's trying more to do his own thing, while still being an evil motherfucker. We get a fun, quirky, new droid, a stormtrooper with a heart, and a female co-lead (with a bare minimum of backstory so far, unfortunately). It's got many familiar faces, such as Leia, R2-D2, C-3PO Luke Skywalker and of course Han Solo and Chewbacca. There's a Yoda parallel (who also does her own thing, but it remains to be seen if she will become as iconic as him). Even Admiral Ackbar gets a few frames in there. There are lots of great parallels and shots reminiscent of the original trilogy (I'm thinking of Ren's scooter ride across the desert to Luke's hovercraft ride in A New Hope). And there are little injections of humor here and there that lighten the mood, while suitably not distracting the plot.

Just as there are plenty of references to IV, V, and VI Abrams did the audience a solid and didn't even glance at the prequels (far as I can tell at least; loving Jar Jar Binks is nowhere to be seen, thank god).

This movie is everything I hoped it could be. Can't wait to see Episode VIII.

Satone fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU