Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Raisins are good as part of a complete trail diet but just make sure it's not the only thing you eat or you won't get far

Tell us your favourite outdoor meals, snacks, and dinners so we can all make some kick-rear end food while on the move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

One trail mix to rule them all.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
My official hiking snack is landjager from Bavarian Meats. Anything with a lot of calories is good for you when you're hiking.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Landjager looks very interesting; I'd never heard of it, might give it a look. Thanks!

My favorites:

Homemade granola
Homemade bufallo jerky
Avocado, goes very well with the jerky as a complete lunch
Trader Joe's dried Montgomery cherries and California apricots
Homemade dried/powdered chicken stir fry with banh pho my tho made as a soup
One habanero, just in case the trip didn't naturally involve type II fun

Yeah, the manual work involved with a good outing starts at home :cool:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trail mix with raisins are gross.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I love bringing a block of cheese on long hikes to complement the more sugary and protein heavy snacks

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Trail mix with raisins are gross.

Agreed. Dried pineapple 4 lyfe.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Save me jeebus posted:

Agreed. Dried pineapple 4 lyfe.

I'm more of a granola and nut guy. I don't like dried fruit of any kind. I've taken canned pineapple camping before though because I'm a freak of nature.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm more of a granola and nut guy. I don't like dried fruit of any kind. I've taken canned pineapple camping before though because I'm a freak of nature.

Food/drink is one easy/important thing that adds so much comfort when you're out and far, we all have our version and you're no freak :).

Go look at any mountaineering formus, see how many of them post pictures of the big glass bottle of beer they took to their summit. Doesn't exactly match the overpriced ultralight disposable aluminium crampons they're wearing. You need at least a few comfort items :)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is this the post your GORP thread? gorp

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

That's some of the best looking homemade gorp I've seen!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Blueberries are really expensive where I live, and sometimes grocery stores sell them for super cheap just before they expire. I like to stock up and freeze them so I can dry them later, because dried blueberries are the bomb

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Blueberries are really expensive where I live, and sometimes grocery stores sell them for super cheap just before they expire. I like to stock up and freeze them so I can dry them later, because dried blueberries are the bomb

Just ring the dried ones up as raisins :twisted:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Epitope posted:

Just ring the dried ones up as raisins :twisted:

Do you think the self-checkouts could tell the weight difference? Hmmm. HMMMMMMM.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

Do you think the self-checkouts could tell the weight difference? Hmmm. HMMMMMMM.

Doesn't matter if they can you're already prepared for life on the lam FUC KTHE POLICE

As far as beverages go I kinda like Labrador tea and instant black coffee. Bannock is simple as poo poo to make and warm bread is awesome to have at night or when it's windy out. I like jerky but it's usually super salty and pretty expensive. I'll pack some summer sausage which is just as unhealthy, but it's a lot cheaper and all that fat adds flavor to rice/beans/whatever.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 27, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
banana chips are the loving worst goddamn

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Raisins are for the bourgeois, if you want to keep it real, just stop by the Dollar Tree for as many cookies as possible.

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.
you have to keep your eye out for them, but there are these energy bars with a picture of a mountain climber on them that are pretty good.

i'll post a picture if i can remember their name. anyway thats been my go to source of energy---good protein and lots of flavours!

edit:

clif bars

Mathlete fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 28, 2015

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Most of my hikes are short, so I start the day with a nice big AZ breakfast; chorizo, eggs, tortilla, some cholula, a coffee. That fills my belly up nicely for the rest of the day until about 2PM. So on the hike I just take plenty of water. It is important to not litter and I don't like to keep track of garbage. I travel lite.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

No matter what I end up eating for dinner, I bring a bag of tortillas with me. I put the tortilla in my bowl and then ladle whatever stew or rice thing I made over it. Makes cleanup so much easier.

Zataran's Rice + 1 Can of Chicken + sliced Summer Sausage + Chunks of Sharp Cheddar + whatever spices I bring = a good simple meal.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I prefer a mix of 60% peanuts, 30% raisins, and 10% M&Ms. Trail mix more complex then that can get hosed.

Oddly, on day hikes and overnights I eat like a fat bastard but on the few longer trips my appetite completely shuts down by the second night and I have to force myself to eat. I guess it will be a way to save weight but it's still kinda alarming.

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

Craisins better than raisins. I see craisins. Look at those craisins.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

definitely true

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Clif bars. Clif bars as far as the eye can see!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I got some bulk trail mix recently that had craisins and it was really good, definitely substitute if possible

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Yes to cranberries! They often have oil added, which is good also.

It takes a bit to get used to, but I highly recommend unsweetened dried Montgomery Cherries to break the fruit monotony.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

VendaGoat posted:

the neighborhood grocery had boxes of all the seasonal Clif bars for $2.50 each, needless to say I took that opportunity to stock up

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:

Picnic Princess posted:

A grocery store around here sells sweetened dried cranberries cheap by the pound, right next to the dried blueberries. Just load up a sack and ringem both as cranberries.

(They use to have all kinds of dried fruits/vegies, but most of it has been replaced by 20 different varieties of granola. :/ )

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 6, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i don't do too many hikes that are long enough where i need to bring food, but when i do i bring nuts or a nutty bar because fat is more efficient and you'll probably find some black caps or other berries, or could tap a maple or black birch if you need simple sugars anyway

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
landjager is loving amazing

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

VendaGoat posted:

I have moved on from Cliff and usually eat kind and Lara bars. Way better. Also Lara bars don't freeze during the winter like Cliff bars.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I'm pretty sure I've spent more energy chewing frozen cliff bars than I got out of them.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I like to make custom trail mixes from the bulk bins at the grocery store - I usually start with a scoop of the standard trail mix with peanuts, raisins, m&ms and almonds, and I add to that. Walnuts, chocolate covered cherries, etc. are awesome. There are a bunch of options to mess with at the Sprouts that I go to.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

OMGVBFLOL posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rsf mods shop at whole foods unironically

e: so does the awful app

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 13, 2016

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

this guy gets it

Baked goods? Petite bourgeois scum. 10 lbs of rice and a 22 should be all a man needs

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Raisins aren't bourgeois enough, I go to the local boulangerie and pick up a 4$ almond croissant before outings I'm enthusiastic about.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Just munch on dried beans and uncooked rice. Let your stomach work out the details of making it edible.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Probably burns more calories than celery too.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

meselfs posted:

Raisins aren't bourgeois enough, I go to the local boulangerie and pick up a 4$ almond croissant before outings I'm enthusiastic about.

I'd brought some cheese and summer sausage hiking before but outside of the shoulder seasons it's way too warm and they'd just bleed grease into their ziplocks and were generally not that appealing. I used to live near a nice Italian grocery, and while prepping for a bigish group hike I thought I'd drop in, and see what alternatives I could find. I chatted with the old italian butcher/cheese dude and asked about meats and cheese well suited to hiking and he proceeded to launch into a lengthy discussion of traditional italian sheep herder provisions, which of course is perfect hiking food.

Hard (older) Asiago, Pecorino (pecorino alpino is a traditional mountain cheese!) and uh, some other cheese whose names elude me were purchased and dry cured spicy Calabrese too. There are a number of other dry cured sausages that are totally suitable for 4-7 days of unrefrigerated duty, also with weird names that I don't remember.

So, our walking lunch/snack regime consisted of whipping up a batch of hummus with lemon juice and olive oil (from powder; superlight high calorie food whose lightness I negated by the few small lemons I brought) and handing out flatbreads with a dollop of hummus, and slices of meat and cheese, followed around with a nalgene of cheap italian chianti.

TLDR; find an italian butcher, and pretend to be a shepherd; enjoy the best loving lunch/trail snacks ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hmm powdered hummus and flat bread for lunch sounds like a great idea, gently caress, why didn't I think of that before. Gonna have to look into that. I like cheese and sausage and triscuits for lunch but yeah I think the fat and greasiness of the sausage hurts my stomach sometimes. I used some cured hard salami type stuff last time too and it was better but still pretty greasy.

If you're really counting ounces you can get powdered lemon juice as well.

• Locked thread