Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

FeyerbrandX posted:

The crescent of doom that X shits out is my favorite Xbuster upgrade of the series, period.

Stupid loving purple laughing head tries to ambush you from behind? Eat a faaaabulous pink recoil without breaking stride.

Some of the later games buster upgrades are mechanically interesting but are lacking visually, X1 and X3 have the coolest looking ones in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's a pity X3's buster is really kind of terrible beyond it's asthetics. It takes so long to go off that you can't reliably hit a boss with it that isn't stationary. It does look impressive though. My favorites mechanically are X4's plasma ball and what X6 did with the charged swords

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Kurieg posted:

There are Met Vending Machines in the original series games as well.

Maybe they're like the old yarn about kids getting pet baby alligators and dumping them in the sewers, only serious.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Today we fight a wall and a face-tank, on Monday we take on Sigma himself!

Megaman X:
6. Rangda Rex Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
I... I never knew about cutting off the tentacles...

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Today we take on Sigma and put an end to the Maverick threat once and for all!

Megaman X:
8. Sigma Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

On Wednesday, everyone is happy and nothing bad ever happens again.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I really wish you could get the Hunter videos to display 60 fps, because those weapon effects are really nice. I'm still surprised that the Irregular videos manage to have the effects, even though it doesn't say it's displaying 60 fps.

I liked this game and X2. They're the only two I've played.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

bman in 2288 posted:

I really wish you could get the Hunter videos to display 60 fps, because those weapon effects are really nice. I'm still surprised that the Irregular videos manage to have the effects, even though it doesn't say it's displaying 60 fps.

I liked this game and X2. They're the only two I've played.

The Irregular videos were captured off an actual SNES, the reason the effects are visible is due to interlacing, basically you are getting two frames blended together. Starting with X4 the Hunter videos will be captured at 720p60fps and then likely upscaled to 1080 so you should be able to see the effects just fine.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Good ol' Gun Volt, why I bet that guy could carry his own game series some day. :allears:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
It amazes me that they use actual transparency in the credit sequences, but everywhere else they just flicker the relevant sprites every frame. I wonder if there's a technical reason for that or if they only figured out that they could do that when they were doing the credits.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Aerdan posted:

It amazes me that they use actual transparency in the credit sequences, but everywhere else they just flicker the relevant sprites every frame. I wonder if there's a technical reason for that or if they only figured out that they could do that when they were doing the credits.

That's a good question, the SNES is certainly capable of running full screen semi transparency, in fact I thin X1 uses is for the water overlay in Launch Octopuses stage.

It could be that running transparency on a sprite is far more computationally expensive than running it on an overlay. Or the transparent sprites need special set up or unique assets that would require doubling all the enemy sprites to have transparent and opaque sprites to swap between?

It's also possible that they felt the flickering better conveyed mercy invincibility than semi transparency did, in any case it's an interesting oddity.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Really enjoying this LP so far! I'm a huge Megaman fanboy, even though I don't know nearly as much about the series as you guys. Eagerly awaiting X2!

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Oh poo poo, apparently everything is not everlasting peace or whatever, some dudes is stirring up trouble. We should probably take a look at that.

Megaman X2:
1. Intro Sponge Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Wire Sponge's Japanese name, Wire Hetimarl, is derived from hechima, the Japanese word for luffa. Wire Sponge is literally a kitchen sponge.

It's a shame the opening stage is so short, the theme for it is probably my favorite song in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es7QWOumaiM

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I forgot to mention it earlier, but I do appreciate how Sigma's insignia is a stylized Greek Sigma fused with Velgauder.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

FeyerbrandX posted:

I forgot to mention it earlier, but I do appreciate how Sigma's insignia is a stylized Greek Sigma fused with Velgauder.

Makes it all the more odd that the dog never shows back up again.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

jivjov posted:

Makes it all the more odd that the dog never shows back up again.

There are two mass production variants that show up in one of the later games, but Velguarder himself never shows up again.*

Maybe Sigma is just really sentimental?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Velguarder failed. Sigma doesn't need failures.

Oh, you say Sigma failed multiple times? Actually, it wasn't him, it was the inferior bodies he inhabited. Sigma cannot fail, he can only be failed.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Today we learn why it's important not to flush baby alligators down the drain, also crabs.

Megaman X2:
2. Wheel Crab Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Random Mega Man X anecdote: I had the first game as a kid, but could never get X2 or X3. I kept asking my dad if we could get them, but the FuncoLand catalog (who remembers FuncoLand?!) had them listed at like $50 or $60. Which was far beyond 90s-kid-me's budget.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I have no clue when FuncoLand either went out of business or ended up absorbed by GameStop, but I do recall that the one purchase I made from them (as a child, of course) was Pokemon Red. The funny thing was that I never owned a Game Boy, but that wasn't much of an obstacle when I could just use a Super Game Boy to play it through my SNES.

But $50 to $60 for X2 or X3? That's surprisingly high. Was this at a time when the cartridge was out of production and highly sought after? I never really purchased many console games as a child - by the time I was in high school I had learned of the magic of emulation and :filez:.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NGDBSS posted:

But $50 to $60 for X2 or X3? That's surprisingly high. Was this at a time when the cartridge was out of production and highly sought after? I never really purchased many console games as a child - by the time I was in high school I had learned of the magic of emulation and :filez:.

That must've been it. I remember looking up the prices for them in their print catalog

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

jivjov posted:

That must've been it. I remember looking up the prices for them in their print catalog

I remember my dumb rear end thinking I'd get as much back for trading in games as their value in the catalog. Ended up trading in a bunch of games for not a lot of money and regretting it immediately.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Haha! Guess who forgot it was Monday! Have an update!

Megaman X2:
3. Flame Moth Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

The Casualty posted:

I remember my dumb rear end thinking I'd get as much back for trading in games as their value in the catalog. Ended up trading in a bunch of games for not a lot of money and regretting it immediately.

I know GameStop and their kin are vultures when it comes to used games and its a drat shame, that being said, I'm pretty sure SNES games retailed for around $50-60 back in the day, and X2 and 3 had special hardware in their carts that would have bumped up their MSRP

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 19, 2016

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

I know GameStop and their kin are vultures when it comes to used games and its a drat shame, that being said, I'm pretty sure SNES games retailed for around $50-60 back in the day, and X2 and 3 had special hardware in their carts that would have bumped up their MSRP

I kind of remember 60-70 being the cost for new games. Like you said special chips might bump it up, but the whole circuit board wasn't cost effective at all.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I swear Erik's super power is being able to get drunk out of his mind when reading character dialog.

Morph Moth is a really cool design, but the sprite limitations really make him look more like a rabbit than anything else.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
SNES games could run anywhere from $40 to $75 from what I remember. Considering the variety of ROM sizes and the occasional extra chip like the Super FX I guess the crazy price variance kind of makes sense.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Who loves ride chasers? I love ride chasers! These can't ever not be good!

Megaman X2:
4. Overdrive Centipede Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

Also, I hit the half way mark in editing this poo poo, yay me.

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 21, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MithosKuu posted:

Who loves ride chasers? I love ride chasers! These can't ever not be good!

Megaman X2:
4. Overdrive Centipede Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

Ride chasers are pretty boss.

Overdrive Ostrich was the only Maverick I was ever any good at beating the couple of times I rented this one.

I really don't like the look of the armor upgrades in this one; they don't seem to work well with the Maverick weapon color changes

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 21, 2016

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
So the thing with Wily's presence or lack thereof in the X series for me is mostly this interview with Inafune from a few years ago.

quote:

6) What happened to Dr. Wily in Rockman X series? Are Dr. Wily and Dr. Weil the same person? Were they ever supposed to be?

KI: A large amount of time has passed between the classic series and Mega Man X. Dr. Wily had died in the interim but was brought back by the virus. Dr. Wily and Weil are not the same person. It is ironic though, because Dr. Wily created Zero, and Dr. Weil used Zero, but ultimately it was a copy of Zero's original body with a different mind that defeated him.

Now, to be clear, I don't see the likes of Serges as literally being Dr. Wily, but I guess my personal headcanon is that the Maverick Virus contains programming based on Wily's personality akin to Light's AI in the capsules. This latches on to certain reploids like Serges and Isoc and while it doesn't turn them into Wily, it does influence their behavior, primarily by instilling an obsession with and knowledge of Zero.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Dresh posted:

So the thing with Wily's presence or lack thereof in the X series for me is mostly this interview with Inafune from a few years ago.

Now, to be clear, I don't see the likes of Serges as literally being Dr. Wily, but I guess my personal headcanon is that the Maverick Virus contains programming based on Wily's personality akin to Light's AI in the capsules. This latches on to certain reploids like Serges and Isoc and while it doesn't turn them into Wily, it does influence their behavior, primarily by instilling an obsession with and knowledge of Zero.

My new head-cannon is that Wily pulled a Dr. Gero and stuck his brain in a computer underground somewhere, let's say point 11F5646, and secretly manipulates/trolls the world. Because cartoonish super villain. Or he fell in the bathroom and couldn't get up. Bass didn't help him because Bass is a dick. Either/or.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Dresh posted:

And, to clear things up for anyone not in the know, the X2 translation was a bit more lackluster than the other SNES X translations, and had a ton of the original script thrown out. And one of the most important points thrown out was that Serges had an unusual amount of knowledge in regards to X and Zero's backstories, including the fact that X was "the last memento of Dr. Light" (Dr. Serges is supposed to say that upon being defeated in the Fortress stages, but that line is instead replaced with something like "NO! The Reunification is in jeopardy!" in the English version :cripes:).

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Fionordequester posted:

(Dr. Serges is supposed to say that upon being defeated in the Fortress stages, but that line is instead replaced with something like "NO! The Reunification is in jeopardy!" in the English version :cripes:).

Man, I wish that was the line we got. The actual line is much worse, but we'll get to that soonish

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

My new head-cannon is that Wily pulled a Dr. Gero and stuck his brain in a computer underground somewhere, let's say point 11F5646, and secretly manipulates/trolls the world. Because cartoonish super villain. Or he fell in the bathroom and couldn't get up. Bass didn't help him because Bass is a dick. Either/or.

"Why don't you get your fancy new Zero robot to help you? OH WAIT the last time you tried that he blew up your lab, twice." (Backs out of the room giving wily the double bird the entire time)

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Yeah, for now, here's the script so far, with the English dialogue in plain sight, and the ACTUAL dialogue in spoilers (slightly edited by me in order to read more clearly)...

THE PROLOGUE

It has been 6 months since
the destruction of (Sigma)
and little has changed.

It's been half a year since the
destruction of "Sigma", the
strongest of all Irregulars.

The Maverick revolt started
by Sigma is over, but Mega
Man X and the new generation
of Maverick Hunters have yet
to destroy all of Sigma's
followers

X has been busy
carrying out his main mission:
Hunting down the rest of the
Irregulars who had followed
Sigma.

Lead by information gained by
Dr. Cain, Mega Man X and the
rest of the Hunters have
tracked the last of the
Mavericks to an abandoned
reploid factory.
There they hope to wipe out
the last of the resistance.

And today, X and another,
fellow, Irregular Hunter have
been dispatched to investigate
and destroy a factory dedicated
to the production of Mavericks.

Little do they suspect that
real war is about to begin.

But for X, this would be
just the beginning.

Mega Man X2: Versus X-Hunters

Rock Man X2: Versus Counter Hunters

THE MYSTERIOUS MAVERICKS (SERGES, AGILE, AND VIOLEN)

Serges: This is their leader. His name is Mega Man X.

Serges: So that’s X…? I see. He can handle himself pretty well.

Violen: Those who underestimated him are now nothing but scrap.

Violen: Hmph! He’s nothin’ special.

Agile: We won’t make the same mistake. He is powerful, but he is blind to what is happening around him.

Agile: Au contraire. His talents make him a deadly adversary. We must clip his wings before he can bring his talons to bear.

Minor embelleshment to Agile's speech here. He has a gentlemanly way of talking that's hard to capture in a purely literal translation, according to Keekiyasan.

Serges: Our Mavericks will keep him busy until we are ready.

Serges: Perhaps this is one we should leave to one of our subordinates.

Agile: Yes. How is the plan proceeding?

Agile: Out of curiosity, how long shall it be before we see that reploid completed?

Serges: Collection is proceeding as scheduled. However, we are having problems with the control chip.

Serges: The parts are nearly completed, but… the control circuits still need work.

Agile: We have little time. We must finish construction on schedule. We must hurry…

Agile: If we are to achieve our goals, we have need of that Reploid's strength. We must hurry...

THE X-HUNTER’S CHALLENGE

Agile: I see now why Sigma fell at the hands of Mega Man X. He is quite formidable.

Agile: …drat YOU X!…Hmph, I suppose we ought not be surprised. Defeating Master Sigma is no mean feat, even if he has only done it once...

Serges: I am not sure our Mavericks can hold him long enough. We may have to intervene.

Serges: Perhaps it was unwise to leave this to our subordinates…Yes, it seems our only recourse is to destroy him with our own two hands. Kukkukku…

(Maverick Hunter base.)

X: Dr. Cain! What happened?!

X: Dr. Cain! Is something the matter?

Dr. Cain: A group of Mavericks calling themselves the X-Hunters have just contacted us…

Dr. Cain: A transmission has come from Irregulars calling themselves the Counter Hunters

Serges: Greetings. We have all of Zero’s parts.

Violen: They can be yours, if you defeat us!

Agile: We look forward to meeting you, X!

Serges: … …gaga… …gagaga (probably omnopoteia for "radio static")….Rock…E…cks……we have possession of Zero’s parts. If you want to take them back…

Agile: Then come, X, and let us meet, alone.

Violen: If you can beat us, we’ll return Zero’s parts!

Agile: We shall be looking forward to seeing you, X!

Yes, they actually TOOK OUT one of Agile's lines. Then again, the original script doesn't actually use markers to tell the player who's talking, they just use text color and sound to indicate who's talking. So...maybe that's what threw them off? Still kind of dumb...

Dr. Cain: X, Zero’s control chip is still stored here. I doubt it is possible to resurrect him without it.

Dr. Cain: The control parts that control Zero’s behaviour are being preserved at this base. Therefore, they shouldn’t be able to revive Zero so easily.

X: Dr. Cain, I’ve got to get Zero’s parts back, at any cost!

X: Dr. Cain. I will take back Zero’s parts!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 14, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What is this clip from?

spoilers maybe, I dunno https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XargtseX6cE

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

DOOP posted:

What is this clip from?

Maverick Hunter X, the X1 re-release for PSP that, amongst other things, included full voice acting and Anime cutscenes.

(X's english voice actor after X7 flopped was Mark Gatha, the guy who voiced Domon in G-Gundam)

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Oh yeah, forgot Agile's spiel to X when you fight him...

Agile: Welcome X. Now your destruction is at hand!

Agile: Mmm, I see you have deigned to meet me, just as I predicted. X…I, Agile, shall humbly accept the honor of being your opponent today.

(X defeats Agile.)

Agile: I may have failed, but you will never live to see Zero!

Agile: How...how could you do this to me?! ME?! I-I have underestimated you. Then, I shall be looking forward to the next time we meet...

(Agile leaves)

You got Zero Part No. 3

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 13, 2016

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Fionordequester posted:

Awesome poo poo

That is really loving cool, its interesting that they changed the context of the intro mission from "we found a maverick factory, let's gently caress it up" to "this is the mavericks final hold out, let's end this once and for all! Oh no 8 more mavericks!"

I'm really interested in seeing how the fortress dialog changed as some of it is really stupid in our localization, and I would love to see the original script for X5 as there is some weird poo poo going on there as well.

DOOP posted:

What is this clip from?

That would be from Maverick Hunter X, a PSP remake of the original X game, I've have the OVA ripped on my harddrive somewhere, I'll upload it somewhere and add it to the first post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Fionordequester posted:

X: Dr. Cain, I’ve got to get Zero’s pants back, at any cost!

X: Dr. Cain. I will take back Zero’s pants!

This is awesome, thanks for that.

I do love that once you fought Violen he was just in the same base he was before.

Serges: Now, X Hunters, scatter to keep Zero in our possession!

Violen: OK I'm going upstairs.

• Locked thread