Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Storm Eagle's story as of Maverick Hunter X holds that he was a talented and popular hunter who tried to stop Sigma's rebellion himself but was defeated and forced into working for Sigma against his will I guess out of a display of loyalty for his old commander. It actually could kind of jive with the double agent depiction in the manga, but the game doesn't show anything like that. Eagle was actually the first maverick I ever beat, without dash boots, when I was 7.

Rafiki's kind of odd as Mandrill depictions go because he's a lot scrawnier than most mandrills, and even has a long baboon tail while mandrills have little nub tails. The boss Ba-Boom in Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is a similar example of a mandrill with a common baboon tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
His name is Jiggle Billy, thank you.

Fun Fact: Kuwanger's Dead Lift is one of the very few attacks that can actually damage X when using Game Genie invincibility.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
One kinda interesting thing Maverick Hunter does with the buster upgrade is that it makes Zero's buster function differently from the capsule upgrade. Instead of the group of balls, the Zero buster fires a single focused power shot. The balls are a bit cooler, but the single shot seems in keeping with Zero's design philosophy and personality. I'll have more words about why it's cool to get Zero's buster later on, but I'm going to wait until we understand more about the character. Also kind of funny you guys bring up X and Zero double teaming Vile since they do exactly that in MHX's Vile mode.

I never actually made that connection about the cliff face before. That's a really excellent detail that goes to show the level of care that was put into this game.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Good ol' Gun Volt, why I bet that guy could carry his own game series some day. :allears:

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Wire Sponge's Japanese name, Wire Hetimarl, is derived from hechima, the Japanese word for luffa. Wire Sponge is literally a kitchen sponge.

It's a shame the opening stage is so short, the theme for it is probably my favorite song in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es7QWOumaiM

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I swear Erik's super power is being able to get drunk out of his mind when reading character dialog.

Morph Moth is a really cool design, but the sprite limitations really make him look more like a rabbit than anything else.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
So the thing with Wily's presence or lack thereof in the X series for me is mostly this interview with Inafune from a few years ago.

quote:

6) What happened to Dr. Wily in Rockman X series? Are Dr. Wily and Dr. Weil the same person? Were they ever supposed to be?

KI: A large amount of time has passed between the classic series and Mega Man X. Dr. Wily had died in the interim but was brought back by the virus. Dr. Wily and Weil are not the same person. It is ironic though, because Dr. Wily created Zero, and Dr. Weil used Zero, but ultimately it was a copy of Zero's original body with a different mind that defeated him.

Now, to be clear, I don't see the likes of Serges as literally being Dr. Wily, but I guess my personal headcanon is that the Maverick Virus contains programming based on Wily's personality akin to Light's AI in the capsules. This latches on to certain reploids like Serges and Isoc and while it doesn't turn them into Wily, it does influence their behavior, primarily by instilling an obsession with and knowledge of Zero.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Fionordequester posted:

X: Dr. Cain, I’ve got to get Zero’s pants back, at any cost!

X: Dr. Cain. I will take back Zero’s pants!

This is awesome, thanks for that.

I do love that once you fought Violen he was just in the same base he was before.

Serges: Now, X Hunters, scatter to keep Zero in our possession!

Violen: OK I'm going upstairs.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
There's a bit more to Savor Moon R's Sailor Moon reference than the name alone. Sailor Moon's major enemies are typically named for various rocks and gemstones from Queen Beryl and her generals in the first season to the Sailor Animates in the final season each having a mineral awkwardly worked into their names. In Sailor Moon R itself each of the major foes from the Dark Moon clan is named for a gemstone or mineral such as Prince Demande or Esmeraude.

I forgot Day of Sigma was a half hour, weird to think about watching something on my PSP for that long.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

MithosKuu posted:

Also, an extended cut the of the Dragon Punch X-Time from the Irregular version

Bonus Videos
Dragon Punch Extended Cut

This is important and everyone should watch it.

One other thing that helps the Shoryuken feel a bit better than the Hadouken is that it pairs nicely with classic Mega Man's Mega Upper attack and is of course a much better version of it. Of course, X2 predates Power Fighters by two years, so the Mega Upper itself is probably a reference to X getting the Shoryuken in the first place.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Fionordequester posted:

No, not really. The literal translation has Serges calling him "Light's memento robot" (a memento is an object that reminds you of someone or something). I only said "the robot who bears Light's image" because that sounded less clunky to me.

The word Serges uses, wasuregatami, can also mean "posthumous child" for some added context to his words. It seems to me that the intent is to convey a lamentation at losing to Light's ultimate creation for a second time, but the invocation of Lights' name and the artful way of referring to X can definitely be taken to suggest that Serges knows a lot more than he's letting on.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

MithosKuu posted:

Incidentally, are the Japanese scripts any better about X's name then the localization? Seems like X, Megaman X, and Megaman are all synonymous over here, something I took pains to correct when cleaning up the text in the Hunter versions...

After a cursory glance over X2's script, this little bit by Serges seems like the only instance of someone using a different name for X in Japanese.

Fionordequester posted:

Serges: … …gaga… …gagaga (probably omnopoteia for "radio static")….Rock…E…cks……we have possession of Zero’s parts. If you want to take them back…

alternative translation posted:

Rock... e..X...
...we have obtained Zero's parts, which we
know you'd like to recover..."

Now, given the radio static it's possible he's simply calling him Rockman X, paying respect to his origins (also notable as the first use of Rockman as a title which kind of becomes A Thing as the timeline progresses). Or, it could be that he starts saying Rockman and corrects himself, hard to say given the context but that's part of the fun.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
You guys mixed up your movie titles! :colbert:

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Kurieg posted:

It gets even better in zx where they create extremely tortured acronyms to ensure you're playing as a MEGAman (or ROCKman)

Unfortunately the English dub of ZXA changed the invocation to Megamerge instead of them screaming "Rock on!", which is probably the best Engrish we could hope for.

I'd say Legends is worse about it where Roll and Barrell Caskett find a boy and name him Rock Volnutt who later discovers he is really Rockman Trigger, gets translated to naming him Mega Man Volnutt who just so happens to really be Mega Man Trigger.

I do really like how ZX and Legends develop Rockman/Mega Man as a title though. In ZX it's used for legendary heroes akin to Gilgamesh or Hercules, then by the time Legends rolls around Mega Man essentially becomes a word for gods.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I love that they didn't bother translating Geemel's laughter, so he winds up being knight with a Jewish name and a Korean laugh.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Choco1980 posted:

What the hey are they talking about with Middy and Techno's helmets being rotated of each other? I totally don't see it.

Also, yeah this is a really weird way of doing things to split the game in two.

It's all about the dips. Techno's got a front-to-back dip, Middy's got a left-to-right dip.

E: This game gets a lot funnier if you accidentally read Middy's name as M'lady.

Dresh fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 11, 2016

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Clarste posted:

X has free will, unlike previous robots. He's a true AI. That's why he spent 40 years in a capsule to ensure he wouldn't go crazy and kill everynone.

On that note, and I may be misremembering, but if I recall correctly I believe that reploids are programmed with the three rules of robotics as basically the only limitation on their sapience. Basically a means of circumventing the 30+ year morality lesson X had to go through (which I'm sure was a huge boon in Cain securing funding for the reploid project), hence why non-viral mavericks are regarded as having a glitch, and why it's a really big deal later on when new generation reploids can "go maverick at will."

Dresh fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 13, 2016

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

NGDBSS posted:

Whoa there, you may want to prune the spoilers from that last sentence.

Oh, right duh. Corrected.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Contrarily, Pharaoh Man takes poo poo from no one.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Clarste posted:

I'm pretty sure Inafune said in some old interview that Zero was originally designed to be the main character of the X series, it's just that they were scared of changing too many things all at once and decided to use a more traditional Megaman-like character instead.

That's exactly what happened. During the pitch for the first game he quickly showed a Zero picture and said, "Oh yeah, and this is a side character."

Then when the sequel was being developed he was like, "Hey, so that Zero guy was kinda cool right? Let's base the plot around bringing that dude back!"

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

jivjov posted:

My question is why don't they just release the game now, then patch in the stretch goal multiplayer stuff when it's ready?

That specifically is the mismanagement I was referring to. They keep announcing dates and missing them for a feature that was completely ancillary to the game proper. They would have saved SO much face by releasing the core game and then taking the Shovel Knight approach of patching in all the Kickstarter Stretch content as it was finished.

As an online feature, I guess having it at launch is ideal to ensure the playerbase is big enough to justify using it, as opposed to launching it later and hoping it reignites interest enough for people to get use out of it. Another hypothesis I've seen floating around is that another company may be handling the feature and keep hitting snags, possibly even affecting other parts of the build, which Comcept/Inticreates then has to salvage before another round of testing. But, yeah at this point shelving the feature for the time being is probably the best option and if it comes to another delay I do hope they just do that.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Kurieg posted:

My Michelle's riff is used in Neon Tiger's stage.

This I never had any trouble remembering because it begs the question "wait, why didn't they use Welcome to the Jungle?"

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Dabir posted:

You could totally keep Model X in ZX! All you have to do is clear the game as both Vent and Aile, then start a new game, and when you get ZX, you'll still have X.

I never did actually get around to unlocking it. Even if I had it, though, I'd still probably default to HX most of the time.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

George posted:

Catfish cause earthquakes in Japanese folklore or something.

This is correct, Namazu is the name of a giant earthquake making catfish, making these secrets a bit more esoteric than others. I have no idea how the voltage relates to anything.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I know I've brought up Violen's stuff before, so here's his Doppler 2 run I was talking about. He's done minimalist runs of the entire SNES and PSX series, which basically consists of no parts, no dashing (for the SNES games), no damage, no weapons, etc when possible.

All because of an emasculation station post. A goon hero. :allears:

I remember marathon watching his runs a few years ago. Lots of impressive work and his chilled out rage at some of the bullshit he has to deal with is wonderful.

One funny thing about Vile's Goliath armor is that in Japanese it's called Big Bear, meaning the localizers changed it to a Biblical reference. Though on the other hand, a thought that literally just popped into my head, Big Bear itself could be a reference to the Ainu religion where bears are regarded as deities. In a way this can tie in to Bit, Byte, and O'Inary's Shinto Buddhist references, while maintaining Vile as an outsider with his own agenda and motivations. Or I'm reading too much into it.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
:eng101:

Shotokan is basically the most popular form of karate in the world. Back in the days of Street Fighter II, Capcom USA said that Ryu and Ken practiced shotokan, despite their fighting style looking nothing like real world shotokan. This is the same manual that said Blanka used Capoeira and Dhalsim got fire powers by eating spicy curry. For better or worse it wound up sticking and fighting game fans often refer to Ryu-like characters as Shoto-clones, a term I can never bring myself to use because I know it's wrong.

In Japanese their fighting style is simply referred to as ansatsuken, a generic neologism that refers to assassination arts.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

WDIIA posted:

I live in Japan and I've discovered that a lot of the VAs in MMX7 seem to be from the small group of people who do uncredited recording for English textbooks and listening tests and poo poo like that. For example, I think the guy who does X also does the dopey main character in a skit for the 6th grade textbook. So not only did Capcom go super cheap on the acting, they scooped up a bunch of expats in Tokyo whose primary job is to speak weird, stilted hyper-correct vocabulary-poor English so 13 years can understand it

They almost certainly would have done better had they just used random people at Capcom USA

Wait, isn't this also exactly what they did in X4 and MM8? And somehow X7 came out even worse?

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Of course senpai was the word Double uses in Japanese. I half expected X-sama or something.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
To the best of my knowledge all significant instances of spiders are specifically limited to the X series, which has three. I don't recall that the last one makes babbies of himself though.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

Out of curiosity how are you guys enjoying the Zero runthrough
I know it's not as informative but

If you guys care enough I'll do the abortion of a game known as X6 as Zero on EXTREME MODE but I can't guarantee hitless

I don't think anyone would fault you for getting hit during X6, Violen's run was nearly destroyed by Ground Scaravich. You've certainly got the skill to give it a good run, even if you have to eat a few cheap shots along the way.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Fionordequester posted:

You know, I do have to wonder...would this game's English dub have been any better if they had just hired the Japanese actors to do the English dialogue? Even IF they had absolutely no knowledge of the English language beforehand?

Like, instead of having really terrible voices with decent English accents, we'd have really GOOD voices...but with EXTREMELY heavy Japanese accents? So we'd still get all of these talented voice actors, but they'd be trying to speak in English?

What do you all think?

I unironically think that would have been wonderful.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Zain posted:

A long time ago someone said that Double's transformed state is actually called Jello Man or something like that?

I remembered that as well and decided to look it up. According to this Capcom Unity thread the Jello Man name was used on the site for X4, presumably to avoid spoiling Double's heel turn. Otherwise it doesn't appear to be a canon moniker for him.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
#BlazeHeatnixIt #420SmokeMavsEveryday #ThisCouldAllHaveBeenAvoidedIfColonelSmokedAFuckinBlunt

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Oh yeah, now that we've finally seen What Am I Fighting For, I can share the other versions of the scene.

First there's Lucas Gilbertson, who played Zero in the later X games like X8, tried to see if he could do something with the material as written.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgRX38ucT_c

Then Johnny Young Bosch, who played Zero in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, did his own version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYmUCPvPcZQ

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

MithosKuu posted:

And this time we have Dresh in the captain's chair for Zero's story, since he's local we actually got him to join us on the couch for this one.

Dresh plays Megaman X5 Zero:
1. Intro Dinorex

I'm glad Gamesfreak revealed he doesn't like this game, now I feel less bad about not being as good at it. My intent was mostly just to make sure everyone's Guns n' Roses origins were covered.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

No you should still feel bad :colbert:

I said less bad, not not bad. :smugbert:

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Dabir posted:

Loads of stuff just reused from X4 wholesale, the bat bombers might be excusable but the ride armour? Including loving Repliforce driving them against you?

And all Mattrex's moves look totally smooth and natural, great job, definitely not just Neon Tiger's moveset reused for a completely inappropriate design.

To be fair, Mattrex actually is former Repliforce so those enemies do make some thematic sense, but that's also not the last time we'll see them so your point still stands.

As for the second part, I'm just going to pretend that reploid manufacturers* sometimes recycle similar combat routines for the sake of efficiency, with such shortcuts being why they can't stand up against X and Zero.

*Capcom

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Ah yes Zero and Iris's children Huey Dewey and Louie.

Come on, those are Zero's nephews dummy!

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I had no idea you could use the Quake Blazer to destroy the train lasers that fast. I'll be sure to keep that in mind if I ever replay X5.

Yeah it's pretty cool, and pretty much the main reason I fought Dinorex before anybody else.

Hrist posted:

One thing I'm kind of curious about for the Zero X5 run. Putting this in spoilers just in case.

Is Zero asking Dr. Light about Wily going to be shown off? As I was typing that out I remembered the special thing Zero can get, so maybe it gets shown off there instead? I was never clear on if they had to meet once before that or not. Grizzly's stage made me think to ask though, since it's an easy capsule for Zero to access.

I can confirm that I access two capsules with Zero, one of which is the special thing, so you should be seeing the dialog you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Hoss Corncave posted:

I always thought of Dynamo as a reploid cowboy mercenary. The rims on his head always made me think of a cowboy hat, and the description of his buster being like a revolver lends weight to the cowboy image.

I'd say that's pretty much correct. The helmet is most likely another element of his cavalry motif.

• Locked thread