Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

MithosKuu posted:

There is a general downhill trend in quality from 1-7, though it really doesn't start to noticeably drop in quality til 5, I can safely say X7 is the worst game in the entire X series. I honestly cannot wait until we get to those episodes.

Eh...I wouldn't say that, personally. Honestly, I thought X2 and X3 were better than X1. I mean, obviously X1 had the best story-telling, atmosphere, and soundtrack...but as far as gameplay went, you could tell that this was the very first X game ever made. Having the game's most important power-up (the Dash Boots) be something that you could potentially miss for 7 whole stages was something that radically affected the stage design for the game. The Dash Boots made the stages way too simple, since the designers were forced to accommodate those who may not have had it yet.

In addition, I don't feel like the game designers got the gameplay tempo entirely down in X1. X2 and X4 (X3, not so much, but that game was fun in other ways) were very good about throwing enemies at you without bringing the gameplay to a screeching halt, but X1 did not do that as well. It's probably because the game designers were still used to the slower pace of the original games, but IIRC, there were a lot of moments where the game forcibly stopped your progress by throwing a really bulky enemy at you that was easy to beat, but took a while to take down if you didn't know how. I'm speaking of the huge turtle things and two-legged robots smattered throughout all the stages, the sea serpents and wind blowers in Launch Octopus's stage, the ball-n'-chain guys, and etc...

And honestly, compared to all the crazy power-ups you could get for your leg and head armours later on, the upgrades here are a little...boring, in comparison, especially since you START OFF with the Dash Boots in every other game.

Now, am I trying to imply that X1 is a bad game? No, of course not. It's marvelous, and I'd definitely put it over X5-X7, in addition to the Mega Man Zero games that I've played (haven't played X8 yet, or anything from the newer series), but I feel like there's a lot of little things that put it behind X2-X4, at least if we're just talking about gameplay. If we're talking about presentation though, then yeah, it's definitely ahead of X2-X3 :). I mean heck, this game actually had FACE PORTRAITS! I still have no idea why they didn't keep those :psyduck:!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Dresh posted:

Now, to be clear, I don't see the likes of Serges as literally being Dr. Wily, but I guess my personal headcanon is that the Maverick Virus contains programming based on Wily's personality akin to Light's AI in the capsules. This latches on to certain reploids like Serges and Isoc and while it doesn't turn them into Wily, it does influence their behavior, primarily by instilling an obsession with and knowledge of Zero.

And, to clear things up for anyone not in the know, the X2 translation was a bit more lackluster than the other SNES X translations, and had a ton of the original script thrown out. And one of the most important points thrown out was that Serges had an unusual amount of knowledge in regards to X and Zero's backstories, including the fact that X was "the last memento of Dr. Light" (Dr. Serges is supposed to say that upon being defeated in the Fortress stages, but that line is instead replaced with something like "NO! The Reunification is in jeopardy!" in the English version :cripes:).

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, for now, here's the script so far, with the English dialogue in plain sight, and the ACTUAL dialogue in spoilers (slightly edited by me in order to read more clearly)...

THE PROLOGUE

It has been 6 months since
the destruction of (Sigma)
and little has changed.

It's been half a year since the
destruction of "Sigma", the
strongest of all Irregulars.

The Maverick revolt started
by Sigma is over, but Mega
Man X and the new generation
of Maverick Hunters have yet
to destroy all of Sigma's
followers

X has been busy
carrying out his main mission:
Hunting down the rest of the
Irregulars who had followed
Sigma.

Lead by information gained by
Dr. Cain, Mega Man X and the
rest of the Hunters have
tracked the last of the
Mavericks to an abandoned
reploid factory.
There they hope to wipe out
the last of the resistance.

And today, X and another,
fellow, Irregular Hunter have
been dispatched to investigate
and destroy a factory dedicated
to the production of Mavericks.

Little do they suspect that
real war is about to begin.

But for X, this would be
just the beginning.

Mega Man X2: Versus X-Hunters

Rock Man X2: Versus Counter Hunters

THE MYSTERIOUS MAVERICKS (SERGES, AGILE, AND VIOLEN)

Serges: This is their leader. His name is Mega Man X.

Serges: So that’s X…? I see. He can handle himself pretty well.

Violen: Those who underestimated him are now nothing but scrap.

Violen: Hmph! He’s nothin’ special.

Agile: We won’t make the same mistake. He is powerful, but he is blind to what is happening around him.

Agile: Au contraire. His talents make him a deadly adversary. We must clip his wings before he can bring his talons to bear.

Minor embelleshment to Agile's speech here. He has a gentlemanly way of talking that's hard to capture in a purely literal translation, according to Keekiyasan.

Serges: Our Mavericks will keep him busy until we are ready.

Serges: Perhaps this is one we should leave to one of our subordinates.

Agile: Yes. How is the plan proceeding?

Agile: Out of curiosity, how long shall it be before we see that reploid completed?

Serges: Collection is proceeding as scheduled. However, we are having problems with the control chip.

Serges: The parts are nearly completed, but… the control circuits still need work.

Agile: We have little time. We must finish construction on schedule. We must hurry…

Agile: If we are to achieve our goals, we have need of that Reploid's strength. We must hurry...

THE X-HUNTER’S CHALLENGE

Agile: I see now why Sigma fell at the hands of Mega Man X. He is quite formidable.

Agile: …drat YOU X!…Hmph, I suppose we ought not be surprised. Defeating Master Sigma is no mean feat, even if he has only done it once...

Serges: I am not sure our Mavericks can hold him long enough. We may have to intervene.

Serges: Perhaps it was unwise to leave this to our subordinates…Yes, it seems our only recourse is to destroy him with our own two hands. Kukkukku…

(Maverick Hunter base.)

X: Dr. Cain! What happened?!

X: Dr. Cain! Is something the matter?

Dr. Cain: A group of Mavericks calling themselves the X-Hunters have just contacted us…

Dr. Cain: A transmission has come from Irregulars calling themselves the Counter Hunters

Serges: Greetings. We have all of Zero’s parts.

Violen: They can be yours, if you defeat us!

Agile: We look forward to meeting you, X!

Serges: … …gaga… …gagaga (probably omnopoteia for "radio static")….Rock…E…cks……we have possession of Zero’s parts. If you want to take them back…

Agile: Then come, X, and let us meet, alone.

Violen: If you can beat us, we’ll return Zero’s parts!

Agile: We shall be looking forward to seeing you, X!

Yes, they actually TOOK OUT one of Agile's lines. Then again, the original script doesn't actually use markers to tell the player who's talking, they just use text color and sound to indicate who's talking. So...maybe that's what threw them off? Still kind of dumb...

Dr. Cain: X, Zero’s control chip is still stored here. I doubt it is possible to resurrect him without it.

Dr. Cain: The control parts that control Zero’s behaviour are being preserved at this base. Therefore, they shouldn’t be able to revive Zero so easily.

X: Dr. Cain, I’ve got to get Zero’s parts back, at any cost!

X: Dr. Cain. I will take back Zero’s parts!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 14, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Oh yeah, forgot Agile's spiel to X when you fight him...

Agile: Welcome X. Now your destruction is at hand!

Agile: Mmm, I see you have deigned to meet me, just as I predicted. X…I, Agile, shall humbly accept the honor of being your opponent today.

(X defeats Agile.)

Agile: I may have failed, but you will never live to see Zero!

Agile: How...how could you do this to me?! ME?! I-I have underestimated you. Then, I shall be looking forward to the next time we meet...

(Agile leaves)

You got Zero Part No. 3

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 13, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hey, wait a minute...that's right, we fought Violen too. Alright, well then here's his dialogue as well.

Violen: X, I shall crush you like a tin can!

Violen: Gahahahaha! I, Violen the Mighty’ll grind you down and spit you out with my power!

(X defeats Violen.)

Violen: It cannot be! Now the unification is in jeopardy!

Violen: G-G-G-GGGUUUUUUHHHH… where are you hiding all that power?!

(Violen leaves)

You got Zero Part No. 2!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 21, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Tch, CRUD! You did Serges as well huh? Man, I REALLY should've watched that new episode earlier...well, here's Serges then, where one can spot a fairly major difference between the two versions...

Serges: I am Serges and I cannot allow you to stop the unification! It is for the good of all!

Serges: My name is Serges. You seem to be doing well, but, can you go on for much longer? Hmm?

(X wins against Serges)

Serges: You have merely delayed the inevitable. We will meet again…

Serges: Impressive… perhaps I will retreat this one time.

(Serges withdraws)

You got Zero’s Head Parts!

So yeah, absolutely no mention of any kind of "unification" in the original script. Turns out that whole thing was just something the localizers made up out of the blue. Between that, and the opening scenes with them explicitly referring to Zero as "that Reploid", it's pretty clear that they were talking about Zero all this time. There's no mystery there like there is in the English version.

This is, of course, besides the fact that the X-Hunters also had much more distinct personalities in the original script. So far, the only positive change has been calling them the "X-Hunters" rather than the "Counter Hunters". I'm not counting the change from "Irregulars" to "Mavericks", because that was a change that was already started in X1.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 22, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

It's interesting that they refer to Zero as a reploid in the original version, since it otherwise seems like they had his origins planned out at these point, or were at least toying with it

Huh...you're right about that. So I checked the script again, and technically, it was only Agile that referred to him as a Reploid. As far as he knows, that IS what Zero is. He probably doesn't know about all that stuff with Light and Wily, unlike Serges.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 22, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Man, now that I'm watching Day of Sigma again, there's a lot more to make fun of than I remembered, even aside from the questionable decisions made in terms of the continuity. I also never liked how they turned Sigma from a tragic, fallen hero, to someone who was always evil from the get-go (even if it does make a little more sense in terms of X and Zero's attitudes toward him from X4 onward. They never seem to remember that he was once a good person)...

But still, really good acting and directing there. I'm glad they didn't worry too much about the mouth flaps. Gave the actors more room to give good performances.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 23, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Well, regardless, there is one thing I want to respond to...

hopeandjoy posted:

I don't think there's such thing as a well translated X game though.

Actually, as it turns out, there is. X2 was obviously a mess, and X1 had a few too many liberties taken with it too (though not nearly as bad as X2), but X3 and X4 are very well-done, ESPECIALLY X4!

Yeah, the voice acting obviously stunk donkey druk, but if you just go by the script itself, X4 had an EXCELLENT localization. It strikes the absolute PERFECT balance of both accuracy and creative flourishes. The English script manages to be almost line-for-line accurate with the Japanese script while STILL feeling like it was written by a native English speaker. Even the few differences that exist are there only for the sake of helping the dialogue flow better, or have more punch. For example Sigma's meeting with General...

Sigma: Irregular Hunters…they shake their tails for the humans and destroy Reploids. Don’t you think they are dangerous? You should also understand. All they’re doing is destroying Reploids who do not do as the humans say. Take them out before you’re taken out. You have a mighty power that can destroy them.

General: I must ask you to leave. I cannot betray the humans. Leave. Do not appear before me again.

Sigma: Fufufufu. Very well. You’ll change your mind in time. Fuhahaha…haaahahaha!

Becomes...

???: It's about the Maverick Hunters, General. They are far too eager to please the humans, and continue to hunt down the Reploids. Do you believe they pose a significant threat?

General: Perhaps.

???: You already know the truth, General. Their sole mission has been to destroy any Reploids who fail to do as the humans order!

General: Hmm...

???: It's in your best interest to stop them now, before they turn on you! You possess enough power to destroy them!

General: ... You are dismissed.

???: What?!

General: I will not betray the humans. Remove yourself from my sight. My business with you has concluded...

???: Heh heh heh... very well. But you will change your mind soon, I assure you! Ha ha ha ha... Ha ha ha ha!

And then General's speech to his army after the Intro Stage...

General: Brave soldiers of my Repliforce, we have all now been designated as Irregulars. However, we will not let ourselves have such a dishonour put onto ourselves. With our own hands, we will build a country for Reploids. However, this is not a hostility towards the humans. Freedom and Safety; it’s a battle to seek out those fair rights. Let’s build it together, and ideal country where we will not be harmed by anyone. Let’s move forward together towards our, the Repliforce’s, future.

Colonel: I hold the same opinion as General General. (lol) Listen, there is no other path for us. Without anger, let us fight with bravery and pride. We are the Repliforce. The greatest army in history.

Soldiers: Yeeah! General! Colonel! General! Colonel!

Sigma: Haaaahaha! That fool General, he’s finally made his move. Now Hunters, how will you go? I’ll watch at ease from here. Haaahaha!

Becomes...

General: Brave soldiers of Repliforce, we have all been wrongfully judged as Mavericks by the humans. We cannot suffer this indignity and live in disgrace. We will build our own nation of Reploids. But remember, this is neither about insurrection, or rebellion against our human creators. This is about our liberty and security. We must battle for our own individual rights, and our own survival. Together we will build our own nation, a sanctuary for all Reploids, our own Utopia. Let us forge onward towards a new golden era for the Repliforce.

(The crowd cheers.)

Colonel: I, too, share the General's sentiment. Take heed, we have no other choice. Let us fight vehemontly, with courage and pride, without fear—for we are the Repliforce. The most powerful army in history!

(The crowd cheers again.)

(Watching from a dark room, an unknown Reploid listens to the speech.)

???: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! The General has finally taken action! And now, my Maverick Hunters, what will you do? I'll be watching closely from here on out. Ha ha ha ha!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

Megaman X2:
6. Counter-Hunters Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

Alright, so now it's time to post the script differences for this section as well, and I have to preface this next section. The dialogue with Serges is probably THE most crucial change in the entire script. Remember all those theories about how he MIGHT be Dr. Wily? Well, in the Japanese version, it's not a theory. The game literally goes OUT-OF-IT'S-WAY to set him up as Dr. Wily. The only way it could get any more obvious about it is if it literally had a big neon sign saying "HEY, THIS IS DR. WILY!" Why do I say that? Well, read this next section, and find out...

X ARRIVES WITH ALL OF ZERO'S PARTS

Dr. Cain: I can try to reactivate Zero to help, but I need more time before you can install his control chip….Try to slow them down! Good luck!

Dr. Cain: Ooh! You’ve finally retrieved all of Zero’s parts, have you?! With this I can revive Zero. However! It seems that it will take a bit of time. Keep going for a little while longer. I’m counting on you, X.

X-HUNTER BASE DISCOVERED (YOU BEAT ALL THE X-HUNTERS)

Dr. Cain: Mega Man X! I’ve located the X-Hunters’ base! It’s at grid location 00. That’s right at the North Pole!

X: Roger, Dr. Cain! I’m on my way!

Dr. Cain: It will take more time to reactivate Zero…Slow them down, Mega Man X!

Dr. Cain: X! I’ve discovered the Counter Hunter’s base! Point 00; it’s the North Pole!

X: Understood, Dr. Cain. I’m moving out.

Dr. Cain: It will take a little bit more time for Zero’s repairs. Do your best until then.

X-HUNTER BASE DISCOVERED (YOU DIDN'T BEAT ALL THE X-HUNTERS)

Dr. Cain: I’m sorry X… one of the X-Hunters attacked the base and… took all of Zero’s parts away… They’re going to rebuild Zero at their base. I tracked them to location 00 – the North Pole!

X: I can’t let them tamper with him, Dr. Cain! I’ve got to save him!

Dr. Cain: I’m sorry X…just now one of the Counter Hunter’s appeared at this base and…He stole all of Zero’s parts…They’ve returned to their hideout and intend on reviving Zero as an Irregular. I’ve learned that the Counter Hunter base is at Point 00, the North Pole, but..

X: Dr. Cain! I will go save Zero!

VIOLEN'S DEATH SPEECH

Violen: What?! How could he have overloaded my circuits?! Arrrggghhh…

Violen: Y-yer tryin' to tell me...that YOU'RE stronger than I AM?! I, I had such magnificent strength...why...why couldn't I...GRRRRAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!

(the basic idea is that Violen is shocked and in disbelief that he lost. Also, according to the translator, he's also lamenting the fact that his power wasn't properly conveyed. Like, he either didn't get to show it off like he wanted to, or it just didn't work as well as he expected it to on X. But, I'm not entirely sure how to write that, so there you go. Now for the big one...)

SERGES'S DEATH SPEECH

Serges: This is impossible! The prophecy must be fulfilled!

Serges: Am I to perish here? To think that I was defeated once again by the robot who bears Light's image… Such a pity…

Yes, Serges actually says that. Capcom practically goes out of it's way to say "HEY, THIS GUY MIGHT BE DR. WILY!" Not only does he refer to X as Dr. Light's creation, but he implies that this has happened before. Not that I blame you for thinking otherwise Mithos, because it seems that SOMEONE apparently decided "eh, we don't need this, how about we just throw it out?" :argh:

Also, tough phrase to translate here. X is literally called "Light's memento robot" (he leaves out the "Dr." bit), but obviously that sounds clunky as all get-out. Hopefully I still stayed true to the meaning with the above line.

AGILE'S DEATH SPEECH

Agile: NO!!! This cannot be!! Master, avenge me!

Agile: Inconceivable…this should not be…Master Sigma! Please, avenge us!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 13, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

I don't suppose there is any way "defeated once again by the robot" could be translated as "defeated once again by a robot" is there?

No, not really. The literal translation has Serges calling him "Light's memento robot" (a memento is an object that reminds you of someone or something). I only said "the robot who bears Light's image" because that sounded less clunky to me.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 26, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Dresh posted:

The word Serges uses, wasuregatami, can also mean "posthumous child" for some added context to his words. It seems to me that the intent is to convey a lamentation at losing to Light's ultimate creation for a second time, but the invocation of Lights' name and the artful way of referring to X can definitely be taken to suggest that Serges knows a lot more than he's letting on.

And then of course, there's the fact that Serges knows how to repair Zero, despite the games making it a plot point that nobody was ever able to fully figure out how Zero and X were made. I think X1 stated that Dr. Acadian wasn't able to perfectly replicate X's design, and X5 has the Bad Ending talking about how mysterious their designs were.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

Incidentally, are the Japanese scripts any better about X's name then the localization? Seems like X, Megaman X, and Megaman are all synonymous over here, something I took pains to correct when cleaning up the text in the Hunter versions...

Actually, that's another startling difference in the scripts. I didn't really go over X1's localization, since it's not quite as radically different as X2's, but even that had some important differences. No one really calls our hero "Mega Man X", they just call him "X" (or "Ekksu" if you want to get REALLY literal).

EDIT: Wait, nvm what I said about X1. That one's English version doesn't have anyone saying "Mega Man X" either. It turns out it's really just X2 that throws that around. X1 still maintains it's status as "not perfect, but still pretty good".

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 26, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

I agree that making Serges be Wily is dumb--for both of them. A. like you said, we can and should have other villains in the world, Serges can be his own man er, reploid. B. it kind of insults Wily that his final legacy would be some random mook working for Sigma that doesn't really accomplish a single thing and is barely more than a footnote in the chronology.

Well, presumably Wily would have found some way of preserving himself the same way Sigma did, so even if he was Serges, he wouldn't actually die. After all, Wily was the one who built Sigma his battle body in X5, so either way, he's operating in some capacity.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Here's some translation stuff, now that a new videos been posted...

X Receives the Shoryuken

Dr. Light: Wow! You are so cool! I’m not worthy!!! I’m not worthy!!! Step inside for a special surprise!

Dr. Light: Good, you’ve made it here! X! This time I'm teaching you THIS technique! Here! Get in here at once.

You win this round English localization :mmmhmm:...

X HEARS SIGMA'S VOICE AFTER MAVERICK REFIGHTS

Sigma: It has been a while, Mega Man X.

X: What?! Sigma!!

Sigma: It seems that the X-Hunters have failed. But don’t worry, I’ve arranged for some new toys for you to play with…

Sigma: It’s been a while, X.

X: …! Sigma?!

Sigma: Evidently, the Counter Hunters have failed as well. But never fear. I have something very fun prepared, just for you. I’m waiting at the Central Computer.

So, nothing ridiculously different, though this is another instance where someone calls X "Mega Man X" when they were supposed to just call him "X" in the original script.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 13, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hoss Corncave posted:

Isoc. He looks similar and has a part in the story but X6 is such a mess that he doesn't make any sense anyway.

Yeah...by the way, if anyone was ever confused on just what the heck Alia was talking about in regards to the "Erasure Incident" (when Isoc just suddenly dies), that was an actual thing in Mega Man Xtreme 2, one of the Gameboy games.

And as another interesting aside, that was the same game where Iris made her very first introduction! She was your navigator in fact :D!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright then, here comes the final script comparison! Personally, I would recommend at least reading the Epilogue, as it is both FAR more poetic, and it goes in a totally different direction in tone than the English one. Here we go...

ZERO (IF YOU COLLECTED ALL OF THE PARTS)

Sigma: Look who I found wandering around, Mega Man! My friend here has a small problem with you. It seems that you let him die, and he’s not too happy about that! I think it’s time he repays the favor!

(Zero appears and destroys Copy Zero)

Zero: Sigma, you should have studied the blueprints closer! There is only one Zero!

Sigma: Wait, Zero! I know your secret! You were destined to follow me!

Zero: Maybe so, but I still don’t like you!

Sigma: Fine. If you will not follow me, then I’ll watch you die once again!

(Sigma runs away)

X: Zero!

Zero: Sorry to keep you waiting, Mega Man X. The greetings will have to wait. We’ve got to defeat all the Mavericks including Sigma! I’ll take care of the main computer, and you follow Sigma. Let’s go!

(Zero breaks open the floor)

Zero: Here it is, X! Sigma lies just ahead!

Sigma: It’s been a while, X. I have been eagerly awaiting this day. Now, let's do introductions. This here is my new partner. Old comrades, fight to your heart's content!

(Zero appears and destroys Copy Zero)

Zero: Hey Sigma! Was that seriously the best copy you could make of me?!

Sigma: drat you Zero! I should be your master! Why do you defy me?!

Zero: Because I hate you.

Sigma: Tch!

(Sigma withdraws)

X: Zero!

Zero: Sorry to have kept you waiting, X, but let's save the hellos for later! Right now, we need to stop Sigma! I will destroy this base’s main computer. X, you chase after Sigma!

It’s here! X! The next room is where Sigma’s true form is!

Love how blunt Zero is in the Japanese version, but I also really liked Sigma's dialogue in the English version. It's much more detailed, and he comes off as much more of a sadist, whereas in the Japanese version, he just kind of...gets straight to the point. Which isn't nearly as interesting.

ZERO (IF YOU DIDN'T COLLECT ALL OF THE PARTS)

Sigma: Look who I found wandering around, Mega Man X! My friend here has a small problem with you. It seems that you let him die, and he’s not too happy about that! Now I think it is time he repays the favor!

(X fights Zero and wins)

X: Zero…

Zero: ….

X: Do you remember me?

Zero: Yeah… I guess so… Sorry to cause you so much trouble. X, you need to go after Sigma! I’ll try and destroy the main computer.

X: Take care of yourself, Zero. I don’t have time to put you back together again!

Zero: I’ll be OK. Get going, X!

Zero: Here it is, X! Sigma lies just ahead!

Sigma: It’s been a while, X. I have been eagerly awaiting this day. Now, let's do introductions. This here is my new partner. Old comrades, fight to your heart's content!

(X fights with Zero and wins)

X: Zero…

Zero: …X?

X: ...! Has your memory returned? Zero!

Zero: Yeah… looks like I caused quite a bit of trouble for you, huh? X, You chase after Sigma! I will destroy the Main Computer!

X: Zero! Do you...WANT to die?!

Zero: I’ll be fine. Hurry up and go!

It’s here! X! The next room is where Sigma’s true form is!

Gotta love X's "don't have time to put you back together again" line in the English version :allears:

X VS. SIGMA

Sigma: You are merely a bothersome insect, Mega Man X! It is about time that I crush you beneath my heel!

(X battles Sigma and wins)

Sigma: Mega Man X, I have lost to you again… Each defeat only makes me stronger and serves to bring you closer to your ultimate doom! But, something is not right… I… don’t quite understand… Why did Zero…he is… last… of the doctor’s creations…Arrrrrggggghhhhh…

Sigma: X! Must you haunt me to the very end?! If you wish to fight...Then I, the newly revitalized Lord Sigma, shall be the instrument of your destruction!

(X battles Sigma and wins)

Sigma: X…It appears that I have lost once again…However, I can always come back again and again, and harvest yet more power. Your victory is only temporary! But, Zero, why…he’s…the last of…Wi…num…ers…GRRRAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!

Again, the Japanese script is much more explicit in regards to certain plot details. Where the English just says that Zero is "the last of the doctor's creations", the Japanese actually says "the last of Wily's numbers" (in reference to the fact that each of the Robot Masters were assigned numbers in the original Mega Man series). And of course, the English INSISTS on saying "Mega Man X" when the original script only has people calling him "X". It really doesn't seem as though our localizers were fully aware of everything happening the story, does it :( ?

Now, let me explain something about the "instrument of your destruction" line, because this was another liberty taken by me. So, you know those old cliched lines, such as "the writing is on the wall", or "your days are numbered", or "the blind leading the blind"? They're every day expressions that were borrowed from the Bible, so as a result, they somehow managed to be both poetic AND cliched at the same time.

So going back to the script here, the completely literal translation of what Sigma says is something like "how about this powered-up Sigma buries you in darkness!” So, obvious grammatical awkwardness aside, "burying someone in darkness" is a VERY common Anime line that you'll find said in many video games and TV shows, usually by a villain. Now, I'm not sure whether it's meant to be poetic or not, but I'm guessing it is...so that's why I went with the "instrument of your destruction" line. I did that in order to have him say something that was equally poetic, but also did NOT smack of "literally transliterated Japanese media-kun", as someone called Vilkacis so aptly put it. Because if you EVER find "I will bury you in darkness" or "Fufufufufu" in any kind of fan translation...you can bet dollars to donuts that the fan translators translated said video game too literally.

That said though, if you don't like the slightly exaggerated route that I took, there are also other options if you want the line to be a bit more accurate. For example, you could just have Sigma say "I shall send you to oblivion!" or "I shall welcome you to oblivion!" or "I shall send you to the great beyond!" or "I shall be the ferryman to your demise!" So, I just thought that was an interesting tangent to go on :cheeky:.

EPILOGUE

Joined by his friend Zero, Mega Man X gazes out over the sea. Sigma has once again been destroyed, but X wonders if the fighting will truly end. Was Dr. Light’s dream of a world in which Reploids and humans lived together in peace merely a dream? The price of peace is often high, X thinks to himself. Who or what must be sacrificed for it to become a reality? And when the time comes, will he be able to do it? The future holds the answers or…

X...He who repelled the menace of the resurrected Sigma, and rescued his best friend, Zero. His mission as a hunter accomplished, X's mind swims within distant memories, awoken beneath the sea of the morning sun. X wonders why he can feel such burning power overflowing from his cold body, such a warm sense of peace. Humans and machines; a world in which two different beings live in perfect peace with one another...At one time, that was the utopia one scientist never stopped wishing for. Will that wish for change, the charge that he entrusted to X, ever become a reality? X...For now, you shall rest easy as you set your eyes towards the oncoming battles, for you know that great power lies hidden within your innocuous frame. And you shall pray that this time, peace shall not be so short-lived…

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 14, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright guys, time for more script differences. First off, a brief write-up of the localization job overall, courtesy of "Keekiyasan", who maintains blogs here...

https://hondoori.wordpress.com/scripts-and-localizations/rockman-x-series/

keekiyasan posted:

Obviously, I’m not a professional and am not part of “da biz” as they all call it. However, the localization/translation job done on this game was pretty subpar. It was obviously not worked on very hard. I can understand why; after all, it was just a GBC spin-off game that probably wasn’t going to see a whole lot of love anyway. STILL, the translation job was rather odd. At times, it was fairly legit. Some things changed, tweaked, etc to flow better or to add their own edge to the script without completely changing the source material (like X2). At other times, the translation looks like a half-rear end literal translation. Just awkward. Often, with mediocre literal translations, that’s how it goes. However, a lot of the awkward dialogue the localization team came up with wasn’t even in the Japanese script! Basically, it looks like a poor literal translation, but it actually wasn’t. It was just bad writing. SHEEIT. One such oddity was the translator(s)’s obsession with the word “crush”. See the script comparisons linked above to see what I mean. Everyone keeps saying that drat word even when there wasn’t even a Japanese equivalent involved. WUTEVA. Also, they forgot to change someone’s name into their English name. Silly peeps.

So basically, not all of the awkward dialogue was even in the original script. Some of it was awkward because the game's localizers just...weren't that good apparently. Anyway, let's get started (again, I'll do slight edits to the dialogue to help it run smoother. You can find the more literal translations on this guy's blog entries)...

PROLOGUE

In the year 21XX… The world has become a place where the human race coexists with Reploids. Many years ago a mysterious blue robot was found. Named Megaman X, this robot possessed a high level of intelligence. It also was able to display emotions like humans. Megaman X was a robot that people thought could never be duplicated by modern science. Even though Megaman X is a good natured robot with a kind and warm personality, he also has the power to cause a lot of destruction.

The year 21XX A.D….A world where humans and Reploids co-exist. It has been a long time since the robot of many mysteries was found. Rockman X was a highly powerful robot: He could not be analyzed even by modern science, and had the ability to think and “worry” almost like a human. Concealed within him was immense promise...and immense danger.

Dr. Cain studied and analyzed Megaman X, and then succeeded in creating the “Reploids.” However, some Reploids began to malfunction due to problems with their electronic brain. They are called “Mavericks”. The Reploids who hunt them are called “Maverick Hunters.” In order to help Megaman X became a Maverick Hunter. Later, a red robot was found. This robot named, “ZERO” had high attack power. When he was found, he was out of control like all the other Mavericks. The strongest Reploid, Sigma, helped to bring Zero under control. Sigma took Zero under his watch. After that, Zero never malfunctioned again and was eventually promoted to a Special A level Hunter.

Using X as a reference, Dr. Cain successfully developed “Repliroids”. But, there came to be Repliroids who suffered programming errors in their electronic brains. These Repliroids were called “Irregulars”, and so, other Repliroids formed the “Irregular Hunters” in order to deal with them. X became a member of these Irregular Hunters. Then, a red robot, Zero, was discovered. This robot possessed incredible power, but was found going on a rampage, just like an Irregular would. The strongest repliroid, Sigma, subdued him. Sigma then made Zero into his subordinate, partially so he could monitor him. Afterwards, Zero never went berserk again, and even became a Special A Class hunter.

Soon after, Sigma rose in revolt and tried to destroy everything. And then the Mavericks kept increasing and became more powerful. But thanks to X and ZERO’s work, the peace was restored over and over again. However…

After that…. Sigma invoked multiple rebellions. Irregulars increased in number, and powerful enemies appeared one after another. However, peace was always restored after each and every rebellion, due to the actions of Zero and X. But now...

I will note here that Keekiyasan's literal translation just says that Sigma "evokes a rebellion". However, it then went on to say that X and Zero would restore peace multiple times after that, which doesn't make sense if there was only one rebellion. In addition to that, the Japanese language doesn't actually HAVE plural forms for many of it's nouns, which is why you'll sometimes here Engrish sentences like "I have two dog" from them. So I'm guessing that Keeki may've made a mistake here, but I don't know for certain.

THE INTRO STAGE

X: ……… Where am I now…?

(X continues down highway)

X: This place seems familiar… Why am I here…!?

(Vile appears)

X: VAVA! Why are you… It can’t be. I crushed you!

Vile: …Die! X!!

X: ……Where am I….?

(X continues down the highway)

X: This is….I remember this place! Why am I here….!?

(VAVA appears)

X: You’re VAVA! That’s not possible! I defeated you!

VAVA: ….Die, X!

This is what Keeki means when he talks about the localizer's obsession with the word "crush". The Japanese version only has X saying that he "defeated" Vile, and yet, the English version has him saying that he "crushed" Vile instead. And believe me, this isn't the last time this is going to happen :mmmhmm:.

MIDDY'S INTRODUCTION

X: Zero, you must tell me! Tell me what’s going on!

X: Zero, tell me! What exactly is going on?!

Zero: X, now we see terrible confusion all over the world. Someone broke into the Mother Computer System of the Hunter Base and set its data to sabotage the world order.

Zero: X, right now the whole world is in trouble. Something or someone has hacked into the Hunter Base’s Mother Computer and is manipulating the data. Now they're throwing the whole world into disarray.

X: Who is doing such a thing!? I won’t allow anyone to disturb the peace we have tried hard to maintain.

X: Who could be doing such a thing?! I won’t forgive anyone who disturbs the world’s peace!

Zero: It seems that they are… reproducing the fighting data of the past… X, your data is contained in the past data in the Mother Computer. And the one who brought you back from the data world is…

Zero: It would seem they’re resurrecting past battle data. The place you slipped into was inside the Mother Computer’s past data. And then the one who brought you back out from inside that data was…

Middy: Hi, I’m Middy!

Middy: Hello, I’m Middy!

Zero: Middy is the greatest computer genius in the world. No one can match him. He will work with us to solve this case.

Zero: Middy is a super genius; Nobody in the world can stand up to him when it comes to computers. He’s helping us to sort out this incident.

Middy: It’s nice to meet you, X!

Middy: Nice to meet you, X!

X: Nice to meet you, too! Let’s work together to restore peace.

X: Nice to meet you, too! Let’s restore peace together!

Middy: X, so… Let me explain what we should do. In order to put the past data back, we need to fix a data in the “core” of the Mother Computer. This is the core of the Mother Computer. But the way to the core is “protected.” Unless you clear the protection, you can’t enter the core. The guardians of the protection is the boss data of the past.

Middy: Good! Now, here's your mission. To return the past data to how it was, the data in the Mother Computer’s “core” needs to be fixed. This is the Mother Computer’s core. But the way to the core has “protection”. If you don’t clear this "protection", you can’t enter. And then there's boss data defending THAT protection.

Zero: To break the protection, there is no other way but to go into the computer as a data form and then crush them all.

Zero: The only way to clear the protection is for someone to turn into data, enter the Mother Computer, and defeat them.

X: Zero, I’ll do it!

X: Zero! I’ll go!

Zero: OK. I’ll let you handle this. I’ll stay here and clean up all the Mavericks who are committing crimes in the confusion. Don’t forget that even though they are past data, they are still very strong. X, be careful!

Zero: Alright. We’ll leave it to you. I’ll go and clean up those who are using the confusion to commit evil. Even though they’re past data, there are many powerful foes… be extra careful.

X: All right! Here we go!

X: Okay! I’m moving out!

Middy: Good luck, X! Energy charge! Setup complete. Ready to transform! Start the Installation!

Middy: Do your best, X! Full energy! Setup complete. Preparations for data transfer OK! Beginning installation!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 2, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

DR. LIGHT'S FIRST THREE CAPSULES

CHILL PENGUIN’S STAGE

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Take this Leg Upgrade. The Upgrade will enhance your mobility on climbing the wall… This Upgrade will also allow you to crush certain blocks. Your field of activities have now been expanded. Go destroy the evil, X!

Dr. Light: Come, enter this capsule. With these Foot Parts I created, your leg strength will go up and the distance you’ll gain from a wall kick will greatly increase….furthermore, you’ll be able to break certain blocks by kicking them. With this your movement capabilities should be improved. Go X! Drive out evil wherever you go!

STORM EAGLE’S STAGE

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. This Head Upgrade will give you the ability of the Head Crush and allow you to crush certain blocks… Don’t hold back! Crush them all!

Dr. Light: Come, enter this capsule. With these Head Parts I created, you’ll be able to crush certain blocks….with a HEAD crush! Don’t hesitate, X! Smash their evil ambitions!

FLAME STAG’S STAGE

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Take this Body Upgrade. This Upgrade will increase your defensive ability and you’ll receive less damage… Protect peace and our future!

Dr. Light: Come, enter this capsule. With these Body Parts I created, your defensive powers will shoot up and damage will be halved….Protect peace, and protect our future, X!

THE THREE VILLAINS

Techno: I didn’t expect the past data could be destroyed so easily… Huh. We would get into trouble if the computer protections are broken… We need to make a move quickly.

Techno: I can't believe X deleted that past data so easily…Hehehehe. We're in big trouble if he manages to clear all the protection….think it's time we made a move.

Small line change that changes the way Techno comes across. Instead of going "Huh" (as in "minor amusement"), he's supposed to be going "Huhun" (as in "onomatopoeia for amused laughter"). So instead of "minor surprise", it's supposed to be "minor amusement". Probably just a translation error, since the latter is more true to his personality.

Geemel: Kekeke! Take it easy! Let’s relax and see his action from here.

Geemel: Kekeke! It’s fine! Let’s just chill and watch him from here!

Techno: Geemel, you’ll get hurt if you disvalue his power.

Techno: Don’t be stupid, Geemel. If you take his power lightly you’ll only get hurt.

Zain: Don’t worry, I’ll do it… I’ll crush him for sure…

Zain: I will go….I’ll stop him for sure….

Techno: OK. You go then.

Techno: Yeah. We’ll leave it to you.

Geemel: Kekeke! Don’t fail us!

Geemel: Kekeke! Don’t screw up!

THE FIGHT WITH ZAIN

Zain: You must be X… My name is Zain! You have no chance of beating me!

Zain: Zain: You’re X, eh… I would test your might!

(X wins against Zain.)

Zain: I underestimated you… You got lucky… But next time your luck won’t be able to save you…

Zain: Tch… looks like I underestimated you. Most impressive...but our next fight will your last…

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 23, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Boy, not a lot of dialogue in that one. Makes this next translation update real easy!

DOCTOR LIGHT'S BUSTER UPGRADE

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Take this Arm Upgrade. The Upgrade will increase the strength of your charged shots. This Upgrade will also allow you to charge any of your special weapons. Defeat the enemy there, X!

Dr. Light: Come, enter this capsule. With these Arm Parts I made, you’ll be able to fire a very powerful charge shot….furthermore, you’ll also be able to charge special weapons! Defeat the oncoming threat X!

Taking this super literally, it's easy to see why the English translation turned out the way it did. His literal words can mean "defeat the approaching foe", OR it can mean "defeat the approaching foes". Going with the latter interpretation, it seems to me like he's speaking more metaphorically, and isn't saying that anyone is ACTUALLY sneaking up behind X at that very moment.

TO THE CORE!!

Dr. Cain: X! Finally we’ve cleared all the protection!

X: All right! Dr. Cain… I’m going to go to the core!

Dr. Cain: X! We’ve finally cleared all the protection!

X: Understood, Dr. Cain! I’m moving out!

Yeah, pretty much the same. Keeniya's translation was actually "we've SOLVED all the protection", but I'm guessing that the word used there can mean "cleared" to, and the latter makes more sense.

REMATCH WITH ZAIN!

Zain: I’ve been waiting for you, X! You have no chance to win!

Zain: I’ve been waiting...X, there is no way you can beat me! Here I come!

(X defeats Zain.)

Zain: I can’t believe this…

Zain: Im-Impossible...

(Zain dies. Geemel appears.)

Geemel: Kyee! X, you disgust me!

Geemel: You’ve really done it now! Kiiii!

X: Who are you?!

X: Who are you?!

Geemel: My name is Geemel! How dare you defeat my buddy! I’ll get you later! Remember!

Geemel: Mi name is Geemel! You destroyed mi amigo! Imma make life HELL for you! Remember that!

Turns out, Geemel has an interesting speech quirk here in the Japanese version. See, he does NOT use Japanese Pronouns to refer to himself, but instead just uses the English word "me". I don't know WHY he does that, but in the context of the Japanese language, this makes him sound like...

1) A foreigner

2) A really, REALLY weird, quirky guy

So, that's why my localization has him saying "Mi name is Geemel" and "You've defeated mi amigo!" "Mi" is the Spanish word for "my", and I'm sure you can guess what "amigo" is. And, in case you haven't guess, "Imma make life HELL for you!" is an embellishment of what was originally just "I'll make things hard for you!". I figured that was ok, because again, we want to emphasize his quirkiness.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 6, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

I am very much okay with Geemel being some form of Hispanic troll.

:cheeky:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

No but seriously, what the gently caress is going on in the story here? I am so god drat confused. Fionordequester we need you now more than ever! :cry:

I'm on it Mithos! Here we go!

DR. LIGHT'S SHOTOKON UPGRADGES

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. I’ll give you the Shotokan moves… “Hadou-ken” and “Shouryu-ken”! First, fully charge the energy by holding the B button. Then hold the UP button and release the B button… You’ll perform the famous Shouryu-ken! If you hold the DOWN button and release the B button… You’ll perform powerful Hadou-ken! Remember that you can only perform these moves when you are on the ground.

Dr. Light: Now X...I shall teach you two legendary techniques, the “Hadouken” and “Shouryuuken”! First, if you charge your buster to Full, then let go of the button while pressing up….BAM! Shoryuken! And if you let go while holding down…. BOOM! Hadouken! But, you can only unleash these techniques while standing on the ground.

Dr. Light doesn't TECHNICALLY say "Bam!" and "Boom!" in the Japanese script, but he actually really does act like a little kid here. The literal quotes are "First, if you charge until Full Charge, then let go of the button while pressing up….Shoouryuuken! If you let go while holding down…. Hadouken!", so I don't think I deviated too much from the original meaning.

X HEADS TO THE CORE AFTER BEATING ZAIN

Dr. Cain: X! Finally you can enter the core!

X: All right! I’m going to go to the core!

Dr. Cain: X! You’re finally able to enter the core!

X: Understood! Heading out!

X VS. SIGMA: ROUND 1

???: Fu fu fu… I am impressed. You have done very well.

???: Hehehe….you’ve done well in making it here, X.

Darn it, there's that accursed "Fufufufu" again...Again, if you ever see this in your translation, just run and never look back. Unless it's Pokemon Emerald, which, for some reason is still a competent localization in spite of having that laugh.

X: I know your voice…

X: That voice….it can’t be!

(Sigma appears.)

X: Sigma! So, you’ve been behind all of this?!

X: Sigma! So you were the one behind all this!

Sigma: Fu fu… Your efforts are worthy… But they will end here! Ha ha ha! X! Get ready to be destroyed!

Sigma: Hehehe…you endeavors are praise-worthy indeed, but they will all end here! Hwahahahaha! Prepare yourself, X!

(X defeats Sigma.)

Sigma: Ha ha… Nice try! But you’re just a tiny bug to me! Ha ha ha ha…

Sigma: Hahahahaha…How sad. If that's all you have, then all your efforts will be in vain! Hwahahahaha….

Note to all you reading this. If you ever read "Fuhahaha" in any JRPG (which I transcribed as "Hwahahaha"), it's supposed to sound like this...except hopefully with just a liiiitle more feeling to it.

(Sigma withdraws.)

Techno: Oh no! We’ve been spotted! Is there nobody who can stop him?

Techno: NO! Now they've found US too! Is there nobody who can stop him?

Geemel: Darn! With this type of situation… I just run away… !

Geemel: Bloody hell! If it’s all gonna be like this….I’ll just RUN!!

Techno: Geemel! Darn! He left me behind!

Techno: Geemel! drat you!

FAREWELL TO MIDDY AND TECHNO

Dr. Cain: X, finally I’ve found Sigma’s hiding place! You can warp from the core of the Mother Computer.

Dr. Cain: X, we’ve finally discovered where Sigma is hiding! You can get there by warping from the Mother Computer's core.

X: All right! Dr. Cain, I’m going to go there now!

X: Understood, Dr. Cain! I'm moving out!

Dr. Cain: It would seem that someone worked with Sigma and hacked the computer from there.

Dr. Cain: It seems that there is someone there who is hacking the computer in cooperation with Sigma.

Middy: …You know what, X? I have something to tell you… … No. Never mind. Good luck!

Middy: ... Hey, X. About that... no, it’s nothing. Be careful!

(X enters the core and meets Techno.)

Techno: Darn it! I didn’t notice it soon, but he’s already come so close! I need to make a move quickly…

Techno: drat! You’ve already come this far? I have to do something….

X: No! I won’t allow you! I’ll crush the machine!

X: No, I won’t let you! I’ll destroy that machine!

(X destroys the computer.)

Techno: Waaaaa!

Techno: Uwaaaa!

(Techno suddenly collapses.)

Middy: Brother!

Middy: Brotheeer!

Techno: Oh… that voice sounds familiar…

Techno: Ooh….that voice….

X: Middy!

Middy: Sob! My brother, Techno!

Middy: Uwaaa! Techno!

"Uwaaa" is basically onomatopoeia for sobbing, so, they're still being kind of lazy here, but...at least they're showing that they...KIND of get it?

Techno: What… am I doing here…

Techno: Where is this...what was I doing…?

Middy: Techno! Oh, you’re waking up…

Middy: Brother! You’ve come to.

Techno: I’ve been controlled by Sigma… Middy… it’s all over with me… In order to hack the Mother Computer… I connected my own CPU directly with the computer…

Techno: Has Sigma been manipulating me this whole time...? Middy….I’m done for…When I hacked the Mother Computer, I had to upload my own mind directly to that computer over there in order to do it.

And now I think is where some of the confusion comes from. I don't think Techno's ACTUALLY saying that he put his own mind into the Mother Computer itself. I think what he was saying was that he connected his mind to the computer that X smashed instead, and then it was through THAT computer that he hacked the Mother Computer. But with the way it's worded in the English version, it sounds like he really is saying that he just put his mind directly into the Mother Computer instead. Hopefully this is at least a little helpful.

Middy: No! Don’t say that! Techno!! Please hold on!

Middy: Uwaaa, don’t say that! Brother, hold on!

Techno: Sigma is good at toying and controlling people’s hearts. He took advantage of my heart and made me work for him…

Techno: Sigma is good at capturing people’s hearts….at some point I, too, had the weaknesses of my heart exploited.

Middy: You are a genius! You don’t have a weak heart.

Middy: You’re a genius, brother! You don’t have anything like a weak heart!

Techno: Huh, you think so? Middy… But… you don’t understand…..

Techno: Hmph, maybe so….but Middy….there’s no way….you understand….

Middy: Nooo! Please… Techno! Don’t leave me! Techno!

Middy: Uwaaa! Technooo! Don’t leave me! Brotheeer!

X: Middy, what happened?

X: Middy, what’s wrong?!

Middy: Techno is my twin brother. We share a CPU. So if he dies, I also die…

Middy: Techno is my twin brother and we share a brain CPU. So, if my brother dies, then I will too….

(Middy collapses.)

Middy: X… Never give in to him! Be sure to defeat Sigma! ……

Middy: X….you mustn’t lose. You absolutely have to beat Sigma! ……….

X: Middy! Hold on! I’ll be back soon. Stay here!

X: Middy! Get a hold of yourself! I’ll be right back! Wait here!

X VS. SIGMA: ROUND 2

Sigma: I thought you would come here. I enjoyed your performances so much… But the entertainment is over. You must fall! Get ready!

Sigma: You’ve come just as expected. Your participation this time was quite a pleasure to watch….but the show ends here.

X: It’ll be the final battle! I’ll finish you at any cost!

X: This is it Sigma! One way or another, I WILL win!!

(X defeats Sigma)

Sigma: Hee hee hee. I guess I will retreat for now… However… X… Don’t think that this is the end! Ha ha ha…!

Sigma: Hehehehe….well, I suppose I will retreat for now I will. But X….don’t think that this is the end! Hwahahahaha!

And now, apparently, the localizers have suddenly changed their minds about how to transcribe the laughs. See, Sigma does the exact same "Fufufufu" laugh that he did the last time, but NOW, instead of translating it literally, they just changed the laugh to "Hee hee hee hee". I...honestly don't know which was the lesser of two evils, but either way, I don't like it. Gimme some consistency darn it!

THE...ENDING?

X: Middy, hold on! We have to evacuate now!

X: Middy, hold on! We’re going to escape now!

Middy: Uh… X… It… seems I’m done for… Thanks to you, Techno recovered his senses… Thank you, X…..

Middy: Ooh...X...I’m...done for. Thanks to you, X, my brother was able to regain himself…thank you, X…

(Middy dies.)

X: Middyyyy!

(X returns to base.)

Zero: X, our mission here is complete. … What’s up, X? Where is Middy?

Zero: X, our mission here is over…What’s wrong, X? Where is Middy?

X: Zero… I’m sorry… I couldn’t save Middy’s life.

X: Zero…I’m sorry…I wasn’t able to save Middy…

Zero: … X. It’s not your fault. Middy sacrificed himself to help all of us. He helped us to defeat Sigma… Don’t waste his sacrifices!

Zero: ….X, that’s not your fault. Middy sacrificed himself. He did it to help us defeat Sigma. Just don't let Middy die in vain.

X: ……… It’s not true peace when the strong rule the world… and the weak are sacrificed… It is very wrong, for sure! I will fight to prevent that!

X: …A world controlled only by the strong will never know true peace. And to have it built on the corpses of innocent people...there is no justice in that! I will fight so that we never have to live in a world like that!

Narrator: Thanks to X and ZERO’s work, Sigma’s ambition to take over the computer world was stopped. But the last words of Sigma make X feel unrest… “But, I won’t let evil win. No matter how strong or how many enemies I must defeat, I will always fight to protect the peace.” X makes this promise in his mind.

Narrator: And so, thanks to X and Zero, Sigma's ambitions have come crumbling down within the computer world. However, Sigma’s finals words make X feel uneasy…. X firmly swore in his heart, “I will never forgive the evil that spreads throughout this world. I will restore peace, no matter how strong my enemies are.”

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 23, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

dotchan posted:

Magical Twin Powers is my only guess for why one twin dying would also kill the other. Capcom likes that cliche.

Honestly? I really think the whole thing was just lazy writing. Capcom KNEW that there wasn't anything to get that invested in, so rather than thinking of something inventive, they...just pulled something out of thin air. They literally created a character who's only purpose was to die, and then just called it a day. They did it purely for manufactured tragedy, logic and reason be darned. That's how I see it anyway.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

Wouldn't be the first time. *looks at Iris*

Yes, I know her death makes sense, but she was still made just to die tragically. And be forgotten other than an obscure GBC game and one line in the next game.

Yeah. The weirdest thing about that though is that, despite EVERYTHING in my gut telling me how contrived it was, I STILL felt sad about it, especially since X5 made a point of saying that Zero was still broken up about it. I guess if anything, they did a good enough job of showing Zero's anguish that I was still able to get invested.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Lord Malfegor posted:

I don't know much about the X series, how exactly is X such a huge improvement over the original Megaman model? Apart from the vague "can think more human-like" and the special weapon charge shots he is pretty similar right?

I think the explanation was that, compared to Mega Man and the other Robot Masters, X was pretty special. But then all the OTHER Reploids were made to be really strong too, and from there, the strength difference between X and Mega Man just kind of lost all relevance.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

It's not exactly the most canonical thing in the world, but that episode and a cool little easter egg we're going to show off way, way down the line in X8 gives you a pretty good picture of the power differential.

Yeah, and besides, look at X's interior skeleton!

Interior Skeleton: Reactive Super-flexible Armoured Skeleton which reduces 93 percent of damage.

Body Skin: Lightweight "Titanium-X" alloy.

93% of Damage! 93% OF ALL DAMAGE!! That's like, only 7% off of 100%! And that's pretty cool! ...

Of course, all the OTHER Reploids probably have that too, but, details details :sigh:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

One other thing I'd like to bring up, I love how Sigma is ALWAYS the hardest fight in the games he appears in, at least from X to X5. His 2nd form proves to be an extremely harrowing battle in what's otherwise a fairly easy game, he's by far the hardest guy to use the Shoryuken on in X2, both of his X3 forms are insanely hard to damage AND hit like freight trains, X4 has him use some truly nasty tricks on you, and then X5 had those fricken purple cubes. Combine that with his appearance, and he has this physical menace about him that Dr. Wily never had. You may know you're going to win in the end, but you also know that Sigma's going to give you one heck of a fight in each and every game.

Also kind of like how consistent his fighting style is from game to game. X5 and beyond kind of messed it up, but before then, he was always very aggressive, and very agile in his humanoid forms. He was always on the attack, and you hardly got any breathing room.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I really love Sigma's character and design. Guy's probably the most memorable villain in the franchise for me.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

This has to be the only time Zero did not receive any spotlight.

Indeed. It is not true X where Zero has not found spotlight. It is very wrong for sure.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Dresh posted:

That's exactly what happened. During the pitch for the first game he quickly showed a Zero picture and said, "Oh yeah, and this is a side character."

Then when the sequel was being developed he was like, "Hey, so that Zero guy was kinda cool right? Let's base the plot around bringing that dude back!"

Rather funny, that. Pretty much everyone who is ever introduced in the X series (up to X5 anyway) is introduced only to die a tragic death, like Iris and Middy did. So it's hilarious to think that even Zero was going to be that kind of character until Inafune decided he liked him too much :cheeky:.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

jivjov posted:

Nah, Mighty No. 9 is under horrific mismanagement, but there not been any indication that it's a con.

Really? What's the story behind that, if I may ask?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

Meanwhile, in Xtreme, we come to the last real hurrah for story, there is one more episode after this but it is almost entirely poo poo we've already seen, in a game comprised of 95% stuff we've already seen.

Megaman Xtreme:
8. Magna Geemel Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

Interesting foot note. RTA runners will actually go OUT OF THEIR WAY to make Magna Centipede their THIRD stage in Extreme Mode, and will even make it their FIRST stage in "Hard" Mode. So Zero Final, at least, IS really good, just...not any of the others.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

Considering the only unique stuff is Zain, Geemel, and Music Genera? I'll take tolerable as high praise. X3 and 4 will be more fun, lots of cool stuff going on there, and Xtreme 2 is less repetitive, at the very least it doesn't make you play the fortress stages twice.

I am honestly surprised there is a speed running community for this game, interesting

Yep yessir! Really, it's more that the community is dedicated to ALL Mega Man games, and Xtreme just happens to be one of em...but still, here it is!

http://megamanleaderboards.net/index.php?game=54

One thing though. How exactly do you manage to NOT play the fortress stages twice to get Xtreme 2's Extreme Mode? You've got to get like, 4000 Souls to get it in the shop, right? I don't see how you'd manage to reach that benchmark by the time you beat the game twice.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Clarste posted:

To be honest, I'm just waiting for Xtreme to be over and disappointed every update that it isn't.

Well, for JUST a foretaste of just how much better Xtreme 2 is in every way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfAH_DyEC1M

:D

Seriously, you know you did a good job when your GBC music is actually better than the original SNES music!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Indeed. Either way though, it's kind of amazing that we went from Xtreme 1, where all of it's tracks are just watered down versions of X1, to Xtreme 2, where the two are actually close enough in quality to compare, isn't it?

Oh yeah, and here's the translation stuff I've been neglecting.

SECRET MESSAGE FROM MIDDY

Middy: Congratulations! You have cleared this game. Let me give you a tip as a reward for your efforts. “Hard Mode” is now available! New stages and bosses are waiting for you to challenge! You can start a game with the same equipment when you’ve cleared the game. So you’ll be prepared even when strong enemies attack you! Make sure you remember to save your data now! Good Luck!

Middy: Congratulations on beating the game! You clearly worked hard, so I'm going to let you in on a little secret! You can now play on "Hard Mode”! New stages and bosses are waiting for you! Also, you can start with Cleared Data, so….no matter what strong enemies there are, it’ll all be OK! So be sure to save! And see you soon!

HACKED AGAIN!!

X: Zero, you must tell me! What’s happening!

X: Zero, tell me! What’s going on?!

Zero: The Mother Computer, which was restored, is now not working again.

Zero: The Mother Computer data, which should have been restored to normal, is out of control again.

X: I don’t believe it!

X: No way!

Zero: We found illegal access record in the Mother Computer… Someone must have accessed the data secretly. That person has been reproducing the fighting data of the past. In order to fix the Mother Computer we will need to fight our enemies in their data form…

Zero: We've found evidence of the Mother Computer being illegally accessed….the one manipulating the data should be somewhere. But, that person's reviving past battle data, so if we're going to fix the Mother Computer, the only option is to transform into data once again.

X: Zero, I’ll do it!

X: Zero! I’ll go!

Zero: OK. You handle this… And I’ll look into who is behind this evil plan. Be sure to watch out…

Zero: I’m counting on you, X. I’ll go search for the mastermind behind this incident. Be careful X….

X: All right! Here we go!

THE ZERO CAPSULES!

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Install the program, ZERO SCRAMBLE: DASH! This program will allow you to call your best partner, Zero… The range of the attacks is limited but it can help you a lot if you use it wisely. Be careful about your energy…

Dr. Light: Come, enter this capsule.

A program to call upon your good partner Zero...I will install Zero Scramble: Dash! It's attack range is limited, but it should be helpful. There are four Zero Scrambles, but they all share the same energy. Furthermore, if you don’t clear a stage the energy won’t be restored. I would advise you to use it carefully...

So already Dr. Light is more specific about how weapon energy works.

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Install the program, ZERO SCRAMBLE: RISING! This program will allow you to call your best friend and fellow soldier, ZERO… His striking power is enormous, but hard to control! Perform this on enemies in the sky. It also works on bosses!

This is a program to call upon your best friend, your brother-in-arms Zero...I will install Zero Scramble: Rising! It’s hard to make it hit the enemy, but its attack power is tremendous! It’d be wise to use it on enemies above. It’s also effective against bosses!

Buuuuuut then ruins it by saying that it's effective on bosses, and opposed to just saying it "works" on bosses. So ultimately, both versions are flawed.

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Install the program, ZERO SCRAMBLE: EARTH GAIZER! This program will allow you to call your best friend, Zero... You can damage enemies around you! This requires a lot of energy... Use this only in a desperate situation.

A program to call upon the one who knows you best, Zero...I will install Zero Scramble: Earth Geyser! It can damage the enemies around you! It's energy consumption is intense though, so use it just when you’re in a pinch!

Yeah, I think "Earth Gaizer" is a romanization fail on the localization team's part. If you read it's Katakana in Japanese, it's pronounced "EARTH-GUY-ZER"...

Well ok, TECHNICALLY it's pronounced "AWWWSS-GUY-ZAH", but that's only due to the limitations of Ja which is how "GEYSER" is pronounced. Combine that with the fact that the animation is Zero pounding the ground to create an UPWARD wave of energy, and I think it's pretty clear what it was supposed to be.

Actually, speaking of romanization fails, let's talk about Katakana words for a moment. In addition to native Japanese words (which are written in Hiragana), the Japanese also have words that they stole from other languages. For THESE words, they try their darndest to pronounce them exactly the way they were pronounced in their original language, to mixed results. So for example, "video game" is pronounced "BEE-DEE-OH-GAM" in their culture. And they reason they do that is because it sounds really cool...TO THEM, it sounds really cool, because they look at words like that and go "oooh, that's a FOREIGN word! How FANCY!

This, by the way, is why anime dubbers will often leave a lot of attack names and the like undubbed when localizing properties from Japan. "Boomer Kuwanger", for example, sounds a heck of a lot better than "Boomer Beetle". And the reason for that is we look at "Kuwanger", and go "OOOOOH, fancy!"

So, what we have here is a case where the localization team just translated "Scramble" literally, without any regard for how different it sounds to us than it does in Japan.

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Install the program, ZERO SCRAMBLE: FINAL! This will allow you to call a Special A level Hunter, Zero… This is the most powerful weapon and will destroy almost any enemy. Keep in mind that this requires a huge amount of energy… Use this on strong enemies that may seem impossible to defeat!

A program to call upon Zero, the Special A Class Hunter...I will install Zero Scramble: Final! This is a secret technique that kills a single enemy with certainty...however, it will use an enormous amount of energy, so it’s best to use it against an enemy that you can’t seem to beat no matter what...

MEANWHILE, AT THE FORTRESS OF EVIL...

Geemel: Kekeke! Disgusting X! How could you beat me last time! I’ll pay you back for that! I’m going to mess up the data in the Mother Computer! I hope have fun fixing my mess, X!

]Geemel: Kekeke! Kisama X! Oh how you made us SUFFER last time! I'm gonna return the favor! I'll screw up the Mother Computer! That's what you get! Stupid X!

Keekiyasan has Geemel saying "B****** X!", but I figured it'd be funnier if I had him throwing in another foreign word instead. Besides, all Geemel did in the original language was attach a negative suffix to the end of X's name, so I thought invoking the B-word was kind of xtreme anyway.

X VS. GEEMEL, ROUND 1

Geemel: Kekeke! I’ve been waiting for you X! I’m going to take the time to stop you here and finish you off once and for all.

(X win against Geemel.)

Geemel: Kyee! This can’t be! Don’t think you’ve beat me just because you won this round!

Geemel: Kekeke! So you’ve come, stupid X! Now mi will personally get in yer way!

(X wins against Geemel)

Geemel: Kiii! That was luck, obviously! Don’t think you beaten me with that!

X VS. GEEMEL, ROUND 2

Geemel: I’ve been waiting for you X! Kekeke. You seem to be having problems! I’ll give you another problem to deal with!

(X defeats Geemel.)

Geemel: Kyee! How frustrating!

[spoiler]Geemel: You’ve made it, X, kekeke! From the looks of it you seem to be in quite the pickle, eh! Mi will stop your justice or whatever!

(X defeats Geemel)

Geemel: Kiii! I’m so pissed!

"Mi will stop your justice or whatever!" My personal favorite line in all the Japanese version :mmmhmm:

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 19, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Kurieg posted:

You've got some extraneous spoiler tags in there messing up the formatting.

Whoops! Thank you so much Kurieg! Already fixed those :) !

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Well, that's that. The final sections of dialogue. Hopefully I've demonstrated just what a blessing a good localization can be...

X VS. SIGMA: ROUND 3

???: Fu fu fu… You made it.

???: Hehehe...so you’ve finally made it.

X: Sigma! You’ve been behind all of this!

X: Sigma! You’re the one behind everything again?

Sigma: Didn’t you think it was strange that you could defeat me with such easy attacks? You’re no wiser than before, X! Now you will pay for your ignorance!

Sigma: Did you think you had defeated me with that last effort? You’re as naïve as ever, X; And for that, you will now DIE!

(X defeats Sigma.)

Sigma: Hahaha… No matter what you do, it’ll be in vain! Hahaha…

Sigma: Hahaha...no matter what you do, it will be in vain! Hahahaha….

CONVERSATION WITH ZERO

Zero: X, it was Sigma again who was behind everything. We’re going to destroy Sigma’s hiding place completely. To scatter their power, we’ll split up from now!

Zero: X, it was Sigma! He was the one pulling the strings again, just as we suspected...we're going to annihilate Sigma’s hideout now. To divide the enemy’s battle power we will split up and mobilize!

X: OK, let’s go!

X: Alright, let’s go!

X VS. SIGMA: ROUND 4

Sigma: You’re here again! We had fun last time… But playtime is over! Hahaha! Get ready to be destroyed!

Sigma: So, you came once again. And once again, I had plenty of fun with your efforts. However, it all ends here! Hahahahaha, get ready, X!

X: It’ll be the final battle! I’ll finish you at any cost!

X: There's no WAY I'll lose Sigma! I'll destroy you once and for all!

(Sigma transforms but it defeated by X.)

Sigma: Why… Why do you win all the time… Where does your power come from? GuaaaAAA!!

Sigma: Why….why do you always win….where could the source of that power possibly be….GUWAAAAAAAAA!!

THE EPILOGUE

Zero: We cleaned out the enemies. We can escape from here!

Zero: The enemies here have been cleaned up. Now let's get out of here.

X: All right! Let’s go!

X: All right! Let’s go!

Narrator: Thanks to X and Zero’s work, Sigma’s ambition to take over the computer world was stopped. But evil is very tough to completely stop. When evil emerges again… they’ll be there to fight… For now, we can only hope that the world will give X and Zero some peace…

Narrator: Sigma's plans to rule the computer world have finally been eradicated, thanks to the efforts of X and Zero. However, the forces of evil still live on. When the time comes, our heroes will once again fight them, and flush them out. Until then, let’s just pray that this world’s peace will be the balm that X and his friends need to rest easy….

A WILD TECHNO APPEARS!

A Challenge from Techno!

Techno: Humph. You have done very well … I didn’t expect that you would defeat the Hard Mode… But do you have what it takes to complete the “Extreme Mode” which I programmed for you! This is an awesome mode containing 8 stages to clear. Keep in mind that you can’t use the save data that you’ve cleared. There are no story sequences, as it is specialized just for battle! So, why don’t you save your data here and go for it? If you have the guts… Hope to see you again… Heh heh heh…

Techno: Hmhmhmm...you’re pretty good. Clearly I underestimated you, if you were able to beat Hard Mode. In that case, how about playing on “Extreme”, the mode that I programmed? It’s a devilish mode with all the stages, all the powerful foes...And, get this, you can’t use your Clear Data. So how about you save your data now? Kukuku...I hope I can meet you again, someday...hehehe....

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 23, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Speaking of X3, do you guys still want me to do the translation write ups? This is about the point where the localizations radically improved in quality, so there's not going to be many significant differences like in X2 and Xtreme. Do you guys want me to continue anyway?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Kurieg posted:

X3 is my favorite of the SNES X games. The buster is at least visually impressive, if not very effective due to the travel delay.

Well.. with the possible exception of one boss's name.

If you're talking about Godkarmachine O Inary...Honestly, just how the heck ARE you supposed to localize a name like that? "Inary" is based on the Fox King, who is an important figure in Shinto religion, so that's something. Other than that though, the designers basically just threw a bunch of "OOOOOH FANCY!!" English words together and called it a day :cheeky:.

And that's not even that uncommon either. For example, there's a game called "Elnard" that has this guy (the one with two swords)...

Do you want to know what this guy's name is? DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT THIS GUY'S NAME IS?!?

"Soul Hard"

No, that is literally his name. "Soul Hard". At this point, you really have no choice but to either translate it literally (while maybe trying to find some fancier words, like "Fiendish Spirit" or something), or just replace the name completely, maybe find something else that sounds cooler or whatever (like, maybe "Eclipso"? I think that has a nice ring to it).

Or, if you wanted to translate it literally, but still not make it sound dumb, you could just borrow from other languages. "Kataikijin", for example, is a combination of two Japanese words that means "Hard" and "Spirit" respectively, with jin being a suffix that basically means "this is the kind of person that this guy is".

So for example, if someone is called a "Nihonjin", that means he is a "Japanese person".

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 21, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Oh I know full well it's basically just "God Karma(e.g. reincarnation) Machine of Great Inari" mashed together into two words without any respect for the English language. I was more poking fun at the whole "it's really the best translated game...except for.. that."

Also they're called Bit and Byte, so there's all sorts of names you could've called their combined form in English carrying on that naming scheme.

Oh really? I don't have as much knowledge in computers as I do in Japanese. What kind of names are you thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Kurieg posted:

You'd probably have to massage the words a bit to make them work but "Octet" springs to mind, this is also before Reboot was a glimmer in anybody's eye so "Megabyte" is pretty damned obvious.

Huh...Megabyte huh? That's actually pretty clever :). I wonder if "Terrabyte Karma Machine: ΑΩ" might be a good name? "ΑΩ" means "Alpha and Omega" for those curious, with "Alpha and Omega" being one of the names that God goes by.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 22, 2016

• Locked thread