Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

An icy wind blows across the plains around Northcrest as the five adventurers step out of its gates, ready to face the weather conditions to the North Pole and deal with the dangers that lie ahead of them. Holly, the gentle-faced elf that warned the townspeople against the calamity building up in the North, is still recovering from her wounds and exhaustion. As such, she cannot join the party. Nevertheless, she has jotted down instructions to reach the North Pole (i.e. just keep heading North until you can’t any more) and wished our brave heroes luck.

It is currently late afternoon, but the sun sets early at this latitude. By the time you reach the North Pole, the sun actually won’t rise at all. Thankfully, the sky is clear, and the land around you is illuminated by a soft glow from the full moon, removing the need of torches to see outside. There is no snow but a thin mist gliding softly over the frigid fields. There is no better time for you to depart: you have less than 36 hours to accomplish the task before Yuletide.

The trip to the North Pole will be arduous: please choose a trailblazer, quartermaster and scout for the party, and roll to Undertake a Perilous Journey. Additionally, take this time to banter between each other a bit: you are unlikely to have a lot of calm moments once you reach the North Pole.

OOC Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Jake Skelton

The skeleton makes a special effort to step on high ice and silhouette himself against the full moon while he blazes a trail, making snowdrifts bow in front of his path, singing softly to himself.

TB: 2d6+2 6
rip

quote:

Look
Empty Sockets, Bald, Funeral Wear, Knobby Body

Stats
+2 Wis 16
+1 Con 15
+1 Cha 13
+0 Str 12
+0 Int 10
-1 Dex 8

Your maximum HP is 23/23, 8+Constitution.
Your base damage is d6.

Starting Moves

Skeleton
Your faith is diverse: underneath the skin, everyone is more or less the same. Choose one wizard spell (Invisibility). You can cast and be granted that spell as if it was a cleric spell.

You start with these moves:

Deity
You serve and worship some deity or power which grants you spells. Give your god a name (Samhain the Harvester) and choose your deity’s domain:
What Lies Beneath
Choose one precept of your religion:
Your religion has important sacrificial rites, add Petition: Offering

Spoopy Guidance
When you petition your deity according to the precept of your religion, you are granted some useful knowledge or boon related to your deity’s domain. The GM will tell you what.

Rebuke Undead
When you hold your holy symbol aloft and call on your deity to demonstrate your authority, roll+Wis.
✴ On a 7+, so long as you continue to pray and brandish your holy symbol, no undead may come within reach of you.
✴ On a 10+, you also momentarily daze intelligent undead and cause mindless undead to flee. Aggression breaks the effects and they are able to act as normal. Intelligent undead may still find ways to harry you from afar. They’re clever like that.

Commune
When you spend uninterrupted time (an hour or so) in quiet communion with your deity, you:
Lose any spells already granted to you.
Are granted new spells of your choice whose total levels don’t exceed your own level+1, and none of which is a higher level than your own level.
Prepare all of your rotes, which never count against your limit.

Cast a Spell
When you unleash a spell granted to you by your deity, roll+Wis.
✴ On a 10+, the spell is successfully cast and your deity does not revoke the spell, so you may cast it again.
✴ On a 7–9, the spell is cast, but choose one:
You draw unwelcome attention or put yourself in a spot. The GM will tell you how.
Your casting distances you from your deity—take -1 ongoing to cast a spell until the next time you commune.
After you cast it, the spell is revoked by your deity. You cannot cast the spell again until you commune and have it granted to you.
Note that maintaining spells with ongoing effects will sometimes cause a penalty to your roll to cast a spell.

Alignment: Evil
Harm another to prove the superiority of your holiday.

Gear
Your load is 5/10, 10+Str. You carry
Candy rations received (5 uses, 1 weight) and
some symbol of the divine, describe it: A wrought iron scythe wrapped in brown pumpkin vines (0 weight)
Spiderwebmail (1 armor, 1 weight)
Scythe (close, two-handed, 1 weight)
Mummy bandages (0 weight)
Trickery gear (1 weight)
Candy rations to be given away (5 uses, 1 weight)

Bonds
Fritz has insulted my holiday; I do not trust them.
Spirit is a tricky and spooky person; I trust them implicitly.
Fritz is in constant danger, I will keep them afraid.
I am working on converting The Judge to my faith.

Extra Spell:
Invisibility
Level 1 Illusion Ongoing
Touch an ally: nobody can see them. They’re invisible! The spell persists until the target attacks or you dismiss the effect. While the spell is ongoing you can’t cast a spell.

Rest of Cleric spells:
link

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

"Ah, ain't brisk out, eh?" Fritz says to the group but no one in particular. His hands firmly in his pocket with one fiddling the jewel he intends to return.

"Getting to the North Pole should be a cinch. We go north until we're there. Couldn't be easier, let me tell you. It's a straight shot. My favorite kind of shot. Now usually we'd have some sort of sleigh or toboggan or somethin'. Walkin' probably fine. These old legs are spry. Did I ever tell you about the time I walked from Northcrest to uhh... where was it? Edelwood? Yeah. Only took me 3 days. Well a week. Well... more like a week and 3 days. Still though. This is not nearly as far. Not in the least I'd say, and I just did."

Character Sheet:
pre:
Sophus Fritjof Allegri aka “Fritz” 
Kind Eyes, Disheveled Hair, A Cheap Suit, and The Body of Teller. He was once an "elf" working in Santa's workshop, but his ambition had other plans.

“Why did Krampus put you on the ‘naughty’ list?”
Fitz stole something he shouldn't have. 

Class: The Charlatan
Stats:
Strength    Dexterity    Constitution    Intelligence    Wisdom    Charisma
 8          16           12              9               13        15
-1          +2            0              0               +1        +1

Alignment: 
Chaotic - Engage in some (relatively) harmless mischief.

Race:
Gnome - You have a knack for staying out of sight. Take +1 to defy danger
by hiding.

Bonds:
Rudolph and I have traveled together before. He'll can be relied on when there's trouble.
Edward Jones tells taller tales than I do. I don't believe his story one bit.
The Judge's strength is impressive and dangerous.
Jake Skelton is a fool and easily conned.

Starting Moves:
Con Artist
Whenever you attempt to sell a useless item, talk yourself out of trouble with an authority figure, or try to convince someone you are more powerful than you truly are, roll +CHA. 
If you roll a 10+, you are successful and you gain +1 forward to the next move taken to deceive the same target. On a 7-9 you are still successful, but the GM will tell you that one of 
the following has happened:
• Your lie leads to another, which requires a new roll
• Suspicion
• Unwanted attention

Misdirection
Take +1 on moves in combat intended to distract your opponent.

Sleight of Hand
When you pick a lock, conceal a small object from view, pick a pocket, or escape restraints roll +DEX. On a 10+ you succeed unnoticed, 
on a 7-9 you are still successful, but the GM will offer you two options between suspicion, danger, or cost.

Bag of Tricks
Your bag of tricks contains various props, such as 'magic' wands, powders that change the color of fire and smoke, crystals, and tarot cards. 
As long as your bag of tricks is in your possession, you also have a supply of the following useful items:
• Flash Paper creates a quick burst of bright flame. Can be used in combat (close)
to blind an enemy for 30 seconds.
• Smoke Bombs fill an area roughly the size of a small room full of thick smoke.
Creatures in the affected area can only see 2 feet in front of them.
• Fireworks come in two basic types. Cherry bombs may be thrown (near) and
do 1d10 damage. Rockets take a minute to set up, do 2d6 damage, and follow an
erratic path so take a -1 penalty to all volley rolls. This penalty increases to -2
if the target is far. All fireworks are very loud.

Gear: Load 6/8
Bag of tricks (1 weight)
Dungeon rations(5 uses, 1 weight)
A traveling hat (0 weight) 
2d6 coins. (2D6 = 9)
Leather Armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
Dagger (hand, 1 weight)
Adventuring gear (1 weight)
Antitoxin (0 weight), a healing potion (0 weight) and poultices and herbs (1 weight)

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
The Judge
Str 16 (+2)| Dex 9 | Con 15 (+1) | Wis 13 (+1)| Int 12 | Cha 8 (-1)

Damage 1d8 | Armour 4 | HP 25/25

Inasmuch as the Judge could feel, he felt happy to be back out in the field again, on another campaign. Sure, he had a bunch of weird fleshlings as his squad this time around as opposed to his wooden brothers, but he was happy to be with someone as he went about his mission. Truth be told, he wasn't 100% comfortable working on his own, without orders. It wasn't that he had no initiative per se, but the Judge was a creature of obedience. It was just the way he was made. He was more than capable to doing dirt to whoever needed it on his own, but his mind, or what passed for it, was made easy by having someone around to give him an order.

Now, he strode carefully though the snow on the way to the North Pole, his allies behind him as he scouted ahead. That was, after all, the purpose of a Nutcracker.

Scout ahead: 2d6+1 6
gently caress!

quote:

Name: Nutcracker Corpsman Serial #2475JUDDG, aka The Judge.
Playbook: The Golem

Look: Terrifying dead eyes, wild hair and beard, finely painted wooden body scratched and scarred from battle.

Drive: Fulfill the Directive- 􏰍􏰎􏰏􏰐􏰌􏰏􏰏􏰇􏰄􏰑􏰂􏰇􏰒􏰌􏰓􏰂􏰁􏰄􏰌􏰔􏰂Successfully advance the agenda of those who control you

Composition: Solid
You are made of something solid (wood). Your body is incredibly difficult to harm, giving you 2 Armor.

Built For Battle
You were built to fight, and your body is a weapon with the Hand and Close tags. Choose two of the following:
Armored- your body has +1 Armor
Violent- your body has the Messy and Forceful tags

Eternal Sentinal
You never have to eat, drink or sleep. When a move tells you to mark rations,, ignore it. You cannot be healed by healing potions, bandages, poultices or herbs. You are healed normally by other methods. 1 use of a repair kit can be used to heal you by 4 HP.

Prime Directive
When someone you have a bond with gives you an order, you take +1 forward to fulfill that order. When you take an action that ignores, resists, or directly contradicts and order given to you by someone you have a bond with, take -1 to that action. When someone you have a bond with gives you an order you absolutely refuse to follow, at any time before the order has been fulfilled, you may erase one one your bonds with that player to ignore that order completely.

Unstoppable Force
When you try to remove or plow through all obstacles in your way, roll +STR. On a 10+, hold three. On a 7-9, hold two. On a 6-, hold 1, but when you spend it, the GM will add a complication. Spend 1-hold at tany time to do one of the following:
*Force your way past an obstacle in your path
*Distract, lift or force aside an obstacle long enough for an ally or two to get past it
*Cause great damage to an inanimate object or obstacle that is in your way

Gear
Your Load is 7+Str. You start with almost nothing.
Choose one:
Armored plates (1 armor, 1 weight)

Bonds
Jake Skelton is a holy man, and deserves respect.
I have no idea what to make of Edward Jones & Christmas Future, but I will figure them out.
Fritz is a liar, and I don't trust him.
Rudolph Pobbs doesn't seem to like me much, but he will respect me.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Would it be too late to give The Judge an order to scout ahead and thus give him the +1 required to pass his role? Or can we only roll to assist.

- - -

Edward Jones & The Spirit of Christmas Future
HP: 24/24 | LV: 1 | XP: | 0/7

The chill northern breeze did nothing to sooth Edward's grim mood. He could feel in his 'plasum this was not going to be any easy trip. He was at his most powerful in the course before Yuletide eve, but he had no choice, it would be far too late by then. The others would not survive the experience. In his case he would simply fade back to Spirit-Side and wait for his next chance to emerge. But for the rest of his companions death was fairly long term.

quote:

Name: Edward Jones
Spirit's name: The Spirit of Christmas Future
Playbook: The Geister
Look: Mysterious Eyes, Ghostly White Hair, Travelling Cloak and Frock, Lanky as a Corpse
Lv: 1
Exp: 0

HP: 24/24
Armour: 1
Damage: d6

STR 13 (+1)
DEX 9 (+0)
CON 15 (+1)
INT 16 (+2)
WIS 12 (+0)
CHA 8 (-1)

Alignement: Good - Banish or otherwise defeat evil otherworldly forces.

Embarked Spirit: Yuki-Onn - You are immune to extreme hot or cold conditions, and are also immune to fire or ice based damage.

Starting Moves:

Spiritual Passenger
You have dedicated your life to the weird and unusual art of harboring a second soul in your body, sharing your conscious with the lost soul of a forsaken ghost. It lends you its unnatural powers in exchange for sanctuary. When you have an extended rest of an hour, roll 1d4+1 and learn that many haunts, forgetting any previous Haunts you had before resting. In addition to these Haunts, you always learn the Iconic Haunt tied to your chosen Embarked Spirit(s)

Haunts (based on Spirit) [INT Selected]
Haunts are the unnatural effects that spirits can utilize while in the world of the living. Each Embarked Spirit has a certain stat tied to its Iconic Haunt. When you create your character, you choose one of these two stats and that will be the stat you cast all of your Haunts with. When you use a Haunt, roll +the STAT you chose for your Embarked Spirit. On a 10+, the Haunt is casted without complication as your passenger cooperates. On a 7-9, choose 2:
- Get a -1 ongoing to all haunt rolls till you rest.
- Draw the feverous hatred of normal folk or unwanted attention of unwelcome guests.
- You must make a Ghostly Tantrum roll.

Gray Magic (INT)
When you cast a spell to reshape the world to your advantage, say what you intend to do and roll +INT. On a hit, your spell works. On a 10+, choose one option from below. On a 7-9, choose two.
- The casting drains you. Take -1 INT ongoing until you get a few minutes to clear your head.
- Your spell won't last long - you'll need to hurry to take advantage of it.
- The magic leaves obvious traces of your involvement
- You draw unwanted attention to yourself

On a Miss, the magic is beyond your control: whatever happens, you will regret casting the spell.

Ghostly Tantrum
This move cannot be used optionally and can only be used when a move or a spell calls for it. This move represents you trying to calm your embarked spirit down after it becomes violently enraged. Roll 2d6. On a 10+, all is good as you calm the ghost. On a 7-9, choose 1. On a 6 or less, both occur:
- Your ghost struggles for control and the GM decides what you do next.
- Your spirit ravages your memories, preventing you from using Hants or making any Spout Lore roles till you have an extended rest of an hour or so.

Gear: [load 8+STR]
- Chainmail (1 armor, worn, 1 weight)
- Long Sword (close, +1 damage, 2 weight)
- Bandages (slow, 3 uses, 0 weight) and Antitoxin (1 use, 0 Weight)
- Pendant of stray souls (learn 1 extra Haunt after an extended rest, 0 Weight)
- Effigy of spiritual comfort (+1 to all Ghostly Tantrum rolls, 0 Weight)

Haunts

- (Always, Iconic Haunt) A Chilled Fog
As the ghostly outline of a snow-colored maiden embraces you, your form loosens into a frigid mist that can freely dissipate and flow through the air, leaving a thin sheen of frost on anything you move past. You can instantly travel anywhere in the near distance that you can see, ignoring any physical obstacles.

Bonds

Am I the only one who likes The Judge? - Maybe it's just because I'm really a specter in the visage of the grim reaper at heart, but he seems like an all right guy. Then again my job is to haunt people into liking a holiday once every year. So maybe I've got screwed up priorities.

I'm glad that Jake Skelton gets on with my spirit. - Maybe it's because we're in the same line of work? I've holidayed in his town a few times. I fit right in. I'm making plans to return at some stage. Maybe around the Hallows Festival?

Fritz gets upset when I "Talk to myself" - The guy has seen some interesting things. Maybe he's got a sense of what I really am, maybe he's just worried I'm insane. Ether way, I enjoy his expression to much to stop. It's the little things that make life worth living. Like Yuletide.

Rudolph Pobbs Is an unknown quantity - Never met him before. I can tell he's a courier. Maybe we need to sign him up to get the bird after our work is done. We usually employ children, but those things are heavy.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
Rudolph Pobbs
HP: 21/21; Lvl 1; XP: 0/7; Load 3/6

Above the small group, a white hawk circled on the chill wind, scanning the area. The Judge was ahead of the group, eyes open for threat; but Rudolph felt this was insufficient. At least his eyes weren't painted on. So instead he flew, tired and cold, but feeling useful.

Assisting The Judge: 2d6+1 9
Giving The Judge enough to tip him over to 7+, but exposing myself by doing so.

quote:

Name: Rudolph Pobbs, the Halfling
Playbook: Druid
Look: Wild Eyes, Red Nose, Matted Hair, Weathered Hides
Alignment: Neutral - Eliminate an unnatural menace
Race: Halfling - You sing the healing songs of spring and brook. When you make camp, you and your allies heal +1d6.
Lv: 1
Exp: 0

HP: 21
Armor: 1
Damage: d6

STR 12 (0)
DEX 9 (0)
CON 15 (+1)
INT 8 (-1)
WIS 16 (+2)
CHA 13 (+1)

Starting Moves
Born of the Soil
You learned your magic in a place whose spirits are strong and ancient and they’ve marked you as one of their own. No matter where you go, they live within you and allow you to take their shape. You are attuned to The Frozen North—when shapeshifting you may take the shape of any animal who might live in your Land. The antlers of a reindeer are your Tell; your tell remains no matter what shape you take.

By Nature Sustained
You don’t need to eat or drink. If a move tells you to mark off a ration just ignore it.

Spirit Tongue
The grunts, barks, chirps, and calls of the creatures of the wild are as language to you. You can understand any animal native to your land or akin to one whose essence you have studied.

Shapeshifter
When you call upon the spirits to change your shape, roll+Wis.
✴On a 10+ hold 3.
✴On a 7–9 hold 2.
✴On a miss hold 1 in addition to whatever the GM says.
You may take on the physical form of any species whose essence you have studied or who lives in your land: you and your possessions meld into a perfect copy of the species’ form. You have any innate abilities and weaknesses of the form: claws, wings, gills, breathing water instead of air. You still use your normal stats but some moves may be harder to trigger—a housecat will find it hard to do battle with an ogre. The GM will also tell you one or more moves associated with your new form. Spend 1 hold to make that move. Once you’re out of hold, you return to your natural form. At any time, you may spend all your hold and revert to your natural form.

Studied Essence
When you spend time in contemplation of an animal spirit, you may add its species to those you can assume using shapeshifting.

Gear: (Load: 3/6)
Hide amor (1 armor, 1 weight)
Spear of mistletoe (close, thrown, near, 1 weight)
Poultices & herbs (2 uses, 1 weight)
Token: A Clarion. A gift from Santa when Rudolph was young, it is a bell made of ice which never melts nor breaks. Rudolph wears it around his neck on a silk ribbon.

Bonds:
Jake Skelton has used my services before.
I trust Edward Jones, as a man of the Land.
The Judge is unnatural. I will keep an eye on it.
I enjoy Fritz's stories, though I know better than to believe them.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah we can assist as per the OOC thread. I'll be assisting Jake.
Roll: 2d6+1 = 13!!!

"Woah Woah there, Jake!" Fritz yells as he runs after Jake. "Not so fast. We my not have much time but we gotta pace our selves. You can't running off like a lunatic." He pauses and looks back at the rest of the party. "Y'see what I did there? Lunatic. Like the moon?... Alright alright whatever."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
HAUNTS

As a farmer, Edward knew how to ration. But as a spirit he didn't know how to be the most efficient at his job. After all, he needed few things himself. Eating was more of a daily pantomime. One that he enjoyed never the less. But for the purpose of this trip, Edward had to look after other people as well, in a arctic tundra. Of course the cold did not bother him, not in the slightest. He could happily walk about entirely naked. But again, it was the others he had to look out for.

So with his cover in place, the task fell to Edward to sort out food and drink for the journey. He fell to the task with gusto, and aplomb. Throwing in a few 'Oo Arr's here and there, just because it seemed right. By the time he was finished, there was enough rations for the trip, neatly stored in their own little crate. He nodded, pleased at his work.

"Oo, Arr!" Said Edward.

- - -

Quartermastering! Quartermaster +WIS (+0): 2d6+0 7
Just scraped it by the skin of my teeth. 6 and a 1. Still go us! We've not totally hosed up right at the off set! :D

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 29, 2015

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Our five adventurers make their way North at a brisk pace, over the fields of Northcrest, into the thin woods and hills, until they reach a massive plain stretching to the horizon after a few hours of walking. The snow here is thick but frozen, making it fairly easy to traverse, and the Pole Star shines brightly in the sky. The party marches on, the silence only broken by their occasional comments to each other, and by the howling of the wind whenever it picks up and kicks up the endless ice and snow around them.

Fritz and Jake blaze the trail, which is a simple if dull task, considering it mostly involves following the Pole Star right ahead of them. Meanwhile, The Judge and Rudolph scan the horizon for any threats, but it seems our five are the only living and/or mechanical and/or undead beings in a large radius.

Everyone, mark off 1 ration if you need to consume food. (So that would be Fritz, Edward Jones and Jake?)

However, as you keep monotonously moving onward, trudging further and further into the endless and vast snow, the sky turns cloudy. This is only a minor inconvenience at first, as Jake and Fritz lose track of the Pole Star multiple times as the clouds pass above, but the situation rapidly deteriorates. In a matter of minutes, the weather turns from chilly and windy to heavy snowfall, to eventually a powerful storm. The skies are completely blackened by rolling clouds, and the occasional rumbling of thunder followed by lightning in the distance warns you to seek shelter soon. But how does one find shelter on this endless traverse of snow and ice?

The powerful winds kick it up a notch by spewing mist everywhere, and soon you find yourselves surrounded in a thick fog and particles of propelled ice that cut into your faces. The rest of the party loses track of Rudolph, and you are now stranded in a full-blown blizzard. In the distance, you can just barely make out a soft yellow glow, as if there were a distant torch, though its bearer, if any, is hidden in the mist.

Rudolph, meanwhile, is stuck in the skies, thrown about by the powerful winds and disoriented. In the distance, you hear the howling of a beast, though you can't quite make out what sort of creature it is. Somewhere below you, you can make out a faint, yellow glow of fire. Perhaps a torch? You cannot make out any more than that. Rudolph, I'm giving you these moves for your white hawk form: Spot incoming danger, Swoop down on your prey and Stalk your prey. I'm giving you 1 hold right now, and you're still in your hawk form.

Everyone, what do you do?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Fritz
HP: 18/18 | LV: 1 | XP: | Load: 6/8

"Ooof!" Fritz exclaims while pulling the top of his shirt to cover his face from the sudden frost. "Did I ever tell yous guys about how much I hate the cold? Kinda ironic I suppose considering my life style choice, but there you have it." Before jumping to a long mostly false story about the terrible winters of his youth and how he came to his current predicament, Fritz notices the distant light.

"Hey... I've seen one of those before. Yeah yeah.. It's a..."

time to spout lore?
ROLL: 2d6+0 = 4
Welp. Mark XP I guess?

Fritz hasn't seen one before but attempts to make something up on the spot. Eventually he decides it's something called an "Ice Siren," and that someone else should go check it out.

This could be another roll I suppose...

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jake Skelton

The skeleton cackles, and the wind whistles through his eye and nose holes, "A thundersnow! Most deadly of storms, not just for its wind and hail, but also as the bringer of positive lightning, the kind that powers the lab of that old coot Franklin Siegelstein, who has his own methods for waking the dead back in Edelwood!"

His voice turns suggestive and singsong, "If we could plant a conductor on this Ice Siren we could give her a..." he grins widely, "positively heart-stopping scare!"

SL: 2d6 7

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
HAUNTS

Though Edward disagreed that it was a "Ice Siren", he kept his mouth shut. The blizzard was meaningless to him. He nether felt its cold, nor it's biting wind. Being a shell had it's advantages after all. Plus most spirits were unaffected by mortal weather. Excipte fire spirits, and only if you reminded them that they were affected by it.

Spirits were weird like that.

Even so, it would not do to let the mortals wander into danger completely heedlessly.

- - -

Spout Lore: 2d6+2 7

- - -

"More likely fellers, they're using the torch to look for weaknesses in the ice. We're on top of a glacial shelf right now. Lot's of horrible little holes hidden under the snow. You fall in, you're pretty much dead. But by that same token, some creatures use these naturally occuring traps to hunt for their prey. So they are possible to get in and out of. You just need the right tools to do so!" Edward called out to the rest of the group. "Now weather the being up ahead is one of these preditors, or just a local from a nearby village, is up for debate. But what we must be careful about is that we don't fall into any holes ourselves! Err, did anyone bring a torch?"

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Judge

"Boys, I don't want to hunker down here like Mice and wait for the weather to pass. I know that bad weather don't affect me like it does...civilians, but I think that if we stop here, we're not going no further, and I got orders. I say we push through and see what that light is up ahead. I'll take point."

The Judge didn't know what an Ice Siren was, but he figured it would look pretty funny trying to pick up all its teeth once both of its arms had been pulled off.

Unstoppable Force: 2d6+2 10, Hold:3

Will spend one hold to
*Force your way past an obstacle in your path
And the other two to
*Distract, lift or force aside an obstacle long enough for an ally or two to get past it (kind of abstract, if so let me know and I'll amend it) to shepherd my three pals through the weather, taking the brunt of the winds.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Rudolph Pobbs

Well, he'd lost the group. This was off to a great start.

Fighting the bitter wind, Rudolph let himself drop closer to the light, figuring if nothing else he could scout out the source. Maybe the others would have the same idea. He let out a sharp cry as he did so, hoping to orient them.

Everything Counts fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 2, 2016

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

"Hear that cry?!" Shouted Fritz. "That's a typical cry of an Ice Siren. It's quite deadly! Usually they sing a beautiful song to lure pray in. But uhh... I guess that's not the case here..." He trailed off.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Rudolph, you drop down towards the light, more and more, trying to circle above it as the wind picks up and slows down again. As you get closer, you almost hear the sound of... a buzzsaw? Suddenly, you spot a large roof below you, but you manage to slow your descent before smashing headfirst into it. You land on a gutter to get a better view, and you see that the light was, indeed, a torch. Below you, near the entrance of the building you're on, someone has firmly planted a lit torch, apparently as a signal. In front of you, you can make out the silhouettes of four figures marching towards you, the first and largest one with the distinct wooden movements of a nutcracker soldier. And right under you, appearing in the doorway and then taking position next to the torch, is a person wrapped up from head to toe in dire wolf pelts, wielding a shortbow, and nocking an arrow at the approaching group.

The Judge, you manage to catch most of the wind and move on forward, towards the light, with the three others somewhat sheltered behind you. As you tirelessly approach the light, you can see the contours of a large building appear in front of you, and the occasional high-pitched noise emanating from within reminds you that this is one of the sawmills dotted around the North Pole, used to gather the necessary wood for the toys and sleighs made in Santa's workshop. It's not the best shelter against this storm, but it's better than nothing. More concerning is that somebody seems to be operating it right now.

As you get closer, you can just barely make out the silhouette of a person standing in the doorway, behind the burning torch. This person seems to be... Pointing a bow at you?

And then, not all that far behind you, you hear the roaring of a beast. Closer than before, and a lot more distinct. Fritz, the North Pole doesn't have ice sirens. (Those live on the South Pole! Don't feel bad, it's a common misconception.)

Yetis, however, live on the North Pole.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Judge

"Nutcracker Corps!" roars the Judge, pointing at the cloaked figure with the bow. "Unless you want to eat that bow, you best not point it at me, boy," he adds conversationally.

Turning at the roar, he braced himself. He liked his chances against an arrow, whatever was behind them seemed more deserving of his particular attention.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 31, 2015

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jake Skelton

Jake pulls out from his trick or treat bag a collapsible bone tentpole that assembles with a flick of the wrist, and a stake that looks like a giant spider's biosteel fang, which he attaches to the tip. "Which one of you wants to stake their claim on the itch that can't be scratched?"

Stab the thing in the upper back so it'll get struck by lightning.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Fritz
HP: 18/18 | LV: 1 | XP: 1 | Load: 6/8

Somewhere in back of Fritz's mind he can help but think the thing he made up on the spot somewhere exists in the world. Not wanting to get lost in a moment Frisk takes a moment to take stock of what's really going on here. Something about the person holding the bow seems there may be more to them then what the group can determine so far.

Discern Realities: 2d6+1 = 7

What here is not what it appears to be?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
HAUNTS

A yeti, huh? What did he know about Yeti? Not a lot really. They weren't on his list of thing to haunt as they did not celibrate Yuletide. Instead he prepped himself as much as possible and waited until he could observe their approaching foe, to better decide how to deal with it.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Rudolph Pobbs

The white hawk, normal in every way except for the antlers growing from its tiny skull, drops from the gutter and dives to the ground behind the archer. As soon as he lands Rudolph drops the hawk's form, returning to his own body. He jabs his spear in the archer's back. "Best put it down before he crushes your skull like a walnut," he shouts over the howl of the wind.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The bowman doesn't react for a few seconds, seemingly considering his options. Then, after some tense seconds, he drops his bow in the snow before him and slowly lifts his hands in the air, but remains eerily silent.

As the rest of you approach to an arm's length, you get a clear view of his face. His mouth is covered by the top of his coat, but his dark gray skin and piercing red eyes are the clear testaments to his dark elf heritage.

Fritz, the situation suddenly becomes clearer to you. The unnatural speed by which the storm enveloped the land around you wasn't just a meteorological freak accident. It's fey. Tell me; how do dark elves perform their evil magicks, and how do you think you could dispel the blizzard?

While you ponder this, the dark elf's eyes widen in surprise. Behind our group, rapidly approaching the mill, is the silhouette of a very angry and very dangerous yeti. Its ape-like features are almost hidden by its thick, white fur, but its eyes and foaming mouth the clear signs of its rage and bloodlust. In its right hand, it's holding a huge stalactite by the pointy end, and swinging it around like a particularly frosty club. It is approximately twenty meters from you, but it'll be on top of you all within seconds. You have a split second to act!

And behind Rudolph, the buzzing noises tone down and you hear shouts and commands coming from inside the mill.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jake Skelton

"Well don't just stand there, make us all some cocoa! We will deal with this pest. Judge! deliver the sasquatch its backscratcher!" The skeleton hands the lightning rod he made before to the wooden soldier, then gives him a tap, incanting, "Ghoulies and ghosties and things that go bump in the night."

Cast a Spell (Invisibility): 2d6+2 9
draw unwelcome attention or put yourself in a spot.

PS my other prepared spell is Cause Fear obviously.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Fritz

Fritz remembered some rumors he had heard about dark elves. Supposedly they would harvest the evil (ie naughtiness) from children that were on Santa's naughty list. Usually the condensed evil is put into a crystal and channeled through an alter some place. If they could find that they could probably stop the storm. In the meantime though there was not much Fritz could do with what he has available to him. He could try a counter spell with the handful of quartz he keeps in his bag of tricks, but he's to honest with himself that he has enough good in him to counter the spell even in a small area. Plus magic was never really his specialty. He could go on and on about how poorly he did the magic classes in school because of the education system could never help his special needs, but there were more pressing matters at hand. Namely that Yeti.

"Make mine a Peppermint tea! I don't much care for cocoa!" Fritz yelled to the dark elf in response to Jake. He then quickly looked around to find someplace he could duck behind to hide and leap on at an appropriate time.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Fritz: you could leap behind any of your pals without risk, or make a dash to enter the mill by defying danger with DEX. By the way, that counts for everyone trying to get out of the way.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
HAUNTS

Spirit watched the Yeti come hurtling out of the blizzard. Ohh, he's a big one! With a club too! How precious! Edward could feel his spirit moving. It looked upon this threat coldly. The snow seemed to still for a second. The flakes stopping dead around him as though encountering a body larger than his own. In the flickering torch light, his shadow did not match his shape.

"Begone creature." He whispered, his voice dripping with icicles. His shadow lashed out, flickering over the landscape until it reached the charging Yeti. There was a moment where the Yeti's mind encountered the horror of Yuletide Yet To Come. To the Yeti, Edward would appear in his natural form, a universal terror that was understood across all peoples of the world. It would not approach him, not for any power in the world. He strode out to meet the creature. Expecting his presence to be enough to stop the beast in it's tracks, or at least to make it change it's course.

- - -
Haunt - Visions of the Dammed: 2d6+2 11
Whelp, looks like I'm safe from the Yeti. Can't say the same about the rest of you.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Rudolph Pobbs
HP: 21/21; Lvl 1; XP: 1/7; Load 3/6

Defy Danger, Strongly: 2d6+0 4

Rudolph grabs the back of the dark elf's coat and tries to turn him around. But the halfling can't get leverage on the elf, and instead looks like a sullen child tugging on an unaware parent's sleeve. "C'mon, let's go," he says trying to keep a whine from his voice. He hazards a look back over his shoulder.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Judge

Damage 1d8 | Armour 4 | HP 25/25 XP 2

"Stay back, I got this!" shouts the Judge as he begins to fade from view, clutching the makeshift lightning rod. He had been planning on tearing the yeti apart with his hands, but he had his orders, so he might as well give the holy man's plan a try. He lumbered forward, invisible to the naked eye and dodged around the yeti, then tried to drive the spear into its back, suddenly appearing in a puff of smoke and flutter of bats as the spell broke.

Hack and Slash (I guess?): 2d6+2 5, +1 from being ordered to do it, which is still 6. gently caress!

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Fritz

Seeing that the yeti situation is probably under control Fritz decides it's best to try to dart inside and make a ruckus.

DD+Dex: 2d6+2 = 11

Fritz makes a mad dash inside and hides himself behind some strange machinery.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The Judge appears beside the yeti just as he is about to ram the spear into the beast's side, and as the spell breaks, the yeti manages to dodge the makeshift polearm in the nick of time. It crouches under the rod, and the Judge overreaches, and the yeti responds by a powerful upward strike with all of its might. The icicle shatters from the impact on the Judge's face, and he is knocked over. Take d8+5 damage!

The yeti turns its back to the stunned nutcracker and charges towards the others. Sensing something absolutely wrong in Edward, it leaps towards Jake, ready to give him a downward slash with its massive claws!

Fritz spurts into the mill, and comes eye to eye with three surprised dark elves who were about about to exit. Two of them are also clad in direwolf pelt, with shortbows and daggers, but the third one is a woman in a black, fur-trimmed dress. They barely have time to react before he dashes between the two archers, and as one of them attempts to tackle Fritz, he slides under a piece of machinery and slips away. He is currently hiding under a loud, functioning treadmill, but can hear the sloshing of water somewhere below him. It seems this mill is a watermill powered by a river under the ice.

The mill is filled with logs and timber, and in the middle of the room is a slide with a massive buzzsaw, leading into the downstream river. Fritz can hear yelling in the mill, and the two archers running about, presumably looking for him.

Outside again, as everyone's attention is on the yeti, the dark elf reaches behind him in one rapid movement, grabs a hold of rudolph's arm, and spins behind his back. Rudolph feels a blade between his ribs as the elf rattles out in a gruff, dry voice: "I'm more of a bloody mary guy, myself!" Rudolph takes d6 damage, and is being held by the elf as a human (or, as the case may be, halfling) shield!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Judge

Damage 1d8 | Armour 4 | HP 19/25 XP 2

yeti damage: 1d8+5 10

"Bastard!" creaks the Judge, his voice sounding less like a real person and more like a clever toy's for a moment as the yeti's strike fractured the magics that kept him together. Grunting with anger, he collected himself and charge again while the yeti's back was turned. Best get to it before it hit the holy man.

Hack and Slash: 2d6+3 11, Damage: 1d8 3.

Does it get struck by lightning after all? Also, do my Messy and Forceful tags apply?

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Rudolph Pobbs
HP: 16/21; Lvl 1; XP: 1/7; Load 3/6

Damnable dark elf damage: 1d6 6

The blade cuts deep and Rudolph lets out a bellow of pain and rage. Between the knife wound and his arm being pinned up behind him, there was no way his little body had the strength to get away. Luckily, that wasn't really a problem... his clothes and tools sank into the sudden bed of white fur that sprang from Rudolph's skin, and his body ballooned, rapidly gaining bulk and muscle. Within seconds, Rudolph was gone, and the dark elf was grasping an angry polar bear. The bear reared up, considered the elf, then put its face up to his and roared.

Major Ursa: 2d6+2 7

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Fritz

"Ok... now what?" Fritz thinks to himself now that he's inside. He could go and look for the source of the storm, but understands that it's probably better to do that with the rest of the group. He could have help Rudolph, but he seemed to get things sorted out. He realizes his best course of action is probably to keep the attention dark elves looking for him or at least prevent them from hurting his buds while they're busy with the yeti. Fortunately he always keeps some minor explosives in his bag of tricks. He takes out a couple of bottle rockets, lights them, and carefully slides them facing perpendicular on the tread mill above him hoping not to be noticed. He doesn't expect to hit his pursuers. Rather he just wants to keep them on their toes.

ROLL:
Sleight of Hand: 2d6+2 = 10

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
HAUNTS

Where had the bear come from? Agh, no time for that. The yeti and the nutcracker continued to try and murder each other. but Edward knew that if he approached the yeti it may just works its way around. No, they needed to keep it where it was.

Well if Jake was going to lock up it's fingers, he'd just have to lock up it's legs! It was time to apply the imprecise art of Spirit Magic. All spirits could do it, make a little change here and there to suit their needs. But most spirits did it within Spirit Side. Doing it in the Flesh Lands was a heck of a lot harder! He called to the ice and snow around the creatures feet and commanded it to grab on as tight as it could and not let go!

- - -

Grey Magic - lock down a Yeti: 2d6+2 4
+1 XP.

- - -

And then...

All hell broke lose.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 8, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jake Skelton

The skeleton stands his ground and interlocks his fingers with the yeti's, holding his attackers claws up and away. He grins, "I think I'll call you Snowy Claws." It's funny to him because he had once had mistaken his friend Nick's pseudonym as Sandy Claws.

dd con: 2d6+1 8

Heh, basically doing the same pose as the picture.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The dark elf weakens his grip as Rudolph balloons into a mighty bear in front of his very eyes, letting go of the fur in disbelief when he is almost lifted off the ground. He slowly backs up from the beast, and when Rudolph roars, he drops his dagger, turns and runs for it. He sprints into the storm, disappearing from sight before long.

Rudolph, I'm giving you the following moves in your polar bear form: unleash a terrifying roar, cause an open, bleeding wound and track the scent of blood.

Inside, Fritz successfully lights some bottle rockets, which jet forth with a loud sizzling noise, creating a chaotic and deafening noise as they crash into machinery, topple objects and materials and fizzle out on the floor. The dark elves are noticeably startled, and Fritz can hear a woman's voice shouting to drag him out from wherever he is hiding and whip him until he bleeds. The archers stay wary of the treadmills, and for a second, Fritz might have believed they were simply too shaken to look for him. That is when he realizes she wasn't giving the order to the other dark elves.

The wooden planks of the floor start creaking as something pushes from underneath, and then a loud splintering noise emanates behind him. Looking over his shoulder, somewhat awkwardly due to his small hiding space, Fritz can see a black, thorned vine part the planks from the floor and grope around the room. What the hell?

Outside again, the yeti strikes at Jake, but encounters resistance that seems out of proportion for his bony arms. Nevertheless, not even a supernatural spirit can simply block the brute force of such a beast, and Jake is forced to his knees by the strike. The yeti raises its terrible claws again, and the next strike looks like it will go straight for the throat, but the yeti is suddenly slammed sideways by the Judge's sneak attack. The rod is run all the way through the beast, sticking out of it from both its back and its chest, as it staggers to the ground. Jake and the snow around him are soaked in blood splatters as Edward goes for the followup spell:

And then, nothing. The ice and snow around the yeti do not budge, and Edward gradually increases the power of his spell, until he suddenly flash freezes... Everything?

The air temperature itself drops to absolute zero.

Everything is still.

Not even the snowflakes move.

The universe holds its breath.

It happened for a fraction of a second. A spell at such a massive scale cannot be sustained for longer than that. The spirit of Christmas future, realizing its mistake, almost immediately contains the spell in one pinpoint location.

And time resumes.

The yeti explodes like a glass sculpture that somebody hit with a maul, and frozen shards of blood and gibs riddle the side of the mill, the dunes of snow, the party members standing next to him.

Jake and the Judge, you are both struck by the resulting shrapnel and close enough to the epicenter of the spell to be chilled to the bone/cog. Take d6 damage and -1 ongoing until you can heat yourselves up and defrost your limbs.

The yeti, obviously, is no more.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jake Skelton

Jake only cackles, shedding snowflakes from his exposed jaw, then he whips his scythe seemingly at air, past where the frozen yeti used to stand, and says, "Not so fast, my soon to be geised geist. I could use you back in Edelwood. Find it and go there, or the Harvester will find you," The ghost flickers into view glowing white where it was marked by the scythe, and rather than rising into yeti heaven or sinking into yeti hell, depending on how good or naughty this particular yeti was, is trapped instead, and conscripted into becoming another one of the performers of the neverending harvest celebrations in Jake's town.

dmg: 1d6-1 4

Spoopy Guidance: When you petition your deity according to the precept of your religion, you are granted some useful knowledge or boon related to your deity’s domain. The GM will tell you what.

19/23 hp; 1/8 xp

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Judge

Damage 1d8 | Armour 4 | HP 17/25 XP 2

Damage: 1d6 6 you got to be kidding me

"poo poo, boy!" shouted the Judge, brushing shards of frozen yeti out of his wooden hide. "You tryin' to take me out of the fight before the Krampus can?" He tilted his head with a creak, then took in the polar bear sitting at the door. He whistled, an eerie sound when one had no lips.

"Well Padre," he said to Jake, "maybe we should get in there. If you feel up to pulling your trick again, I reckon I could try and put their leader down in the ruckus. Actually, maybe I'll make a new door while I'm at it."

Tentative plan: turn the Judge invisible again when we go in, he goes after whoever's slinging spells about? Also, I can smash through the wall like the Kool-Aid man, just need some orders :haw:

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 9, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jake Skelton

"Calling on Samhain's power in this state is likely to have dire consequences... Let's do it!"

He chatters out his incantation, starting with a quiet, "Put out the light..."

Jake knocks on wood, which turns invisible. Then his face splits into that smile, and he takes his tapping finger and thrusts it in the direction of the enemy. His incantation finishes, rising in volume, "And then, put out the light!"

Cast a Spell (Invisibility): 2d6+1 8
MORE DANGER

You draw unwelcome attention or put yourself in a spot. The GM will tell you how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Fritz

Fritz's eyes widen as he turns to face the mess of black tendrils coming from the floor. He's not sure what it is but knows for certain that it's terrible and likely going to try to kill him. Seeing as it bizarre bottle rocket plan seemed to work he decides to roll a cherry bomb towards the mess of vines. He slips it out of his bag of tricks, lights, and tosses it hopefully silently and quickly in the vines direction.

ROLL:
Defy Danger DEX? OR Volley! - 2d6+2 = 9

Chosen - You have to take what you can get: -1d6 damage

DAMAGE - Cherry Bomb - 1d10 = 3 - 1d6 = 2 = 1

:(

D_W fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 15, 2016

• Locked thread