Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matoi Ryuko

Like, some days I will be walking everywhere with a really bad limp because of muscle sorness and what not, but the soreness never effects my running stride. It's like I broke my ability to walk, but I can still jog normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain

this is why i like cycling.. i used to get weird sore nips when running and it HURT so much on my calves somedays.

i seem to feel okay from biking. my arms are sometimes achey after mountain biking.

hemale in pain

maybe im not cycling enough though

Ace of Baes

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Like, some days I will be walking everywhere with a really bad limp because of muscle sorness and what not, but the soreness never effects my running stride. It's like I broke my ability to walk, but I can still jog normally.

Do you use a foam roller? I found that plus getting a lot of sleep helps.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Matoi Ryuko

Ace of Baes posted:

Do you use a foam roller? I found that plus getting a lot of sleep helps.

The only time I try and use a foam roller is if squeezing my calves makes them cramp up too easily, it only really happens like once in a hundred days, but I've never tried rolling my feet before.

Matoi Ryuko

hemale in pain posted:

this is why i like cycling.. i used to get weird sore nips when running and it HURT so much on my calves somedays.

i seem to feel okay from biking. my arms are sometimes achey after mountain biking.

Sore nips from running? Put this over yer nips to prevent that:

Piso Mojado

Matoi Ryuko posted:

The only time I try and use a foam roller is if squeezing my calves makes them cramp up too easily, it only really happens like once in a hundred days, but I've never tried rolling my feet before.

do the inside and outside of your quads to relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve groups that run from your glutes to your feet. I used to get bad next day limping when running, this solved it.

Piso Mojado

and do it after every run, not the next day. it will help immensly, I promise.

Ace of Baes
Foam roller is great on feet, a trick I learned from a doctor who was a big runner is to take a cold beer or soda can and roll it on sides and bottom of your feet, works like a charm for inflamation.

----------------

Piso Mojado

Ace of Baes posted:

Foam roller is great on feet, a trick I learned from a doctor who was a big runner is to take a cold beer or soda can and roll it on sides and bottom of your feet, works like a charm for inflamation.

golf balls work well for this too.

Piso Mojado

if it's just tightness/limping then the roller should fix it or if your feet are actually cramping, then it's probably a shoe issue. but if it's actual pain in your feet then go to a doctor, for sure. outside of cramps, any foot pain should be looked at by a professional.

eonwe

i started cycling

im tired of being out of shape

well

thats my story

Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

if it's just tightness/limping then the roller should fix it or if your feet are actually cramping, then it's probably a shoe issue. but if it's actual pain in your feet then go to a doctor, for sure. outside of cramps, any foot pain should be looked at by a professional.

It feels like I stubbed my foot!

Piso Mojado

Matoi Ryuko posted:

It feels like I stubbed my foot!

sounds like a nerve issue, doubly so if you get a 'wooden foot' feeling. deep rolling over the sciatic nerves should alleviate this.

Piso Mojado

hemale in pain posted:

maybe im not cycling enough though

i dont know much about mountain biking but arm pain is generally a bike fit issue for normal cycling. are your hands numbing at all? That is a kind of pulsy on your ulnar nerve (cycling pulsy if you want to look it up) and can cause nerve dmg over time. may just need a new, higher angle stem on your bike that will raise the bars. most bike shops will just swap out your stems (no charge) in that case.

Piso Mojado

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Cheap (for a bike) being around the £350 or lower mark? Idk what I'm looking for.

I'm going to be using it to travel from the outskirts into major city centers in Europe, most of which have a pretty decent cycling infrastructure, so I imagine I won't be needing a vastly complicated suspension setup or knobbly tyres.

My current bike is a Barracuda Zombie mountain bike.. thing. It's okay but no good for road use even with slick tyres on it. Looks like this:

check out the Kona Dew (~350 pounds). its a hybrid and perfect for any road conditions. I had one as my first bike when i started getting into cycling and it was a great, versatile bike. Can easily be equipped with racks and panniers and comes with decent hardware for general riding out of the box.

http://www.konaworld.com/dew.cfm

if you are looking for something with drop handlebars or a little more 'road-like' then I recommend the Giant Defy 3. its a starter bike for road cycling, but still slightly above your price point. You can always find used ones out there tho.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/2015-editors-choice/editors-choice-giant-defy-3

For what you want to do, the best possible bike you could get imo is the Surly CrossCheck. Its a steel frame which makes it heavier, but waaaay more comfortable to ride. its about 650 pounds. it has braze ons EVERYWHERE and despite its weight it can haul rear end. It and its sister touring model the 'Long Haul Trucker' are two of the best bikes on the market. I know thats way over your price point, but i like to rep this bike as much as possible since it will last you a life time.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check/bike_specssurl

Piso Mojado fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 30, 2015

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

I've got a triathlete / trainee doctor / sports science graduate who swears by the foam roller/ personal torture device, so I'm thinking of picking one up soon.

Thanks for all the bike help, I'm much closer to finding the right bike now so I'll update with whatever I come up with before I throw any money at it!

Piso Mojado

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I've got a triathlete / trainee doctor / sports science graduate who swears by the foam roller/ personal torture device, so I'm thinking of picking one up soon.

Thanks for all the bike help, I'm much closer to finding the right bike now so I'll update with whatever I come up with before I throw any money at it!

yeah the foam roller was a godsend for me for cycling and soccer. i couldnt imagine life without it.

pm or snap me if you have any specific questions about a bike. Im always glad to help my friend. When i buy a VW bus this spring, ill be asking you lots of questions haha!

GoodbyeTurtles

Piso Mojado posted:

yeah the foam roller was a godsend for me for cycling and soccer. i couldnt imagine life without it.

pm or snap me if you have any specific questions about a bike. Im always glad to help my friend. When i buy a VW bus this spring, ill be asking you lots of questions haha!

Will do. My advice is don't buy a VW bus unless its old as poo poo then it'd kinda cool but too much money!!

I.N.R.I

Piso Mojado posted:

i dont know much about mountain biking but arm pain is generally a bike fit issue for normal cycling. are your hands numbing at all? That is a kind of pulsy on your ulnar nerve (cycling pulsy if you want to look it up) and can cause nerve dmg over time. may just need a new, higher angle stem on your bike that will raise the bars. most bike shops will just swap out your stems (no charge) in that case.

i doubt theres any way you can sit on a mountain bike that would damage your arms .. its probably more like he just doesnt ride often and the muscles arent being used. my triceps were sore for about a week when i came back from a broken hip a couple of years ago

Ace of Baes

I.N.R.I posted:

i doubt theres any way you can sit on a mountain bike that would damage your arms .. its probably more like he just doesnt ride often and the muscles arent being used. my triceps were sore for about a week when i came back from a broken hip a couple of years ago

Had a patient a couple years ago who had wrist pain and numbness from cycling a couple hundred miles a week, he was on a road bike, but i imagine same thing could happen on a mountain bike.

----------------

GoodbyeTurtles

Last time I rode my mountain bike it was on a rocky gravel path and my wrists were vibrated to heck and it was like being punched in the gooch with the seat.

hemale in pain

Ace of Baes posted:

Had a patient a couple years ago who had wrist pain and numbness from cycling a couple hundred miles a week, he was on a road bike, but i imagine same thing could happen on a mountain bike.

i should probably of explained more. i have a hardtail with little suspension travel so i get shaken around like crazy on rock gardens. staying loose only works so much :) there's alos some really nasty rooty sections which require tons of manuals and i just dont go trail riding enough to get used to it!

it's not ache from just riding my bike on bridleways so i think i fit well enough.

hemale in pain

also to anyone in the uk who likes biking bike park wales freaking rocks!!! :black101: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6veiihcXktI&t=0m20s (not my video)

Piso Mojado

hemale in pain posted:

i should probably of explained more. i have a hardtail with little suspension travel so i get shaken around like crazy on rock gardens. staying loose only works so much :) there's alos some really nasty rooty sections which require tons of manuals and i just dont go trail riding enough to get used to it!

it's not ache from just riding my bike on bridleways so i think i fit well enough.

this sounds awful. just bike on roads/trails like god intended.

I.N.R.I

Ace of Baes posted:

theres a lot more weight on your arms when you ride with a road position. not that anyone should be getting arm injuries either way

Matoi Ryuko

Just wrap rubber bands around your shoulders until your arms shrivel to the desired weight.

hemale in pain

Piso Mojado posted:

this sounds awful. just bike on roads/trails like god intended.

mountain biking is really good in fact!!!

Matoi Ryuko

hemale in pain posted:

mountain biking is really good in fact!!!

Yeah, this is true!

Looke

last time I went mountain biking I had a moment where my mind went blank and forgot which handlebar controlled the back breaks and as a result pulled the front breaks going down a hill and hosed over the front of my bike

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I look forward to having a lot more spotters at the gym on Saturday :getin:

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

GoodbyeTurtles

I hope the climbing gym after new year's isn't like the gym gym after new year's day.

hemale in pain

Chill la Chill posted:

I look forward to having a lot more spotters at the gym on Saturday :getin:

I'm not going this week. It's far faaar too dangerous riding the roads to the gym on holiday season and the gym is so drat packed it's not fun.

i dunno why but all the awful drivers come out of nowhere during the holidays and are in this insane panic to get to the shops.

Pizzatime

I'm thin but also muscular but live super unhealthy what do I do, just ignore sports and not ask any questions?

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I like pizza too, pizza man, but I lay off it from time to time. in my experience doing heavy cardio stuff like boxing regularly makes you feel gross and bad when you start eating/living bad so it kinda forces you to stay on track

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I hope the climbing gym after new year's isn't like the gym gym after new year's day.

if nothing else, the boxing corner is my safe space where i can be sure some butt who's showing off gives up the space when I start wrapping. I will at least do that if the lifting areas are too crowded like he male fears.

GoodbyeTurtles

Pizzatime posted:

I'm thin but also muscular but live super unhealthy what do I do, just ignore sports and not ask any questions?

I generally eat garbage and just excercise as damage limitation

Pizzatime

I've been doing things you could probably consider working out like excavating a trench and building a wall into it every two to three days for a couple weeks or repacking dozens of stillages a day for months. am I wrong in assuming that's a substitute for going to a fitness center and doing what's like generally considered working out?

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

no that's better IMO. I've seen people who could lift heavy with strict form but give them a rock or log to carry or do things a construction worker would do and they fail early on.

hemale in pain

do whatever if it's fun and makes you fit + healthy. no one actually cares how much you're lifting or whatever :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain

really people seem to like twinks anyway more than muscly dudes :shrug:

• Locked thread