Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pizzatime

just trying to avoid actually destroying my back by lifting rocks instead of doing the perfect kind of work-out you could do with appropriate machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko

Pizzatime posted:

I'm thin but also muscular but live super unhealthy what do I do, just ignore sports and not ask any questions?

What do you want exactly? What level of fitness would you like to achieve?

Pizzatime

Matoi Ryuko posted:

What do you want exactly? What level of fitness would you like to achieve?

one that has me die the latest

Matoi Ryuko

Pizzatime posted:

You're talking about a lifelong obsession. You'll have to work each and every day at it, for the rest of your life.

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

As a vehicle tech I lift lots of heavy poo poo all the time, so that probably helps a bit

hemale in pain

Pizzatime posted:

gonna be something really lame like quick walking on a treadmill with the safety rope attached

GoodbyeTurtles

skeleton bob

I.N.R.I

Pizzatime posted:

theres no secrets or shortcuts. eat well, stretch daily, and do cardiovascular exercise

I.N.R.I
i will add that stretching is really important, those old guys you see walking around at 200 yards per hour with zimmer frames and stuff are generally people who lived sedentary lives, you can at least avoid ending up like that with regular stretching

Matoi Ryuko

I.N.R.I posted:

i will add that stretching is really important, those old guys you see walking around at 200 yards per hour with zimmer frames and stuff are generally people who lived sedentary lives, you can at least avoid ending up like that with regular stretching

I'm really bad at keeping a stretching routine going. I can't figure it out.

I.N.R.I

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I'm really bad at keeping a stretching routine going. I can't figure it out.

you can avoid a lot of common acute injuries with stretching, and its good for posture. its easy to feel like its not doing anything because you dont get anything measurable from it in the short term but you should stick to it because it really will help in the long term

GoodbyeTurtles

I need to get into the routine of stretching before climbing because to warm up I generally just climb easy stuff as soon as I get to the gym.

hemale in pain

my boyfriend stretches me all the time!!!!! (gay joke)

GoodbyeTurtles

hemale in pain posted:

my boyfriend stretches me all the time!!!!! (gay joke)

are you superfriends?

I.N.R.I

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I need to get into the routine of stretching before climbing because to warm up I generally just climb easy stuff as soon as I get to the gym.

i think climbing alone is good enough. its a great way to exercise in general. stretching is most important for sports with limited motion like running and cycling, and especially for people who dont do anything at all.

Ace of Baes

I.N.R.I posted:

i think climbing alone is good enough. its a great way to exercise in general. stretching is most important for sports with limited motion like running and cycling, and especially for people who dont do anything at all.

what do you think about the studies that came out a couple years ago saying stretching before running increases your chances of injury?
This is a mediocre article but it touches on it
http://www.runnersworld.com/start-running/should-i-stretch-before-or-after-my-runs

I stopped stretching before running and only stretch after long runs (5+ miles) and haven't any injuries save for a couple minor ones in about 5 years, Im also super strict about my form and use my first mile or two as a slow warm up though

GoodbyeTurtles

I suck at pacing myself until I'm warmed up when I run.

I.N.R.I

Ace of Baes posted:

what do you think about the studies that came out a couple years ago saying stretching before running increases your chances of injury?
http://www.runnersworld.com/start-running/should-i-stretch-before-or-after-my-runs

I stopped stretching before running and only stretch after long runs (5+ miles) and haven't any injuries save for a couple minor ones in about 5 years, Im also super strict about my form and use my first mile or two as a slow warm up though

i dont know if thats true or not, im neither science savvy or super into running. i stretched last year when i was running half marathons and as a competitive cyclist i stretch before i warm up or i feel bad on the bike but theres also really very little chance of getting a stress injury from riding a bike. i suppose people should make their own minds up on that one, but whether people choose to stretch right before they run or not, they shouldnt be dissuaded from stretching at all

Ace of Baes

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I had a lot of trouble with it when i first got into running, if you have to force yourself to jog or airborne shuffle if you know what that is, I found using runkeeper or a garmin makes it a lot easier

Ace of Baes
if you guys like books born to run and eat and run are really good, you might like eat and run inri because iirc youre vegetarian? its about a world class ultramarathoner whos also vegan and has vegan/vegitarian recipes in it

Matoi Ryuko

Ace of Baes posted:

I use stretching as a tool whenever my legs feel tight or I want to be good and warmed up for a run. It's very important though for me to begin a stretching routine if I'm actually ever going to become a kickboxer.

Ace of Baes posted:

if you guys like books born to run and eat and run are really good, you might like eat and run inri because iirc youre vegetarian? its about a world class ultramarathoner whos also vegan and has vegan/vegitarian recipes in it

I can understand why an ultramarathoner would be vegetarian, lettuce fills me up like nothing else, and there have been lots of days where I've eaten vegetarian and not even realized it.

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Do you like music? I find the more powerful the song the easier it is for me to push myself at the beginning of my run, which sort of lends itself to me settling into my pace quicker and quicker.

When I first began running each day I always listened to this song to start the day because it's really intense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsMKOx6fumc

GoodbyeTurtles

I listen to a little DnB which is great for sprints & usually pumps me up to run at my racing pace, but it's easy to get a little carried away on a long run.

I've been told by my triathlete buddy that my form is OK, but I need to work on pacing myself better and trying not to run so close to the limit of my fitness.

hemale in pain

almost died on the road today... not sure if gym is worth it when people do their best to murder me on the way home

Ace of Baes

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I listen to a little DnB which is great for sprints & usually pumps me up to run at my racing pace, but it's easy to get a little carried away on a long run.

I've been told by my triathlete buddy that my form is OK, but I need to work on pacing myself better and trying not to run so close to the limit of my fitness.

Ive never used to but ive heard using a hrm is really helpful for that

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I like to mix it up...keep the body guessing.

GoodbyeTurtles

Ace of Baes posted:

Ive never used to but ive heard using a hrm is really helpful for that

I picked up a hrm and I've found that I can keep running at a reasonably good pace at a steady 175~bpm but if I increase speed even slightly I'll hit 190bpm and have to take it easy for like 2-3 mins after that. It's useful as a guide but I can easily tell when I'm overdoing it without it.

After some crazy sprints I managed to hit 199bpm and my heart didn't even explode.

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I picked up a hrm and I've found that I can keep running at a reasonably good pace at a steady 175~bpm but if I increase speed even slightly I'll hit 190bpm and have to take it easy for like 2-3 mins after that. It's useful as a guide but I can easily tell when I'm overdoing it without it.

After some crazy sprints I managed to hit 199bpm and my heart didn't even explode.

Hm. I definitely like hit the track really hard, even on days I'm sore or limping I'm always trying to press the pace. A hrm is just more equipment to me, making everything slightly more difficult because of it. I've probably spent more time running without music than with, just because I wan't to minimize everything about my run.

GoodbyeTurtles

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Hm. I definitely like hit the track really hard, even on days I'm sore or limping I'm always trying to press the pace. A hrm is just more equipment to me, making everything slightly more difficult because of it. I've probably spent more time running without music than with, just because I wan't to minimize everything about my run.

Yeah, I mean it's interesting to have a readout of your HR but I've only used it about 4 times due to the hassle of having to put it on (there's a chest strap thing that you have to moisten first) and, like I already said, you can just tell when you're pushing too hard or you're at the right kinda pace without it.

Adiabatic

What have you assholes done now?

Adiabatic posted:

this is a true story i got a bench press and a barbell for christmas and used it for the first time last night and pulled a muscle in my lower back on my 5th deadlift rep i feel pretty silly

backchat: still angry going to the doc today

Piso Mojado

just finished my first ride of 2016! :woop:

25 miler in this frigid 30 degree weather. got some new winter gear recently and it was it's first test on the road.

my resolution this year is to cycle 5k miles so I'm 0.5% there!

hemale in pain

me and my bf plan to do some cycling around the chilterns this weekend :) i super need some tyres though because my current ones are ripped to shreds and I need new brake pads for the wet weather.

we were thinking about doing a sportive but it costs like £25-30 just to enter for one person and it's not really worth it

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

i think im gonna start getting really deep into yoga, any yobpinions on the 'ga?

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
starting couch to 5k and heavy lifting, 3 days a week for each. i'm hoping to drop 30 pounds to a little over 200

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
GoodbyeTurtles

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i think im gonna start getting really deep into yoga, any yobpinions on the 'ga?

It's good to be flexible, do the thing

mister magpie posted:

starting couch to 5k and heavy lifting, 3 days a week for each. i'm hoping to drop 30 pounds to a little over 200

How high are you? (just a little classic byob drug humor, feel free to 'like' this comment) by which I mean how tall are you? Remember that a hugely important part of gettin' fit is about eating and drinking less crud and more things like leaves and small branches (?)

i am he

its good

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
6'2"

i am he

c25k is solid and good. i'm running my first half in april any tips or tricks

beer pal

-make sure someone doesnt tie your shoe laces together to the other shoe so you fall down
-eat your bananas before the race and not during so you dont slip on peels
-think about baseball during the running so you dont get that urge to fall down

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Piso Mojado

Yoga is really good. Maybe try starting with sun salutations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodbyeTurtles

i am he posted:

c25k is solid and good. i'm running my first half in april any tips or tricks

If you mean half marathon I have tips.

Make sure you practice running at the same time if day as the race and on the day have a breakfast that you'd normally have before a run so you know it won't give you cramps.

In training, run 2 or 3 times a week & only run for set amounts of time, don't worry about distance. Increase from 40 min runs to 50 mins then add ten mins each week. Aim to for about 2 hours

• Locked thread