Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

I couldn't find the old fitness thread so I made a new one.

Here is where you post about all things fitness:
- Run 8 miles every day? post about it!
- Enjoy hard work and sweating with your bros in the gym? Cool, post up and be prepared to prove that you are the biggest human alive.
- Is your idea of fun punching people and being punched? Great, please don't hit me.
- Just sent that 6b+ problem at the crag with no beta? Cool, we can be best friends.

I know it feels good to tell people about how great you are at stuff, or how much better as a human being you are than others for being able to do an impressive but incredibly niche activity.

Things to post about :
- Brag or humblebrag about how good & strong your bod is, and tell us how you made it that way. maybe even post pics if you're brave enough.
- Let us know what you're planning for the new year.
- Are you training for something? I probably don't care very much but tell us anyway! someone might!
- What are your fitness goals? How are you going to achieve them?
- Just did something cool or impressive? Cool, tell or show us, please i need this
- Maybe try to post about how cool and buff you are when really you are just sad and insecure about your baby arms but you just want attention (for people who don't do anything cool or good)
-I don't know what you should post stop asking I'm not your mom

Have fun & stay hydrated

GoodbyeTurtles fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodbyeTurtles

Gross Dude posted:

Goodbye turtles, you are a hotty

Thanks. I have a powerful climb bod

GoodbyeTurtles

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I would like to do some climbing. It gives you that functional strength which I strive for constantly, like gymnastics.

Do you climb often?

Every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Usually in about 3 hour sessions.

Climbing is a great all round excercise, working mostly on the core (if you do it right). Most people think it's mostly upper body (it can be if you do it wrong) but really you should be doing all of the hard work pushing yourself upwards with your legs and using the arms for stability rather than pulling you up. Obviously grip strength is important but that comes quite naturally as you get better.

I'd 100% recommend climbing to anyone, it's great fun and almost every climbing gym is full of really friendly cool people.

GoodbyeTurtles

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I imagine I've probably gotten the wrong impression about climbing from all those professional climbing competition videos where they're doing crazy jumps and hanging from double digits. I wish there was a cheaper way to do wall climbing, it's like 50 miles to the nearest facility with a climbing wall.

Oh no, by all means there are plenty of times you'll have to commit to a literal one point of contact leap from one hold to the next (called a dynamic move or dyno) and that requires a lot of skill, balls and brute force. They are the best goddamn thing when they go right.

Get some cheap climbing shoes and find a boulder (maybe a crash pad too) to play on if there's nothing indoors nearby

GoodbyeTurtles

meteloides posted:

There's a hella lot of snow right now and my brakes are screwed, but I really like going hiking and hope to start backpacking next summer. Costco has hella nice clothes for it, they've got good hiking socks and we just got thermal shirts this month, and I'm keeping an eye on REI sales to see if any small tents or anything come up for cheap.

Once my car's fixed I'll be able to go to better trailheads, there's not much accessible by bus unless I want to walk a LOT.

I love to hike but not having a car would be a huge limiting factor (unless I felt like adding an extra 20+ miles to any of my walks, and I really don't).

Winter hiking can be good fun too, it's just all about layers (wear longjohns, they are the best), keeping comfortable and preparing for the weather to go bad (have a planned route with set bearings and an escape route). I wish we got more snow here though.

GoodbyeTurtles

hemale in pain posted:

on a diet (well not the last few days) but lifting sucks now. im soo weak in the gym but i look so much better.

got a 2 week holiday coming up which is gonna be spent entirely in pools and wandering around topless so i gotta look good

My diet sucks on account of receiving 36 chocolate oranges on my birthday so I just work out more. Need to get that holiday bod

GoodbyeTurtles

Matoi Ryuko posted:

The weather conditions sucked so much today that I developed a new technique on the fly to prevent myself from being knocked off my feet by the wind...

please share, i was blown off a cliff into the ocean today and it would have saved a life

GoodbyeTurtles

I need to get a cheap road bike for my travels but I have no idea what to look for

GoodbyeTurtles

Chill la Chill posted:

I have strong legs and comparatively weak upper body (I enjoy lifting lower body more). think a reverse no-leg-day gym bro. how much of a handicap would this be for climbing?

Climbing is mostly legwork if you do it right, you keep your arms as straight as possible and just hang from them, grip strength is useful though.

Corbae posted:

I am doing a weeks hiking next month, and am looking forward to it

Where ??

GoodbyeTurtles

Peanut and the Gang posted:

Rock climbing owns! I've been going twice a week for the past month-ish, and getting better each time. Spend 1-1.5 hours there usually, but use a little of that time talking to a friend because I only see her when rock climbing. What are the 6b's? Here we only have V# for bouldering and 5.# for climbing walls. The person said 5.# meant you were climbing rocks, but I didn't ask about other numbers.

I'm working on making the jump from top-rope to leading & I usually aim for about 2-3 hour sessions. The UK, Euro and US grading systems are all different but here's a handy, easy to remember guide:

It's not at all straightforward but with Indoor climbing I'm pretty sure we just use the sport grade. 6b is the best I've ever managed to do (top roping) without falling.

hemale in pain posted:

How many money is cheap?

Cheap (for a bike) being around the £350 or lower mark? Idk what I'm looking for.

Piso Mojado posted:

Conditions?

I'm going to be using it to travel from the outskirts into major city centers in Europe, most of which have a pretty decent cycling infrastructure, so I imagine I won't be needing a vastly complicated suspension setup or knobbly tyres.

My current bike is a Barracuda Zombie mountain bike.. thing. It's okay but no good for road use even with slick tyres on it. Looks like this:

GoodbyeTurtles

Corbae posted:

Mendips this coming week and then Brecon Breacons next month with Dartmoor soon after that

Hit me up when you're gonna do Dartmoor; I know it rather well having hiked well over 500 miles up there over the years.

I.N.R.I posted:

hi,
the brand doesnt matter since most frames come from like 2 different factories in taiwan, but pay attention to the groupset, which is the chainring and gear levers and stuff like that. u cant go wrong with shimano or campagnolo components. for 400-500 u can get a nice bike with shimano tiagra stuff or something like that on it. and buy a new bike cos old ones are just not as good. technology is improving fast

I've been told similar things by a few people (get good components, frame is much less important), so I'm looking to pick up a cheaper (but still new-ish) frame and fit some nice shiny shimano tiagra parts to it.

GoodbyeTurtles

Corbae posted:

awesome will do, last time I was around there was for ten tors when I was 16

Hahaa yeah, I did a 35 and two 45s, now I'm helping out my old school's teams with their training. It's been a very damp start to the training season this year!

GoodbyeTurtles

I've got a triathlete / trainee doctor / sports science graduate who swears by the foam roller/ personal torture device, so I'm thinking of picking one up soon.

Thanks for all the bike help, I'm much closer to finding the right bike now so I'll update with whatever I come up with before I throw any money at it!

GoodbyeTurtles

Piso Mojado posted:

yeah the foam roller was a godsend for me for cycling and soccer. i couldnt imagine life without it.

pm or snap me if you have any specific questions about a bike. Im always glad to help my friend. When i buy a VW bus this spring, ill be asking you lots of questions haha!

Will do. My advice is don't buy a VW bus unless its old as poo poo then it'd kinda cool but too much money!!

GoodbyeTurtles

Last time I rode my mountain bike it was on a rocky gravel path and my wrists were vibrated to heck and it was like being punched in the gooch with the seat.

GoodbyeTurtles

I hope the climbing gym after new year's isn't like the gym gym after new year's day.

GoodbyeTurtles

Pizzatime posted:

I'm thin but also muscular but live super unhealthy what do I do, just ignore sports and not ask any questions?

I generally eat garbage and just excercise as damage limitation

GoodbyeTurtles

As a vehicle tech I lift lots of heavy poo poo all the time, so that probably helps a bit

GoodbyeTurtles

skeleton bob

GoodbyeTurtles

I need to get into the routine of stretching before climbing because to warm up I generally just climb easy stuff as soon as I get to the gym.

GoodbyeTurtles

hemale in pain posted:

my boyfriend stretches me all the time!!!!! (gay joke)

are you superfriends?

GoodbyeTurtles

I suck at pacing myself until I'm warmed up when I run.

GoodbyeTurtles

I listen to a little DnB which is great for sprints & usually pumps me up to run at my racing pace, but it's easy to get a little carried away on a long run.

I've been told by my triathlete buddy that my form is OK, but I need to work on pacing myself better and trying not to run so close to the limit of my fitness.

GoodbyeTurtles

Ace of Baes posted:

Ive never used to but ive heard using a hrm is really helpful for that

I picked up a hrm and I've found that I can keep running at a reasonably good pace at a steady 175~bpm but if I increase speed even slightly I'll hit 190bpm and have to take it easy for like 2-3 mins after that. It's useful as a guide but I can easily tell when I'm overdoing it without it.

After some crazy sprints I managed to hit 199bpm and my heart didn't even explode.

GoodbyeTurtles

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Hm. I definitely like hit the track really hard, even on days I'm sore or limping I'm always trying to press the pace. A hrm is just more equipment to me, making everything slightly more difficult because of it. I've probably spent more time running without music than with, just because I wan't to minimize everything about my run.

Yeah, I mean it's interesting to have a readout of your HR but I've only used it about 4 times due to the hassle of having to put it on (there's a chest strap thing that you have to moisten first) and, like I already said, you can just tell when you're pushing too hard or you're at the right kinda pace without it.

GoodbyeTurtles

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i think im gonna start getting really deep into yoga, any yobpinions on the 'ga?

It's good to be flexible, do the thing

mister magpie posted:

starting couch to 5k and heavy lifting, 3 days a week for each. i'm hoping to drop 30 pounds to a little over 200

How high are you? (just a little classic byob drug humor, feel free to 'like' this comment) by which I mean how tall are you? Remember that a hugely important part of gettin' fit is about eating and drinking less crud and more things like leaves and small branches (?)

GoodbyeTurtles

i am he posted:

c25k is solid and good. i'm running my first half in april any tips or tricks

If you mean half marathon I have tips.

Make sure you practice running at the same time if day as the race and on the day have a breakfast that you'd normally have before a run so you know it won't give you cramps.

In training, run 2 or 3 times a week & only run for set amounts of time, don't worry about distance. Increase from 40 min runs to 50 mins then add ten mins each week. Aim to for about 2 hours

GoodbyeTurtles

Corbae posted:

girlfriend has started me on healthy eating and asked me to get spinach on my way home, what she doesn't know is the McDonald's I'm quickly consuming

I stopped eating McDonald's when they stopped putting chicken heads & feathers in the nuggets. Man can't get some drat battered chicken heads and feathers around here??

GoodbyeTurtles

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Just remember that you get a big fat F on your report card if you end up having to poop while you're out on a run.

This is solid advice, I lost out on my sub-2 hour half due to poor diet planning and needing to poop

GoodbyeTurtles

I'm in Tenerife gonna go climb a motherfucking volcano :c00l:

GoodbyeTurtles

Barely got internet, sitting outside a wine bar stealing WiFi atm. Walked the Maska gorge today. Google that poo poo it's tite af

GoodbyeTurtles

Chinups are a gateway excercise

GoodbyeTurtles

You must become stronger than the ground

GoodbyeTurtles

I have been bouldering a lot (have to make up the routes ourselves out here on rocks fallen from the cliffs) and walked the Masca gorge yesterday.

Today has probably been the first actual rest day, but I spent most of it juggling stones on the beach and getting sunburn everywhere. Ya

GoodbyeTurtles

Don't do sit-ups, just elbow plank for 2 mins a day

GoodbyeTurtles

Piso Mojado posted:

whaaaa?! sit ups are fun as hell tho!

I'm a 23yo vehicle tech so my back is hosed, sit-ups are pretty bad for aggravating lower back injuries so I do my best to avoid them.
I just find planking works a lot better for me anyway.

GoodbyeTurtles

Lol if you're not crying 30 seconds into a 2 min plank, it's just eye sweat I swear

GoodbyeTurtles

New plank routine: 7 minutes of heaven

Minute 1: Reg pushup style plank
Minute 2 & 3: side planks
Minute 4: reverse plank
Minute 5: elbow plank
Minute 6: bridge (lay on back, legs & head/back off floor)
Minute 7: bowl (same but on you front)

I just planked so hard I nearly puked

GoodbyeTurtles

I started doing pullups holding onto the landing as I went down stairs every morning for a while. I got to the point of being able to bang out 10 quite easily then stopped because playing over the stairs is silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodbyeTurtles

I am not good at altitude and need to train myself to breathe

• Locked thread