Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm in for 40 and the Booklord challenge, I'm also aiming for 15+ of the 40 books to be by women, I think if you can't manage to read at least one book by a woman over the course of a year you're in pretty sad shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Sign me up for 52 total books and the booklord challenge, please!

TheBandersnatch
Nov 13, 2011
In for the Booklord challenge and at least 35 books. Which might be ambitious because toddler + bar exam. We will see. 15 books by a woman.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I'm going to just do a vanilla 52 books. Hopefully I'm not biting off more than I can chew. I have a good idea of what I want to read this year and quite a few are big, fat books, but gently caress it. That's the whole point of a challenge, right?

lithium flour
Jan 27, 2012

a fully digital ovine
Okay, I'm in. 30 books that are anything not work related.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

This year I'd like to:

-Read 40 books
-Read one big book (500+ pages) every other month
-Actually continue posting after May
-Not do the book lord challenge
-Make fun of ppl who only read sci-fi/fantasy/YA series

MonotoneKimi
Oct 9, 2012

In for 52 books again this year and the Booklord challenge.

If anyone wants to suggest a wild card, that would be great.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

david crosby posted:

This year I'd like to:

-Make fun of ppl who only read sci-fi/fantasy/YA series

Sign me up for this one too please

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Alright, I've gotten everyone whose posted so far. If you need me to change anything/move you around, let me know. So far so good.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I eat booklord challenges for breakfast! I would like to eat this year's challenge. In addition, I think I'm going to read a book of poetry every week this year; I've never done that before. Thank you!
(Don't have a clue how many books this will come to be, I guess I should hope for 75)

Bandiet fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 31, 2015

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

screenwritersblues posted:

Booklord challenge as well? Also, I'm doing this too. I'm only going to buying the 33 1/3 series from the Strand when I go into NYC once a month, so no new books till at least August.

Yeah, I'll try to swing the booklord challenge too.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

I'll sign up for 52 total and Booklord.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
This sounds like a good idea! Booklord me and 52 books minimum, please. And I'm going to try for 40% by women (at least 21 books).

Gertrude Perkins fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 31, 2015

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Alright, I've gotten everyone whose posted so far. If you need me to change anything/move you around, let me know. So far so good.

You have me down for "<10% nonfiction". I'm trying to read more nonfiction; that should be ≥10% nonfiction, ≤25% rereads.

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
I'm in for 24 books this year, one every other week. I somehow managed to finish only 2 or 3 last year but still buy 10 more, so I'm also part of the No Buying club.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Gonna try out the Booklord challenge this year, plus:
- at least 30 books overall
- 3 by Indigenous Australian authors

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

MonotoneKimi posted:

Have you read Between the World and Me? If not, read that.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I'm in for 60 books and the booklord challenge.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

26 books and the booklord challenge. Feels like a low number, but I only read 12 books this year which is extremely shameful to me because I used to read a couple of books a week, so hoping this inspires me to both read more and branch out into new territory.

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013
Oh yeah if someone could wildcard me that would be grand.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I'll do the booklord challenge and go for 50 books. I horribly failed my challenge last year when I didn't read anything after August, but I should be better.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

MonotoneKimi posted:

Wait, that doesn't mean one of the Wild Cards? I have always been curious...

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Here's how I'm doing my Wild Card! I'm going to use a random word generator, then do an Amazon book search on that word. The first book that's being sold for a penny on the marketplace shall be my Wild Card!

Frost! Okay, punching that into Amazon...

A book of Robert Frost poems! Well, that could have turned out a lot worse.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Last year my goal was to read all 7 Harry Potter books in German. I failed. So my goal for this year is to finish the 5 remaining books that I have, and then read 2 other 'fun' books (German or English) for a total of 7 books.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

nefarias bredd posted:

Oh yeah if someone could wildcard me that would be grand.

I got wildcarded Concrete by Thomas Bernhard last year, if you haven't read that then there you go.

Also someone wildcard me please!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I've done 52 the last few years.

I am gonna go down to 30 because I want to read some longer books.

marblize
Sep 6, 2015
I'm going to attempt 52 books. At least 26 books by women and at least 13 books by non-white folks. Also the book lord challenge.

I have my own little map of genres and subjects I'm going to try to fill as well but I reckon I'll leave the minute specifics out.

Corrode posted:

How about Calf by Andrea Kleine?

Someone wildcard me too, please!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

marblize posted:

Someone wildcard me too, please!

LaRose by Louise Erdrich, it releases May 10, 2016

marblize
Sep 6, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

LaRose by Louise Erdrich, it releases May 10, 2016

Dope! Thank you

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

You have me down for "<10% nonfiction". I'm trying to read more nonfiction; that should be ≥10% nonfiction, ≤25% rereads.

Fixed.

Also, I placed those under the no challenge post because you didn't mention if you where taking the booklord challenge or not. If you want to take it, let me know and I'll add you.

McClanahan
May 29, 2009
I'll participate, please put me down for 40 books with the Booklord's challenge. Hoping to get more non-fiction in this year.

And if someone could give me a wildcard book, it'd be appreciated.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009
What the hell, let's do this again: I'm in for 35 books this year and the challenge as well.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm in. Put me down for 40 books by authors I've never read before.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Started on book #1, which will be Lemmy's autobiography. Seemed like a natural choice.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

marblize posted:

How about Calf by Andrea Kleine?

I'd never heard of this but it looks cool, thanks!

I'll let someone else wildcard you since I did one just now for nefarias.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fixed.

Also, I placed those under the no challenge post because you didn't mention if you where taking the booklord challenge or not. If you want to take it, let me know and I'll add you.

What? Yes I did!

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm going to repeat last year's challenge:
- 96 books
- Booklord Challenge
- ≥ 10% nonfiction
- ≤ 25% rereads

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

What? Yes I did!

According to the post that has the book Lord challenge, I have you down for it. The next part is for everyone else who didn't submit anything and let me know that they're doing the challenge. So yeah there's that. Sorry for the confusion.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Ah hell, in again for 2016. I'll attempt the booklord challenge too.

MonotoneKimi
Oct 9, 2012

Radio! posted:

Have you read Between the World and Me? If not, read that.

Nope. It's on my mental "read at some point" list, so now I'll be certain to. Thanks!

McClanahan posted:

I'll participate, please put me down for 40 books with the Booklord's challenge. Hoping to get more non-fiction in this year.

And if someone could give me a wildcard book, it'd be appreciated.

If you haven't read it I suggest King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013

Corrode posted:

I got wildcarded Concrete by Thomas Bernhard last year, if you haven't read that then there you go.

Thanks! Just popped it in my Book Depository basket.

• Locked thread