Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marblize
Sep 6, 2015
finished my first!

1) The Writer's Notebook - Tin House
A nifty little collection of essays on writing. My favorites coming to mind in these wee hours were probably the one on world building, the one on sex, and the ones on "incorrect" words. also a really interesting one on the Great Gatsby's editing process.

I reckon this fulfilled #7 on booklord and 1/5th of my personal goal of 5 books on writing craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I realised I finished only one book last year and started a couple of others. That's partly down to be busy and also not doing uni anymore means I don't need to get poo poo read anymore.
Anyways I'll sign myself up once more but with a goal of 12 books total. I might be able to get that in the bag maybe.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Guy A. Person posted:

cool, that helps, thanks!

No worries - I love that book and haven't heard anyone else talk about it. For the animal one you could try The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly (Sun-Mi Hwang) and for short stories, Revenge (Yoko Ogawa). Hope that helps!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I am up for the Booklord challenge with a goal of 40 books this year.

Someone give me a wildcard, please!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Enfys posted:

Someone give me a wildcard, please!

Instructions For Living Someone Else's Life by Mil Millington.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I finished my first book of the year.

1. Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari (audiobook version)

I don't think this qualifies as for any of the Read Harder criteria, since it's based more on sociology and technology instead of actual science, though it has its moments. And it didn't win an Audie.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

screenwritersblues posted:

I've updated the second and third posts again. Note: If you haven't told me that you're taking the book lord challenge, I put you in the third post. If you are taking the Booklord challenge, please let me know. Also, if you see something else that I need to change, don't be afraid to tell me.

I'm not listed yet. e: 52, no booklord.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
I signed up for last year's challenge and then pretty much forgot about it, so maybe I'll be better about that this year! I'm doing the Booklord challenge at 52 books. I'm also going to do the BookRiot Read Harder challenge and/or the PopSugar 2016 challenge. I am going to include books that I started in 2015 but haven't finished yet.

My Goodreads is here!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I set an ambitious (for me) goal last year which I then failed to meet by a margin I can only describe as comical, including taking six months to read a 165 page book. Time is at a premium these days, and in my shame at my abject failure from 2015, am setting a much more modest goal of 15 books in 2016. No booklord challenge for me this year.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

guppy posted:

I set an ambitious (for me) goal last year which I then failed to meet by a margin I can only describe as comical, including taking six months to read a 165 page book. Time is at a premium these days, and in my shame at my abject failure from 2015, am setting a much more modest goal of 15 books in 2016. No booklord challenge for me this year.

Aw, I'm disappointed. I was going to give you I Don't: A Contrarian History of Marriage for your wildcard.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Dienes posted:

Aw, I'm disappointed. I was going to give you I Don't: A Contrarian History of Marriage for your wildcard.

I'm stealing it! Looks interesting.

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
Okay! I've decided to take on the booklord challenge! Since my goal is so small, it intrigues me to try making every book count.

Edit: Someone give me a wildcard please! Maybe something that's weird without being overly difficult ?

Socialized fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 6, 2016

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Alright I think I have everyone. I'm going to do something that no one has ever done before. I'm going to stop updating the challenge posts on Sunday January 10th. You can still sign up, but I will not update it after that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Socialized posted:

Okay! I've decided to take on the booklord challenge! Since my goal is so small, it intrigues me to try making every book count.

Edit: Someone give me a wildcard please! Maybe something that's weird without being overly difficult ?

The Girl on the Fridge and Other Stories by Etgar Keret.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

screenwritersblues posted:

Alright I think I have everyone. I'm going to do something that no one has ever done before. I'm going to stop updating the challenge posts on Sunday January 10th. You can still sign up, but I will not update it after that.

Not on there yet... doing booklord with a total of 60.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Not on there yet... doing booklord with a total of 60.

Ditto. Someone toss me a wildcard.

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

The Girl on the Fridge and Other Stories by Etgar Keret.

This sounds pretty nifty, thank you!

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

at the date posted:

Ditto. Someone toss me a wildcard.

The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Do people typically update with progress on the challenge in this thread?

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010

Quandary posted:

Most people do monthly updates

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Quandary posted:

Yes, generally around the end of each month (though some people only update every 2-3 months depending on the size of their challenge and how much progress they have had). For individual book reviews/blurbs it seems to be a mix, some post them here with their monthly update, but some post the detailed reviews in the "What Did You Just Finish?" thread.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Glad I found this thread soon enough to join in; I'll try to do 80 books this year, along with the Book Lord Challenge. Also I will have a side goal of reading at least one fiction book each month since I've spent so long barely reading any.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I didn't challenge myself in a way that worked for me, and as a result I didn't really reach any of my goals last year. Gonna do something different. This year I'm going to challenge myself to re-read all of Shakespeare's canon. It's been over ten years since I've read some of those plays, and as a result I've forgotten most of them. I've wanted to do this re-read for a while--2016 will be the year! I'm going to use the collected works as organized by Bevington, so that will amount to 38 plays total, as well as his poems and sonnets.

Soooo, Shakespeare's Canon: 38 plays + longer poems and sonnets.

I still plan to read books, but I'll tally them as I go rather than aim for an arbitrary number.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
You can also feel free to update like me, where you keep trying for your challenge but forget about the thread for anywhere between days and months at a time and then do an update whenever you remember. Maybe that's not the best methodology, though! ;)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I did update like that! I just wasn't enjoying the reading challenge I set for myself.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Talas posted:

The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay.

This looks interesting, thanks.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Someone wildcard me too, please :)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Aphra Bane posted:

Someone wildcard me too, please :)

Bloodchild and Other Stories by Octavia Butler

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Thank you! New author for me, and I'm looking forward to it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've already completed 3 or 4 of the challenges, I'm off to a good start. I tend to read a bunch in January because I wind up receiving a stack of books for Christmas and dive into them.

I'll take a wildcard please. I really disliked the wildcard I got last year so I hope this year is different!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

The Berzerker posted:

I've already completed 3 or 4 of the challenges, I'm off to a good start. I tend to read a bunch in January because I wind up receiving a stack of books for Christmas and dive into them.

I'll take a wildcard please. I really disliked the wildcard I got last year so I hope this year is different!

The executioners song by Norman Mailer

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I could steal a wildcard, The Girl on the Fridge looks good, but someone wildcard me anyway.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Rusty posted:

I could steal a wildcard, The Girl on the Fridge looks good, but someone wildcard me anyway.

How to Be Both by Ali Smith

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 8, 2016

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks, that sounds great.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
May I also have a wild card to add to the chaos?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Franchescanado posted:

May I also have a wild card to add to the chaos?

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

I failed miserably last year. Time to try again, with a more modest goal - 35 books, doing the booklord challenge.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

Someone's in for a treat.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Also, here's my Goodreads, in case anyone is interested for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The executioners song by Norman Mailer

This sounds great, thanks.

• Locked thread