Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Evangelion blu-rays are out, and the busy holidays are behind us. It's time to watch the classic 1995 anime Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Keeping this OP brief for now. Everyone has heard of the show and if you haven't, then you are in for a treat and should just hop right in.

What's the schedule?

Simple: Starting tomorrow, Monday 12/28 we will be watching two episodes every M/W/F at 8 PM EST for the first 3 weeks. This has worked in the past so I figure, why fix what's not broken? On week 4, we'll watch 2 episodes on M/W/F like usual, but then the final two episodes of the TV series will be watched at the same time on Saturday. Then on Sunday, we'll watch End of Evangelion at the same time as usual. We won't be watching the Rebuild movies but if anyone wants to talk about them after End of Evangelion then they're more than welcome to do so!

Don't feel like you have to watch at the specified time though, no matter what time it starts timezones will make it a hassle for someone out there. If that time is inconvenient for you then watch and post about it after the scheduled time!

Tentative Schedule in picture format:

How do I watch it?

I wish I could say that there's a stream out there but the show has been out of print for awhile so unless you have an old DVD set lying around you'll have to find it with other methods. It's not hard to find the incredibly nice blu-ray rips (That are in 720p and hella large 1080p flavors, for all tastes and computers).

Stuff about spoilers

Evangelion is an old show and quite frankly I suspect most of the people participating will have seen it already. But not everyone! I know I've seen a few posters that have said this will be their first time. So I just have a simple request: I'd like for spoiler chat to be relevant to the episodes we've watched. Sometimes you might wanna talk about something in an episode that requires mentioning future content! Just spoiler tag it and it's all good. There's a general Eva thread for everything else if you have a pressing need to talk about stuff that's not relevant yet.

But likewise if you're a new viewer and you do get inadvertently spoiled then I'm sorry but it's an old, very popular show so that stuff just happens!

Anything else?

Just remember to have a good time watching and talking about the classic anime Neon Genesis Evangelion, and be excellent to each other :cheerdoge:

Srice fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
8 p.m. in what time zone though?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

gently caress I knew I forgot something! EST.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I am excited for this!

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Droyer posted:

I am excited for this!

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I'll watch this again. I can't wait to see Shinji beat up all the bad guys in his giant robot, and get all the girls!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

I am excited for this!

e: I'm less excited about the 7.5GB of storage I have to work with.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 28, 2015

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

This show introduced a lot of Australians to anime due to a combination of being shown nationwide on free to air, and being a really good show that generated plenty of word of mouth. SBS actually gave it a second time slot just so new viewers could watch it from the start.

Wikipedia posted:

In 1998, Evangelion was the first anime series broadcast by Australia's SBS Television also airing in prime time. News of the broadcast slowly spread, and as a result, there was an upsurge of viewers midway through the season. This led to the unprecedented move of airing the series a second time from the beginning (SBS had acquired a licence to broadcast the series twice over), despite the fact the first airing had not yet completed. The success of Evangelion prompted SBS to gain the rights to several other anime series and the two Evangelion movies, which it later broadcast in their entirety.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

This show introduced a lot of Australians to anime due to a combination of being shown nationwide on free to air, and being a really good show that generated plenty of word of mouth. SBS actually gave it a second time slot just so new viewers could watch it from the start.

Now there's a country with good taste.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I have been waiting for this thread every day this week like a lunatic. Eva is easily in the top 3 favorite series for me, although maybe not for the same reasons most people like it.

I kinda fell off towards the end of the haruhi one, but I'm for sure making this.

I don't suppose the blu rays have the better english version and I'll have to stick with good old DVD?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gonna try to keep up with this one using my old rear end DVDs that haven't actually been touched in like 10 years.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I never actually watched this show. I haven't done one of these since Turn A, I'll give it a try.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hoping to participate, just not sure if my data cap can handle it :sweatdrop:
i'm really glad that people new to the series are participating though!

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Wow, I haven't watched Evangelion sinced I marathoned through my subtitled VHS collection* back in 1999. I'm definitely looking forward to this.

FUN FACT: Young Command Ant had a crush on Asuka, and liked to imagine himself helping her get over her problems.

*: :smug:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I won't be able to participate in this right away since I'll be on vacation, but I'll catch up as soon as I can. I haven't watched the television series in almost 8 years so I'm excited!

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Yeah I was one of those people. I remember being like 7 or 8 and catching the occasional episode and it just being this strange, ethereal viewing experience. No one I knew had seen it and I didn't really know how to explain what it was. I saw it in its almost entirety in 2002 when it aired on Saturday nights on Cartoon Network - who that year also started airing Cowboy Bebop.

Neon Genesis Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop became some of my most formative TV/film experiences (they're still probably my two favourite TV shows).

NGE and Bebop had a tonal range in both their characters, and their atmospheres, that I had never seen before. Within the one episode they could dip into comedy, action, drama, horror, and romance. They could make you laugh, be scared, or could even project a feeling of loneliness. It made the characters seem more human, more complex. I read a lot at that age, but there'd never been a book to make me feel such a visceral range of emotions, and it continues to be the thing that makes me most interested in anime, and more recently manga (I don't know why I've put off manga for so long).

Maybe most importantly, it made me open to (and seek out) books, music and movies from other countries, and stuff that was a little strange. It wasn't solely because of Neon Genesis Evangelion, but if it wasn't for experiences like watching NGE when I did, I don't know if I'd ever gotten into Kobo Abe, Nikolay Gogol, or Herman Hesse. Which would have meant I never got into a whole other range of cool stuff. If 7 year old me hadn't nervously stayed up on Saturday night to watch NGE, would I still like Bong Joon-ho and Wong Kar-wai movies now? Or would I dismiss movies that made me feel weird, or that had subtitles?

This was my post about Neon Genesis Evangelion. Its p good show, there's even a penguin.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I hope that the people who are watching for the first time post liberally. Especially if you know nothing or close to nothing about the series going in.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I've been waiting for this. The last time I saw this show was in 1999, when my friend lent me CDs full of compression-tastic .divx files. It should be a treat to watch it in good quality.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Having never watched this show is my great anime shame so this will be fun and use way too much of my data, probably

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looking forward to my yearly watch of the greatest work of the 20th century being with other people this time.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I watched EoE again recently but I haven't seen the show for a few years, so this should be good.

l33tc4k30fd00m fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 28, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Goddamn it. I've watched this awful series three times now. Are you fuckers gonna coerce me into seeing this poo poo again?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tracula posted:

Goddamn it. I've watched this awful series three times now. Are you fuckers gonna coerce me into seeing this poo poo again?

the fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

darealkooky posted:

I have been waiting for this thread every day this week like a lunatic. Eva is easily in the top 3 favorite series for me, although maybe not for the same reasons most people like it.

I kinda fell off towards the end of the haruhi one, but I'm for sure making this.

I don't suppose the blu rays have the better english version and I'll have to stick with good old DVD?

Since the blu-ray rips required the folks handling that stuff to slap subs on them, they slapped the dub on there too.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeah, this one is pretty good. I found it to be neither is incomprehensible or as transcendent as other people have said, but if I were to point to some genuinely good rear end anime with a good plot, compelling characters, and thematic resonance throughout, this would certainly be one of the top ten I point to (or top five, I kinda waffle about that). I genuinely hope that there are some people who have never seen it before joining along.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I have been looking forward to this since the Haruhi simulwatch. I watch whatever bit of the dub comedy central put on 13 years ago, but never really paid all that much attention.

Edit: I play in a couple big bands, and "Fly Me To The Moon" comes up pretty regularly. I can no longer play or hear it without thinking about the show, and the way that the happy-go-lucky song was always immediately preceded by some horrible and despair-inducing development.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 28, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I love NGE- I've yet to see a series that I think is better (Though a few that come very close). Doubt I'll be posting much myself here, though I look forward to seeing what others have to say.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I watched NGE for the first time earlier this year and I'm looking forward to going through it again with weekly commentary this time.

Thanks Srice.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This has prompted me to finally clear out my hard drives, and now my fate is in the hands of my lovely internet. It's been a good dozen years, I'm excited.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

This was one of the first animes I ever made an effort to seek out and watch rather than just catching episodes as they came on TV. I was always pushing hard for a simulwatch and I def. want to see fresh watchers reactions.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I've been looking for an excuse to re-watch Evangelion, so I'll do the simulwatch :)

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Srice posted:

I encourage any and all naysayers to follow along with the simul, as it could liven up the discussion :shibe:

I am looking forward to a revival of 2004's "While the comparison isn't entirely fair to RahXephon, it's easiest to view the series as a competently executed, intelligent, adult version of Evangelion."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This is a troll review, right? I've never even seen the few actual fans of RahXephon praise that show this much.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
At the very least, that's what the show was trying to be, and what people wanted out of it.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This has prompted me to finally clear out my hard drives, and now my fate is in the hands of my lovely internet. It's been a good dozen years, I'm excited.

The 1080 bds take up so much space T_T

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i might just stick with the regular 720p version i got when i first watched the series late last year...but dang i feel like i'll be missing out

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
man i am disappointed to find out that zac wrote that

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

People can change a lot over 11 years.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Oh jeez, the 1080p version is 60 gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I originally watched Eva via ridiculously poor quality .rm files I got off of someone's FTP server. Those were the loving days I tell you.

• Locked thread