Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New comic - https://archives.erfworld.com/Book%205/21?fbclid=IwAR2IxzjQ5kUuD9qKHgaW0uNeHHtNHxaw1iZ2vTdRHuPYkNGivE-vhJ0OpQI

Oh... my... god... Becky...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Well, that settles it. He's definitely churning out crap just to keep the Patreon bucks flowing. The text update is almost smaller than the one image, which is just last update's image from a different angle that hides the lack of detail and the awful face.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Oh... my... god... Becky...

Paige, your rear end is leaking.

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Next update we see the interior of the tower, but it won't speak even by the end.

Pawg From Produce fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 13, 2019

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, that settles it. He's definitely churning out crap just to keep the Patreon bucks flowing. The text update is almost smaller than the one image, which is just last update's image from a different angle that hides the lack of detail and the awful face.

Are you sure? I went back and looked, and I swear her feet are further apart in the last one. The pose/posture is absolute garbage either way, but it'd somehow be worse if it wasn't the exact same pose at a different angle.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Also the writing gimmick of 'Character thinks about themselves as if they were in a less competently written story, allowing the author to joke about bad writing unlike their good writing' is phenomenally lazy and really uninteresting.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
gently caress you guys. I opened that and my eyes were immediately in pain from the assault.

I miss book one art. gently caress, even book two.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

XkyRauh posted:

Are you sure? I went back and looked, and I swear her feet are further apart in the last one. The pose/posture is absolute garbage either way, but it'd somehow be worse if it wasn't the exact same pose at a different angle.

The level of detail is so low and blurry that it's honestly impossible for me to tell if there's a difference or not. The positions of the arms look the same, anyway. The legs look closer together, but I think that's just because we're viewing from the back-right rather than from directly behind, causing the legs to appear closer together because they're lined up with each other from this angle. And other than the limbs, she's basically just a featureless blob with no lines and basically random shading, so the limbs are basically the only source of information we have. And if they're churning out low-effort garbage using 3D models as a basis, reusing the same pose from a different angle seems like an obvious route to take.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

You're right, Main Paineframe. It's the same awful pose... :sigh:

Did the "Book 0 prequel" thing ever get finished, or is that still hanging in the air? I remember going back and trying to do a read-through and couldn't really understand what order to read everything in.

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

XkyRauh posted:

You're right, Main Paineframe. It's the same awful pose... :sigh:

Did the "Book 0 prequel" thing ever get finished, or is that still hanging in the air? I remember going back and trying to do a read-through and couldn't really understand what order to read everything in.
If I remember correctly, Book 0 was supposed to have a third part to it, that has never come out. The first two parts were published simultaneously to Book 2, but I don't know if it would work to read 0 between 1 and 2... and the epilogues in Book 2 start referencing it, so there's really no good answer.

Another point I saw some confusion on earlier in the thread was people wondering how Balder expected comic-only readers to keep up with the story throughout Book 3/4, remembering that during Book 2 the text updates were explicitly extraneous material and that style of reading was supported. That conceit folded once that book ended, and Erfworld became fully a hybrid comic/novel.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I keep attempting to read book 2, but then I go "oh my gawd I don't want to read"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just reread Book 1, then daydream about what you think might happen next. You'll be much happier.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

What I really don't get is why Rob "Send it back four times because minor details are off" Balder would be okay with such mushy art.

Control freaks are actually really lazy when it comes to their own role in a project. When they drive everyone away their projects fall apart.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

Control freaks are actually really lazy when it comes to their own role in a project. When they drive everyone away their projects fall apart.

Anyone who's ever worked for an "ideas guy" boss can attest to this. Your role is to do a million and one of his great ideas, and his role is to drag his feet on filling in a form or setting a brief or whatever tiny, menial task would allow you to finish realising his grand design.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I keep attempting to read book 2, but then I go "oh my gawd I don't want to read"

I thought Book 2 was pretty solid too, honestly, and once I got over the idea of "I'm reading a webcomic!" I actually came to prefer the heavy text updates for all the worldbuilding and plot. If I remember correctly, it didn't start to fall apart until halfway through Book 3 when the plot stopped moving and Rob decided we needed to see things from every other character's point of view.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
To me this comic was finally all the way dead when he decided to make Charlie the Wizard Of Oz.

Looking back on it occasionally in book 1 parson would wax poetic about the wizard of oz story and how his own role mirrored it and I should have known then to be worried.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

why does his entire web page still look like it just got past frames

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Patware posted:

why does his entire web page still look like it just got past frames

Volunteer web designers

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

reignofevil posted:

Looking back on it occasionally in book 1 parson would wax poetic about the wizard of oz story and how his own role mirrored it and I should have known then to be worried.
I think it could have been done alright if there were deliberate parallels drawn, in the usual Erf-ish way, but making it explicit is just a bit too much.

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Erfworld Facts: Jillian's sword is called Three-Edge because she fucks the handle. IPTSF 37

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Pawg From Produce posted:

Erfworld Facts: Jillian's sword is called Three-Edge because she fucks the handle. IPTSF 37
Why did I think you were joking? :magical:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

IPTSF was garbage because it spent thousands of words on the worst, most unlikable character in the story, developing a bunch of relationships that all changed so substantially in the intervening time as to be unrecognizable, and introduced almost no plot-relevant information at all. it was even worse than the weird, rambly book 1 epilogue

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

Why did I think you were joking? :magical:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Even the official comments are getting sick of this poo poo.

Pawg From Produce posted:

Not surprised I missed that, the prequel story was the most boring thing in the comic, probably still is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You know, normally you usually don't actually want a bad webcomic to end because then there's no more material left to hate-read.

I want ErfWorld to die. It needs to just get dragged out back and put out of its misery so the artists who are too good for this can go find other projects and Rob can answer his true calling of running an MLM scam or something.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Erfworld: Become Dozerfleet is kind of an amazing story, it should have a suitably dramatic ending. I of course mean Rob's doomed attempt to bootstrap himself into being a major nerd franchise rather than just making a good webcomic, which at this point is the actual story rather than anything involving Parson the Sidelined.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

PMush Perfect posted:

You know, normally you usually don't actually want a bad webcomic to end because then there's no more material left to hate-read.

I want ErfWorld to die. It needs to just get dragged out back and put out of its misery so the artists who are too good for this can go find other projects and Rob can answer his true calling of running an MLM scam or something.

I don't really want it to die, I'd rather Rob somehow finds the thread again. I really, really liked Erfworld as of book 1 and 2, thought it was shaping up to be a really compelling, interesting story. I dunno, maybe he gets a therapist or a business consultant or something that can get him to scale back all this weirdness and just keep an artist around to knock out a few comic frames a week, focus on writing a good story from the viewpoints of the characters we already care about.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Maybe he can go back to doing PartiallyClips.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Phenotype posted:

I don't really want it to die, I'd rather Rob somehow finds the thread again. I really, really liked Erfworld as of book 1 and 2, thought it was shaping up to be a really compelling, interesting story. I dunno, maybe he gets a therapist or a business consultant or something that can get him to scale back all this weirdness and just keep an artist around to knock out a few comic frames a week, focus on writing a good story from the viewpoints of the characters we already care about.

What happens when he wraps it up? He was on track for some sort of resolution repeatedly, and repeatedly rejected each using rear end pull mechanics and sloppy writing. He obviously doesn't want the gravy train to stop and fears it will if he isn't holding a gun to the main plot's head metaphorically.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Well, there's a new update up.

I feel like we should open up a betting pool or something on how many pages in a row they reuse the same pose.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Main Paineframe posted:

I feel like we should open up a betting pool or something on how many pages in a row they reuse the same pose.

Balder has finally learnt that it is better to show, not tell. Thus, he will no longer just write the same event transpiring 7 times, each time from a different point of view. Now he will show each character from a different point of view as well, increasing the mileage he gets out of his writing tenfold.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

How is this comic still getting fanfic? How does anyone still have a positive enough outlook to write one?

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Poor Erfworld. Failed to art and died.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is it actually dead? Has it finally been put out of its misery?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

PMush Perfect posted:

Is it actually dead? Has it finally been put out of its misery?
Sorry, this comic has It Will Not Die as a special rule.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's still going, and even getting back on schedule. The art's still shifting with each new page, but they're not very good at hiding its flaws. For example, Noah's appeared a couple times now, but each and every time he's positioned in such a way as to completely hide his face, which they probably haven't finished making yet.

If you haven't been keeping up, you haven't missed much yet. It spent a few pages with Paige worrying about the new tower and being suspicious of it and getting to know it...and then Noah arrived, so now he's spent the last few pages worrying about the new tower and being suspicious of it and getting to know it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Are there ever going to be actual comics again, or is it just a lightly illustrated novel now?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's more of a visual grovel right now.

I mean novel.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's a train wreck and has been for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm okay with it just being a plain novel.