Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's more of a visual grovel right now.

I mean novel.

a graphic grovel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm okay with it just being a plain novel.

That'd be good if Balder were able to be consistent and focused.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

But how many bitcoins could a paperback mine?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, now I'm interested.

The illustration of Sugar is even kind of effective, but I think they'd probably do better to give up on pictures.)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Latest page looks like a rejected David Dees piece.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, at this point, Erfworld actually seems to be able to crank out regular comic updates in a style that's upgraded from "bad" to "interestingly weird." I'm eager to see where this leads.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, at this point, Erfworld actually seems to be able to crank out regular comic updates in a style that's upgraded from "bad" to "interestingly weird." I'm eager to see where this leads.

I wanted to disagree with this but ***most*** of the stuff in the panels is actually not horrible to view now and even interesting in a way. But it also doesn't look like Erfworld either. Of course it hasn't in a while and hasn't felt like Erfworld in even longer.

Edit: I viewed it on a mobile device however so your milage may vary on something higher resolution.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, this actually looks like an artistic style now, instead of just a disaster. Kind of reminds me of Telltale, especially Walking Dead and Tales from the Borderlands.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Yea I am hopeful too. This is just Rob doing the models right?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I see they're going for the "Everything you've been told up until now was a lie" school of Unreliable narration. This doesn't work when 1, we've been told barely anything about the world and 2, there was no reason beyond character rants to doubt the temples as anything but a complex outgrowth of linking magic disciplines to make a side's nerve center behave like a unit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't really feel like "the world of Erfworld is horseshit and the holy scriptures are unreliable" is new information.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lol this last update.

Clown mines.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol this last update.

Clown mines.

Explosive or extractive?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Explosive or extractive?

Yes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm not gonna say I love the new art, but...

It works. It's certainly not terrible.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
New art aside, has the story actually progressed at all? Is there any point in reading the comic again? Legitimate question

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I hadn't looked at Erfworld in a long while (since they announced the 3D thing in fact) but seeing this thread gets bumped got me curious enough to go take a look and they're now at "Book 5 - Prologue 35".

35 pages of prologue. I have self-contained hardcover comic books that are shorter than that.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Daduzi posted:

New art aside, has the story actually progressed at all? Is there any point in reading the comic again? Legitimate question

Current updates are about the world that came before Erfworld, Uffworld, and how it proves Erfworld sucks. This is supposed to convince the awakened tower of a hidden side that war is dumb.

None of this has been directly tied to Gobwin Knob or any of the story's "major" characters, but might maybe someday be related to how Parson ends all war everywhere eventually.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

aegof posted:

Current updates are about the world that came before Erfworld, Uffworld, and how it proves Erfworld sucks. This is supposed to convince the awakened tower of a hidden side that war is dumb.

None of this has been directly tied to Gobwin Knob or any of the story's "major" characters, but might maybe someday be related to how Parson ends all war everywhere eventually.

I was thinking about maybe checking out the book 5 stuff but this has pretty well killed any enthusiasm I might've had for that

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

ninjewtsu posted:

I was thinking about maybe checking out the book 5 stuff but this has pretty well killed any enthusiasm I might've had for that

I wish I had anything positive to say about it. The nicest I can manage is, "some people are still paying him for it."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm probably more tolerant of "stuff not related to any main characters" than most posters in this thread but 35 pages of that does not sound good

"Its also telling the story of the world before erfworld" however, is what really makes me recoil from the idea of reading more. That kind of stuff just being info dumped through unrelated characters no one cares about (especially since it sounds kind of dumb) is a real bummer

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

"What if everything you believed was a lie?"

You're the one who told me everything I'm supposed to believe, so were you just wasting my time or what?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, this seems pretty obvious to me in terms of being a take on "the Titans tried making a world where everybody was nice once and it didn't work."

Why it didn't work, we don't know.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Has it been a year since we saw Parson and co? I feel like I was bitching about how long the prologue would take about a year ago.

Edit: Oh I could have checked. 6 pages ago, Dec 1st. 10 months of prologue. My whining about pacing was apparently very optimistic.

Donkringel fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 7, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Donkringel posted:

Dec 1st. 10 months of prologue.
Holy poo poo, what?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

meanwhile, it took more than one year (104 comics) between Wanda getting captured and escaping, a development that happened over less than two in-universe days.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I'm glad we weren't watching the main cast and the incredibly convoluted situation they were in while the new art's considerable growing pains were being worked through. The upside of spending so many pages on these absolute nobodies is that since I don't care about them at all, even after all this time, I don't particularly care how badly their appearance gets mangled while Rob practices his 3D modeling skills on The Kingdom Of Only Two People On The Entire Island, Who Are Apparently Never In The Same Room.

The downside, however, is that now he's trying to dump critical plot details, and I'm not very engaged with a kingdom that's basically just been Exposition Island, where nothing really happens except explaining and analyzing side plot elements in detail. A flashback to an entirely different cast of two people, neither of whom have ever been mentioned before, set untold generations ago, just makes that problem even worse.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Apparently Erfworld is completely dead due to a tragedy happening in Balder's family.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Erfworld dead, so what

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Well, it's better than the sketchy, inconsistent dragging-on it's been doing for all these months. Shame for all the Kickstarter backers who donated upwards of $11,000 for limited-edition account icons just this summer to keep the comic going, though! And the people who spent who knows how long mining bitcoins for him! And so on! No surprise he made sure to lock the forums, wiki, and so on to only a specific subset of superfans.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Reddit posted:

Information I am willing to allow to be shared here:

Erfworld will no longer be available as a free webcomic
The Erfworld facebook page has been removed.
Erfworld Twitter account has been disabled/removed
Erfworld book 1 will be removed from giantitp.
Erfworld archives are available through old links (missing the latest update)
Roughly 4% of users have the Heartstrings badge with access to more of the site and the news post.
Rob is not committing to making any more erfworld updates ever. He is also not ruling out future updates happening. However those updates would be restricted to Heartstrings members.
Rain or Shine donations will still be taken as normal (guessing that most Rain or Shine donors are Heartstrings members).
On Time updates will be collected if there is ever an update that can be considered on time.
If you change your backing from Rain Or Shine, you will have your Heartstrings badge removed (basically erfworld will be subscription based)
This decision was driven be criticism of erfworld and Rob's decisions.
Rob will be "more honest" with Heartstrings members instead of worrying that what he says will be taken the wrong way.

As a note, be careful sharing this info as I've received three copies of this information with slight differences. Might be copy paste errors, might be intentionally trying to weed out people who share the info.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

thats loving amazing :allears:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Well that's sad. I was hoping that there may have been a turn around.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rich Burlew, author of Order of the Stick posted:

Hey all.

As you may or may not have seen, Rob has chosen to stop producing Erfworld as a result of a personal tragedy in his family. As part of that decision, he contacted me and asked me to remove the comic from GITP and lock this forum thread. I've agreed to do that, as a personal favor to him and Linda.

While I wouldn't normally be inclined to lock a thread discussing/criticizing a creative work by request of the author of that work, the fact that he is simultaneously ending the comic means that there will be no actual pages of a webcomic for this webcomic thread to talk about. Rather than have it devolve solely into gossip about Rob and/or his family situation, I think it's just as well to lock it.

Removing the first book of the comic from this site will likely take a few days for Rawhide to handle, so if you want to read through it one more time for free, you should do that sooner rather than later.

As per usual for locked threads, please don't start a new thread on this topic. In the unlikely event that Erfworld begins posting new publicly-available pages, you have advance permission to begin a new discussion thread at that time.

Asking Burlew to remove the comic from his site makes sense, but to lock a forum thread?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think it’s for the best, and “I don’t want you gossiping about Balder and his family on my forum” is a good line to draw. Those forums are weird on a good day, and it’ll only get weirder if there’s no actual content to discuss in a comic-specific thread.

What’s really weird is Balder pulling the entirety of the comic from the internet. Has a reason been given?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i mean the most likely thing is either linda died/the cancer came back in untreatable form. which sucks.

the whole "purging the entire comic from the internet wholesale, but MAYBE continuing to make some pages, someday, to be privately shared only with my biggest fans" is deeply, deeply weird, but also kind of classic balder. it's pretty much par for the course in terms of his craziness and overreaction to criticism.

"This decision was driven be criticism of erfworld and Rob's decisions" raises my eyebrows halfway to the moon. i remember him going into full panic mode about a Terrible, Horrible, Awful Bad Thing earlier this year which was heavily rumored to be "an old artist he stiffed on payments sued him for the money" so i'm wondering how much of this is genuine tragedy and how much is just him realizing how much he's backed himself into a corner and basically throwing down a smoke bomb.

e: apparently unrelated entirely to linda's cancer or the ongoing legal trouble so yeah, this is just a SMOKE BOMB

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 13, 2019

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wait, he'll still charge "on time" subscribers for a comic if he happens to post one on time, but if a "rain or shine" subscriber changes their subscription to "on time", he'll remove their "heartstrings" status which allows them to actually view comics?

I'm only 90% sure I follow all that, but I'm pretty sure it describes a situation in whi ch a number of people might be charged "for" a comic being released that they aren't allowed to see.

I suspect I can see why this guy has a troubled relationship with criticism.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 13, 2019

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

blastron posted:

What’s really weird is Balder pulling the entirety of the comic from the internet. Has a reason been given?

https://archives.erfworld.com/

Like it says in the statement, the archives are still available. It seems like only potential new updates will be private. Also, it will be removed from giantitp, for some reason.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The only reason it was still on GITP was free advertising, so that part is at least internally consistent if he's serious about shutting it down.

Also, just lmao at all this. If he's actually got some real poo poo going down then my condolences and all that, but what a way to functionally end this ridiculous saga of a comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I'm actually a bit sad. As bad as the first bits of computer art were they were actually starting to get to the point of being acceptable within the last couple of updates. I was entirely ready to eat crow if it had continued to improve for a few more months. I am also quite worried about Linda as I've got a sneaking suspicion that her health might be part of it though I do not have any proof and the letter did bear both names.

This whole thing with the heartstrings and the payment system is quite odd and possibly scummy? It was a bit hard to get a read on what the plan is there. Also if the landing page is permanent I doubt many new folks will find the archives on accident - which is too bad as Book 1 was a legitimately good story and even Book 2 had its moments.