Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the truth
Dec 16, 2007

It was an above average movie overall, and Leo will probably get his Oscar. However, the main takeaways for me were the cinematography and Tom Hardy. I thought the bear looked great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I've never seen a movie with as much outdoor pissing as this one. Nearly every act started with some dude taking a leak

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

the truth posted:

It was an above average movie overall, and Leo will probably get his Oscar. However, the main takeaways for me were the cinematography and Tom Hardy. I thought the bear looked great.

I think Leo is getting it too, and while I thought he did a very good job in this I think he's going to win mostly because there doesn't seem like there's any particular buzz about any other leading actors this year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The_Rob posted:

Hearing that the plot is thin, and the visuals tell the story is really exciting for me. That kind of movie is exactly what I am looking for. One of my favorite films is The Red and The White, which is a movie told almost entirely in visuals with no real plot to speak of. Plot is the least interesting aspect of a film to me, so I am on board.

The plot is not really thin, it's just a bit overextended. It's a long rear end movie in need of some editing. It's more than 2.5 hours of runtime with less than 2 hours of content...and even the cinematography can overstay it's welcome after the 100th upward shot of trees.

It's a great movie, but the tension of the first 30 minutes is not properly sustained for the duration.

There are moments of crummy exposition where the exact opposite of 'visuals telling story' is the case.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
I enjoyed the film, but to be honest I would've preferred if the movie ended the way the real Hugh Glass story ended.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

the truth posted:

That was my reaction leaving the theatre, I also didn't need endless flashbacks to his wife, once or twice would have been enough. I wasn't bored but I think it would have benefited from losing 10-20 minutes.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Weebly posted:

I've never seen a movie with as much outdoor pissing as this one. Nearly every act started with some dude taking a leak

Another reason why Alejandro González Iñárritu should adapt Blood Meridian.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked The Holy Mountain homage during a flashback/dream. Quite cool.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Lord Krangdar posted:

Another reason why Alejandro González Iñárritu should adapt Blood Meridian.

As much as I think he could pull this off after seeing The Revenant, I don't see how you could tell Blood Meridian in 2.5 hours without losing some of the pacing that makes the book great. And I don't know who could play Judge Holden in a repulsive enough way to live up to the character. If a Blood Meridian movie was ever made, I don't know that I could stomach sitting through it no matter how good it is.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

While you could convey the general plot in a shorter runtime, you'd completely lose the meditative aspect and the mystical sense in Glass's journey. Complaining about upward shots of trees feels like taking issue with slow dolleys through environments in Tarkovsky films. You'd maintain the basic plot and maybe make things less repetitive for people who weren't clicking with the film, but you'd lose everything that makes them great.

This was far and away my favorite film of the year, and several years prior as well. Didn't expect anything to top Mad Max, but this left everything else in the dust.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
When the bear finally died but then rolled over on top of him everybody in the audience laughed.
Sheesh, talk about having a bad case of the Mondays.

Also, was it me, or were those Indians pretty crack shots with arrows? drat, who needs flinklock guns when you can just no-scope with some bow and arrow from beyond the horizon and nail people square in the adam's apple?

A few parts that felt predictable:
Kidnapped indian daughter is inevitably gonna get raped in some awkward scene, then the rapist is gonna get his balls chopped off.

Scalping survivor badguy gets scalped again, after getting the Rasputin treatment by Leonardo DiCaprio.

Everybody nice or helpful to Leo's character dies horribly (well, except that young kid). His son, the indian guy that helps him, the Captain...the second the Captain says "we gotta go get Fitzgerald before he hauls rear end to Texas" I knew that dude was hosed.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Incredible film. Never felt like it overstayed its welcome and enthralled me the whole way through. The cinematography was unparalleled.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it was really pretty at times, but as a whole I don't know how much I liked the natural light thing. it just looked really muddy a lot of the time. When it worked it worked really well, but I found it physically hard to look at half of the movie.

I watched Sicario the night before and the cinematography in that blew the Revenant out of the water imo.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

While you could convey the general plot in a shorter runtime, you'd completely lose the meditative aspect and the mystical sense in Glass's journey. Complaining about upward shots of trees feels like taking issue with slow dolleys through environments in Tarkovsky films. You'd maintain the basic plot and maybe make things less repetitive for people who weren't clicking with the film, but you'd lose everything that makes them great.

The difference is Tarkovsky films are slow and meditative from the outset, and the contemplative metaphorical imagery is central to his films.
In this, those asides feel like something that's been tacked on to a much more conventional, ultra-intense action movie.
I think those elements are very superficial here, which is why I'd rather they were cut down to make a tighter film.

If I compare this to something like Malick's The Thin Red Line, which similarly swings between slow contemplative material and very intense combat sequences, I think that movie is much richer thematically, and the digressions feel earned.
The Revenant feels very hollow by comparison.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bullet3 posted:

If I compare this to something like Malick's The Thin Red Line, which similarly swings between slow contemplative material and very intense combat sequences, I think that movie is much richer thematically, and the digressions feel earned.
The Revenant feels very hollow by comparison.

Totally fuckin agreed here, also Malick looks for fortunate accidents captured on film to integrate during the editing process...whereas Inarritu envisions a scene framed in his head that perhaps involves a crow on a branch above Glass, he then has a CGI crow inserted.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
I liked it, beautiful cinematography. I'd agree its too long, could have used at least 30 minutes shaved off the run time. Going to see Hateful Eight in a couple of days too, so its a good week for snowy westerns.

Out of curiosity did anybody else struggle to understand a lot of the dialogue? I'm wondering if it was just our showing, everyone I went with seemed to have a hard time of it, all the actors seemed overly mumbly. I personally didn't mind too much, it wasn't such a dialogue driven film, but some of the others were really put off by it.

Glass seemed to go through two very specific rebirths (is rebirth even the right word, considering he was basically a corpse powered by hate?), I was wondering what folk thought of that. The first when he woke up in the wooden shelter, which seemed, maybe due to the directly cutting from the image of the ruined afterlife/dream church, to be be leaning on the image of Christ's coming out of the cave after however many days dead. Then the second, a more "pagan" rebirth, where he pulls himself out of a very vagina-looking opening in a horse (which might not be based on any direct religious parallel?). This maybe relates to Glass' dual nature as a white dude and somebody who was happy to or, even preferred to, live amongst the Native Americans, and how he needed both these sides of himself to push himself onwards to mess up Fitzgeralds whole deal?

Panfilo posted:

When the bear finally died but then rolled over on top of him everybody in the audience laughed.
Sheesh, talk about having a bad case of the Mondays.

Yeah that got a laugh in my cinema too , although at least people seemed to be laughing with the scene, not at it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That is Domnhall Gleeson.

It's sort of his breakout year landing roles in a pile of films such as Star Wars and Ex Machina

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

He's been doing good movies for a while now. Frank, Dredd, Calvary and such.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Uhhh, who was he in Dredd? Missed that one.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
He was the hacker with the weird eyes.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
The imagery here does not make an emotional imprint at all. It is purely aesthetic.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
"When the gently caress am I getting an Oscar already? What do I gotta do, get hosed by a bear?"

-Leonardo DiCaprio, March 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

He was the hacker with the weird eyes.

Woah. I never even made that connection and I've seen that movie like 10 times. I just recognized him as the guy from Black Mirror in Ex Machina, and now he's just the guy that is in everything I watch it seems haha. Which is cool because I think he's a good actor.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Why the spiral? The image it was taken from was the dead/empty snail shells. Was it that Glass wasn't going to go through a renewing 'circle of life', but that the tradgedy he suffered and his overwhelming desire for revenge was taking or trapping him into the center of the spiral, a dead and empty life?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Judakel posted:

The imagery here does not make an emotional imprint at all. It is purely aesthetic.

I think this is a bit harsh...but I sort of agree with you.

Also, just wanna get this out of the way: your posts in the Sicario thread were some lame poo poo. Try harder.

NESguerilla posted:

I think it was really pretty at times, but as a whole I don't know how much I liked the natural light thing. it just looked really muddy a lot of the time. When it worked it worked really well, but I found it physically hard to look at half of the movie.

I watched Sicario the night before and the cinematography in that blew the Revenant out of the water imo.

I absolutely love Deakins' work on that movie, and I liked Sicario better in general...but the photographer in me knows you're wrong (yes, your opinion is wrong!). Now, if you were arguing editing and thematic juxtaposition between the two films then I'd totally agree.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 12, 2016

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think this is a bit harsh...but I sort of agree with you.

Also, just wanna get this out of the way: your posts in the Sicario thread were some lame poo poo. Try harder.

I absolutely love Deakins' work on that movie, and I liked Sicario better in general...but the photographer in me knows you're wrong (yes, your opinion is wrong!). Now, if you were arguing editing and thematic juxtaposition between the two films then I'd totally agree.

I don't care. Bad, simplistic movie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's amazing how this movie completely dragged for me (I kept having flashbacks to Joel screaming "DO SOMETHING!" half the movie), but Hateful 8 felt like a smooth sit. The second half of the movie gained some energy that Leo-Staring-and-Wheexzing lost, but wasn't enough.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 12, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just got back from this, I loved it. The all-natural lighting was a great choice - I don't think a movie has ever made me feel colder than this one did, and I can't imagine how bad it must have sucked to film for long periods of time. There were a few moments that felt a bit on the nose, but overall I can't do much more than nitpick things. Gleeson and Hardy are killing it this year, and DiCaprio's physical acting was great as well. This has been a really good year for absolutely gorgeous camerawork.

The rest of the audience was dead quiet for almost all of the movie, though there were some laughs at the Just blink! bit.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
It kind of didn't work very well as a revenge story. Hardy was a murderous shithead, but in the end he was really only slightly more mercenary than everyone else. I didn't find myself sharing in Leo's death-defying hatred of him. I identified more with the doctor who told him to get some drat rest.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Gleeson deserves every ounce of praise he gets. Hardy does too, but I feel like Gleeson's performance is way underrated-his anger is visceral and real when he's searching the fort for Fitzpatrick.

Also: Was the visual quoting of That Scene from Irreversible during the bear mauling intentional? If so, what is it supposed to mean?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Saw it finally and it was good but I think I overhyped myself too much. Movie was beautiful. For sure deserves some awards for cinematography and special effects. The lighting always felt perfect for the scene. I don't think any of the roles were meaty enough to commend anyone there, but I totally understand the viewing DiCaprio as a good actor rather than a great one. Every time he was on screen it was like, "drat, dude is acting his rear end off there." Meanwhile Gleeson and Hardy are just falling so naturally into their characters that you don't even really notice the acting until you think about it later. Which isn't the kind of showy stuff that garners awards, but is the type of thing that takes tremendous natural talent and commitment to acting as a craft. It's why Ledger won for Batman and not for Brokeback Mountain despite the latter being a much more difficult role to make work and be taken seriously.

And that thing about "DiCaprio is super famous so he could never disappear into a role!" is ridiculous. Bale can do it. Gyllenhaal can do it. Ledger could do it. Tons of people can do it. DiCaprio is great at imitating but he sucks at becoming, and that's what separates good actors from great ones. He's a solid, consistent performer. There's nothing wrong with that except he clearly wants to be more of a Brando than a... I dunno, Wahlberg.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Bugblatter posted:

While you could convey the general plot in a shorter runtime, you'd completely lose the meditative aspect and the mystical sense in Glass's journey.

You know for me, I found little to meditate on compared to another Lubezki film, The New World.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 12, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Boosh! posted:

You know for me, I found little to meditate on compared to another Lubezki film, The New World.

The New World is so good.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

For some reason I've always found it hilarious that they cast an indigenous American as Pocahontas, but she's Quechua.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

For some reason I've always found it hilarious that they cast an indigenous American as Pocahontas, but she's Quechua.

Well, the idea there is more that she's some beautiful model-type.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

the truth posted:

However, the main takeaways for me were the cinematography and Tom Hardy. I thought the bear looked great.

100% agreed. loving incredible cinematography. I can't wait for the bluray. Hardy was definitely as good as Leo, I'd be happy if both won big.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Hardy was better than Leo.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Judakel posted:

Hardy was better than Leo.

I agree, though I feel like he actually had the meatier part because Leo was silently incapacitated for like a half hour of the movie, and totally silent for another half hourish.

Edit: Also Leo's motivations didn't really extend beyond "gently caress Fitzgerald" and "I really love my son/wife" while Hardy's character was actually fairly complex.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 13, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The final scene in that movie makes me super loving emotional...aaaaaaaaaargrrgg...STOP THE FEELINGS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'm surprised that it took till page 4 for someone to bring it up but yeah. Not the biggest Malick fan but I loved it and has so much more going on than the visuals which are just as gorgeous despite not being near the mountains.

• Locked thread