Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

tankadillo posted:

Having slept in a hammock many nights, I can say that your fancy -12degree down sleeping bag will compress underneath you and provide insulation equivalent to a sheet of paper. I've never heard of hammocks designed to put padding inside but those sound like they'd be pretty sweet.

My Blackbird has two layers of fabric, allows you to slip in a thermal blanket\pad\whathaveyou. It's also why I use a purpose built quilt that hangs underneath the hammock and has shockcord to pull it up to you, keeping the insulation nice and lofted. I then use a normal bag like a blanket, the footwell works pretty well to keep it in place when using like a top quilt.

Not exactly cheap, but warm and comfortable as all hell. Given that I actually use them for maybe 10 days a year on the outside they should last me a very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

TouchyMcFeely posted:

If you're interested in trying out hammock camping on the cheap, keep an eye on the Sports section of Woot. They have Yukon brand camping hammocks and rain flies all the time.

Also, if you're on Reddit, there is a whole hammock camping subforum that explodes everytime Woot puts their hammocks on sale.

For Canada, do they not allow any type of tree attachment or would something like Atlas Straps be ok?

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to try hammock camping but I really want to. Most of my camping is car camping with friends and family which is more about getting drunk in the woods than communing with nature.

I'm sure many places in Canada just don't give a gently caress, it's just the places I usually go have special rules.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

PirateDentist posted:

My Blackbird has two layers of fabric, allows you to slip in a thermal blanket\pad\whathaveyou. It's also why I use a purpose built quilt that hangs underneath the hammock and has shockcord to pull it up to you, keeping the insulation nice and lofted. I then use a normal bag like a blanket, the footwell works pretty well to keep it in place when using like a top quilt.

Not exactly cheap, but warm and comfortable as all hell. Given that I actually use them for maybe 10 days a year on the outside they should last me a very long time.

I sort of regret not getting a double bottomed hammock. I cannot stay on a pad for any length of time, so I am looking at under-quilts. I tend to sleep with my legs drawn up most of the time, so I am thinking a 3/4 quilt might work, but it would suck to spend the money and discover I am wrong.

Is there a place online to buy used hiking/camping stuff? My local craigslist is kinda crap and I don't trust ebay for anything over like ten bucks.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
amazon had a ton of brands of these on sale for 30 bucks shipped with ropes and ties and poo poo included, but they all seemed like the same design with different brands stitched onto the same factory hammock

i dont give a gently caress about pads or warmth, but i do worry about bugs and rain, anyone have a real cheap recommendation for one with a built in rain cover? having to tie a huge tent over your hammock seems dumb, there isn't one that just zips up on top like a water resistant sleeping bag in the air?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

I sort of regret not getting a double bottomed hammock. I cannot stay on a pad for any length of time, so I am looking at under-quilts. I tend to sleep with my legs drawn up most of the time, so I am thinking a 3/4 quilt might work, but it would suck to spend the money and discover I am wrong.

Is there a place online to buy used hiking/camping stuff? My local craigslist is kinda crap and I don't trust ebay for anything over like ten bucks.

You might try the hammock forums for sale board.
https://hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

extra stout posted:

amazon had a ton of brands of these on sale for 30 bucks shipped with ropes and ties and poo poo included, but they all seemed like the same design with different brands stitched onto the same factory hammock

Yea, for a cheap one I usually recommend that $25 blue outdoor hammock at Walmart coupled with some Atlas straps and climbing carabiners. I've been using that as my indoor hang almost daily for about a year with no problems.

quote:

i dont give a gently caress about pads or warmth, but i do worry about bugs and rain, anyone have a real cheap recommendation for one with a built in rain cover? having to tie a huge tent over your hammock seems dumb, there isn't one that just zips up on top like a water resistant sleeping bag in the air?
Do you mean something like a cross between a hammock & a bivy sack?

Turkman
Oct 25, 2015

Retarded Pimp posted:

Not gonna lie, that'd be loving cool.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Uekyq posted:

Not gonna lie, that'd be loving cool.

A quick Googling shows a Kickstart vapor ware, one that leaks and this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Lawson-Hammock-Blue-Ridge-Camping/dp/B002QZXV5S

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Retarded Pimp posted:

You might try the hammock forums for sale board.
https://hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

Yea, for a cheap one I usually recommend that $25 blue outdoor hammock at Walmart coupled with some Atlas straps and climbing carabiners. I've been using that as my indoor hang almost daily for about a year with no problems.

i dont know what a bivy sack is, honestly i just want a cheap hammock with a tarp that secures over it so i dont wake up with animals or water or bird poo poo, crazy to think that these people arent ahead of me on this idea and everybody puts 10 feet of wood and tent poles and poo poo in their backpack

might have to do some inventing of my own

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Dude even a cheap tarp weighs like 10oz.

Turkman
Oct 25, 2015

Retarded Pimp posted:

A quick Googling shows a Kickstart vapor ware, one that leaks and this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Lawson-Hammock-Blue-Ridge-Camping/dp/B002QZXV5S

This is something I'd like to see more products like. I'm not so certain about that exact design but I think the whole idea is still neat.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Why not tent and hammock?

http://m.rei.com/product/874682/tentsile-stingray-tree-tent

Other than cost.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

On one hand I sort of understand how that could be fun to setup in your backyard for the kids to play in.

On the other hand, jesus that's dumb.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

extra stout posted:

i dont know what a bivy sack is, honestly i just want a cheap hammock with a tarp that secures over it so i dont wake up with animals or water or bird poo poo, crazy to think that these people arent ahead of me on this idea and everybody puts 10 feet of wood and tent poles and poo poo in their backpack

might have to do some inventing of my own

A bivy sack is kind of like a cross between a sleeping bag and a one man tent.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bivouac_sack

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Two years ago I did a week on the AT and I had serious sliding downwards problems in my Blackbird. I'd set the foot end 6" higher and I'd still slide downward. So last year I went with a tent setup and a Neoair Xtherm. I ended up sliding around inside the tent like a zamboni every night.

I loved the hiking but I dreaded getting into camp each afternoon because I just couldn't sleep comfortably. Maybe I should've hiked longer and gotten more tired?

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I loved the hiking but I dreaded getting into camp each afternoon because I just couldn't sleep comfortably. Maybe I should've hiked longer and gotten more tired?

Nah, you should just sleep in your backyard every night so that you're used to it.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Two years ago I did a week on the AT and I had serious sliding downwards problems in my Blackbird. I'd set the foot end 6" higher and I'd still slide downward. So last year I went with a tent setup and a Neoair Xtherm. I ended up sliding around inside the tent like a zamboni every night.

Did you lay diagonally?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Retarded Pimp posted:

Did you lay diagonally?

Yep, feet in the footbox. I remember also trying the ballerina pose or whatever it's called: didn't seem to make a difference.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I'm looking into purchasing my first underquilt. I'm cheap as poo poo but too lazy for DIY.

I was looking at the Snugpak Underblanket but then saw the Snugpak Hammock Cocoon.

Does anyone have any info or insight on one vs the other, pros/cons etc?

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I ended up sliding around inside the tent like a zamboni every night.

Thank you for this image.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

...and just like that, Yukon Hammocks and rainflys are back on sale at woot.

http://sport.woot.com/plus/yukon-outfitters-hammocks-17?ref=sp_cnt_wp_3

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

TouchyMcFeely posted:

...and just like that, Yukon Hammocks and rainflys are back on sale at woot.

http://sport.woot.com/plus/yukon-outfitters-hammocks-17?ref=sp_cnt_wp_3

Those are surprisingly nice hammocks. I've picked up a bunch of them over the past couple years and given them out as starter gifts for family and friends to get started with hammock camping. Several of them are still kicking after 2-3 years of use.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I used the rainfly last year on a trip with no problem, it's a bit small for something like the big 11ft Blackbird, but it fits the mosquito hammock just fine. Some zing-it cord, line locks, and Dutch flys make for a quick setup.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Those are surprisingly nice hammocks. I've picked up a bunch of them over the past couple years and given them out as starter gifts for family and friends to get started with hammock camping. Several of them are still kicking after 2-3 years of use.

thanks to guy who posted the link, ozzie which tree straps do you use? i was pretty pumped to buy that mosquito net one but the comment says it doesn't come with straps, gotta check how much a decent pair will cost me before i click the button

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I'm partial to Atlas Straps but I'm too lazy to learn proper knots.

You will find that when it comes to straps there's as many opinions are there are options and they all work pretty well.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Yea, Atlas straps are easy and work pretty good, get some climbing carabiners and you're good to go.
That's what I'm hanging from right now along with an Equip outdoor hammock from walmart.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

extra stout posted:

thanks to guy who posted the link, ozzie which tree straps do you use? i was pretty pumped to buy that mosquito net one but the comment says it doesn't come with straps, gotta check how much a decent pair will cost me before i click the button

Honestly, I've mostly used the multiple sets of tree straps I've picked up from Hennessy Hammocks over the years. I've had a Expedition Asym for years and picked up different length straps for it and swapped 'em out with other hammocks. I just picked up a set of Atlas straps this summer, but only got to use them once. They were fairly easy, but a lot heavier, and not that much easier given the weight and space difference. I just picked up a DutchWare buckle system thing of some kind that I have no idea how to set up yet, but it's supposed to be the bee's knees. I gotta look that poo poo up on YouTube sometime.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 13, 2016

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Retarded Pimp posted:

I've been using that as my indoor hang almost daily for about a year

Retarded Pimp posted:

That's what I'm hanging from right now

do you not have a bed

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Beds are for squares.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

turevidar posted:

do you not have a bed

Yes, and a hammock too.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Retarded Pimp posted:

Yes, and a hammock too.

Indoor hammock in the summer is great. A nice cool shower then into the hammock is awesome on a hot night.

I live in Phoenix, so outdoor hammock when it's 110 outside is not really a sane option.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Picnic Princess posted:

Tying to trees is illegal in our parks up here, so it's either tent or tarp unless you're on crownland. Which is boring so no one I know even owns a hammock for backcountry or camping. Even hunters don't bother. Hammocks are just not a thing up here.

Is this in the provincial parks? I've never seen any signs or anything.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

PirateDentist posted:

Indoor hammock in the summer is great. A nice cool shower then into the hammock is awesome on a hot night.

I live in Phoenix, so outdoor hammock when it's 110 outside is not really a sane option.
Outdoor anything in a Phoenix summer isn't sane, now's the time to go out and do stuff there. Where the hell do you hang from around there? Saguaro aren't exactly tree strap friendly.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Retarded Pimp posted:

Outdoor anything in a Phoenix summer isn't sane, now's the time to go out and do stuff there. Where the hell do you hang from around there? Saguaro aren't exactly tree strap friendly.

I know some people hang from trees in parks for an afternoon. My outdoor time is on a stand I built for my balcony that's nice most of the year. Unless you head north that's about it unless you're near water. I like getting out to the national forest a couple times a year, get up to about 7k feet in the pines.

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 17, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I love my hammock. Use a Grand Trunk Skeeter-Beater which has a built in bug net, is well constructed, and super comfy.

Still trying to figure out the underquilt thing. I got one from DD hammocks and found myself quite cold most of the night. Not sure if I set it up incorrectly, but I was less than pleased. Gonna try it out again later in preparation for a weekend trip I'm going on in a few weeks. If I can't get it to work well enough I may drop coin for a heavy duty down UQ. Maybe Jack'sRBetter's Mt Washington model which looks straight up luxurious.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Can someone explain 3/4 vs full length under quilt? Other than weight savings, is there some reason you wouldn't want your feet or head insulated from the bottom?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Can someone explain 3/4 vs full length under quilt? Other than weight savings, is there some reason you wouldn't want your feet or head insulated from the bottom?

It's really just weight and size reduction.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Crazyeyes posted:

I love my hammock. Use a Grand Trunk Skeeter-Beater which has a built in bug net, is well constructed, and super comfy.

Still trying to figure out the underquilt thing. I got one from DD hammocks and found myself quite cold most of the night. Not sure if I set it up incorrectly, but I was less than pleased. Gonna try it out again later in preparation for a weekend trip I'm going on in a few weeks. If I can't get it to work well enough I may drop coin for a heavy duty down UQ. Maybe Jack'sRBetter's Mt Washington model which looks straight up luxurious.
It's probably the setup, you have to get how tight the ends are right, if it's too loose you'll have a droopy gap while laying, if it's too tight it'll bunch up and cause gaps. It helps to have someone else in it while adjusting.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I am tempted to go that way as I sleep with my knees drawn up to my chest, but I am leery of spending the money on something that might not work.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

TouchyMcFeely posted:

When camping in a tent a 3/4 sleeping pad is lighter to carry and then you just throw the top of your pack under your feet. It is pretty slick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Crazyeyes posted:

Mine is suspended with shock cord so it's tight and snug against me when I'm laying down. It holds the hammock up if I'm not in it. The wind tended to catch mine and pull it out from under me, but it has extra loops along the edges so I have a second bit of shock cord going over the ridgeline to add extra support and that hasn't happened since. Where are you cold? All over or just the bottom?

• Locked thread