Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I never really got the nostalgia for Super Metroid, which I always found vastly overrated - that literally added one good thing to gaming, the huge map to explore (love 'vanias, though). This looks pretty interesting though, without all the "shoot completely random blocks to progress" bullshit.
What I'm saying is better you than me and I'll be watching this. Especially since what little I've seen seemed pretty goddamn hard.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

Plus it hid some things REALLY well.
You say well, I say bullshit. I don't think I can ever get over all the "this block looks exactly like any other block but can be shot/bombed/passed through every full moon". I love 2D exploratory games but I'm really glad we moved away from that.
Also, powerups start feeling pointless after a certain threshold and that threshold gets lower as you get better at the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It becomes problematic if looking for them is all the game has to offer. Sidequests work because they are just that - side activities you can or can't take on in addition to the main storyline. Now, you probably can play through Super Metroid "linearly", getting just the progress upgrades, but that's a tiny portion of it and not a very strong one - everyone is praising the thing for exploration, and that's rewarded by getting missile no.238.
Modern 'vanias expanded on it: there are different functioning weapons, there's lore, easter eggs, stuff building upon the gameplay instead of not adding anything or even reducing it.
I basically just don't think the Metroid games aged well.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

On one hand I agree that the style hasn't aged well but on the other hand that wild sense of 'exploratory mystery' has only gotten diluted since then.
See that's what I think is the nostalgia and games like SotN just did it better period. There you get new weapons and tricks, here it's: secret? Oh, rockets again.
I'm not denying (super) Metroid's importance or influence, just saying it's not a very good game.

e: Uh, done bitching, this actually looks somewhat fun with the hookshot gameplay - if the other upgrades are as cool, it might be alright.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 3, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love how this is set in deep future space and they still use floppies. That's something could easily happen in a game from the period this seems to want to emulate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The creatures that zap you when you dash remind me a lot of imps from Risk of Rain.

• Locked thread