Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Been meaning to get off my rear end and tie up a backcountry box. So expect a ton of macro shots of poorly tied bugs incoming. Current list of things I’m thinking about packing into an Umpqua Day-Tripper HD:

- Zebra midge #18-22
- Brassie
- Black beauty
- Two-bit hooker
- Poison tung
- jujubaetis
- jujube midge
- Top-secret midge
- rs2
- Hippie stompers #12-14
- Parachute Adams
- Griffith’s gnat
- Beetles
- More hippie stompers
- A streamer of some sort

Realizing now I don’t have any white beads for chronomids, or any scud mats.

Also called up Charlie Craven and ordered his new streamers book, as well as about $130 worth of materials. As I was leafing through the book, it occurred to me that I do not possess a dubbing whirl; apparently an essential tool when tying streamers.

Fellow fisherpeople what’s your go-to/failsafe/“gently caress it. nothing else is working” fly/lure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

4" keitech swing impact in perch on a 3/0 or 4/0 owner twistlock light hook. Weighted or unweighted, whichever works better for my situation.

If I'm in a clear or clearish pond, its my confidence lure that always gets bit. (Note: doesn't really get bit that much more than other baits.)

Edit: In a dark colored pond in the warm months, either a big ol 7-10" curly tail worm on a 7/0 3/8-3/4oz texas rig or a same size magnum standup jig. I'll also throw a 5-7" swimming worm on a bladed swimbait hook if its kinda cloudy and basically not cold as poo poo. Both lures in junebug or green pumpkin laminated under black with blue flake.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 11, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dangerllama posted:

Fellow fisherpeople what’s your go-to/failsafe/“gently caress it. nothing else is working” fly/lure?

Pink trout magnet. If that's not catching anything, it's not meant to be.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Dangerllama posted:

Powerbait natural trout worm wacky on a tiny jig head. If the smallies aren't into that it's time to go home. Caught a 3 pound smallie on a setup meant for stuff half that so it's not just for tiny fish either!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Dangerllama posted:

Snail pattern or leech for wet fly.

Gotta get my dry fly game going and I'll report back to you once I figure that out.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Dangerllama posted:

I assume you're talking about trout here, a pink Tassie Devil or a Rapala spotted dog

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I like to go with the 2.8 fat keitech when I need a bite.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

I assume you're talking about trout here, a pink Tassie Devil or a Rapala spotted dog

Have you ever fished a Buzz Bomb? They seem similar in concept to the Tassie Devil. They're regional salmonid favorites here in the Pacific Northwest, and on odd-numbered years when the humpies are running you can count on pink Buzz Bombs being sold out everywhere.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I tried one sight casting to coho surface dipping pelagic crabs in the straights.
We caught like 10 quickly and 1 random pink.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Have you ever fished a Buzz Bomb? They seem similar in concept to the Tassie Devil. They're regional salmonid favorites here in the Pacific Northwest, and on odd-numbered years when the humpies are running you can count on pink Buzz Bombs being sold out everywhere.

Nah, they aren't sold here.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I assume you're talking about trout here

I'm a trout guy, but whatever you use that catches fish. Lots of interesting answers.

My go-to right is a terrestrial and the most garish bead-head midge imitation I can find, hanging about 18" off the back. I'll fish that in pocket water, pools, lakes, whatever.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

the desperation move is a wacky rigged senko

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Ghostnuke posted:

the desperation move is a wacky rigged senko

Yeah, or one of my homemade spinners. I find colour rarely matters honestly, at this point I think I just use different beads and designs on the spoon for my own entertainment

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The Denver South Platte is less than 10 miles from my house.

I’m getting desperate, you guys.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

After 2 long months without catching a fish, I finally got some today. My wife needed a change of scenery so we packed up the family and headed up north to spend some time with my family. I met up with my cousin this morning and we met up with his 2 friends at a beach in Monterey county and we caught a bunch of stripers today. I landed 4 (3 legal) and lost one, 16 landed for the group (we kept 5). The big one was 30 inches. Great times! It was my first time catching a fish in the surf and also my first time catching a legal striper. Here's some pics-

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ahhhhhhhh west coast stripers ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Surf fishing loving rules and I'm super jealous. Nice fish there and I'm glad you and your family are doing okay!

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
https://imgur.com/wxOFack

Caught this little guy this afternoon on the Kaweah River.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

After a fairly boring day studying I headed down to the local to stretch the arms and legs doing a bit of casting.

The swell was up a bit more than the forecast suggested and my plan to use a Richter plug on the surface was shelved quickly.

It's a pretty featureless beach and finding structure is a pain in the arse, but eventually I picked a spot where the smaller waves weren't breaking (the big ones broke like there was no difference in the depth however) and I figured it might be a very shallow gutter. I peppered it with lures for about 15 minutes and eventually the slug got smashed and after the usual tussle I got a nice sambo on the sand

Turned out I'd matched the hatch fairly well, when I cleaned it he was full of whatever these little baitfish are which were almost the exact same size as the Halco Outcast I was throwing.

My phone has decided it will no longer take photos that are in focus so you'll have to put up with a blurry looking fish, sorry.

I cooked it up in flour which I'd added some ginger, chili, garlic and citric acid to, came up a treat.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I just realized the non-slip loop knot is basically a clinch knot that just uses an overhand knot to create a new “eye” to tie on to and it’s blowing my mind.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Got out on the yak today. Ended up with 19 whiting, 9 garfish, 2 tommy rough and a squid. Pretty good day on the water.

Some fuckwit decided to park right next to me when he saw me getting fish, I could've touched his boat if I had a surf rod with me he was that close. I kept catching fish and he didn't a get a thing, funniest day I've had on the water in a long time.

Got a lot of filleting to do

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Tommy Rough?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Tommy Rough?

*Tommy ruff

Auto correct stikes again

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_herring

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It is not biologically related to the herring family Clupeidae.

Australian herring
Tommy Ruff 1.PNG
Scientific classification edit
Kingdom:
Animalia
Phylum:
Chordata
Class:
Actinopterygii
Order:
Perciformes
Family:
Arripidae
Genus:
Arripis
Species:
A. georgianus
Binomial name
Arripis georgianus
(Valenciennes, 1831)
Synonyms[1]
Centropristes georgianus Valenciennes, 1831

In Australia, additional vernacular names used for this fish include bull herring, herring, rough, ruffies, sea herring, tommy, tommy rough and South Australian roughy. Ruff is the global fisheries name used by the Food and Agriculture Organization.

Lol looks like you can call it anything you want except late to dinner.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Dangerllama posted:

Silver 1/16oz Johnson Min-o-spin. I don't think there's a common local freshwater species I haven't caught on it. If I throw that in a spot for 10 - 15 mins and don't catch poo poo, then I assume there's no poo poo to catch.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Yeah there's a lot of fish like that. Probably doesn't help that the commercial fishers want to call everything by some tasty sounding name instead of their proper name. Nobody wants to eat jewfish or mulloway, but butterfish? Sounds delicious.

Heaps of our species are named after old world species they vaguely resemble too, even though they are no relation.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Heaps of our species are named after old world species they vaguely resemble too, even though they are no relation.

Confused the hell out of me the first time some of y'all started posting about catching gar or salmon :lol:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

the yeti posted:

Confused the hell out of me the first time some of y'all started posting about catching gar or salmon :lol:

Fish are probably the worst for it but there's a bunch of other things that have been given a name like '[something]'s mouse' when they're actually a marsupial and have nothing to do with actual mice/rodents

Colonists were dumb

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pacific West Coast Dover Sole is actually Slime Sole. loving market names are dumb.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microstomus_pacificus

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I caught a new species this morning in the bay, woop woop. Behold, the sargo!

My size 11 boot for comparison.

That thing fought great! I was fishing my medium power spinning rod with a 6 lb leader so I couldn't horse him in. He got wrapped up in some plants at the shoreline but I had my rubber boots on so I was able to get down and extract him.

Bonus pic: the tiniest halibut I've caught so far. After the bite died down at the first spot, I went over to fish for some dinks on my trout rod. The bait in the halibuts mouth is a 1/16 oz trout mini jig. SO CUTE.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

What county you in again?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

What county you in again?

San Diego

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Last year for my Christmas gift, my wife rented us a cabin on a lake but stupid Corona virus ruined it and we had to cancel the trip. We got the refund today and I immediately claimed that money as my own, lol. Many goodies incoming, including a Daiwa Coastal SV TWS (https://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/coastal/index.html)

VERY STOKED.

I loved my Tatula SV... until I ravaged it's poor freshwater innards in the bay.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

my finger slipped and I pushed a button and now I have a reel coming from japan oh god what have I done
https://japantackle.com/casting-reels/daiwa/low-profile-casting-reels/daiwa-20zillion10.html

Its replacing a 7-8 year old revo mgx as my primary setup. The mgx is moving to a different rod, gonna ride that fucker till it dies. (Not like it owes me anything anymore given how hard I've ridden it.) Here's hoping I get the same kinda life outta the daiwa. :haw:

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

my finger slipped and I pushed a button and now I have a reel coming from japan oh god what have I done
https://japantackle.com/casting-reels/daiwa/low-profile-casting-reels/daiwa-20zillion10.html

Its replacing a 7-8 year old revo mgx as my primary setup. The mgx is moving to a different rod, gonna ride that fucker till it dies. (Not like it owes me anything anymore given how hard I've ridden it.) Here's hoping I get the same kinda life outta the daiwa. :haw:

drat! 10:1 gear ratio. That's wild. I bet the teeth on that gear are so tiny.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've got a abu rocket 10:1 and honestly, its not much different inside than a standard lowpro baitcaster. The pinion is a tad smaller and the ring gear is bigger, but overall pretty average looking. I am excite. :kimchi:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Not my fish but a friend got a couple of bluefin tuna from the kayak over the weekend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtXdnJoH2T4

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Got skunked all day on the South Platte except for…a personal best Brown. Trout, how do they work?

Granted, it doesn’t help that my prime fishing hours tend to be between 10am and 4pm.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Got skunked all day on the South Platte except for…a personal best Brown. Trout, how do they work?

Granted, it doesn’t help that my prime fishing hours tend to be between 10am and 4pm.

If you want, I tend to run around Big T, St. Vrain, and boulder creek. Feel free to tag along if you want! Occasionally I hit up Clear Creek between Golden and Idaho Springs.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

3 days ago a package left Yokohama Jay aye pan headed to florida. It reached Cincinnati Ohio that same day where dhl sat on it for 24 hours before moving it to florida and to me late yesterday. 2 day shipping from japan when I paid as little as possible in shipping? Yeah, I'm ok with that.

Kind of a bog standard box for their step below halo reel, but whatevah! The squiggly lines at the top left apparently says "fresh wave only" according to google translate.

Inside was this fancy rear end thing! Heavier than I was expecting, but still feels lighter than its closest (read: only) direct competitor, the abu garcia rocket. Fit and finish were top notch, which is to be expected at its price point. It feels way more refined than the rocket which feels like a $150 reel that they put 10:1 gears in and doubled the price on. (Note: my rocket may have been a friday afternoon job given I had to tune up a couple things upon getting it)

I really hope there wasn't anything important in these directions! Luckily I found a set translated into like 4 different languages in the box upon further inspection.

So yeah, that's all nice, but how does it cast? This is my first daiwa low profile baitcaster and it took a few swings to get in the groove. The zero adjuster concept is weird, but once I got it where I wanted it I didn't have to touch it again when switching from side arm, overhand and pitching. Instead you rely on the MAGFORCE-Z BRAKING to do its job and do the fine tuning with the magnetics dial. Its recessed absolutely perfectly for where my thumb falls while palming the reel allowing me to adjust quickly without taking the reel out of my hand. Or taking the damned side plate off (LOOKIN AT YOU HERE SHIMANO). Once I figured out the right combo of magnetics, thumb and chunkin force I needed to be using, I noticed about an extra 5 ft on my casts which was a nice bonus, but overall irrelevant given how little I need to just absolutely hurl a bait with this setup.

I did my testing with a fresh spool of dark green 30lb sunline x-plasma asegai braided line, an ark rods sniper 7'3" mag mh rod and a cheapo 3/8 oz spinner bait as a casting plug. It casts beautifully and once you have it dialed in its just cast after cast with no backlash. Now I just need to get it on the water. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

gamera009 posted:

If you want, I tend to run around Big T, St. Vrain, and boulder creek. Feel free to tag along if you want! Occasionally I hit up Clear Creek between Golden and Idaho Springs.

I’ve been meaning to check out the Thompson and St. Vrain. May take you up on this sometime. I need to get out of my Deckers rut.

Do those mostly fish like freestones?