Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The quest for a cheaper senko seems to be an eternal one. Try Z-man Zlinkers, which will loose all their salt after an hour or so, then set them aside and make ned rigs out of them. Savage Gear sells an "Armor Worm" that has some mesh in the middle. They get good reviews but have limited color options. Thirdly, look up the various o-ring solutions for wacky rigging. And lastly, there is a glue/solvent called Mend-it that melts and rebonds ripped senkos perfectly.

However, anyone with a bass pond in their yard gets zero fuckin sympathy you lucky jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

The quest for a cheaper senko seems to be an eternal one. Try Z-man Zlinkers, which will loose all their salt after an hour or so, then set them aside and make ned rigs out of them. Savage Gear sells an "Armor Worm" that has some mesh in the middle. They get good reviews but have limited color options. Thirdly, look up the various o-ring solutions for wacky rigging. And lastly, there is a glue/solvent called Mend-it that melts and rebonds ripped senkos perfectly.

However, anyone with a bass pond in their yard gets zero fuckin sympathy you lucky jerk.

It's actually a reservoir fed by a river so it doesn't matter how many I gill hook, there's a constant supply.

(Except to my soul)

Sounds good, I'll explore some options at the Bass Pro Shop tomorrow. It's right by my Dr.'s appt.

Also I cannot use wacky anything, everything has to be T-rigged weightless because of intense weed, log, and stick cover here. I can't put a 1/8 oz tungsten bullet on my rig without fishing up some nasties.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Have you tried t-rigged Power Worms or Culprit Worms? They might work and are cheaper. Also pick up a pack of Zoom Super Flukes in whatever color was working in senkos. They lack the magic shimmy of a senko but they have similar action when worked. There is also a small manufacture called Blitz Baits that sells a "Sassy Stick" that some people claim is as good as a senko.

I spent most of the summer fishing weightless t-rigged plastics and my top performers were flukes and Rage Menace Grubs. The Rage stuff isnt cheap, but is cheaper then senkos and more durable.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Have you tried t-rigged Power Worms or Culprit Worms? They might work and are cheaper. Also pick up a pack of Zoom Super Flukes in whatever color was working in senkos. They lack the magic shimmy of a senko but they have similar action when worked. There is also a small manufacture called Blitz Baits that sells a "Sassy Stick" that some people claim is as good as a senko.

I spent most of the summer fishing weightless t-rigged plastics and my top performers were flukes and Rage Menace Grubs. The Rage stuff isnt cheap, but is cheaper then senkos and more durable.

Nice. Yeah it's weird, with how my fishing area is, if you're casting from the shore you do it at night, in the morning, with no wind, or you're basically just having casting practice. I'll get my shopping list together and hit up bass pro tomorrow.

I'll grab some of their house brand too because people rave about them online.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Sage advice

Well I just spent $70 at Bass pro on their Stick-o's, super flukes, power worms, new hooks, and a real tackle box. You monster.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The bait-monkey is a bastard for sure.

I have been working 12-16h days for a week or so now, at some point during this time I ordered, from ebay, a finesse casting reel from japan. So now I guess I have to buy a rod for it so that I can do the exact same types of fishing my pair of spinning rigs can already cover. I am dumb as hell I guess.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

The bait-monkey is a bastard for sure.

I have been working 12-16h days for a week or so now, at some point during this time I ordered, from ebay, a finesse casting reel from japan. So now I guess I have to buy a rod for it so that I can do the exact same types of fishing my pair of spinning rigs can already cover. I am dumb as hell I guess.

Haha. I tried wacky rigging my usual 5 inch natural shad weedless style today, got nothing. Said gently caress it, switched to a smaller senko black bait with blue and gold flakes since it's sunny, rigged it regular wacky, and nailed a fish on the second drop.

I have no idea which of those things helped but I think darker bait works better in sunny conditions and lighter bait works in darker conditions? Does that make sense?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

More with timing and triggering a feeding response.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

More with timing and triggering a feeding response.

Cool. Well I'll play around with wacky rig for a few days. I've got some hooks I need to use up. Also more bait than anyone could reasonably use non-competitively.

Also can you guys recommend a good hook sharpener? Mine blows.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I just have a little stone with a groove in it. But I almost never fish jigs or other hard baits that aren't disposable, so I almost never use it.

I did start using fancier (Owner, Troker) hooks and they seem to hold a sharp point for as long as they last before I snag and loose them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I used lures measured in ounces and I find that using cheap bronze hooks is the way to go. Just replace as needed and yank straight if hung up.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I just have a little stone with a groove in it. But I almost never fish jigs or other hard baits that aren't disposable, so I almost never use it.

I did start using fancier (Owner, Troker) hooks and they seem to hold a sharp point for as long as they last before I snag and loose them.

I'm a Gamakatsu guy. Any reason to change?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have found that the owner and trokar hooks that have actual bladed points, as opposed to a straight taper like a needle, really work better at punching through plastics. This combined with switching to straight shank hooks whenever I can, seems to have dramatically improved my hook up ratios. I do now tear plastics a lot quicker, but it's a small price to pay in my opinion.

Caught this big boy this morning on like my second cast. I went to this little pond to play with my new finesse casting reel. I am hugely impressed, even with it on a pretty stiff medium action rod I am able to cast small weightless plastics 40 or 50 feet with ease. This is a lure I called the most everything on today, at least until I ran out of the stupid plastics.

It's a Strike King Rage Menace on an Owner 2/0 cutting point hook. This plastic has been super productive for me all summer I think I finally settled on this as the best way to rig it. It's compact enough to cast very easily, skips well, it's salty enough to sink at a reasonable rate, has a ton of action reeled very slowly. Rigging it on the straight shank hook like that does make them pretty fragile but again, totally worth it as I didn't miss a single hook up today.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 20, 2016

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Nice catch Fish bro. Straight shank seems like it would let my worm slide down every cast. I wing those fuckers out there, though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I'm the perch master! I caught maybe three dozen this size this morning and another dozen or two smaller ones. Also caught a couple of small Pickrell and had a huge one on until he bent the hook and got off right about side.

Went out with a bunch of other kayakers and the ones who went to the mouth of the river were catching stripers one after the other. The Severn River in Maryland is on fire right now.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I'm the perch master! I caught maybe three dozen this size this morning and another dozen or two smaller ones. Also caught a couple of small Pickrell and had a huge one on until he bent the hook and got off right about side.

Went out with a bunch of other kayakers and the ones who went to the mouth of the river were catching stripers one after the other. The Severn River in Maryland is on fire right now.

I can't get a bite this week. Doesn't matter what I throw out there.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Spent two days fishing the Potomac. It was tough going until I hit the last spot of the trip, got this guy and a few other small ones.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Spent two days fishing the Potomac. It was tough going until I hit the last spot of the trip, got this guy and a few other small ones.

I lost one in a sunken tree branch because I'm fishing barbless. I put a torn worm and an old hook and reeled that branch in and threw it away after. Felt kinda badass.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hey Bong, some guy I met told me about good pike and musky fishing spots. Got any good tips for me?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
All I have experience with are Chain Pickerel, which are the little babies of the pike family. Around here we catch them in brackish water while fishing for white perch, so on small spinnerbaits and minnow imitators. We also catch them as baycatch when bass fishing, where they mostly hit spinnerbaits and cranks. But, I have caught them in ponds on Ned Rigs and flukes. They do bite through line like bastards, I think proper pike guys use wire leaders? We just suffer through lost lures. Thats pretty much the total of my pike knowledge, other then:

Do Not Lip A Pike!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Also, fish streak continues, got three LBMs today from a pond I have fished hundreds of times. This brings my total in this pond to 5. No idea why I keep coming but today it worked out.

Small:

Medium:

Large:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Also, fish streak continues, got three LBMs today from a pond I have fished hundreds of times. This brings my total in this pond to 5. No idea why I keep coming but today it worked out.

Small:

Medium:

Large:

Well your name is bongwizzard not fishwizzard, I'm not sure why.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I went fishing today!

A nice sunrise to get the day off to a good start:

Couta:

Squid:

Goatfish:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

I went fishing today!

A nice sunrise to get the day off to a good start:

Couta:

Squid:

Goatfish:

I'd like to be supportive but my body is having a visceral reaction due to jealousy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I would like touching a live squid, I just know the texture is gross as gently caress.

Skunked the last two days, had some hits close in to shore in grass but have not made a hookset. I have been messing with my new bait finesse combo and the learning curve is steep.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Don't be a weenie.

The fact that some can bite very painful and squirt ink at your eyes is much worse.

gently caress you humbolt squid.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I don't have any proof, and I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure I spent about 45 minutes trying to catch a turtle.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I don't have any proof, and I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure I spent about 45 minutes trying to catch a turtle.

Bad pic but he was a monster, shell at least 20" around. I got the hook out of him, but it was rough going. Fish become helpless on land, turtles get stronger.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Bad pic but he was a monster, shell at least 20" around. I got the hook out of him, but it was rough going. Fish become helpless on land, turtles get stronger.

Yeah this one was huge. I thought a giant log had washed up on shore until the head and shell dipped into the water. He only came up to look after I went inside.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Trip report:. BPS Stik-o's just nailed two bass in 20 minutes with a wacky rig. Seems like they might be legit. Also I don't envision 4 quarters flying off into the distance when I lose one while casting.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Very nice. I have also heard good stuff about these stickbaits:
http://www.bizzbaits.com/product/sassy-stick/

I just try to never buy senkos not on sale. Outlet Bait and Tackle will sometimes have them for like half off, the good colors go quickly but I have scored some amazing deals by jumping on like when I get a sale email from them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Very nice. I have also heard good stuff about these stickbaits:
http://www.bizzbaits.com/product/sassy-stick/

I just try to never buy senkos not on sale. Outlet Bait and Tackle will sometimes have them for like half off, the good colors go quickly but I have scored some amazing deals by jumping on like when I get a sale email from them.

Cool I'll check them out!

What do you think about wacky vs texas? Wacky seems to get bit and get hooksets much more easily. It's also solved my gut hooking problem too.

I know people say to use the wacky tool, but I feel like that will mess with the presentation of the bait.

Edit:. Guess you can put two rings on overlapping in an X and use that to keep the same hook presentation. Cool.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 5, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have very little wacky experience as I have yet to find a weedless hook I am really happy with. I do have some o-rings that have a small second ring molded on perpendicular to the main ring, so your hook is perpendicular as well. My issue, aside from hook quest, is speed. I am really bad at fishing slowly I can only stand to wacky rig if I am in a really target rich area, like docks or standing trees. I also like to skip them under low tree limbs when kayaking.

I far prefer faster lures and probably fish flukes and Menace grubs like 4:1 vs senkos. I set out last spring to fish them more but could rarely resist swapping out to a fluke or menace after a few dozen fishless casts.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I have very little wacky experience as I have yet to find a weedless hook I am really happy with. I do have some o-rings that have a small second ring molded on perpendicular to the main ring, so your hook is perpendicular as well. My issue, aside from hook quest, is speed. I am really bad at fishing slowly I can only stand to wacky rig if I am in a really target rich area, like docks or standing trees. I also like to skip them under low tree limbs when kayaking.

I far prefer faster lures and probably fish flukes and Menace grubs like 4:1 vs senkos. I set out last spring to fish them more but could rarely resist swapping out to a fluke or menace after a few dozen fishless casts.

My hooks aren't large enough for the flukes and such I bought because my worm hooks only go to 2/0.

Strangely enough, in my very weedy reservoir the wacky rig has been mostly weedless unless I let it settle all the way. I fish it more like a top water Texas except a touch more slowly. I twitch the rod a little and let it drop a foot or two during the reel in and it's getting nailed left and right.

Also I just hit fish #4 with the Stik-o's since I am home around the house and fishing as a break sporadically. They sure do love this fall weather and cool water.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
God I wish I could backyard fish. The farm I am living on has a pond, but it is so full of tadpoles and stunted bluegills that I cant see that there are any bass in there. But, I have never really given it a good hard try. Might grab some minnows and see what's in there.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

God I wish I could backyard fish. The farm I am living on has a pond, but it is so full of tadpoles and stunted bluegills that I cant see that there are any bass in there. But, I have never really given it a good hard try. Might grab some minnows and see what's in there.

Isn't that prime food? If you own it, you should stock it.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Catch a bunch of bluegills and fry them up. They're delicious.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Isn't that prime food? If you own it, you should stock it.

I don't own it. The owners are not opposed to stocking it, but are not going to do it themselves. The urge to stock via bucket biology is getting stronger and stronger, but I have been too lazy to rig a live-well for my car.

Field Mousepad posted:

Catch a bunch of bluegills and fry them up. They're delicious.

They are like 4-6" max, most are super super small.

I should look into pond care and stocking a bit more, it is decently large and like a 2-3 min walk from my front door.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dude a battery operated airator is under $20 at a pet store.

A couple bass will fatten up pretty fast in that environment I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

bongwizzard posted:

I don't own it. The owners are not opposed to stocking it, but are not going to do it themselves. The urge to stock via bucket biology is getting stronger and stronger, but I have been too lazy to rig a live-well for my car.

They are like 4-6" max, most are super super small.

I should look into pond care and stocking a bit more, it is decently large and like a 2-3 min walk from my front door.

It's very much a regional or even by body of water kind of thing, but as someone who fishes spots that have nothing better than average bluegill, I gotta say 4-6" isn't average. I don't eat bluegill unless they're 8", crappie unless they're almost 11".

Do yourself a favor and don't youtube 'huge bluegill' or you'll consider moving to a place where they are the size of a loving pan and bite on corn.