Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Cool thread, here's a fish I caught last week-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I mean, compared to the monsters that inhabit the San Diego river it was a tiny guy. I caught him on a little treble hook baited with white bread. Going catfishing tonight!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Take more photos, I need inspiration to get out there

Out there like, on the SD River, or just out there into the great wild world of nature and fishes?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The great wild world.

Does this get thine wild blood flowing!?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

We picked up one measly catfish on Saturday night. You know it's actually me because I'm coincidentally wearing the exact same thing I was wearing in my other picture, with the carp. The catfeesh was delicious though, excellent breakfast.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Bass are inconsistent! Sometimes they wanna eat the topwater, sometimes no. I think most of my luck has been on a buzz bait.

Since we were talking about braid earlier, braid is great until you have a bad cast. I made a $40 cast the other day during a lunch fishing sesh. Tried to hero cast a grassburner, got a brutal backlash that resulted in my lure flying off into the great beyond, and my braid snapped somewhere down in the spool. By the time I found the loose end, I had a huge mess of spaghetti and had to pull off 140 yards of 30lb power pro :D

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

... and my knot tying.

PALOMAR KNOT TIL I DIE

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Where you bros fishing from?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

How's the fishing over there? Also, in addition to my previous question of where you guys are fishing from, I'd like to ask what your favorite lures are and what your favorite species to catch is. You know, A/S/L. Area/Species/Lure.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

joem83 posted:

How's the fishing over there? Also, in addition to my previous question of where you guys are fishing from, I'd like to ask what your favorite lures are and what your favorite species to catch is. You know, A/S/L. Area/Species/Lure.

To reply to my question:
A: San Diego
S: Bass, but I never catch 'em
L: I love the hollow body frog for the bad cast protection/fishing style, but I've recently fallen in love with the spook

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Senkos are a hot bait out here too, I just rarely have the patience for them. I'm pretty sure if I just dedicated a fishing day to them and I caught some fish I'd feel different about it, but what I love most about bass fishing is how active it is.

I live about 6 minutes away from a really awesome lake, Lower Otay, but it's kind of a lovely lake for shore fishing (edit: also, rattlesnakes) and they're only open Wed/Sat/Sun. It's hard to ditch my family for a full day of fishing on the weekend, so I mostly do short sessions during my lunch breaks in the sketchy rear end San Diego River. I catch a bass every once in a while, but most of the good spots are riddled with drugged out homeless people.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 8, 2017

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I'll have to try fishing them more actively! Everyone says to fish em sllllllooooowwwwwww.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

South west of Seattle about 30 miles.

Crab.

Anything dead.

I'm a simple man.

Crab is hella delicious. You are a good man.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Enigma posted:

South Florida
Snapper
Anything dead

I use palomar for braid -> terminal tackle. Do you guys use it for mono or flouro?

San Diego Jam Knot is my go-to for mono. I like it because tension on the line only tightens the knot, and it works perfectly with low test and high test (and even used it with rope before).

I normally use double uni as my line-to-line knot, but giving FG a try now.

a foolish pianist, I would love to know more about getting into fixed-line fly, including things like budget. I am planning a trip to North Carolina and want to do a little trout fishing, which I have never really done before. Those look like rods that travel really well, which is great because I'd pay more in baggage fees than my rods are worth just to bring any of my own gear.

I tried the FG knot, it was pretty cool, but it was a pain in the butt to tie compared to the alberto knot. I bought a tenkara pole a lil while back, I spent like ~$100 on the kit and it's pretty neat. I used it a bit when I went up to the Stanislaus River last month, but the water was pretty crazy and I just went back to salmon eggs.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

For anyone on the fence about senkos or other plastics I caught 5 bass in roughly an hour, hour and a half of fishing on them the last two days and you KNOW from my posting that I'm only a mediocre fisherman.

They will work if you want to give em a shot.

Now I'm tying on a treble hook and gonna give carp a go. If I don't come back, erase my browser history.

Gotta get that cheap cheap white bread, and if chumming is legal where you fish then chum chum chum chum chum it up!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

sirr0bin posted:

A: Southern Manitoba
S: Catfish and jack fish lately
L: Pickerel rigs (high/low) and spoons

My wife and I typically fish from the shore with pickerel rigs and various bait. Catfish love shrimp from a shrimp ring or leftover chicken. Jack fish bite often on a spoon trolled behind a boat. The yellow one with five diamonds on it is our luckiest.

I haven't caught a pickerel on a pickerel rig in years, doesn't seem to matter the bait. I hear minnows and night crawlers are best but we've tried with no luck and end up going to catfish. They put up a great fight and get massive but they are UGLY.

Here's some pics from the weekend:

Both cats were caught from a dock just outside of Winnipeg. Small guys but lots of fun.

Jack fish from St Malo Lake

Catfish are also delicious. That jack fish looks like he has some TEEF.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I was exploring a new spot on the San Diego river today during my lunch break and I saw a homeless man resting in the shade under a tree next to the river, warming up a can of beans over a tiny fire made of twigs. It was quite beautiful, Norman Rockwell probably woulda painted it or something.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Hurry up and come home from work, wife. I'm ready to go catch a fish so I can post a fish!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Trip report: one bite on the frog, none on the heinously rigged senko! Nor the fluke, or the jig. Womp womp.

*begins to cast a healing spell upon your brain* The Senko was tied on to the green rod (Lew's Mach II). Love that rod/reel combo, wasn't too expensive either.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I've got a 25 pack of superline gamakatsu 4/0's so I just use em for almost everything :D

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Very nice. I want to try a frog but I very rarely see anything bigger than like 2 lbs here. Most seems to be in the 1-2 lb range and some of those seem like it's a bit of an effort to eat a senko.

They make smaller frogs too, perfect for the 1-2 lbers; here's a pic I took for comparison. The chartreuse one is a Bully Wa 65, which is the standard size frog. The black one is a Bully Wa 55, and it's much smaller.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I mean, I'm not interested in being patronized but I love learning new stuff!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Went to the SD bay for a family function. Lost the tails of 3 swimbaits but no spotties! Next time :-D

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Nice yellowtail!

I don't know poo poo about poo poo, as this was my very first time fishing like this, but I think it's a yellowfin tuna! I also landed a nice little bluefin 30 minutes before that. Trip was free, was good times :D

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

22nd St landing?

That was out off of San Clemente island, about 60-70 miles from San Diego. I got an invite from one of my IT vendors to go on an overnight trip for free, along with free food/drinks/beer/gear. It was actually pretty awesome, I had no idea what to expect as I'd never done anything like this before. They didn't weigh my yellowfin, but it was the biggest one caught that day and I'd guess 50+ lbs based on how it felt. All in all, the boat caught 20 bluefin (I landed a small one, too) and 2 yellowfin.

Also, in other posting a fish news: After 3 months of trying, I FINALLY landed a freakin bass on a frog. He was a wee guy, but I was pretttttttttttyyyyy pumped. Here's my old gramps holding it up:

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Did you eat the heart?

Congrats on a nice fish!

They split up the meat between everyone into opaque bags; I tried and failed at finding the yellowfin chunks. Ohhh well.

I didn't eat the heart, but I did give myself a badge of honor on my fishing shirt!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I also caught a fish recently. Somehow I foul hooked him with a frog. Beats me! I didn't even bend the hooks out on that frog.

That day was wild, the bass were feeding soooooo shallow. Literally right at the shoreline, splashing around like carp or something. Big boys, too.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Them's some pretty fish posts, everybody!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

It's not! You just slap on a trailer, then chuck and wind. They're fun, lots of vibration so it's exciting even when you're not catching a fish!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

It's almost trout season in San Diego!! I just got back into fishing within the last year, I missed almost all of it last year.

Here's a fish I caught on Saturday. Nothin like throwing the frog!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I was fishing those Scum brand frogs last weekend. They're honestly not bad for the $6 they cost. They don't walk very easily though, at least compared to a R2S spittin' wa or a Spro spittin shad.

Also, re: chatter bait chat, I had a period where I lost a bunch of them. Felt like they got nasty snags. I'm afraid to fish then most of the time, I just see dollar signs lol.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

The Scum frogs are most definitely super cheap feeling/looking but they do have some merits. The hooks are already pointed up and out, and the skirts are short. They don't take much water on, either. I'm not sure if I'll keep buying them but I can't find anything bad to say other than that they walk lovely. I've found that popping frogs walk easier, try out the R2S Spittin Wa, it's a sweet frog.

Good alternative to a chatter b is a swim jig! I like those.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I caught this 11" son of a bitch on a Ned Rig in a park in the middle of Seattle, and I can finally post in this thread! I am very proud, and very grateful to Mssr. Bongwizzard for turning me on to the Ned Rig. It catches hella bass and the occasional trout, too!

On Saturday I'm going to the coast to stand in the surf to fish for Red Tails. I am so loving excited to get back in my waders.

Nice fish man! Can we get a trip report on the flavor of the meats?

Crazy that you caught him on a ned rig. Although I was watching this youtube fisherman from the town where I grew up, and he caught a trout on a wacky ricked senko, so I guess anything is possible!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Squids, like trouts, are also delicious meats. Man I cannot wait for trout season here in San Diego. I'm gonna treat myself to a new rod and reel before the season starts. I think I'm gonna get a Daiwa Presso rod for maximum mini jig casting, the trout love them here.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I ate a 2lb bass and it was pretty good, man. It was very clean and light.

Every time I go bass fishing it's typically from the shore so I never bring a cooler with me so I don't have anywhere to store the fish. Plus, my backpack + 2 rods is typically enough to hike around with for me.

I want to eat some bass pretty bad though, I've never tried it.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Trout are pretty tasty as far as freshwater fish go, especially if they have been eating a lot of minnows. Stream trout that eat a lot of insects haven't tasted as nice in my experience. There's a bunch of different ways of cooking them but smoking them is pretty amazing. If you have redfin perch/English perch around they are very nice too.

Yeah I love trout, soooo good. The smoked trout at Trader Joe's is actually delicious, albeit expensive. As for stream trout, the stocked rainbows that I catch up in the Sierras are pretty delicious. Coat em in dixie fry or whatever and get some crunch on them babies.

bongwizzard posted:

I am a few hours too far south for native trout, but they do stock a lot around here. I do fish for them but usually throw them back or give them to whomever is around. This year I am gonna skip fishing for the trout and instead focus on fishing for the bass who are hopefully eating the trout. I got this dumb thing;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ5fiY0l-io
And plan on hitting the stocking areas the morning after and try to get some fat girls to bite.

The Tactical Bassin' guys are huge on big swim baits, if you haven't watched their stuff on YouTube I highly recommend it.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 1, 2017

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Any of you guys have some favorite YouTube fishermen? I tend to enjoy a YouTube fishing channel until the Googan Squad shows up, as they always tend to do.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Also speaking of freshwater fish to eat, what kind of rig setup does one use to catch trout in a lake? I've only done so by accident, but I'd love to make city trout a regular part of my diet.

I think it depends on where the trout are cruising. When they're shallow, I know people slay them on the 1/32 mini jigs out here. Carolina rigs are popular, too.

All of my successful trout fishing has been fishing for stocked rainbows up in the mountains, I didn't even realize trout fishing was a thing in San Diego until the end of the last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

My first thought was, I'm so confused, why carp? They must be from the UK.

*scrolls down and sees the link to amazon.co.uk*

Okay that makes sense. More like, United Karpdom, am I right?