Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is there a fly discusso thread too or is this the fishing megathread?

The question behind the question is if anyone has experience with turnaround times on broken Orvis rods.

Content: Here’s a fish.

Here’s where he lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fly pewps: should I buy a seine?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

That feeling when you go to the fly shop and buy $100 worth of tying supplies to “save money” on flies.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

You got off light if you only spent $100

You misunderstand. That was this trip. I decided I needed more materials to tie some frenchies, rainbow warriors, and hippie stompers. Oh, and while I’m here I need some more Antron dubbing for stimulators (I’m working through Charlie Craven’s basic book), and I might as well buy some hackle to do some Adams since that’s next, oh and…

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

:bisonyes: That's what I was expecting. That's the good stuff right there. Have you started keeping an inventory spreadsheet yet?

I would be really into a fly tying / tacklecraft thread. It probably wouldn't move very fast, but it's a fun hobby that you can grow into the more you fish.

Sadly I'm in the "Oh man I have a container of completely disorganized poo poo and have no idea how to make it better" phase of fly tying. I'd love to get my dubbing and delicate stuff (hackle, biots, etc) under control, but I also don't have a ton of space since I literally tie off the side of my desk.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I dig the scotch(?) box to keep your feathers and other long materials in. Definitely stealing that idea.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I'd be down to participate in a tying/traveling fly box thread. How many do we need for this thing to be successful?

Fair warning anything I tie that's not a midge is pretty poo poo.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 23, 2018

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fly pewps. What do you do with your leftover materials that are still useful enough to tie some flies? I have about a dozen biots, 6” of lead-free wire, 8” of brassie wire, some thin-skin, and a coupla hen feathers sitting here.

Tied a handful of copper john’s tonight. Much less complicated than I thought they’d be. With the exception of the goose biots, which are super annoying to handle and tie in on smaller sizes. Here's a #16.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 29, 2018

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

You just saw the results of my efforts so if that’s good enough, I’m down for a traveling fly/material box.

Funny, I’m thinking about switching from hippie stompers to high-vis beetles. I love the look of/name of the hippie stompers. Super buggy, and fun to fish. I’m told beetles are just quicker to tie, float well, and put just as many fish in the net in the high country. :ssh:

If we do a box, I’ll have to tie and throw a bunch in for science.

My arsenal these days is mostly zebra midges, top secret midges, miscellaneous midges, even more midges, rainbow warriors, PT’s, frenchies, hare’s ears, copper john’s, buckskin’s, two-bit hookers, griffith’s gnats, Adams, PMD’s, elk-hair caddis, and mole flies. So expect a bunch of those.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 29, 2018

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Annnnnnnnd then I broke my Recon again. Ironically in the same spot on the river as last time.

This’ll probably be my last Orvis rod.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

gamera009 posted:

I have no idea what trout are like where you're at, but pretty much every time I have fished for trout in Colorado, they are dumb and ravenous. They only slow down in winter, and that's just because their metabolism is so low. I still have luck in the winter though - you just have to cast it in front of them so they open their mouths and inhale. No biggie. :iiam:

Sounds like it’s time to move onto carp.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Same here. I usually just go with a heavy lead fly, maybe a #12-16 GRHE/PT (with lead-free wire) and trail a midge/baetis/whatever they’re clearly not eating that day. My biggest issues are when I’m trying to fish a shelf in faster moving water. Sometimes you need the flies to sink crazy fast to get in the zone. I’ve been trying to fish contact teqniques in faster water where I can get closer to the fish, so in those instances I’ll usually add a split shot about 18” above the lead fly to get things down. So…basically something rigged like an indicator, but with about 2-3’ of RIO indicator tippet instead of a bobber.

If I have to switch to a bobber, I usually just throw it on.

Colorado pewps: The Denver Fly Show is today through Sunday!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pat Dorsey told the audience in his fly tying presentation where we can find Glamour Madeira so today was worth the price of admission.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 6, 2019

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m pretty sure the rod warranty thing is industry standard these days. Broken rod = pay some amount (usually $50 or $60 or whatever), get a repaired rod in a month or two. Doesn’t matter the cause. Mostly I’m just annoyed that I literally had like four or five days on the thing after having gotten it back for a repair in a different location. I feel like the rod is a lemon.

Meanwhile, my Browning Black Canyon 9’ 6-wt appears to be utterly bulletproof.

I’ll probably get a Sage on the next go-around. My 7.5’ 3-wt Pulse is a hoot.

In fly tying news: fuckin’ microfibets :argh:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

January fly fishing is really frustrating. That is all.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yesterday I didn’t change up much. Went up to Deckers and ran a #22 blue poison tung in front of a #22 juju baetis. No love, so I swapped the trailer out for a #24 top secret midge. Still nothing. A guy I passed in the lot just upstream of Deckers said he saw a riser, but I never saw any takes.

Didn’t even see a single fish, so it was less “what are they eating” and more “where the gently caress are they?”

The water is skinny enough that I wasn’t using any extra weight (still touching bottom every once in a while). I assume the fish are stacked up in the deep holes, which all have someone posted up in them by the time it warms up enough to be fishable.

It was packed yesterday.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I’ve been using the Jack’s Knot for the last few months to tie on my flies, and it’s worked great. Strong, simple, low profile, and it’s pretty fast. I can even tie it when my hands are drat near numb. With practice, you can supposedly tie it without looking, I’m not quite there yet, but I can see how you could do it.

This looks interesting for tippet savings and a smaller knot. Usually I just tie a five or six turn clinch knot with my hemos (https://youtu.be/nQs-iL4gHJk). Gets my flies back on the water quickly.

Before I became a civilized person and started using tippet rings, I would usually make my tippet to leader connection with a surgeon’s knot, also tied with my hemos.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Oh hey Colorado raised fishing license rates by 15%.

On the flip side: I am champing at the bit to get out. It’s been two months or something. Got a poo poo load of jujubee midges, juju baetis, radiation baetis, Griffith’s gnats, poison tungs, and a few other patterns tied up. Let’s goooooo!!!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just caught a fish on a wooly bugger for the first time ever. Holy poo poo is streamer fishing fun when they’re actually buying what you’re selling.

Also hooked my middle finger super deep when a cutbow decided to make another run for it after I grabbed him. Pinch your barbs y’all.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

gamera009 posted:

Good day on the St. Vrain.

Nice lookin’ fish. How’s visibility? I rode up Lookout yesterday, and Clear Creek was looking very run-off-y.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Took the day off to go fly fishing on the South Platte. I’m working a standard two-nymph + indicator rig. Guy pops through the bushes to ask for directions to Denver. Then he says, “is that a bobber?”

I snapped my rod in half over my knee, threw it in the river, and drove home.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 17, 2019

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

:thejoke:

Headed up for some high country lake fishing this weekend. Hoping to put my kids on their first trout.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I got to fish today. It was cool and good.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Flows on the South Platte around 600 CFS so, naturally I was catching trout on *checks notes* a #18 PMD

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’d say on average maybe 10-12”

But there are hogs that’ll swallow a #20 brassie if you drift it right.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Have you ever stopped and wondered “how do the fish I catch get to where I catch them?”

Wonder no more.

https://twitter.com/kashthefuturist/status/1159610222148669440

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What a hog. Well done.

Question for the other fly tyers here (particularly western tailwater folks): When you tie a batch of multiple sizes, do you usually go in single size increments or skip sizes? For example, if you’re tying a baetis pattern, would you do #16, #18, and #20, or spread it to #14, #18, #22 and assume a single hook size difference is negligible?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Had a new one today. Fishing a section of water on the South Platte when a guy appears about 40 yards or so downstream of me. It’s the same run-ish, but toward the end of it. On a crowded summer weekend it wouldn’t be a huge deal, but I’m surprised he’s that close on Columbus Day.

No problem, there are a lot of bushes and a bend in the river. And I’m re-rigging on the shore, so he probably didn’t see me.

Then he moves up into the next pocket.

I cough, and make a kind of show of what I’m doing. He doesn’t notice me, or doesn’t pay attention.

Then he moves up into the next seam.

Eventually the guy is about 15 yards from me, and clearly fishing into water I’m working.

“Do you mind giving me a little room?” I ask.

“Oh, are you fishing this?” he gestures towards water within casting distance.

“Yes. I’m fishing this.”

“Okay. Well, good luck.”

The guy finally moved on. In retrospect I don’t know if he was a bit clueless, or just didn’t care, but I suppose I should consider myself fortunate this doesn’t happen more often. Anglers around here are generally pretty considerate. I’ve certainly never had to tell someone to take a hike before.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

babby’s first salmon.

About 14” or so by my guess. They were everywhere, but very spooky too. Fishing was also complicated by an increase in flow after a (apparently very recent) release. It also put a ton of debris in the river. I was having no luck all day, so threw down a #18 “joker” midge I tied up for giggles (purple bead, black body, chartreuse wire, uv ice dub). On the Dream in November a #18 midge is the equivalent of serving you a seven pound hamburger and you going “seems normal.” But it was the only thing that got any interest.

Anyway. Five hours. One fish. Totally worth it.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 9, 2019

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Looks like a sockeye but I dont know where you are at?

I've always fished for ocean stage salmon. Some day I'll hit up a river.

Ayup. Kokanee Salmon. I was fishing the South Platte. Because I’m a big dummy I’d forgotten they were up there (I know they’re on the Gunnison and a few other rivers). When I first saw the silhouette of one upstream I thought, “that’s one ugly trout.”

Good times.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ayyyyyy winter fly fishing is hard. Worked for three hours, caught a 6” lil’ guy, then ate poo poo in the river wading back to my car.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeh. Still worth it.

gently caress, did it go down your waders? :ohdear:

Thankfully no. My down jacket got soaked though, and I scared the poo poo out of myself, but otherwise no harm befell me.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Been meaning to get off my rear end and tie up a backcountry box. So expect a ton of macro shots of poorly tied bugs incoming. Current list of things I’m thinking about packing into an Umpqua Day-Tripper HD:

- Zebra midge #18-22
- Brassie
- Black beauty
- Two-bit hooker
- Poison tung
- jujubaetis
- jujube midge
- Top-secret midge
- rs2
- Hippie stompers #12-14
- Parachute Adams
- Griffith’s gnat
- Beetles
- More hippie stompers
- A streamer of some sort

Realizing now I don’t have any white beads for chronomids, or any scud mats.

Also called up Charlie Craven and ordered his new streamers book, as well as about $130 worth of materials. As I was leafing through the book, it occurred to me that I do not possess a dubbing whirl; apparently an essential tool when tying streamers.

Fellow fisherpeople what’s your go-to/failsafe/“gently caress it. nothing else is working” fly/lure?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

I assume you're talking about trout here

I'm a trout guy, but whatever you use that catches fish. Lots of interesting answers.

My go-to right is a terrestrial and the most garish bead-head midge imitation I can find, hanging about 18" off the back. I'll fish that in pocket water, pools, lakes, whatever.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The Denver South Platte is less than 10 miles from my house.

I’m getting desperate, you guys.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I just realized the non-slip loop knot is basically a clinch knot that just uses an overhand knot to create a new “eye” to tie on to and it’s blowing my mind.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Got skunked all day on the South Platte except for…a personal best Brown. Trout, how do they work?

Granted, it doesn’t help that my prime fishing hours tend to be between 10am and 4pm.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

gamera009 posted:

If you want, I tend to run around Big T, St. Vrain, and boulder creek. Feel free to tag along if you want! Occasionally I hit up Clear Creek between Golden and Idaho Springs.

I’ve been meaning to check out the Thompson and St. Vrain. May take you up on this sometime. I need to get out of my Deckers rut.

Do those mostly fish like freestones?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

High country lakes and hippie stompers.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I realize it looks like I have a death grip on that fish, but I was gentle. I promise.