Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

poo poo, forgot this thread existed. HOPE YOU WANTED PICTURES

I had a fantastic trip to Crowley Lake in CA earlier this year the yielded some awesome fish. Pretty much all of these were taken in the north point area of the lake, most were caught on snail pattern flies. All were released! Not pictured: All the fuckin weeds we snagged.

Between myself, my father and my uncle we all caught several fish each day and had a hard time one-upping each other. Notable catches:

Biggest fish on the trip was my Uncle's 25 inch rainbow. Looks deceptively small in the picture: that net is huge and doubles as a paddle. Fish was big enough I actually had to use my net to catch what his net could not and basically shove it in there. Please note the huge fuckoff scar this one has in its midsection, gave him a good fight for a good 10+ minutes at least.

My biggest was a cutthroat I snagged while setting off first thing in the morning. Dragged me around in my little donut tube for a good chunk of time before finally bringing him in, only to nearly flip over trying not to lose him at picture time. Just shy of 23 inches, prettiest trout on the trip IMO.

Dad was the guest on this trip and caught his first big trout in ages this year! A pretty brown from our last day out there. 22 inches.

Plenty of others in the upper teens, including this brown hybrid who put up a huge fight. I thought he was going to be much bigger for sure. Still a respectable 18 inches.

This rainbow I dubbed 'idiot fish #1' for reasons that will soon be obvious. I'd have that face too, buddy.

A really tired guy who also gave out a hell of a fight

And poor tiny idiot fish #2

Great trip, convinced Dad that fishing in the fall was better than in the middle of summer at this place, and looking forward to the next trip!

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Can't say I've used senkos for these guys, but before I decided fly fishing was my thing I used a spinning rod and caught some respectable trout. I don't see why you couldn't?

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

The weather was awful at South Lake, which sits at about 9800ft.

We didn't catch anything crazy, but between 5 of us we had 22 keepers in just under 4 hours.

Overall, was fun.

Hey I haven't fished up at South Lake in a couple of years! Glad you got such a great haul!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Due to job situations I am unable to go on my fly fishing trip this year. Please catch more trout in my name!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

When the lakes get crowded, you'll find people will float into your area if you are catching things and they aren't as well. It's pretty annoying since they generally sneak up behind you, and suddenly there's someone next to you when you were just trolling around and letting your sinking line go around the weeds. If they persist I generally will drift away, but there's only so far to go on the really busy days. Since you go in a lazy circle or back and forth it kills the groove to have someone shove their way into your path.

Sometimes it's not intentional though, especially when the winds pick up. I really like my spots, but not enough to hog them, especially if I've caught something already. If I look out and the lake looks crowded sometimes I'll pick another spot for the day, rather than shove my way in there. It'd be nice if other people did the same, but eh.

If someone else is catching fish and I'm getting skunked, I might ask what bait/fly they are using, but other than that I don't fish to interact with other people.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

It fills my heart with joy to see all these beautiful trout since I missed my trip last year. What a nice catch, Chuck.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I'll take one. It'll be a while before I can use it since I only have fly fishing gear, but I will absolutely post pictures when I do.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I seriously need to move somewhere where I can just go to a creek and spend an hour catching trout on whatever day I wish. Mad jelly over here.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Hey guys, I just lost my uncle who taught me everything I know about fishing and am super down I've lost my best fishing buddy. Please post your most outrageous fish stories or pictures, fictional or no.

Edit: Thanks man. Sick catch, it seems like the really big ones always have some sort of complication with the line to make it harder. Glad you landed it!

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 5, 2018

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Although I've been quiet, I really appreciate the pictures and stories, especially the ones offered when my uncle passed. Thank you. So here's a short one of my own.

This weekend I finally got the opportunity to come back up to where I used to fish with my uncle. I had to actually learn how to tie knots, tried to remember how to tie the flies he showed me and half-succeeded. The flies don't look great, but I was taught to throw the ones not actively falling apart out there, because you "might catch a dumb one."

Unfortunately although I wanted to devote the trip to fishing and shooting, there's been a tight schedule, so I only just got out to fish tonight. I went to Lake Maime and parked myself at the inlet from Lake Mary. It was already pretty late when I got there.

For a little bit it was a struggle to remember how to cast from shore, as there are trees and bushes everywhere. Fortunately I only snagged a bush once, and low enough that I could retrieve the fly.

It can get pretty windy in the afternoon/evening at these lakes, so I dealt with a couple gusts, but luckily it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately the flow from Mary is very low, so the little wind I got often pushed my line back 'upstream'. It was an interesting dynamic.

Unfortunately even the bald eagle and the osprey hanging around weren't having much luck. I didn't see anyone else catch fish, so I was resigned to simply do my best to remember my lessons. But then, I found a dumbass.

An adorable brookie! I was so stoked because in all the years I've fished up here I've only seen two brook trout. He hit it pretty hard, so I immediately felt validated.

I almost went home content after that. I'm glad I didn't.

Not only was it another brook trout, but it is easily the smallest fish I've ever caught. I'm shocked he even looked at the fly at all.

All in all, I'm going out tomorrow again, but even if I get skunked I am pretty drat happy. I caught two beautiful tiny trout with a fly that I assumed was non-functional.

Tonight, I celebrated this victory with pizza and some thematic beer.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 24, 2018

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I don't know many patterns but I'd be more than willing to contribute to a travelling fly box! I need to get out fishing more often.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Hooplah posted:

I caught my first ever rainbow yesterday, courtesy of A Pack of Kobolds and his new boat

It was delicious sauteed in butter with some fresh thyme and smashed garlic

Congrats! What a pretty (and delicious) fish. Hopefully many more are in your future!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Woop woop! I love any fish that makes me sure of my investment on a tether.

On Saturday I went to a nice lesson on surf fishing, specifically on fly fishing the surf and spear fishing.

Some very friendly people let me borrow their gear and I quickly realized that my casting abilities are much more geared towards small streams and floating in a lake, and not hucking bait as far away from me as possible. Whoops.

I didn't catch anything, but the guys next to me caught some calico bass, so it was a very exciting morning. I'll probably need to wait to invest in gear to try this out more, but it was a wonderful way to spend a day off.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Thread! Rise from your grave!

Live, dammit!

All critters are released with as minimal hand contact as I can manage (Exception is for documentation and when they are tired and need some help getting enough energy to swim off again, seen here). If there's a better way to do this that doesn't involve outright grabbing them I'd love to know.

This little guy seems like he has a little scoliosis in the tail? I'm just impressed he's survived this long.

And this fella is blind in one eye.

Bonus angry not-fish. We can't use live bait in CA, so catching them is just for fun.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Heads up, that looks like Whirling disease. Major trout parasite in some areas. Any more you catch should be disposed of, as in plastic bag in the garbage. One by itself could be a spinal injury fish, more than one and you’re likely looking at infestation. If you see any more in that area, let your Fish and Wildlife folks know about it. It can be spread by felt soles on waders and other fabrics, so make sure and wash your waders if you’ve been in the water there.

Thank you for the information, I didn't know that and would have disposed of them. Is there a symptom on the brown trout, too? I'm having trouble identifying it since the brown trout seemed to have a normal spine/tail when I was handling it, but if it's on both of the fish you quoted I will definitely call the Fish and Wildlife, as it's two different lakes in the same general region. I know there's a fish farm nearby that they use to stock rainbow trout, so that would definitely be something they would want to look into if they have a breakout there.

I also generally give the gear a rinse between waters but will do a more thorough cleaning so I don't worsen the problem.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 4, 2019

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

The brown looks like he’s fine. It’s usually easy to spot, that crooked-up tail is the giveaway. If you see one bent like that and it’s got signs of scarring or a bite wound in the same spot, it’s probably traumatic. If it’s bent but not wounded, then it’s best to assume it’s Whirling. I usually dispose of them either way, since the crippled trout is still just going to be food for something soon.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on this in the future and dispose of fish that look infected properly. Don't want that to spread in any waters, much less my favorite spots.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

I caught the biggest brook trout I have ever seen on the Nantahala today. She was a little the worse for wear, so I'm gonna assume hatchery brooder rather than 3 season holdover, but man, whattafish

Holy hell what a monster! How long did she fight you for? Beautiful fish, good job landing her!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

Also, I hope you guys don't mind me making long posts like that. It helps me to write out and work out what I did and why, what patterns I used, etc. And hopefully it helps someone else to come up with something to help them catch fish.

Not at all, I find them a fun read! I may not keep all the information but it's always good to learn.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Dangerllama posted:

Ayyyyyy winter fly fishing is hard. Worked for three hours, caught a 6” lil’ guy, then ate poo poo in the river wading back to my car.

Stay warm and get dry soon, Dangerllama. I'm sure it was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Dangerllama posted:

Fellow fisherpeople what’s your go-to/failsafe/“gently caress it. nothing else is working” fly/lure?

Snail pattern or leech for wet fly.

Gotta get my dry fly game going and I'll report back to you once I figure that out.