Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

I like catching gummy sharks, they taste great

They banned commercial fishing in a bay near where I live and the population of these smaller sharks is going through the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Today's efforts:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

What's up with the red one? That looks prehistoric as gently caress.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Furious Mittens posted:

Dude, I would kill to be able to fish with you.

I do a lot of wading and fishing kayaking in the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee (mostly bass and some amazing trout), and I've got to say it's the best experience. I've always wanted to do it in a bay or brackish area, talk about relaxing and challenging.
There is nothing like fishing from a kayak in salt water, it just feels different to anything else.

I took the yak out into Bass Strait the other day, not very far but I've never been outside the bays before so it was new for me

I got a couple of baby skates later in the day

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I've got a couple of Gomoku micro jigs but I've never really done that sort if fishing before. You can sometimes get yellowtail kingfish on jigs in that area but you have to find them first, and once you've found them they need to be in the mood to hit a jig or you'll just get sore arms. I tend to do better with bait so that's what I use most of the time. That day I was using some squid I caught in the morning and banana prawns from a local supermarket. Those prawns are like fish candy!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah i noticed you seem to catch a lot of bottom fish. Do you use a scanner to fish over rocks/structure or do you just wander around? I'm curious if you got near apex predator fish waiting in ambush on rock piles like we do in CA, US.
I keep some metal slugs on the kayak in case I come across some baitfish busting up, but generally I don't target topwater species because the common ones don't taste that good. Also, Westernport is very tidal and a lot of weed gets ripped up which makes trolling lures a pain in the arse because they keep getting fouled.

I've got a sounder on the yak to look for structure to anchor over, sometimes I just drift and try and cover a lot of ground. Sometimes the anchor drags and I drift whether I like it or not lol.

The main ambush predators we have are flathead ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flathead_(fish) ), and mulloway/jewfish ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyrosomus_japonicus ), they tend to prefer structure that funnels prey towards them so you often find them in channels or deeper holes in the bottom.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Filleting is really easy and worth learning how to do. There's heaps of videos on youtube, that's how I learnt.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Kim Jong ill posted:

Also, don't forget you can just gut and scale a fish and cook it whole.

You don't even need to do that, I'm going kingfish and tuna fishing in a few weeks and the soy sauce and wasabi is definitely coming out with me.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Me and a couple of like-minded mates went for a bit of a hike to a rock ledge that has access to some very deep water.

The ledge:

The climb in and out was 'interesting', it took about 30min to climb this section with all the gear.

Ended up being a 19 hour round trip for a Port Jackson shark, a bunch of sweep and a few wrasse, not the greatest return for the effort of getting there but fun nonetheless.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Took the kayak out again yesterday

What it looks like from land

Ended up with a few nice flathead and some calamari for dinner tonight

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Nah, I used jigs for those squid. It's also common here to use a baited prong under a float, and sometimes you find they've attacked a hooked fish or a lure but that doesn't happen very often. You'd get a great feed off a humboldt squid but at that size they'd be a headfuck to deal with, even these little squid seem determined to give me and the kayak a new coat of paint.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

What do you even do with fish? Do you eat them? Throw them back in? For that matter, where do you even go fishing?

I eat the ones that are nice to eat and use the ones that don't taste nice as bait to catch better tasting fish. Carp end up fertilizing mum's vegie garden. There are some things like wrasse or banjo sharks that are useless and get thrown back in.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Siennas are great reels. I used them on my kayak for a while where they were getting heaps of salt water splashed on them and inside them, and they held up fine

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I went fishing today!

A nice sunrise to get the day off to a good start:

Couta:

Squid:

Goatfish:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

-Anders posted:

It didn't put up much of a fight

That's trout for you

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

nice carp

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It's not a big fish he's just tiny.

Just kidding. What do you use for fishing carp?

worms or corn on either unweighted or on a lightly weighted running sinker rig, or under a quill float. A size 10 hook is sufficient. A carp the size of the one above is a lot of fun on 1-3kg gear.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

joem83 posted:

How's the fishing over there? Also, in addition to my previous question of where you guys are fishing from, I'd like to ask what your favorite lures are and what your favorite species to catch is. You know, A/S/L. Area/Species/Lure.

Melbourne, Australia

Gummy sharks, flathead, king george whiting, squid, snapper

anything dead but squid especially, otherwise my little Berkley flicker shad works wonders despite looking nothing like anything that lives in my area. Gulp Nemesis plastics in nuclear chicken are also pretty good

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I took the Slayer out for a test drive and ended up with 4 trout

I also lost a pedal over the side of the yak which will probably mean $$$

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

Squid jigs are hosed up looking, so many little hooks to stick myself with.

I'd take a squid jig in the thumb over treble hooks any day of the week

What brand of jigs are popular in the states?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

The most popular ones in the Puget sound are home made small ones with a really big skirt of needles. We have a pretty interesting cottage industry of people making them then selling them at the docks. Most will special order whatever design you want.

An example of one guys jigs. The smalls are 1/2 oz and the bigs are 1 oz

That's cool. How do you work a jig like that?

It'd be interesting to try one of those style jigs here. Most people here use those Japanese prawn style jigs and no one really questions whether or not it is the most effective way so maybe it's just really good marketing by the Japanese.
This one in particular is lethal: https://japanlureshop.com/yamashita-egi-oh-q-live-3-0-n08-numg-silver-base-9909.html

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

the downside is that you have to eat squid

Use them for bait. Most fish here will have a crack at a strip of squid.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

How are you eating all this squid? The only ways I know are grilling/frying and dipping in something.

Next season one of my goals is to keep and eat more fish. When the season is on I can more or less catch all the white perch I could ever want and if I can stomach trolling it seems like keeper rocks and blues would be pretty easy as well. The only freshwater fish that sounds appealing is crappie, but I would rather let all the old guys get those so they leave the bass alone. I wanna buy a big rear end propane fryer rig and have a fish-fry and some poo poo.

Coat the squid bits in batter, bread crumbs or marinate as appropriate and grill, BBQ or fry at a high temp for just a minute each side, or stuff the hoods or put chunks in a stew or soup or whatever and cook low and slow until it's tender. It can be a good idea to soak larger squid in milk or something overnight to help tenderise them.

Trout are pretty tasty as far as freshwater fish go, especially if they have been eating a lot of minnows. Stream trout that eat a lot of insects haven't tasted as nice in my experience. There's a bunch of different ways of cooking them but smoking them is pretty amazing. If you have redfin perch/English perch around they are very nice too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Also speaking of freshwater fish to eat, what kind of rig setup does one use to catch trout in a lake? I've only done so by accident, but I'd love to make city trout a regular part of my diet.

If using bait I use either worms, crickets, mudeyes or yabbies under a quill float. If using lures a pink tassie devil is the bees knees:

They're 13g so you can cast them a long way and cover a lot of ground
I know some people who target trophy trout and they use a black and gold Diawa double clutch 95

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Poms are hosed in the head when it comes to carp

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Carp are great fun to catch, they go pretty hard. It's the culture of course fishing that is a bit weird. Forget all the expensive gear, accessories, hair rigs, boilies and disinfectant for their lips before you release them, I just use a basic 1-3kg trout rod rigged with what we call a blackfish float (any float will probably do however) and a size 10 hook. Worms or canned corn for bait, although bread works amazingly well if it's a pond where people feed the ducks, just try to make sure your bait is sitting deep enough to avoid the ducks or you'll catch them too. Scatter some creamed corn or breadcrumbs around to get the carp feeding and if they're around you should get onto a few.

On this setup a 50cm carp is an absolute blast to hook up, and in a suburban lake where people are throwing heaps of bread to the duck they'll get much much bigger than that.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Surely there's more than one cabin in your general vicinity

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

You want to be careful buying reels second hand, there's no way of knowing if it has had a dip in the water some something. Probably not such an issue with a freshwater reel like that but I've heard one or two horror stories about Stellas and Saltists that looked really nice on the outside but were all corroded and hosed up internally.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I was using baitholder J-hooks. I think that circle hooks are supposed to be harder to swallow since they're wider than J-hooks. I don't think that the hook being offset would change that, but I'm not 100% on that. I catch surf perch to eat, also, so while I prefer that the fish not be gut-hooked to minimize suffering, it is almost certainly not long for this world regardless. Getting the hook set and the fish landed is my main concern.

It isn't so much the size of the hook that matters, its the shape that causes the hook to turn in the fish's mouth and catch it in the corner of the jaw as it swims off. I think the issue with offset circles is that the point can catch on other parts of the mouth as the hook turns so you don't necessarily avoid gut or gill hooking the fish.

With circles you need to be very careful to avoid clogging the gape of the hook with bait, and they seem to be more effective if you use baits that can be swallowed whole because if the fish has to sit there breaking the bait into bite size pieces you are less likely to hook it up as it swims off.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

joem83 posted:

Crayfish can become endangered? I figured those were basically water cockroaches.

You saltwater fisherman, question for ya. How sensitive is "freshwater" gear to salt? I ask because I've taken my Lew's baitcaster combo out to fish the bay a couple times. The first time I went, I was high + maybe a little bit drunk, and I lost my footing on the rip rap. I fell, my rear end went into the water, and my entire rod/reel went into the water. I rinsed it thoroughly and oiled all the parts I could without completely disassembling it, but it developed a squeak and now I'm all paranoid to take it back out to the salt.

The San Diego River has become waaaaaaaaaay more shady as of late, so many crazy rear end homeless people everywhere I try to fish, but the bay is only 10 minutes from work. I'm trying to find a more enjoyable lunch time fishing spot.

Take it apart, give it a good clean and cover everything in reel oil and Inox MX8 or some kind of anti corrosion trailer bearing grease as you put it back together.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Enigma posted:

One thing to try is soaking it in a bucket of water to dissolve any salt. Sometimes it's just a matter of removing salt residue.

If you do this you really need to take the reel apart afterwards because freshwater is pretty bad for reel internal components as well. It is a good idea to dunk it in freshwater if you've got it full of salt and won't be able to do a full service for a few days though

It will certainly slice the poo poo out of your (my) finger when you're (I'm) casting if you're (I'm) not careful. A good way to remind yourself that you are made of meat. And it was a reoccurring theme in my group's Shadowrun game to have monofilament shoelaces for casual, stealthy garroting.

Anyway, I tie my SP rigs/terminal tackle with 20lb test flouro for shock absorption. There isn't much danger of accidentally catching something huge on the Washington coast unless you get deep. 8 lb braid mainline seems to me like it should be enough, but I'm usually inclined to go as light as possible and might not be taking all things into account.

Fluorocarbon doesn't have much stretch, you'd be better to use a mono shock leader for that. You can still tie your rig from fluoro though if the lower visibility improves your catch rate.The rule of thumb I've been taught (which could be completely wrong, who knows) is 10lb for every ounce of sinker weight, so for a 4oz lead I'd be using 40lb shock leader, for 6oz, 60lb. With shock leader you generally want enough for a couple of wraps around the spool as you cast because the most strain is put on the line as the rod is loading up during the cast, before any line comes off the spool. This should solve your problem of cutting your fingers too on the mainline too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

I can't tell how I feel about this, I go kayak fishing in a bunch of brackish rivers with old men who's post fishing routine is to take a garden hose to all their gear and let it drip dry in the garage. Some of them have been doing it for decades now with no ill effects. I know old fiber drags would get ruined by being stored wet but the modern ones are supposed to be non-absorbent. I try to hose my poo poo down when it has been used in salt or if I take it wading, but I am mostly worried about grit.

I have a Stradic FJ that has been used in brackish water with no maintenance beyond the occasional hose off for about four years now, i'm just recently noticing a little resistance in moving the handle, so I'm going to send it off to get it serviced, I will be curious to see what the guy says when he gets it open.

I hose my reels down after use too, but that is very different to soaking them in freshwater. A hose down isn't going to get much water into the body of the reel or the bearings unless it is a high pressure jet of water. If you get any kind of water in a reel you'll start corroding things; salt water is worse but freshwater will cause problems if you don't take steps to dry it out quickly.

My routine is to tighten the drag all the way up, give the reel a light spray with water and then wipe down the outside with an Inox soaked rag, or just give the whole thing a light spray with Inox if I'm feeling a bit lazy. Then I back the drag right off so any water that got into the drag stack has a chance to dry out. I don't always do this, but if I've been out on the bay in the yak and the wind got up a bit then I make a point of rinsing the reels properly.

Eventually I'll get enough cash to switch over to Penn Slammer IIIs for all my kayak reels, those things are supposedly fully sealed so that should help keep them nicer for longer. Those, or some Van Staals.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 13, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Danthrax posted:

Channel catfish are delicious and is what is served in restaurants as catfish unless they're getting swai from Asia and selling that as catfish. Fried or blackened fillets with lettuce, spicy mayo or remoulade, and fried onions makes a fantastic po'boy.

Like Enigma said, I'd rather catch seaweed than a saltwater catfish. They don't pull very hard, they thrash like crazy when you're trying to get your fish grips in their mouth for dehooking, they cover everything with that awful slime (which stings a bit if it's left on your skin), the barbs hurt if they poke you, they poo poo everywhere if you take 'em out of the water, and they frequently get hooked through the eye socket since it's right by the corner of their mouths. And I think bull sharks are the only things around that will eat them so they're everywhere. I still thank them for biting when I catch one but they're a waste of bait.

put one on a 14/0 and catch a bull shark then

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Danthrax posted:

I usually go out alone in a 12' kayak, I'm not trying to gently caress with bull sharks! From what I've read online catfish aren't a primary prey for the sharks, it's more of a convenience thing. Shark fishing would be cool but I would want to go with someone who has experience...and a bigger boat.

Nah just let it tow you around for a bit until it's tired, bang it on the head, cut its throat and get it on ice ASAP. Flake is loving delicious

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Dude I really want to see some of your fish if you have any to post.

I cannot wait for my loving squid jigs to arrive, and I'm going to run myself ragged this weekend to finish moving if I can. I'm sick of not fishing.

I got a gummy shark on the weekend, I didn't get a photo of it though. The wind looks like it'll be ok for a fish this weekend although it will be against the run out tide in the afternoon which will make fishing at anchor a headfuck and will probably put an end to the session.

Here's one I got a while ago

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

joem83 posted:

I know that good kayaks are stable, but I still feel like I'd fall off one if I tried to fish off it.

You're sitting down which helps, and you pretty quickly learn how far you can lean and move around in the yak while keeping it stable. One of my kayak is supposedly stable enough for you to stand up in and cast a fly rod or whatever but I tried to stand up to take a piss out of it once and nearly fell in so now I piss out of the propel drive hole.

:bisonyes:

Kayak fishing looks so fun. I'd love to get into it if I had anyplace to store one.

I just sold the one in the picture because I didn't have enough room for three kayaks.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Ever try pooping in one?

No, I don't hit the water without backing one out on land first. I know a few people who have taken an aqua dump through the mirage drivewells on their Hobies but it doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun.

Yesterday the forecast was for 10 knot winds on Saturday, the weather gods clearly decided that I needed to get some housework done instead or something :(

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

How do they deal with floaters?

yeah not sure. my propel drive has a flat section that would probably push any floaters down far enough that they'd go away once you start moving but I a mirage drive would just get smeared with poo poo

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Just bought another 50W, gonna put a poo poo ton of 80lb braid on this one and use it off the beach, paddling big baits out in the yak or floating them out under a balloon for sharks

It'll do for a second heavy trolling setup too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

What's your go-to rig for beach casting?

Depends, I've got a number of beach setups for different species. For smaller fish like whiting and flathead one more sheltered beaches I'll use a 10'6" Shimano Catana Nano XG paired with a Penn Slammer 260, casting 2 hook paternoster rig and a 1.5oz star sinker. I can get that about 60m out. For landbased gummy shark and snapper fishing I have a couple of 12' medium surf rods paired with larger reels (Penn Slammer 760 and a Fin Nor Ahab 16 at the moment), casting pulley rigs and 4oz breakaway sinkers. Those cast a fair distance but using bigger baits reduces that. My heavy surf setups are a couple of 14' Kingfisher Poseidon Gold Class rods, one is paired with a Penn Squall 15 the other a Fin Nor Lethal LTC 30. Both have a 15kg mono topshot over 30lb braid backing. The Lethal has about 700-800m of braid backing so I can target some pretty large fish with that. I use those two for slide baiting where I cast out a 6oz breakaway sinker and then slide a big bait like a fish head or a whole squid down the line using a special gadget that clips onto the line: http://www.bustedfishing.com/news/slide-baiting
I've only got swell sharks while bait sliding so far but a friend of mine hauled in a 90kg-ish seven gill shark at a popular surf beach nearby and any weekend where it's took windy to get the kayak out I'll be giving it a go. My slide baiting rig consists of about 40cm of 100lb wire trace and a couple of meters of 200lb mono clipped onto the slider.

For ballooning or paddling baits out off the beach I've got a Penn Squall 50VSW spooled with about 1km of 50lb mono and a 200lb wind on leader. The reel I bought last night is also a Squall 50VSW but I'll get about 2km of that 80lb braid on it. For both methods the rig is 3m of wire rope and a 12/0 circle hook; for ballooning I'll attach a balloon using a rubber band tied to the swivel and let the wind or tide take the balloon and bait out. For paddling baits I tie on end of 3m length of 20lb mono to a brick, the other end to the circle hook, and then tie a balloon onto the mainline so that the bait is suspended mid water between the brick on the bottom and the balloon on the surface. I've hooked up twice when paddling baits, the first time was probably a stingray, the second time I was on the kayak coming back to shore when one of the rods went off. My friend who was minding the rods didn't know about circle hooks and struck as hard as he could manage to try and set the hook but of course this just pulled the hook out of the sharks mouth and we didn't get a touch for the rest of the day. Sharks will be getting more and more common as the weather warms up so I'm pretty confident I'll land at least one decent bronzie with summer.