Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Went up to camp near a small town called Gorrie in Ontario again this weekend. The local river is the Maitland which is well known for great fishing by Goderich where it empties into Lake Huron, but we were further up by the headwaters where it’s never more than a meter deep. We were there for Canada Day and I tried some fishing but didn’t have much luck. Fished a little pool under a tiny man made waterfall and caught a bunch of tiny bullheads, and tried the local park in Gorrie and didn’t catch anything but saw tons of big carp.

This time around I tried wading downstream from where we were camping and found a few good holes maybe only 100-200 meters down. First threw on a size 2 spinner to gauge if there was anything active in the water. Grabbed about 5 rock bass before pulling out my first smallie, about a 12”er. This emboldened me to try a senko, and after about 3 casts I hooked onto another decent smallmouth, maybe 14-15”, but threw the hook.

Then the hunt was on. I kept the senko on and cast into rock piles for about another half hour before hooking up to the biggest fish of the day.

Just a hair under 17”! I was pretty surprised to find fish like these in such shallow headwaters. And because no one fishes around here it seems, the fish were biting quite readily. As you can see I decided to keep this one and cook him on the camp fire. He gave an awesome fight, jumped multiple times and made me think I was gonna lose another.

All in all a great weekend and I’m looking forward to going back for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Ghostnuke posted:

the desperation move is a wacky rigged senko

Yeah, or one of my homemade spinners. I find colour rarely matters honestly, at this point I think I just use different beads and designs on the spoon for my own entertainment