Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I love lingcod. 30lb tagged and released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice brown.
Did you ever eat one?
If so what state and water source?
Did it taste like mossy mud?

I may just have bad luck with them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Large predator fish are great but if you want bragging rights you need to wiegh them the minute they come on board. I caught a 25lb lingcod that threw up a 7lb ling, a small shark, a skate and a still lively octopus 10 minutes after getting thumped and tossed in the sack.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

From anecdotal evidence (I dug through s couple pounds Of otter poo poo) they seem to prefer crawfish if available. I fish a high mountain private pond that has a family of otters and I found very few fish bones compared to the almost solid clump of shells.

Stock up on crawdads to distract them?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Armed Neutrality posted:

Yep, I'm in Switzerland as Beefnoodle said.

I never really eat wild native fish, which over here are browns and not rainbows, but I guarantee you that they don't taste muddy. I'm sure they're delicious, I just like them way too much to eat them.

More content, a nice barbel caught on a streamer with a 6 weight modern glass rod:

It's the total opposite in Montana. I think the coexist because they feed at different level with the Browns mucking up the bottom.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice critter! Way over the slot! Hope they survived.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Squalid posted:

I don't know how to hold a fish :regd09:

Learn. You probably knocked off a ton of skin slime, leaving him vulnerable to infections and fungus leading to an early death.

Or not. But still learn.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

drat nice sockeye. Would love to do the Alaska fishery some day.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

What's up with the red one? That looks prehistoric as gently caress.

Sockeye Salmon end-of-life mating colors. The jaw also deforms into that wicked hook on the males. The rest of their lives they are pretty standard silver color. Before they start up river they are considered some of the best tasting salmons.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The life cycle of pacific salmon is pretty wild. That fish stopped eating already and all its fat and protein will go to keeping it alive only long enough to mate. It had no hope of survival and will die after having sex for the first time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Are you using cut bait? Have you tried jigging bars?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah i noticed you seem to catch a lot of bottom fish. Do you use a scanner to fish over rocks/structure or do you just wander around? I'm curious if you got near apex predator fish waiting in ambush on rock piles like we do in CA, US.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh drat those look nice. I'd be all over that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh god i love slaughtering albacore. So much meat in the head after doing the basic cuts. I just gorge on it and by the time I'm done with the cuts I'm ready for bed.

I miss tuna fishing with my uncle.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Interesting. Our rocky shoreline usually produces good fish living in the cracks of the rocks near the surf line. We "poke pole" for eels and rockfish. Kinda dangerous because you generally are looking down instead of at the ocean but you can snag some nice critters.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

Took the kayak out again yesterday

What it looks like from land

Ended up with a few nice flathead and some calamari for dinner tonight

The calamari take the hook? That's cool. Out here we sometimes get whole fish attacked by Humboldt squid. Not cool.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Your the dude up in Alaska right?

I'm almost certainly moving to Puget sound, Washington this summer and can't wait to start fishing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Agean90 posted:

i work with fish and wildlife in Washington. i used to want to fish but having to work with fishermen has made me one good recruitment drive away from ecoterrorism

I'm moving to Port Orchard soon. If you are near me I'd go fishing with you. I really dont like the stuff most of the locals post. It's pretty bad.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hrm. It's a bit of a drive from Port Orchard but I may be down for that. I'm mostly a shallow water rock fishery sort of guy but I enjoy trout too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Good stuff guys. I'm in the process of moving to Puget sound and looking forward to fishing pictures myself.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

I have entered the world of custom rods. Any bad idea I have, someone will make for me!

Fortunately, it turned out amazingly well! I got it from Smallie Stix in PA, it's a MHX 6' ML blank, Microwave guides, and an Alps reel seat. It weighs nothing, casts as far as my 7' St Croix ML can, and has more backbone and sensitivity. The day I picked it up I fished with it for 8-9 hours and never got cramped. Really loving this thing.

I also caught my first wild trout:

Found a stream full of these little guys. I had far far too heavy a line on my light rod for this stuff, but it was fun non the less. I want to respool my little 500 spinning reel with like 2lb braid and go after these guys again with these 1/124oz jigs I have been tying.

Little brown?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That's a nice fish. Never heard of a marble trout. Kinda looks like char.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You still gotta wear pants though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Is that bottom a pike minnow?

Also what was the stomach contents?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, Colorado Pikeminnow. No idea on stomach. Since they're endangered and my study doesn't currently have any focus on diet, we don't lavage them. Measure, weigh, scan for PIT tag, release.

I thought it was a pike minnow but didnt realize the Colorado sub species was in trouble. The broad mouth is kinda unique for a big CA fish. Where is your study out of? I've been a volunteer with Moss Landing research center for over 6 years.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Very cool. The big complaint with them in the Sacramento basin is they eat all the juvenile trout, salmon and stripers. Not even considered a game fish out here but they attain decent size.

I'm sure you know that just giving out general info for non-CA.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That's some proper fish friendly catch and release right there, good work

Heh I was thinking the same thing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Heh....chub

http://fishandboat.com/pafish/fishhtms/chap11minnows.htm

It's a minnow.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Not a chub, but maybe a shiner? I guess? Anyway, you can have a ton of fun with tiny fish on a really light rod. This one was on a Suntech Kurenai HM30R, which weighs a little under an ounce, line and all.

It's a ton of fun with bluegill and trout, too. Panfish will make it sing.

All chubs are minnows.

Shinners are not minnows.

Cute little guy! I always find it amusing when you catch fish swinging above their weight.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So I'm having trouble with my pond largemouth bass. They're generally pretty small, under 4 lbs for sure.

They aren't going for the white shad plastics I got, and I think my 5 or 6 inch worms or shads are getting tail struck. Worms are getting hit a lot more.

I've got them Texas rigged, though, and it looks like a lot of the time the hook hasn't gone through the bait.

Could the Texas rig be the problem? Or is it more likely fish hitting the end of too large bait?

Cut off a section of the plastic. Pretty easy with the worms.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You cast-snag them? His eye site should go soon. You'll get your day.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Goddamnit, is posting pictures through the awful app busted as well?

I usually have to try about 20 times.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just get a shimano with a quickfire. I've been using them for 30 years. Inexpensive, good casting and durable.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Used this weeks crab catch for lawn decorations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Edit: I caught, killed, filleted, skinned, and pan roasted a 2 pounder and while delicious, it kinda looked like I was eating kitten.

What's wrong with kittens?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

38.120414, -119.449380

Yeah I want a 100gallon tank with a brook trout. Simply gorgeous.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Don't feed it much?

Eat it if it gets too big.

This isn't rocket science.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Where you fishing at again?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

In a feeder creak to a tidal river that feeds the Chesapeake bay. As far as I know it is salty enough to only support brackish/saltwater species. My buddy is a bio-researcher so I am going get him to send the pic around and see what's up.

In general you want to land a fish asap as they get the same muscle cramps we do and a long fight increases mortality. So generally just get it landed with out dragging it across the surface, as you want it to be a little tired so you can unhook easier. In my case, I immediately knew that I had either caught a striper or a chain pickerel, both of which would break my little rod and maybe max out the drag on my little reel, so I had to let it run a bit before I began to retrieve him. I cannot stress how light this rod is, it is a UL Mod action, so basically a noodle. I bought it because it is the only thing I have found that will cast a 1/16oz inline spinner remotely well. It still isnt great, but step up to 1/8th and it will cast a loving mile. In any case, it was bent double and I started to hold it away from my face in case it snapped. Really an awesome end to the day.

Oh I'm in Norfolk for 4 months. Let's go fishing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

More with timing and triggering a feeding response.