Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Please post more photos! The fish look pretty awesome!

I fished the kings as they chased the Pink run up the Chilkoot one year.

It was amazing and I would love to go back to do some fishing up thereabouts again. Also, I hope to one day catch halibut bigger than paddles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Nabbed a really nice 12" brown this morning. Odd that I didn't see any hatches, but this guy took it clean off a dry fly anyways. The missus had a big string of 8-10" brownies all morning an a dry-dropper rig.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Been fishing in Hokkaido the last two days. Amazing water out here!

Phone posting so hopefully this isn't a table-breaker!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Nice fish!

Is your third to last pic there a creek chub? Or some other type of chub?

Our guide called it a Japanese white fish. Looks like a creek chub of some kind!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Oh I didn't notice it was in Japan. Not really as good at IDing fish outside of North America. Maybe Pungtungia then? I couldn't find results for Japanese white fish that weren't sushi related.

Found it!

Tribolodon hakonensis. Japanese dace.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Ned rigs are on the way as well. I do have a question though, I had three hooksets yesterday that the fish ended up spitting out. I suspect it's because I'm bending the barbs down and fishing barbless.

Would barbless circle hooks be a good investment for my non Ned rigged setup?

Edit:. And when I say hooksets I mean rod bending, side to side swimming action, not the million tail strikes I get.

This used to be an issue for me until I learned to properly play and then land the fish.

How are you trying to bring the fish in?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I try to keep good tension in the line and the rod pointed high otherwise they jump and spit the hook. If I leave too much slack it feels like they spit the hook too.

Sounds fine, I guess. If you're using a barbless hook, it's going to be a lot more difficult.

I fish primarily in rivers and streams, so typically a big element of playing a fish appropriately is ensuring you're working 90 degrees to the flow of the water and moving the fish without providing slack. After that, working the net below the fish so it dives into it on its own.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Anyway, someone help me pick out an approximately $50 spinning reel to put on a 6.5 (or 7) spinning rod.

Every time I see something that looks good on Amazon with a high rating one of the critical reviews shits all over it and I feel dumb.

I may go with the Mitchell 300 Pro because I like my regular 310.

The Mitchell has been a solid reel for me over the last three years. Definitely recommended.

I recently picked up this guy.

Works well, and I've used it to pull out trout from 6-24". Very smooth, and the performance is excellent.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Armed Neutrality posted:

A nice brown on a streamer Friday night, almost 20 inches.

I have the shittiest luck with streamers. I've been trying to practice with a muddler minnow, but it doesn't seem to matter. I'm just terrible with them. :(

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Armed Neutrality posted:

I've been fishing them with success for a while now. They work best when the water is high and cloudy, I went again last night with a 5 inch articulated streamer and had 7 explosive strikes in an hour, one 18 inch fish landed and a bigger one popped off. I used a sinking line last night because of the high water, and I generally work my way downstream, casting across the current as close to the far bank as possible, mend upstream to let it sink a bit, and strip across the current.

Sounds like what I'm doing, only I suppose I'm not working with the right line. I'd hoped that a longer tapered leader would let the streamer sink more. I may switch to a beadhead streamer and see if that gives better results. For now, I haven't had any issues with using a dry-dropper rig or just floating the right fly to get what I want.

I'm jealous of the size fish, but nothing in the higher/alpine creeks I fish can support anything about 12-14". Still, it's great to be able to spend an hour and haul in a dozen or so 8-10" browns and rainbows.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah I want a 100gallon tank with a brook trout. Simply gorgeous.

Having seen how big a brookie gets when fed with no real outside pressure, you need three times that. :gonk:

Uni here had a long term study on impacts of rainbows, browns, and brooks on native cutthroat populations and were raising mixed batches in massive tanks. Holy hell a brook trout can get huge when well fed.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Are fly rods more fragile than conventional casting are spinning rods?

In my experience, no, but I also only use ultralight spinning tackle so it's all the same to me. YMMV

:shrug:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

The midwest finesse guys go "bass fishing for trout" with their ned rigs and I have caught stocked rainbows on all sorts of random rear end bass lures. My best day being like 15ish of them on a series of small cranks.

I've caught 22-24" browns and rainbows pretty easily in gold medal waters using small rapalas (floating and countdown both) where I only use the back hook. Treble or a single is fine.

Usually with small rapalas, you're really provoking an aggression response more so than feeding in my experience.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I don't have a fish to post but is the a thread about fishing? I want to get my wife a fishing pole but it has to be collapsible because lol City apartment

You want this one here.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Does it have to be collapsible, or can it be multi part? To get a good collapsible you're in for about $160-180, a decent multipart can be had for less.

What's your budget and what is your wife going to be fishing for?

I'd actually disagree. I picked up one of these off amazon on a lark and it's now my go-to, cheap-rear end (but solid) collapsable rod for trout and bass fishing. It's held up for three seasons in all weather, and I have more difficulty with respooling line than the rod. It's cheap enough that buying a couple isn't bad, and I like using it as part of a packable ultralight for small/largemouth and trout.

gamera009 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 20, 2017

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What's wrong with a 2 piece?

Nothing! Just disagreeing with the statement that a good collapsible is >$100.

Apologies for the lack of clarity.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Sure, they all say to kill them, but nothing I have read about them from the MD DNR shows any actual observed harm or damage. If they are as bad as people say, where is the data?

Is a NOAA brief good enough?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

That link isnt about snakeheads?

Thought you guys were discussing lion fish!

Here's an old USGS (ca 2004) report that provides risk assessment.

Everything I've found combing through literature (a lot appears centered around the Chesapeake Bay area) indicates that the initial efforts to control spread of snakeheads has also limited research regarding ecological impact. That makes sense to me, since limited populations make it more difficult to assess a broader impact on the overarching biology of the environment. Everything does indicate that populations of prey fish and some predators (they mention bass and eel) have dropped, but that's not necessarily an indictment of the snakeheads as a menace for the time being. It doesn't mean people should let them go and allow the invasive species to go crazy, but there's already an economic impact with respect to having to keep trying to eradicate them and maintain a vigilant barrier to spreading throughout the US.

If you have access to it, the best indicator of what will most likely happen if snakehead become well-established in the US is probably this opinion piece in TEE. It basically boils down to freshwater ecosystems are at higher risk compared to other environs that may have invasive predators introduced due to less stratification of predator and prey in the environment. Introduction of a predatory species into a naive environment would mean that they would be able to effectively outcompete pretty much anything that normally keeps all other naive species in check/balance.

If you look at the already significant impact from lion fish on reefs they've invaded, it makes sense that snakeheads (if allowed to take root) would have an equivalent, if not more significant, ecological impact.

That's my story, thanks for listening.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

And in any case, killing individual fish isnt going to do poo poo. I am not going to kill them the same way I am not going to kill introduced bass, introduced trout, or those nasty horses that poo poo all over our beaches. Give the snakeheads a hundred years and they will be as beloved as all the rest.

I bet whoever released the lion fish into the Caribbean reefs said the same thing.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

funktopus posted:

I just got a Tenkara and I've been practicing casting in a nearby field and I think I'm getting the hang of it. Anyone have recommendations for fly fishing mountain streams, or in general?
I'm really psyched about the prospect of catching some trout (I'm in Colorado, for reference).

Depends on where in CO, but I could probably meet up to guide you around if you're in the denver/boulder corridor.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Spent a morning at Eldo Canyon.

A ton of small fry, but the bigger ones were sitting at the bottom of all the plunge pools having nothing to do with any double drop nymphs. Not even the usual pheasant tail and psycho prince movers made them budge. :(

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

My man, don't make me get into fly fishing, I can barely afford spinning.

Spinning is great, but there's something zen about being in the water of a clear stream, wading quietly and taking it all in. And by that I also mean hauling in trout.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Man I wish our dogfish (your gummy shark) tasted good. I caught a decent sized one compared to yours, instantly slaughtered it and fried it up that evening. It had a very strong metallic after taste i couldn’t get over.

That’s mercury. Welcome to flavor town!

In all seriousness, when I’ve dealt with shark, I’ve treated it a lot like gamey meat: soak a bit in buttermilk or whole milk to get the urea/metallic flavor out, then rinse/bread/fry.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Hell of a run in a couple hours in the rain off San Pedro.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Enigma posted:

Definitely a snapper, but not a not lane or mangrove. Blue by the eye is usually mutton. Otherwise it might be something specific to the region.

Mutton snapper is common on the reefs here in Belize.

Definitely tasty. Grilled and covered in green curry and coconut cream.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Sockington posted:

I need to get away from being stuck fishing one type of fish though. Some trout or salmon would make for some fun.

I had an old guy harass me at the docks yesterday morning for dumping my cleaned fish into the river flow. Said he's seen me do it a bunch, and I'm lucky a Conservation Officer hasn't seen me.

Called the Ministry of Natural Resources a bit later in the day and got their answer on it. It's written you're allowed to clean fish on a boat and dump the remains into the water, so the same is allowed from shore.

Went to the dock this morning and the same old guy was there. Told him the proper info so he can stop spreading lies. :colbert:

There’s always going to be “that guy” when you’re out. They disapprove of what you’re doing, or how you’re fishing, and they try to bully you into doing it “their way.”

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Winter trout. Amazed that one even hit the dry fly!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

That's an adorable brookie. :3

I love this kind of stuff; I'm nearly as interested in people posting where they fish as the fish that they catch. And I don't know if they're in some of the broken picture links, Chuck, but 23 in the loving net?! God drat!

For the smaller creeks out here, I can usually nab one or two every five minutes to ten minutes. The trout here, when it's peak feeding times in the spring or late summer/early fall, go ballistic.

It's great to be able to throw out a surface fly and watch more than one trout rise for it.

It sucks to watch the smallest trout actually shoot for it and slam it.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Those look great! How long have you been tying flies? I know myself well enough to know that I will probably be dabbling in that before long if I enjoy flyfishing and choose to continue doing it.

Anybody have fishing plans for the upcoming season? I was trying to think of something that would get posters to crawl out of the woodwork, like they did when the topic of irritating bystanders where you fish came up.

Also, if anybody is even vaguely curious about ordering stuff from AliExpress, this is really the ideal time to do it. Your stuff will take a while to ship, so it's better to do that now, before you actually need it. Also Chinese New Year is coming up in a couple of weeks and nothing is going to ship during that holiday time. If you want anything by March, there is little time to waste. I'm going to pick up a couple of these $10 spinning rods to use as loaners or convenient car rods.

I'll be planning another fishing and diving trip out to Belize, and I plan on hitting the Deckers area and more of the headwater area of Boulder Creek.

If I knew there were some Boulder/Denver goons interested in fishing, I'd be game to meet up to do some fishing. The warm days we have in the middle of winter still produce trout!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

Where do you fish out in Belize? I do arch research out there and have a few days off every field season.

San Pedro/Ambergris Caye near Hol Chan. The VRBO options are cheap as hell and the fishing is loving fantastic.

I was just loving around with dry/drop flies to nab sardines that I flipped around and used as bait for larger fish. I need to actually practice streamer fishing so I can shoot bonefish and small cuda near the piers.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Also I ordered a 9' 3-4 fly rod because I'm a loving champ and will slay trout/bass with that motherfucker.

FTFY.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

You're a good dad for going to his games. :)

:siren:ADDITIONAL DICK LURES INBOUND:siren:

I ordered more in case anyone who wanted one missed out. I'll be giving them away again to anybody who will use them to catch fish and subsequently post pics of them in this thread.

I'll take a dick lure, and a coozie if they get made.

TOKELAND.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Temps are up this week.

Fun times on the creek. Bunch of 10” browns all over and everywhere.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Good day out until a group of dudebros from the local uni tried to get my attention by throwing rocks at me from the trail above. They even screamed at imaginary fish.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

:murder:

You catch the cutest trout though. :3:

The network of creeks here is crazy good. Absolutely amazing. Everything between 5-15 minutes can yield 14-16” browns and rainbows, with average length around 8-10”. Generally on good days I can land one every five minutes. On amazing days it is a literal run-and-gun scenario where every other cast is hauling something out, as you casually wade up the stream.

Had a swell time in Eldo Canyon this morning. A bit slow, but I landed a half dozen with this guy really bending the rod. Looks skinny, but was in good shape, just not barrel chested. The fish are definitely awake now and are getting hungry!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Went out for a few minutes after work. Good times.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

That would be more like a few kobolds. Regardless, you have a lovely home and I'm looking forward to cleaning crabs in your yard! I'm not set up to brew lagers but I'll get a crisp pale ale going and try to fake it.

Make an altbier or kellerbier. The alt is easier since you don’t need lagering temperature. If you can maintain 55-60F, you’re fine.

gamera009 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 25, 2018

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I’ve been snooping TenBum trying to figure out a good collapsible rod that is compact enough for bike/pack fishing but burly enough to handle 5x and larger trout (16-20”).

Been tough. Most packable compacts don’t like much bigger than 6x.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Had an hour and a half to spare this after so I hit up the canyon in Eldo.

Plus a bunch of small fry. Fish are getting pretty hungry now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So here's a dumb ol question because I only have ever caught bass...

How do I start nabbing panfish or trout in my river/reservoir backyard?

There's a little cove I live on that goes out to a probably 20' deep area where the river goes into a wide dam.

It's probably 150 yards across at the widest point.

I've only been throwing 5" and up senkos on larger hooks so I'm assuming I just need different bait and smaller hooks

I've had nothing but success in the Yampa/Colorado/Frying Pan/Big Thompson throwing out the smallest rapala CDs and Trout-HD lures. I take out the front treble and leave the back one in - although I'm told swapping out for a single doesn't decrease the hookup rate any. I just don't have the time to go out and pick up the right size hook. I'm too busy hauling in trout. :3: