Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So you want to play constructed Magic but you're too attached to your kidneys to sell them. My friend, I have just the thing for you: Pauper: the format of the poor kings.

What's pauper?

Pauper is a format where only cards that were printed at common on Magic: the Gathering Online (MTGO) are legal. So no Hymn to Tourach. Sorry!
So what's legal?

Every common aside from the ones that haven't been printed at common on MTGO, as well as a small ban list. Cloud of Faeries is legal for some reason.

So what's not legal?

Cloudpost
Cranial Plating
Empty the Warrens
Frantic Search
Grapeshot
Invigorate
Temporal Fissure
Treasure Cruise

So what can you play in pauper?

What can't you play?! Some of the more common archetypes include:

Mono-black control
Blue-black control
Affinity
Mono-blue or Blue-black Delver
Esper Familiar combo
RUG Tron
UR Kiln Fiend Delver
Acid Trip

So grab your $30 commons, your draft leavings, and your standard all-stars and let's battle.

You can find a lot more archetypes here, and if you don't like anything I can try to help you find something else. There's a few decks that don't show up on there.

We'll be playing on MTGO.

Who's playing and what is their MTGO name?

suicidesteve - suicidesteve44 - RUG Tron
lawman - thelawinator - Mono-Black
Fingers McLongDong - fingersmld - Affinity
Lonely Bridge - whataboutcats- RUG Tron
always be closing - alwaysbeclosing - RUG Tron
Snacksmaniac - grost1ja - Acid Trip
Static Equilibrium - pootmachine - Mono-G Stompy
L0cke17 - lockeandload - 5-color Skred Control?!
Hellsau - hellsau - UWR Kuldotha
instantrunoffvote - instantrunoffvote - Breakfast Burrito
Standard.Deviant - joekullhaups - UB Control
netcat - pepperplant - UWR Value
Field Balm - Wilbax- UR Aggro
Jassi007 - jsiggy - UWR Kuldotha
checkplease - ch3ckplease - BG Dredge
Terrible Horse - dworld - UWR Kuldotha
Dehtraen - dwmmft - Acid Trip
Some Numbers - somenumbers23 - GW Sliver Stompy
Irony be My Shield - ibms - Mono-Red Heroic
Cactrot - cactrot - Delver Fiend
Boco_t - boco_t - Midnight Guard/Gond's Presence combo
just rust - kantanmode – Mono-Black
DAD LOST MY IPOD – Sygerrik – Joblins
Mikujin – Mikujin - Burn
Kleedrac – Kleedrac - Impact Tokens
Doctor Oozy – Oozy - White Weenie
Tim Raines IRL - linearb - Elves
Four Score - awd1 - Acid Trip
PleasantDirge - BigMACKenzie - Soul Sisters
superstepa - superstepa - Burn

The pairings are here.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I'm in I'm IN! I'm also available to help people make decisions and/or brew as my local store did a lot of pauper stuff for a long time.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Oh also, what do we want to do with deck lists? Secret until top X, secret for the first round, open for the entire thing? I'm a fan of keeping them secret personally.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Is this being played on MTGO or some other program?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Well if decklists are secret there is a certain level of tech one can expect. There are weird cards out there that can really mess someone up if they aren't prepared.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Is this being played on MTGO or some other program?

I'd prefer to play on MTGO but whatever. Xmage and Cockatrice are fine. I can lend people some MTGO cards if they need them.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 30, 2015

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

I'd prefer to play on MTGO but whatever. Xmage and Cockatrice are fine. I can lend people some MTGO cards if they need them.

I'm fine with mtgo but if people are using unofficial programs we're still using the mtgo rules right? We're finishing up a pauper league at the local shop and I've been enjoying using my hymns.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

When was treasure cruise banned? I thought it was still playable on MTGO. I'm down to play if MTGO is decided on as the venue!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

field balm posted:

When was treasure cruise banned? I thought it was still playable on MTGO. I'm down to play if MTGO is decided on as the venue!

Quite a while back, around the same time it was banned in other formats. It was warping the meta pretty hard, though having a 1 mana draw 3 made tron a lot better.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I miss treasure cruise but I can agree that ancestral recall might be a bit too powerful for the commons-only format.

Also I migh be interested in playing in this if it's on modo

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah it was great to throw around so much power. Pauper is a surprisingly high powered format in general though!

Probably gonna play my UR brew instead of something good.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
I'm in, assuming we're still on Xmage or you have MODO cards for me.

standard.deviant fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 30, 2015

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

I am in, have some decks on MTGO that I can play. I love these goon leagues

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I'd love to get involved in this, but I'm in the UK. I'll try to be pretty flexible with my play times, but if I can't make a game for whatever reason, I'll just drop immediately. I hope that's OK with you guys. (As long as it's on XMage, Cockatrice or Untap.in -- I don't want to buy cards on MTGO just for this).

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I'd love to buy cards on modo just for this. I'm in, can only play during the mornings est on the weekends.

The good thing about pauper is that it once again has support from wotc, so you can take your $30-50 deck from this tourney and play for stakes in modo whenever you want.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

If people don't want to buy a MTGO account just for this, that's cool. We can play on whatever you have available. Like I said, I have some cards I can lend out but I don't have most of the more expensive cards (Cuombajj Witches, Snaps, etc.) If anyone does have cards/decks they're willing to let people borrow let me know.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'd play only if it is contained to MTGO.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Sign me up for this thing. I'd prefer to MODO (and can probably lend out a deck or two--I think I have most of the format staples, minus affinity cards and some of the pricer blue instants like snap and daze) but I could probably figure out xmage or cockatrice or whatever.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 30, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So is the consensus here that we mostly want to play on MTGO?

I have RUG Tron, Acid Trip, and GW Sliver Stompy built, so if anyone has an account but not a deck let me know. They share a few cards but I'm working on getting them. I can probably build some other decks too, which I'll look into later. Unfortunately MTGO seems to not be working right now.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Id play. Still have a pauper deck from ages ago on modo, and its so cheap to build new ones.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Just bought a deck, this is gonna be fun.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

suicidesteve posted:

So is the consensus here that we mostly want to play on MTGO?

Yeah sign me up. I'd prefer to play on MTGO, but more because I'm too lazy to setup xmage or cockatrice. I'll even add a Masters Edition 4 pack to the prize pool if we're doing MTGO.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I updated the OP with a list of people who are playing so far. Everyone post your MTGO name. Anyone who's under the maybe section, let me know if you're ok playing on MTGO.

Edit: Also let me know if you have spare decks or cards - stuff like Snap, Daze, Cuombajj Witches, etc. Anything that's like $5 for no real reason. I have 4 Dazes and a Snap that I won't be using.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 30, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

I updated the OP with a list of people who are playing so far. Everyone post your MTGO name. Anyone who's under the maybe section, let me know if you're ok playing on MTGO.

Edit: Also let me know if you have spare decks or cards - stuff like Snap, Daze, Cuombajj Witches, etc. Anything that's like $5 for no real reason. I have 4 Dazes and a Snap that I won't be using.

MTGO name same as here. I'll probably be playing one of these decks:

Mono-Blue Delver
Mono-Black Control
Goblins
Burn
Affinity
Jeskai Kuldotha
Acid Trip
Familiar Combo
U/R Fiend

so whatever I don't play I can loan out. Pauper is great.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I will probably join, I'm in Europe though so there might be timezone troubles.

I'm Pepperplant on modo. I will hopefully be playing something janky like reanimator or tortured existance.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

I'm whataboutcats on MODO. Likely gonna go with mono black, maybe teachings (no please no). I might try to find something else spicy though, who knows!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm FingersMLD on modo. I have tron, affinity, and U/B teachings on modo but I'm not sure if I'll play one of those or throw a new deck together.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

I'm cool with modo although it might influence my deck choice a bit but that's fine. As for pauper cards to lend besides my main deck all I have are weird things like UB tortured existence and mono blue affinity which are both... not good? Would not suggest going after them.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Joekullhops assuming I can beg/borrow/steal cards for either UWRtifacts or UB control.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, I'm in for this. MODO name is the same as here. Not sure if I'll play a real deck or just try to turn 1 people, but right now I'm leaning towards the latter.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Modo name: lockeandload

Anyone have a tutorial for how to use a drat bot? I havent used this to buy or trade since the beta version became the only version and the whole thing is very confusing looking now.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

I'm pootmachine on MTGO.

standard.deviant posted:

Joekullhops assuming I can beg/borrow/steal cards for either UWRtifacts or UB control.

I probably have most of the cards you'd want in either of these decks (looking at MTGGoldfish, the only things I'm missing from typical lists are Exclude and Hydroblast, I think), so I could probably help you out here.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I have Pauper Decks, sounds fun, count me in

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I'm definitely in seeing as people are keen for magic online. I'm Wilbax on mtgo, feel free to add me for friendly matches. In Australia, so my hours might be a little wierd.

My UR brew doesn't really feel like it needs U without treasure cruise, but ninja and ponder are too good (decklist discussion here, or take it to the brew thread?). I don't really like slinging counterspells but I might try out one of the angler delver variants, the stinky fish version in particular looks like a load of fun! http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/magic-online-formats/pauper/developing/647850-primer-angler-delver

E1: I'd recommend people be careful about playing familiar combo, while it puts up decent results it is incredibly draining/not fun/longwinded to play, and people WILL make you play out the combo. I guess this applies to all infinite combos online, but this is the one I see the most.

E2: If anyone is getting bummed out at all the control and aggro/control decks that seem to dominate the format, don't worry - hexproof, infect, goblins and white wheenie are all pretty straight up aggro decks that can, and do, win. Infect especially can just godhand you.

field balm fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 31, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Modo SN: alwaysbeclosing

I don't mind deck discussion, but I'll defer to el Steve.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

field balm posted:

E1: I'd recommend people be careful about playing familiar combo, while it puts up decent results it is incredibly draining/not fun/longwinded to play, and people WILL make you play out the combo. I guess this applies to all infinite combos online, but this is the one I see the most.

E2: If anyone is getting bummed out at all the control and aggro/control decks that seem to dominate the format, don't worry - hexproof, infect, goblins and white wheenie are all pretty straight up aggro decks that can, and do, win. Infect especially can just godhand you.

I'd hope people in here would be decent enough not to make someone play the game out if they're dead. Except for me, I'm totally going to.

For some reason MTGO seems to be at least half mono-U, mono-B, or U/B. It would be a lot more annoying if Tron didn't smash those decks.

Does anyone have an opinion on deck lists? Like I said, I'm partial to keeping them secret but I can go either way. I would like to get a variety of decks in here so I guess that's one reason to have public deck lists.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Just give them all to McMagic. Not for any particular reason, I just think it's funny to send all thunderdome related things to him.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

I like the green tron deck but I feel like it loses hard to the blue delver decks (actual 100% of the MTGO meta). Is the RUG or whatever tron deck different? I don't have experience with that build, maybe I'll look into it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Lonely Bridge posted:

I like the green tron deck but I feel like it loses hard to the blue delver decks (actual 100% of the MTGO meta). Is the RUG or whatever tron deck different? I don't have experience with that build, maybe I'll look into it.

I play the rug deck, it will beat blue delver as long as they don't draw literally every counter. You draw a shitload of cards, get firebolt, flameslash, and rolling thunder, and with all the eggs and prisms it's not too hard to always have the colors you need. Personally I recommend it over green tron or blue tron just because it's better vs delver and aggressive decks.

Here's the build I've used for a while, keeping in mind there's a lot of variations of rug tron in terms of what number of each creature you run: http://deckbox.org/sets/957434

Add whatever sideboard as necessary, basically some number of blue/red elemental blasts, ray of revelation, electrickery, and I like CoP: red too

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lonely Bridge posted:

Green Tron is sweet because you get to run a bunch of Ulamog's Crushers which is kind of an insane card, as well as ways to tutor for them, and you get Crop Rotation for easier Tron.

My only real experience with the deck is beating it once with RUG Tron and once with Acid Trip. I would guess that it's better against mono-black because you have a bunch of Maul Splicers, and RUG Tron (at least game 1) because you have a bunch of Crushers. And like Fingers said, you're going to be a lot worse against aggro/Delver decks.

• Locked thread