Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for December, 2015
This poll is closed.
:smithmouth: Shingo Takagi (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 15 10.34%
:perfect: Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) 50 34.48%
:fella: Sheamus (FORMER WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 6 4.14%
:mufasa: Roman Reigns (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 38 26.21%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 4 2.76%
:heysexy: Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 4 2.76%
:11tea: I'm Steamed About These Bad Champions (None of the Above) 28 19.31%
Total: 145 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last month, "Mr Selfish" Shingo Takagi became only the second Open the Dream Gate Champion to win the monthly poll, furthering 2015's status as having the most diverse range of Champions our poll has ever had. Shingo's superb matches had people raving, but now that he's got the nod can he do it again or will it be one and done?

Now it is time to see who was our Champion for the month of December. To be eligible, a wrestler needs to have held any of the currently accepted title belts for at least one day of the month OR had at least one title defense since becoming Champion. This means if someone wins the title on the last day of the month and defends it that night, they're eligible, and if they win the title on the first day of the month and don't defend it at all, they're eligible. The only case where someone won't be eligible is if they win the title on the last day of the month and don't defend it. Please note that belts for promotions such as PWG haven't been included in monthly polls so far because not only can months go by where the Champion doesn't defend their belt, but where the Champion doesn't make an appearance or even do a promo about his title. If you feel this is inaccurate and you are willing to provide me with links/information etc on a monthly basis showing why your favorite promotion's Champion is actively doing stuff as champ and deserves to be on the poll, then I'm happy to change this stance. Similarly, NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the poll for that reason. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone - Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread!

:smithmouth: Shingo Takagi (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - While Shingo easily won the poll last month, his championship reign through December was a troubled one. His early title defense against Gamma ended in a no contest, and then he and his Verserk teammates failed to defeat Monster Express to win the vacant Triangle Gate titles. A feud against the Over Generation stable went better for him, including a successful title defense against CIMA to wrap up a successful 2015 for "Mr Selfish".

:perfect: Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) - Lethal's loss of his TV Title could have marked the start of a downward spiral for a guy who has been on skyrocketing up the wrestling world over the last couple of years with no signs of slowing down. But it proved just a blip on the radar, as Lethal successfully defended his ROH title against legitimately one of the best wrestler's in the world today - AJ Styles. Though Styles is working injured and perhaps saving himself for his big IC Title match at Wrestle Kingdom 10, he and Lethal still put on an excellent match with the latter getting a lot of credit for both working the injury into the match as well as being careful not to do any actual damage to him. Lethal is a world beater, somebody who deserves to be seen on a bigger stage - that will come in 2016 at Wrestle Kingdom 10 in a title defense against Michael Elgin but for now your choice is whether Lethal's continued title run gets him your vote for the month of December.

:fella: Sheamus (FORMER WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - After successfully cashing in on Roman Reigns in November, Sheamus was able to successfully defend his belt at the TLC PPV thanks to a hell of a lot of interference from the League of Nations. Unfortunately, after taking a gigantic beating from Reigns in the aftermath, the next night on Raw Sheamus rushed for revenge when he thought having Vince McMahon at his back would guarantee yet another screwjob. Unfortunately for Roman, it did not.

:mufasa: Roman Reigns (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - Losing to Sheamus due to League of Nations interference, Roman seemed to snap and finally began delivering again on the sort of thing he used to do back in The Shield when he was the popular guy that WWE then decided to "help him" become. Roman destroyed the League and beat Triple H to a pulp, and the next night on Raw was meant to face comeuppance from THE MAN himself, Vince McMahon. But Roman would be denied no longer, and despite blatant cheating and interference he put down the League of Nations, Sheamus and Vince himself before pinning Sheamus and regaining his title in the very same city where he was hugely booed at the Royal Rumble on the day that was meant to mark his arrival as the top Face in the company. Since then, Roman has mostly done what he should be doing - beating the poo poo out of people and not giving a gently caress about their flustering, flailing attempts to get under his skin. But after all those months of bad booking, terrible scripted promos and a leash on his natural charisma, was December finally enough to get Roman your vote?

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - As always happens at this time of year, things are quiet for the IWGP Champion. Though he's appeared in multiple shows in multi-man matches, everything is really being saved for the biggest event of NJPW's year - Wrestle Kingdom at the Tokyo Dome. That will be a matter for the January 2016 poll, for now you can only vote for Okada based on what he's been doing in December. In this case, that's he and his CHAOS stable having a bunch of tag matches against Hiroshi Tanahashi and other wrestlers as the two vie for dominance and momentum leading into January.

:heysexy: Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - Similarly to Okada, Nakamura has had a quiet December as he builds towards the biggest show of 2016 for NJPW. Nakamura will face AJ Styles in defense of his IC Belt, a dream match that would have most salivating except that AJ is going into the match with a bulging disc in his back. Nakamura himself has long been said to be walking wounded as well, but I have no doubt the two of them are going to deliver a blowaway match in January. But that's January, in December there has been little to justify giving him your vote... but it's YOUR vote so do what you want with it!

:11tea: I'm Steamed About These Bad Champions (None of the Above) - If you think none of these Champions deserve your vote, want to protest the lack of another option, or just want to see how the votes add up, feel free to vote for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
that's right. Roman Reigns

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bard Maddox posted:

that's right. Roman Reigns

:yeah:

Roman is a refreshing champion and won it in a cool match.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I checked my records and... what's this? why, It's Bayley, who retained her title in her fourth defense in only four months!!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Voting for anyone other than Lethal should be a crime

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RaceyBucket posted:

Lethal's paid his dues, time after time. Now I've voted in this poll....

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Chaos reigns

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
I will never not vote for Rainmaker when given the opportunity.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

RaceyBucket posted:

Voting for anyone other than LethalShingo should be a crime

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

RaceyBucket posted:

I voted for him, but I can't blame anyone for voting Roman.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lethal deserves it this month as his match with Styles was better than Shingo/CIMA imo.

81sidewinder posted:

I voted for him, but I can't blame anyone for voting Roman.

I could've seen voting for Roman if it wasn't for the two Raws after the one he won the title on.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Here is Shingo vs. CIMA before it gets taken down. This is why I'm voting for Shingo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoX4cdJ2OtE

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The big dog's time is finally now.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

vote trump ROMAN REIGNS

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

abraham linksys posted:

I checked my records and... what's this? why, It's Bayley, who retained her title in her fourth defense in only four months!!

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
People voting for Bayley over Lethal or Takagi are on some serious poo poo. Sure she got a surprisingly good match out of Jax but Styles/Lethal and CIMA/Takagi were in a completely different stratosphere. Even Reigns winning the belt on Raw was a far more significant moment.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
voted for that cute lil' kettle

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

People voting for Bayley over Lethal or Takagi are on some serious poo poo. Sure she got a surprisingly good match out of Jax but Styles/Lethal and CIMA/Takagi were in a completely different stratosphere. Even Reigns winning the belt on Raw was a far more significant moment.

What if they really like Bayley

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

RaceyBucket posted:

Yeah, he's really proven his worth. The jury is still out on Roman - they're moving in the right direction, but lovely WWE booking can still kill him dead.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Discount Trombones posted:

Yeah, he's really proven his worth. The jury is still out on Roman - they're moving in the right direction, but lovely WWE booking can still kill him dead.

Fortunately we're not voting on the future

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
huh was the ROH PPV worth a buy? didn't expect Lethal to be dominating this poll like he is, guess it must have been a good match

I wish ROH did anything for me as a product, I liked it live but their TV show is real bad and I don't wanna spend a bunch on their PPVs

Grozz Nuy posted:

good thing we're voting for Champion of the Month and not match of the month then :colbert:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Roddy has 2 belts now

ILU roddy

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Jay Lethal is the Champion of all Champions. If you vote for anyone else you are delusional and should seek help

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i picked jay lethal but roman has been good too

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

good thing we're voting for Champion of the Month and not match of the month then :colbert:

How do you judge a champion if not by their defenses?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The one I like the most

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Jay Lethal is a baller and is one of the most consistent performers in any promotion all year and capped it off with that incredible loving Final Battle, he's got my vote

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

oatgan posted:

The one I like the most

Seriously why is this so hard, vote for the one prefer over the others.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jay Lethal is a good example of what happens when you stick by somebody and let them develop slowly. He's come a long way from being Joe's young boy.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

oatgan posted:

What if they really like Bayley

I don't think there's that many little girls on the forum.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

After rewatching all four of his title defenses against the veterans, I'm actually really fine with the outcome of the Shingo/Gamma match. The story they've been telling has been one of Shingo beating each veteran at their own game. He out-hossed Fuji, he out-struck Mochizuki, he out-garbage brawled Gamma, and he, while not exactly out-wrestled CIMA, powered through his more technical aspects in order to deliver a final "gently caress you" capstone to this whole feud with Dragon Gate's first-gen stars. His reign has been a fantastic form of long-form storytelling in the best possible way and his December as champion was an amazing end to his first month's long story arc as Dream Gate champ.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What Dimebags said. This was Mr. Selfish's year.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I voted Reigns because Reigns actually makes me care. thank you for listening to my opinion on this wrestling champion of the month poll.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lethal is currently winning but it's still close enough that some votes could make a difference. If I remember right, the poll should be ending sometime today, so get in your votes if you haven't already. The Year-End Poll will go up after I get the results for this month.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Congratulations to Jay Lethal, who wins the last month of 2015. All that remains to be seen now is who will be the Champion of the Year.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

reopen the poll i'd like to vote for lethal

• Locked thread