Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

But then he wouldn't get his sword!

I wonder if the next star on the LP will be shown taking the plunge.

You can still get the sword if he abysses himself, that's how I got the halberd in a future area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Veloxyll posted:

But then he wouldn't get his sword!

I wonder if the next star on the LP will be shown taking the plunge.

Black Knights work like Minibosses, dastardliness is encouraged.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just rang the first bell. So I am now... at the point where my playthroughs always end. Gonna try to push past though.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Just chiming in to say I dig the solo commentary. I fear that adding co-commentators would only serve to distract you from the storytelling which I think is the main draw of this LP.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Alrighty, I'm back in the States and also totally through my video buffer once I post this:

06 - Taurus Drake

In which I take way too long fighting a boss because I'm rambling and then get overly sentimental about the Drake Sword. Enjoy!

e: whoops, here's the article I talked about in the vid: http://www.destructoid.com/a-grandson-s-struggle-with-alzheimer-s-and-dark-souls-243378.phtml

Vicas fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 6, 2016

Ziere Tole
Oct 29, 2011
Solaire will stay there until the end of the game if you don't talk to him. It's actually a useful way to "correctly" complete his quest line as you can kill the bugs before ever talking to him.

You also definitely can slide down ladders, but it is a bit picky. It seems like you have to be stationary on the ladder before you start holding B to do the slide, which looks like the reason you're having trouble with it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Ziere Tole posted:

Solaire will stay there until the end of the game if you don't talk to him. It's actually a useful way to "correctly" complete his quest line as you can kill the bugs before ever talking to him.

That actually makes sense since otherwise the item that lets you summon help would be missable.

Edit - I made this post before watching the video, that's why this post is so incredibly useless.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 6, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
vicas keeps remarking about version differences but was anything actually outright removed like he thought the drake sword might be?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

death .cab for qt posted:

By the way, you never showed and read the description of the Estus Flask. It's kind of important.

Giant Dad is a specific build notorious in PVP. It uses the Giant's Armor, the Mask of the Father, and the Zweihander. These are minmaxy items that let you flatten most PVE encounters while taking minimal damage and, importantly, Poise Damage. Poise determines whether you can be interrupted mid-attack, while the Zweihander has long wind-ups for its swings. The mask boosts stamina regen.

So, these items compounded with the Grass Crest Shield, the cloranthy ring, and a green blossom, all stamina-regen-boosting items, make you very quick on attacking repeatedly. You become Giant Dad, as the meme of builds goes. It lets you attack through your opponents' builds, stagger them, then time your swings to stun lock them until they died. It was very commonplace for a long time in PVP because it was so effective, and even after balancing patches, still sees use because it is effective in shutting down people who aren't prepared to counter specifically high poise attacks which can ignore their attempts to stagger you.

A few little details wrong there. The Mask of the Father increases equip load, not Stam regen (that's Child I think). The build usually skips the Cloranthy ring in order to use both Havel's and the Ring of Favor and Protection. Both ring are ALSO equip load boosters. The final touch is that you only raise your offensive stats just enough to use the sword with both hands and make it into a Chaos weapon, which scales based on liquid humanity.

It's insanely tanky both defense and poise wise and once you stun someone they're pretty much dead. It's so simple and straightforward that it induces endless rage in opponents.

See also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA8odjCzZ4

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 6, 2016

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
That linked article really touched a nerve. Going to be hard to see hollowing in any other light now.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Smoky Bandana posted:

That linked article really touched a nerve. Going to be hard to see hollowing in any other light now.

Whiiiich reminds me, I forgot to link it in the post and OP, like I was meaning to :v:

It's in the YouTube description as well, but in case people didn't see it: http://www.destructoid.com/a-grandson-s-struggle-with-alzheimer-s-and-dark-souls-243378.phtml

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

See now, the "Yulia is a cat" thing had me like, okay, you're taking the piss. But this puts it in the right light. And this, now, this is probably one of the single strongest images running through this series, and it's incredible, and it's heartbreaking. When they talk about humanity being a theme and not just a gameplay mechanic, this is what they mean, because this is as human a subject as it gets.

If there is one thing that Dark Souls II does right, story-wise, is carry this theme along. Spoilers just in case anyone has yet to play and intends to, but to lay it all out: The intro cutscene dives right into it by having an image of the classic Madonna and Child, that timeless icon of love and family, melt before a hollowing undead's eyes. It's similarly overt in other places, like with the armorer, and the blacksmith and his daughter. It's subtle, in others, with the sorcerer and his pyromancer apprentice. It's even subverted in places, with the most visibly ancient character, the hag merchant, coming off as lucid, energetic, and even a bit roguish. Your own story starts you off in a home of the elderly, along with their very patient caretaker, who only have dismissals and derisive laughter for you, and reaches a climax showing the fate of the monarch you've been instructed to seek out. No lie, seeing the fate of King Vendrick -- the stark, unfettered, straightforward reveal that it was -- might've been the only time in recent memory where a video game got me seriously choked up. It's all about what "going hollow" actually represents, and it might be Dark Souls' best claim to the old "games are art" argument.

But I still think Yulia is actually the Undead Merchant's uchigatana.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 6, 2016

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

While the arrow strategy is popular and safe. Its perfectly possible to use a melee weapon and some of the Gold Pine Resin to just hack the tail of when the Drake has landed. To me it feels like that is the intended way to grab it. When the Drake lands it breathes fire and gives you a good opportunity to walk to its back and give the tail 2 or 3 heavy swings, which is enough to cut it off with the Resin up.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Tzarnal posted:

While the arrow strategy is popular and safe. Its perfectly possible to use a melee weapon and some of the Gold Pine Resin to just hack the tail of when the Drake has landed. To me it feels like that is the intended way to grab it. When the Drake lands it breathes fire and gives you a good opportunity to walk to its back and give the tail 2 or 3 heavy swings, which is enough to cut it off with the Resin up.

I've never tried that before but it doesn't surprise me that it would work. Given its low stat requirements and difficulty scaling past a certain point (as all dragon weapons are) I really do think the Drake Sword was intentionally made fairly easy to get if you're paying attention or daring enough. It feels like a very From-style way of making an easy-mode

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Vicas posted:

I've never tried that before but it doesn't surprise me that it would work. Given its low stat requirements and difficulty scaling past a certain point (as all dragon weapons are) I really do think the Drake Sword was intentionally made fairly easy to get if you're paying attention or daring enough. It feels like a very From-style way of making an easy-mode

Eh, I'm not a huge fan of it and feel like it's a newbie trap, honestly. The attack pattern isn't super-great, and it's slow. Also fairly heavy. If you try to use it much past the first bell you're going to get wrecked. I speak from experience.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
In my first run I rocked it all the way to Sen's, at which point I had a better handle on the crafting system and overall gameplay. The attack pattern is slow but it teaches you a lot about how the game itself is slow and methodical

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm wondering if the drake dragon fight works as FROM intended. It's not very interesting of a fight if you get one-shot by a foe and the environmental guards make me think you should be able to use those but then it launches into a vertical attack that completely nullifies any defenses you may have had (and then does it again while you're stunlocked if you managed to survive).

Not a fan of the drake. OTOH the game clearly intends for you to go under the bridge for the first time through what with the locked gate and the hollows & rats positioned just right for ambushing a player coming from the undead burg bonfire so IDK.

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 6, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, I thought he was just petting the barrel, but if he's petting an invisible cat IN the barrel, that makes his "watch out, she bites" comment make a lot more sense.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I always figured he was talking about the sword he drops.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Vicas, how are you planning to talk about the story? You mentioned that the mother and child statues are important imagery, but didn't talk about why. Are you going to wait until later in the game, or after you finish an area, or...?

I ask because I wonder how freely we can talk about story stuff and how it plays into level design in this thread.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's easy to miss, but you got an extra chug of Estus during the fight against Taurus, with a subtle glow and sound effect to go with it. If I recall correctly, it took a loooooong time for the community to confirm what caused that to happen.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

It's easy to miss, but you got an extra chug of Estus during the fight against Taurus, with a subtle glow and sound effect to go with it. If I recall correctly, it took a loooooong time for the community to confirm what caused that to happen.

Someone upvoting a note you made, right?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Speedball posted:

Someone upvoting a note you made, right?

I thought it was someone kindeling your "home" bonfire.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm sorry, Vicas, but did you say you can't slide down ladders in Dark Souls 1? :psyduck:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Tzarnal posted:

I thought it was someone kindeling your "home" bonfire.

It's this. Somebody upvoting your note heals you to full but doesn't give you a charge of estus.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

It's this. Somebody upvoting your note heals you to full but doesn't give you a charge of estus.

Actually, rating a note in DS1 does absolutely nothing at all. That's why a grand majority of notes written are at 0, because there's no reason to ever rate them :geno:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Promontory posted:

Vicas, how are you planning to talk about the story? You mentioned that the mother and child statues are important imagery, but didn't talk about why. Are you going to wait until later in the game, or after you finish an area, or...?

I ask because I wonder how freely we can talk about story stuff and how it plays into level design in this thread.

I am doing absolutely no planning at all and just talking about whatever feels good to talk about. I've been pretty free with spoilers pertaining to DS1 in this thread because this is sort of aimed at people who have played the game before and know the general flow of things

So basically go hog wild, but please try to keep it at least tangentially related to where the LP has reached. There's no reason to talk about the Sisters of Chaos or Gwendolyn's whole deal right now, but if you wanna talk about that mother/child motif and reference things later in the game that's fine. I don't really have much to say on it beyond pointing it out anyway, truth be told

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm sorry, Vicas, but did you say you can't slide down ladders in Dark Souls 1? :psyduck:

I was trying to slide the DS2 way, shrug. A lot of the minor changes 2 made to the mechanics really throw me off

Paracelsus posted:

I saw it happen but I was in the middle of something else and forgot to go back to it. I'll try to remember to talk about it next time it happens, but I'm not really in a rush to explain it because it can happen just about anywhere in the game. You can kinda assume that about a lot of the mechanics that recur throughout the game

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Vicas posted:

I saw it happen but I was in the middle of something else and forgot to go back to it. I'll try to remember to talk about it next time it happens, but I'm not really in a rush to explain it because it can happen just about anywhere in the game. You can kinda assume that about a lot of the mechanics that recur throughout the game

As a happy coincidence. Before when you were discussing Humanity from kills you managed to get a humanity from a hollow during your discussion of it, don't know if you ever noticed, you didn't mention it. But it was very convenient.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Vicas posted:

I was trying to slide the DS2 way, shrug. A lot of the minor changes 2 made to the mechanics really throw me off

No matter what people may say about DS2, a lot of the Character/Control/Camera changes are really good and better than DS1 overall.

Plus there are more viable variations in weapons, spells and armors. I've been replaying DS1 recently (inspired by this thread actually); When I got to Anor Londo, literally everybody I dealt with was wielding a great scythe (both invading and summoned).

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah, DS2 really refined the gameplay of DS1 and took out a lot of the rough bits and annoyances. Jumping in this game is a real adventure

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
oh cool it's Gwyn's Firstborn

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

oh cool it's Gwyn's Firstborn

Not necessarily, but you bet your rear end Solaire is a Gwyn fanboy at the least.

One of the things I love about Dark Souls is how so little of the background images are just there to be background. Usually, if you can see it, you can later visit it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Speedball posted:

Not necessarily, but you bet your rear end Solaire is a Gwyn fanboy at the least.

One of the things I love about Dark Souls is how so little of the background images are just there to be background. Usually, if you can see it, you can later visit it.

I can't wait for Vicas to go to the sun.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Speedball posted:

I believe this was before the "See those mountains there? You can go there" became a marketing catch phrase.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I never liked the "Solaire is the Firstborn" theory. It sort of trivializes his character, in a way. Like, every detail about him, via his gear, seems to emphasize that he's a perfectly normal guy who earned his skills through good old-fashioned practice. While he emulates Gwyn and the nameless firstborn in certain ways, it's more likely that he's simply done his research and is cultivating that image on purpose, given how openly he idolizes the Lord of Sunlight.

Despite other NPCs commenting on his thickheadedness, I like to think he's pretty well-read. "The flow of time is convoluted, and relations shift and obscure" aren't the words of a moron.

Also, no wonder he's so popular. Dialogue and goofy poses aside, he's one of the first people you'll meet who's openly kind and helpful.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mazed posted:

Also, no wonder he's so popular. Dialogue and goofy poses aside, he's one of the first people you'll meet who's openly kind and helpful.

Perhaps the only unambiguously friendly guy except for maybe a few trainers, yeah! Everyone else is bizarre and/or threatening in an offputting way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Was looking at the Old LP. Question anyone know what part Nito is fought in.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Was looking at the Old LP. Question anyone know what part Nito is fought in.

*distant laughter, as if carried from far away by a stiff breeze*

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Though in all honesty I believe Geop cut it into the very last video of that LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Mazed posted:

I never liked the "Solaire is the Firstborn" theory. It sort of trivializes his character, in a way. Like, every detail about him, via his gear, seems to emphasize that he's a perfectly normal guy who earned his skills through good old-fashioned practice. While he emulates Gwyn and the nameless firstborn in certain ways, it's more likely that he's simply done his research and is cultivating that image on purpose, given how openly he idolizes the Lord of Sunlight.

While my original post was mostly just trolling since I know there are a lot of people around here who absolutely despise this theory, I'm gonna respond to this because it's the most common criticism of the theory that I see and I've never really seen how it's valid or how it trivializes Solaire's character in the slightest. The ring says that the firstborn had his "deific status" rescinded, which can be read in a lot of ways, and the way I've always read it is that it took away not only his title or his name, but the powers that would have made him godly in the first place. If all of that got taken away from him, if he was left with nothing godly, hell not even a human (or an undead), but he still worked as hard as he could after that to be great again, to find the sun, his father, and became, through himself alone, the badass lightning thrower that we know, I think that makes for a better story than him just being some dude.

• Locked thread