Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

She's the queen of sunlight so I figured the sunlight went away because you killed her. Where does the running off info come from?

Regarding the princess, there is an item with the description that straight out tells you that the princess left Anor Londo a long time ago, married some god, got some kids and became a loved and loving mother. That's one big flag that should tell you something isn't right here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Gwynevere is an illusion because she disappears in one hit and fades like the illusion walls.

She also doesn't drop any souls. But Ornstein does?? Idk I haven't played 3 yet

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Alright, too many black bars. I don't mind these kinds of discussions but keep in mind that I am going to talk about Gwyndolin's whole deal and that this idea of controlled decay that's all over Anor Londo plays into that quite a lot

As a quick clarification, however, the lands outside Lordran are not doing alright. They've been beset by the undead plague and their societies are either in decline or entirely collapsed at this point. As we'll see sometime during the next session, they've been searching for solutions to the undead plight for hundreds of years by the time the game starts, sending their bravest warriors, the knights and kings of legend, into the land of Lords to seek a remedy for the plague, and to a one they've all failed. The legendary status of the PC's quest, and even the idea of a "Chosen Undead" who can succeed where all these great and powerful warriors failed gets its gravitas from exactly this fact. There's actually a pretty big distinction in this game between "legend" and "Lord" with a capital L that's never made completely apparent. Hopefully I'll get more of a chance to talk about it in future videos

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Also, maybe not talk about the third game in spoiler tags as well? Thought I was just reading about DS1, which I've beaten, but LOL HEY THIS IS HOW A THING RELATES TO DS3 is kinda not cool when you haven't beaten DS3 yet.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Also very that, yes. I'm not putting my vids on polsy to avoid related video spoilers anymore but let's just treat it as if we are still in that very early release phase, for everyone's sake

(also i kinda haven't beaten dark souls 3 yet)

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
How has this space jam mashup not been linked yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OZU3fi08-o

Also don't think too hard about Ornstein and DS3, I think people are reading into it way more than the just From wanting a cool throwback fan service boss and also wanted to put his armor somewhere that made slightly more than no sense.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Another thing about S&O... their armor is gorgeous. Just like everything else in Anor Londo. You spend so much of the game plumbing the depths of disgusting holes, then you ascend to a dazzling city and fight two golden warriors.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

A few more things regarding Anor Londo that I don't think came up...

That creepy sound effect Vicas noted a few videos back was in fact the breathing of the Titanite Demon. You can hear it long before you can see that it's there and it definitely lends to the unsettling atmosphere of the place.

On top of everything else that illustrates their questionable state: the Silver Knights walk with a distinctive stagger, similar to the way a player does when their equip load is too high. The black knights, despite bearing visibly heavier equipment, do not. Just another piece of good visual storytelling.

The Darkmoon Tomb, which was visited earlier, is directly beneath the Anor Londo cathedral. This might or might not be obvious to people due to the way the screw-elevator in the middle of the city works (well, speaking for myself...for the longest time I thought it was under the painting gallery. :v: )

The whole inspiration for Anor Londo came when the game director took a vacation in Europe and visited some famous Renaissance cathedrals, and imagined how cool it would be to walk on the flying buttresses. It's just great how the actual buttress-walking portion of the game is considered one of the cruelest.

Gwynevere's design was going to be a bit more conservative, but apparently the artist responsible for her was so proud of it that no one had the heart to tell him to tone it down. I feel like they absolutely made the correct choice, for the same reason things like the mimic monster design, the oddness of the Giant Blacksmith's dialect, Smough's armor, the Catarina armor, and the iconically silly "Praise the Sun" pose work so well.

And on a personal note, one of these days, when I've got the cash, I'm going to get some of the paintings that are hanging up around this area printed on canvas and gaudily framed. Non-nerds who come over will only see some paintings, but nerds who come over can just deal with the depths of my own Dark Souls obsession.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

It's been a while since the video went up but I have a screenshot to show off what will be my eternal shame with this amazing boss fight.

Yeah, sure. This is a picture of me dying to Ornstein and Smough. But the thing that makes this picture special is that this was my first attempt at this boss. I fought them down to tooth and nail, and this isn't a post about how I was so good at the game or anything - I will happily admit that it was loving hard as nails and I have no clue how I even got this far. I was literally a single hit away from walking away from Dark Souls with the bragging rights to end all bragging rights, a single hit, but Smough smashed my face in with his hammer when I went in for the final attack. This ended up being an anomaly too - it took me the 20 something tries that everyone else goes through to beat this fight too. Except it all the more humiliating because while I was in the death animation I managed to take that screenshot, showing how I almost managed to just stomp these guy on my first try, but just made a panicked attack and paid the loving iron price for it. I'm pretty sure it's in my steam screenshots right now - sitting there, mocking me for eternity, over what could've been.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Oh boy, a new episode

42 - Lordvessel

For those wondering about roads not traveled this episode, I think a lot of the story of the other primordial serpent doesn't quite... hit unless you've seen Frampt's side, his strange exuberance at the thought of offing the remaining Lords. Leanne will be doing this the normal way, for the most part, but I'll probably spin up another character for the express purpose of showing off that stuff later on

And if that wasn't clear, don't talk about it, please

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Never mind exuberance, "outlived their usefulness" is straight-up Bond Villain territory.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Frampt will pay a suspiciously high amount* for Dung Pies as well, which probably explains the awful smell our missing friend complained of.

And we get inside that same mouth to be transported to the lordvessel site!

*He'll buy them for the same price it costs to purchase them, allowing them to be used as a sort of soul bank.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I don't think you mentioned this, but some of the firekeeper souls have different descriptions. Specifically, the three living firekeepers you can meet drop firekeeper souls that mention about the person who had it.

Anastacia's is:

quote:

Soul of the Ash Maiden,
Fire Keeper of Firelink Shrine.

A Fire Keeper's soul is a draw for humanity,
and held within their bosoms, below just a
thin layer of skin, are swarms of humanity
that writhe and squirm.
Was the Ash Maiden locked in this dark prison
for some transgression, or by her own will?

I'll leave it up to you whether you want to bring up the other two.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Can you put other Fire Keeper Souls in Anastasia?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
As in use them to revive her? No. As was pointed out above (and thanks for that, I did forget), despite having the same name/picture all firekeeper souls of characters we actually meet are actually separate items from both generic ones and each other

However if you're feeling saucy you can totally use these souls to boost your estus power, at the cost of their bonfire going out for the rest of the game

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
The last time I ran through regular Dark Souls I did it as a self-defined punchman run.

Only Fist weapons, Caestus, Claw, Dark Hand, and Pyro.

It was pretty fun. Also tough, no shield until you get the crappy one in the Dark Hand.

With weapons so light I was able to go around wearing most of Iron Tarkus' gear and get the Fast Roll by wearing all the equip load rings.

Did somehow manage to beat Ornstein/Smough on my first try by pyroing Ornstein to death and rolling through Smough's hits.

People told to go record that crap, but I never know what to say when recording stuff.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
This game allows a stunning number of challenge runs and effective strategies. Once you grasp the core mechanics and have a good feel for most of the areas and encounters you'll get into the world is pretty much your oyster

In other news, let's go exploring!

43 - My Good Buddy Patches

I probably should've died in the first minute of this episode, but hey, everything worked out perfectly

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm playing this game for the first time and I just ganked patches straight up without even talking to him. gently caress that guy.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I applaud your taste in music for exploring this underworld filled with skeletons. This particular track would've been perfect for the escape from the Asylum, too. :parrot:

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
So, the way you went down is actually supposed to be the way back up, in case you come down here before you get the lordvessel. The intended way down involves sliding on a bunch of those coffins.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Oh look, an update

44 - I Hate Dog Skeletons

They have a neat design and they really aren't even dogs but hoooo buddy they are a pain in my bootyhole to fight. This whole area just feels kinda.... subpar, honestly. They had an idea they were going for but it kind of never really feels like it comes together, especially when every run from the bonfire becomes an annoying slog where you're dodging as many fights as possible

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Since you brought up Geop's LP; while I've never played much of DS1, I've watched that LP a couple of times and I don't remember this area at all. Like, completely blanking on this part of the game. I don't even remember those doggo skeleton guys.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The dog skeletons are great with a high-poise damage weapon - like a really big mace.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It seems Gwyn was quite concerned with the Occult. He put his Black Knights watching all three approaches to Havel's prison tower, and two watching the approach to Nito.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How's Nito involved with the occult?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Vicas posted:

They have a neat design and they really aren't even dogs but hoooo buddy they are a pain in my bootyhole to fight. This whole area just feels kinda.... subpar, honestly. They had an idea they were going for but it kind of never really feels like it comes together, especially when every run from the bonfire becomes an annoying slog where you're dodging as many fights as possible

They just want to play and be your skeletal dog pals

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

double nine posted:

How's Nito involved with the occult?

He isn't, but the occult were going after him. Keep Havel from getting out, keep the occult Nito-hunters from getting to their target.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the Pinwheels here can also very rarely drop white titanite slabs. If you want to farm more than the one the game gives you.

Nito and his whole doman is a big mystery to me. What even is Nito? He's the "first of the dead" but being dead hasn't exactly stopped him. But he and his skeletons are also not undead as they're clearly qualitatively different from you and Undead NPCs. His domain is shrouded in darkness, which through is usually associated with humanity. The rite of Kindling is found down there, which is strictly involved in Bonfires. And there's virtually no lore in the game about what's actually been going on down there, other than that Pinwheel went rogue at one point and all the giant coffins and tombs look to be in disarray.
It feels like he has a lot more to do with the Undead and the general setting than any of the other lords, possibly even Gwyn. But that nothing is said outright.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Tenebrais posted:

I think the Pinwheels here can also very rarely drop white titanite slabs. If you want to farm more than the one the game gives you.

Nito and his whole doman is a big mystery to me. What even is Nito? He's the "first of the dead" but being dead hasn't exactly stopped him. But he and his skeletons are also not undead as they're clearly qualitatively different from you and Undead NPCs. His domain is shrouded in darkness, which through is usually associated with humanity. The rite of Kindling is found down there, which is strictly involved in Bonfires. And there's virtually no lore in the game about what's actually been going on down there, other than that Pinwheel went rogue at one point and all the giant coffins and tombs look to be in disarray.
It feels like he has a lot more to do with the Undead and the general setting than any of the other lords, possibly even Gwyn. But that nothing is said outright.

It's physically dark, but it's not Dark...unless maybe you listen very literally to one rather confused and confusing NPC in Dark Souls 2 who is basically a perfect example of everything wrong with that game's vaguebooking approach to anything and everything related to DS1.

Two things worth keeping in mind about Nito: his soul came out of the fire just like Gwyn's and the Witch of Izalith's, and life and death are both products of the disparity introduced with the First Flame. If anything, the undead curse should be an even bigger affront to him than it was to Gwyn, because it's denying him his due.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wonderslug posted:

one rather confused and confusing NPC in Dark Souls 2 who is basically a perfect example of everything wrong with that game's vaguebooking approach to anything and everything related to DS1.

Dude needed to get back to Kingdom Hearts.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I actually think there's more than one Dark aligned soul, Nito and the Pygmy both have dark aligned souls, Gywn and the Witch both have light aligned souls, so to speak. Two matching sets if you will, life and death, light and dark. All things created from a fire, after all before the fire everything was monotone, afterwards there was light areas and dark areas. Admittedly this is based on stuff from the third game, but also the fact that the different Lord Souls actually have rather unique power sets makes me think that they're all different things.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Lord_Magmar posted:

I actually think there's more than one Dark aligned soul, Nito and the Pygmy both have dark aligned souls, Gywn and the Witch both have light aligned souls, so to speak. Two matching sets if you will, life and death, light and dark. All things created from a fire, after all before the fire everything was monotone, afterwards there was light areas and dark areas. Admittedly this is based on stuff from the third game, but also the fact that the different Lord Souls actually have rather unique power sets makes me think that they're all different things.
I think it's pretty reasonable to align Gwyn/Nito as Life/Death and Witch/Pygmy as Light/Dark. They're not perfect clefts, but they make a certain amount of sense as a kind of two-axis D&D-style measurement of deviation from the grey center where dragons reign.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Gwyn is light, the Witch is life. Notably the Witch births endless demons and Gwyn is the Lord of Sunlight. But other than that yeah.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
And with this we make it to the end of the Tomb of the Giants

45 - Snoozelord Nito

The biggest problem with Nito as a boss is that he's slow and lumbering and basically relies on infinite skeletons to make the fight even slightly challenging. But the skeletons make the fight completely intolerable, so the only two states the fight has are "stupidly hard" and "welp guess he's doing the exploding attack again, better back up"

I wasn't kitted out the best I could be for this fight, and honestly the first Lord Soul is always the hardest, whatever you pick, but even if this fight had taken half as long it still wouldn't have been, like, interesting

Next time, though, we're gonna go to a fun place, so look forward to it

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Man, I really lucked out on a strength/faith character my first run through (hi Holy Claymore+6!).

Although that's one of the strengths of late-game dark souls, no matter your build some areas are going to be cake, and some are going to be...intense.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

It was never really clear to me what Nito's deal was. I mean, he clearly doesn't want you to kill him and steal his magic soul, and he has a covenant people can join by... uh, standing near him and deciding to, but other than that he's what? a necromancer? He "administers death", which is ambiguous, and he gave some of his Lord Soul "to death", whatever than means.

As we'll see, all of the other bosses have some sort of history or motivation you can just about work out. Nito's just this big skeleton dude, waiting in a coffin to look edgier.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I get the impression that Nito doesn't really bother much with the living, except occasionally to bring them into his fold. He's the lord of the dead, and the Undead don't qualify, as much as they may have superficial similarities from a living person's perspective. He spends most of his time and has allocated most of his power to administering his domain, out of reach and notice of the living. His Covenant is about killing other undead, but it's in a very passive way. You set up your sign, and other people's games get harder without your direct intervention. You don't actually fight anybody unless they take the time to seek you out and specifically attack you. So it is with Nito: he doesn't care about you, except insofar as you can help him with his administration. He's just chilling out being a death god. Probably some of the environmental features of the Tomb of Giants are due to his malign presence, but he's not singling out any particular person, not even you until you drop down into his chamber.

Also, I had a very easy time with my first Nito fight because I had been using the Silver Knight Spear ever since Anor Londo. It's innately holy, so I didn't even know that the skeletons were the kind that got back up.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Here's the thing: we never figure out the origins or cause of the Undead Curse in any of the three games and I have a theory that Nito caused it or spread it in order to drive undead to Lordran so they can kindle again. This doesn't seem to be supported by much of anything except that the curse has to have some origin and it would make Nito into an actor instead of just the next boss ont the list.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This just popped up in my suggested videos, and it's not really a spoiler since we've done the TotG:

Tomb of the Giants with light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Magnetic North posted:

This just popped up in my suggested videos, and it's not really a spoiler since we've done the TotG:

Tomb of the Giants with light
I'm loving the wall textures that were added using the Fill with Pattern tool.

• Locked thread