Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Strange Matter posted:

I'm loving the wall textures that were added using the Fill with Pattern tool.

Yeah, this is an area that was clearly never intended to be seen super clearly, although the sort of "blown out light from everywhere" doesn't do it any favors either. I bet it would look at least a little better with more directional lighting like you see elsewhere in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it looks like a brighter huntsman's copse. :colbert:

Seriously though, the only piece of pissant archers were sitting on top of the white ember tomb and next to the drat ladder? and by the look of things you can jump from the top of the ladder to the archer?! Goddamned if I'd known that I'd have gone for some revenge

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
It's a lot smaller than it looks all dark, but with the darkness you just kind of sit back and take your time.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
That reminds me, Leeroy's hangout is one of the very few places DS1 cheats with geography. That expanse of archtrees would, I believe, be a view up into the chasm in the Valley of the Drakes if you were looking at level geometry rather than a skybox.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
So was the darkness mechanic in DS2 supposed to be like it was in this level? I just don't get how From thought giving up your shield in place of a torch/lantern was a good idea.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
The lack of shield in exchange for more light is just them trying to mix things up with their challenge, it sucks in Tomb of the Giants, hit and miss in Dark Souls 2 and 3, and a barely noticed challenge in Bloodborne.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I keep meaning to post this and getting sidetracked

46 - Painted World

The Painted World is one of the high points of the entire game for me, everything about it just feels so right, or at least wrong in just the right way

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part of me wishes the Painted World had had some sort of weird filter over it that made everything look like brushstrokes, but that might have been a bit much extra programming work to ask for an optional area.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

Part of me wishes the Painted World had had some sort of weird filter over it that made everything look like brushstrokes, but that might have been a bit much extra programming work to ask for an optional area.

It is still a really nice area. As much fun as the interconnected areas are, Painted World is REALLY nice.
Also. Harpies. The crow women are harpies.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
Painted world is easily my favorite area of the game. It's so flavorful and tightly designed. Also, you don't strictly need a fire weapon here for those upcoming enemies, anything with enough reach that you can stay out of their spray will work well too. The rapier or spear work quite well for this, and any of the halberd-type weapons should also do nicely.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

Also. Harpies. The crow women are harpies.

That's not a very nice thing to call someone :mad:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
QUEEN OF THE HARPIES! QUEEN OF THE HARPIES!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

TimNeilson posted:

Painted world is easily my favorite area of the game. It's so flavorful and tightly designed. Also, you don't strictly need a fire weapon here for those upcoming enemies, anything with enough reach that you can stay out of their spray will work well too. The rapier or spear work quite well for this, and any of the halberd-type weapons should also do nicely.
Or, y'know, any ranged spell or weapon.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The Painted World also has a really hilarious glitch, which I hope Vicas shows off.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I feel bad that there was no discussion or mention that Fromsoft for real referenced an old World of Warcraft meme with Paladin Leeroy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Trynant posted:

I feel bad that there was no discussion or mention that Fromsoft for real referenced an old World of Warcraft meme with Paladin Leeroy.

I think because it's obvious if you know it and won't be funny even with explanation if you don't.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Trynant posted:

If only tyhere were dragons around for him to rush into...

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Hey look, an episode

47 - Phalanx For The Memories

God these crows are creepy fuckers

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So did you record this before or after the announcement of the Dark Souls 3 DLC?

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Flannix for the memories
Even though they weren't so bad
Pronounced like you only weirder

I never connected that all the items you find in here are "blasphemous" as well. That's really neat.

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011
I love the toxic hollows (without fire attacks) as a combat challenge, because you can also avoid the spray if you space it just right with a greatsword or even the thrust of a longsword, IIRC.
Doing cool things with precise spacing is one of the most rewarding feelings for me in games like this; it's why Sif was like my favorite boss.

Of course, you can also chump them right out by being properly equipped, which is also a very satisfying feeling.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Going down in the pit without opening the main fortress door is pretty ballsy.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Gimbal lock posted:

I was close to yelling at my screen when he kept running around the courtyard and not doing that.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I was cackling like a god damned mad man at the third "Dark Souls 1"

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Gimbal lock posted:

I got a bit mixed up about which switch was where :v:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vicas posted:

I got a bit mixed up about which switch was where :v:

Also about which door opens with a switch and which one you just push open.

HotAndColdAF
May 30, 2011

Making Daddy proud.
I know it was on the far side of a fog door and all but really, Vicas, really. :mmmhmm:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Updates are slow because work sucks and I've been up to a lot of stuff lately, but I do still have this one ready to go:

48 - No Bonewheels About It

In which I am incredibly good and do not at all get punished for going down here before opening the door back to the bonfire

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Vicas posted:

In which I am incredibly good and do not at all get punished for going down here before opening the door back to the bonfire
I still can't believe that wasn't sarcasm and you got away with it.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I'm gonna disagree with your commentary a bit on the Painted World. I personally saw Velka's connection to the painted world as more the person keeping them there. To preach to the prisoners about redemption for their sinful life that brought them punishment. The rogue pryomancers were the prisoners, and the crows/priests were the guards.

But that's what's so cool about Dark Souls, is that you can tell there's these connections but you just really don't know for certain. And it lets your imagination run wild about the possibilities.

EDIT: oh crap, didn't realize Velka's Rapier was Occult as well. That hints that my theory was probably not intended.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 19, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Question: are the swollen toxic hollows victims of Blightpus?

Would certainly explain why people are willing to incubate spider eggs in their bodies if this is the alternative.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Krysmphoenix posted:

EDIT: oh crap, didn't realize Velka's Rapier was Occult as well. That hints that my theory was probably not intended.

Or it's just a "who watches the watchmen" thing, with the unease that tends to evoke. After all, we're never told Velka reserves punishment exclusively for humans.

I've never understood why people spend so much time constructing elaborate theories about her rapier and what it means when all of them completely fail to address the fact that she's in charge of the gods' actual, literal hit list and works hand in hand with the most pro-Gwyn covenant in the game. I see her as occupying something of a "best frenemy" position in the pantheon--too useful to ignore, too much of a free agent to fully relax around.

There are other reasons her stuff might be in here, but that can wait until we've met the boss.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
One of the neater applications of verticality in this area is that you can skip about half the level very early on by making a jump from one of the towers to land very near the door back to the beginning.

The slumbering dragoncrest ring and hidden body spell are very useful in the basement.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Wonderslug posted:

I've never understood why people spend so much time constructing elaborate theories about her rapier and what it means when all of them completely fail to address the fact that she's in charge of the gods' actual, literal hit list and works hand in hand with the most pro-Gwyn covenant in the game. I see her as occupying something of a "best frenemy" position in the pantheon--too useful to ignore, too much of a free agent to fully relax around.
Her Pardoners remove people from the hit list though. The bluecops exist for vengeance, the Pardoners for forgiveness (for a price). Oswald pops up once you have rung the church bell, in an area unlikely to be visited by anyone but you. Are you sure they're working with each other and not against?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Vicas should also read the fluff on that miracle he picked up, while we're talking about Velka.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

What's the moveset on Velka's rapier? Stab/stab/more stab, or does it have a wacky parry like the dark souls 2 rapier?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Crazy Achmed posted:

What's the moveset on Velka's rapier? Stab/stab/more stab, or does it have a wacky parry like the dark souls 2 rapier?

Stab, Stab, and a narrow vertical 'V' slash on the strong attack.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Crazy Achmed posted:

The weak/running/rolling attacks are pokes and stabs, but the strong attacks are a V-slash and an inverted V-slash when two-handed and one-handed respectively. The following strong attacks are stabs.
Aside from giving the Pardoners a dorky Zorro gimmick, it does make for a decent area attack and adds variety to the pokey moveset.

e;f;b

Miacis fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 20, 2016

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

pun pundit posted:

Her Pardoners remove people from the hit list though. The bluecops exist for vengeance, the Pardoners for forgiveness (for a price). Oswald pops up once you have rung the church bell, in an area unlikely to be visited by anyone but you. Are you sure they're working with each other and not against?

I'm pretty confident. Oswald's absolution is strictly limited to pissed off NPCs. Only way to clear indictments (available at reasonable prices from your nearest pardoner) is to die to a Darkmoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Vicas posted:

Updates are slow because work sucks and I've been up to a lot of stuff lately, but I do still have this one ready to go:

48 - No Bonewheels About It

This place is wheely great

• Locked thread