Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

Blackchamber posted:

I had Comcast do an install on my new apartment, they claimed nobody had their service in 6 years so they needed to send someone there to check out the set up.

At the end of the service call the tech copied down the information from the bottom of my modem, which I thought was odd since it was my modem and not one they provided.

Is this fishy? Docsis cloning or something?

Not even a little bit. The modem has to be registered in Comcast's systems in order for it to work. The CMAC is the number that is used to identify it, and gets added to the billing system to facilitate troubleshooting and maintenance. It's not like the MAC address is hidden information or anything. It's even usually printed on the outside of the retail packaging I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread