Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
When they take 2 or 3 years to film 3 90-minute episodes I feel like they should just let them all be a lot more standalone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
elementary is so much better, like it's almost shocking

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

corn in the bible posted:

elementary is so much better, like it's almost shocking

You know, this is the only site where I find this opinion and I completely agree with it. I have no idea why people love Sherlock so much. I tried it once and found myself drifting because it was so dry.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Humperdink Cabbagepatch is also hideous and I can't believe he's on TV.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
About 1/3 of Sherlock is great and the rest is almost unwatchably bad.

I haven't given Elementary a shot at all yet. Is it good, or just "better than Sherlock"?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's really good. Miller and Liu are both great and get some really natural, nuanced character development as the show goes on. Also for a procedural on CBS it has one of the most realistic and brutally honest portrayals of recovery from addiction on TV. Not for everyone and I know some people just didn't get hooked enough to keep with it, but it's a well done show that's worth checking out.

It's the kind of show that you can kind of forget about and then catch up on over a weekend when you've got nothing else to watch. Also John Noble is in the newest season and basically plays Walternate, so it's got that going for it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Elementary is good but it's still 80% procedural CBS cop show

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Watched the first episode of Peaky Blinders the other night and was really impressed, especially by the cinematography. Does the quality hold up or should I just walk away now before disappointment sets in?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Cool, I might give it a shot sometime. I didn't know who was in it, and when you said Miller I was gonna say, "If Wentworth Miller is the lead, gently caress it I'm out," but I see that it is not him.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Snak posted:

About 1/3 of Sherlock is great and the rest is almost unwatchably bad.

I haven't given Elementary a shot at all yet. Is it good, or just "better than Sherlock"?

There's still the unfortunate issue of it being a procedural, but they do the best they can with it. The rest of it really works well though. On paper it sounded kind of like a disaster, but it doesn't shy away or romanticise any aspects of Sherlock's character (Which I feel Sherlock does a lot) and treats his intelligence as a burden that stops him relating to people. Most importantly, it treats Holmes and Watson as equals without ever hinting that it's going to stray into a romance.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mu Zeta posted:

Elementary is good but it's still 80% procedural CBS cop show

Well yeah that's kind of a given. I mean, that's kind of Sherlock's thing and the reason why there are a billion TV shows that are just "Sherlock Holmes except it's totally not because he has this one gimmick".

Timby posted:

Watched the first episode of Peaky Blinders the other night and was really impressed, especially by the cinematography. Does the quality hold up or should I just walk away now before disappointment sets in?

What? :psyduck:

It's just TV man, watch things that you enjoy watching and then if you stop enjoying them stop watching them. It doesn't have to be complicated.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Well yeah, but then a Glee or BSG or Lost might happen and all their fond memories would be poisoned.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Timby posted:

The second season is way better than the first, so if you already like the first it can only go up from here.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't mind a procedural as long as I'm in the mood for it. I watched Castle for years. It took quite a bit for to finally say wow this show is poo poo and stop watching it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've seen almost every episode of Elementary and I still have no idea what Lucy Liu's original job in the series was. Apparently you can get paid to live with someone. What if Sherlock was poor and didn't live in a sweet rear end brownstone?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mu Zeta posted:

I've seen almost every episode of Elementary and I still have no idea what Lucy Liu's original job in the series was. Apparently you can get paid to live with someone. What if Sherlock was poor and didn't live in a sweet rear end brownstone?

She was hired as a sober companion by his father. It's a real thing that you can pay someone to basically be a babysitter and make sure you go to meetings and stay sober.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Every episode gets progressively better, actually.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

she was a care worker who was hired on to help him keep off the drugs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the fact that lucy liu watson gets to actually do things and figure stuff out (and gets annoyed when sherlock acts like she can't) makes her better than most on-screen watsons, not just the bbc one

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I never got into Elementary because Sherlock for all its faults had a rad pilot and puts out three episodes every year or two instead of having 20 hours to slog through every year with a mediocre pilot and the promise that at one point it gets better.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

the fact that lucy liu watson gets to actually do things and figure stuff out (and gets annoyed when sherlock acts like she can't) makes her better than most on-screen watsons, not just the bbc one

Even better people were furious that Watson was a woman, then everyone was shipping them, but by the midpoint of season 1 it was concrete that Watson and Sherlock were best friends and literally never going beyond that. she ends up banging Mycroft, a suave hipster-ish restaurant owner in this version, and Sherlock is pissed only because he hates his brother and thinks she wasted her time

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Suave and hipsterish are nothing close to describing him. More like greasy pedo mustache man.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mu Zeta posted:

Suave and hipsterish are nothing close to describing him. More like greasy pedo mustache man.

Agreed, the guy was loving gross looking.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Elementary is hopefully going to end in Season 5 after they've hit the 100 episode mark, since I can't really see them making this last beyond it. Sherlock and Watson have basically completed their character arcs, and the only two big things left in the show are Sherlock's father, which they're dealing with right now, and Moriarty, which is obviously what you end a Sherlock Holmes show with.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Elementary is hopefully going to end in Season 5 after they've hit the 100 episode mark, since I can't really see them making this last beyond it. Sherlock and Watson have basically completed their character arcs, and the only two big things left in the show are Sherlock's father, which they're dealing with right now, and Moriarty, which is obviously what you end a Sherlock Holmes show with.

They already introduced her.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

But not anywhere close to finished with her. Just like Sherlock's father has been introduced.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

bobkatt013 posted:

I meant actually finishing that plot thread up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DrVenkman posted:

Most importantly, it treats Holmes and Watson as equals without ever hinting that it's going to stray into a romance.

Is there any other man/woman TV pairing that manages to pull this off, or even tries?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Happy 2016 TVIV, can you please direct me to the cable cord cutting info thread that I'm sure is on this site somewhere, I just can't find it?

Or can you tell me if Sling TV is worth it and/or is it different from Slingbox because that confuses me a bit.

:negative: my directv bill is killing me

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The only problem with Elementary is a lack of Clyde.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
There should be a drinking game to accompany The 100.

Take a shot every time Clarke's directly or indirectly responsible for someone's death. One shot per corpse.

Drink every time:
* you forget a major character's name.
* the laws of physics are contradicted.
* you misattribute an enemy to the wrong faction.
* you spot an article of armor/clothing that was modified from something on sale at Hot Topic.
* an adult behaves in a condescending, patronizing manner.
* a terrible teen alt/pop song comes on to ruin the mood
* someone recovers from a potentially mortal wound in under an hour

Give out a shot if you call a red shirt character death within 30 seconds of it happening. Take a shot if you're wrong.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
That list would leave you not even slightly buzzed and then stone cold loving dead in one go.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Is there any other man/woman TV pairing that manages to pull this off, or even tries?
Liz Lemon and Jack Donaghy
Leslie Knope and Ron Swanson

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dick Van Dyke & Mary Tyler Moore.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We're about seven episodes into Prison Break Season 2 and still enjoying the silliness and insanity of it all. I like that they're not afraid to kill off major characters.

When it was on, were there lively discussion threads here? Did people generally like it? I get the impression T-Bag would have become an unlikely fan favorite and "breakout character" (no pun intended). And in Season 2, when Veronica Donovan and "Tweener" were killed off, was that because they were annoying or unpopular with viewers, or in the case of the former, the story arc was slowing down the momentum of the show? I didn't enjoy either very much, so I wondered if the showrunners interacted with their fan base at the time. I do miss Abruzzi, though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah the threads were pretty popular. The episode where that last character you mentioned died, was on 9/11 which I never have forgotten.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

wow victorian sherlock sucks a lot

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

less laughter posted:

I'm not surprised at all, the trailers made it look absolutely horrendous. Another Showtime misfire. show

So what you are saying is that each season will get progressively worse and worse, but it will still run for 6+ seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It takes a rare gift to write a story that's predictable as hell while also being loving stupid thanks Sherlock writer man

• Locked thread