Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

HorseRenoir posted:

The entire mystique of Firefly is based on a mythical perfect second season that will never exist and couldn't possibly live up to expectations. If Firefly had a second season it would have been forgotten like Jericho was.

what really grinds my gear is that there's a great show about a motley group of space renegades escaping a totalitarian authority that did get a second season (as well as a third and fourth), and is far better than Firefly in, well, almost everything, but gets far less attention. I refer, of course, to Farscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Farscape was pretty poo poo outside of the season finales and premieres.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw up to the episode where a puppet was pissing explosive urine and never watched it again.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Another round of Firefly cancellation chat, another instance of me pointing out that the following shows deserved a second season far, far more than Firefly did:

*The Middleman
*Clone High
*Terriers

That is all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sleeveless posted:

Cowboy Bebop was the superior space western.

I'm going with Outlaw Star on this one.

Cowboy Bebop was more "space noir" imo

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

lelandjs posted:

Another round of Firefly cancellation chat, another instance of me pointing out that the following shows deserved a second season far, far more than Firefly did:

*Clone High

Now there's a kickstarter I would actually donate to, if only because the creators have only gotten better and more successful since then so you know they could pull it off.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I never understood which part of cowboy bebop was supposed to be a western. I think people just say it is because the word "cowboy" is in the title.

Trigun is at least actually a space western.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I loved Trigun when I was a teenager.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was into Robotech for a long time, even through high school. One day I walked into an EB Games to buy a Robotech game for the PS1 and the clerk said "More like RoboSUCK" and I walked out in shame.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cowboy Bebop's basic premise is about bounty hunting, and bounty hunting is tied pretty closely to westerns in popular culture, since most of the better / more popular westerns were centered around bounty hunting.
Even so, it's still a better space western because Outlaw Star and Trigun were not that good.

Mu Zeta posted:

I was into Robotech for a long time, even through high school. One day I walked into an EB Games to buy a Robotech game for the PS1 and the clerk said "More like RoboSUCK" and I walked out in shame.

No shame you felt on that day could possibly equal the shame of being a proto-Gamestop employee.
You should have punched that son of a bitch square in his mouth.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 3, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

I loved Trigun when I was a teenager.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure I can watch it again.

But I'm watching One Lunch Man literally right now, which, now that I think about it is really similar in tone. Not are about a guy who is literally the best most invincible guy, but he's a huge goofball. Every fight is like wow how is going to win this one with ease.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sleeveless posted:

Now there's a kickstarter I would actually donate to, if only because the creators have only gotten better and more successful since then so you know they could pull it off.

There's been talk from Lord and Miller about them wanting to do something. Those guys are so ridiculously busy though :(

Snak posted:

One Lunch Man

Would watch.

I've seen the first episode of One Punch Man and it was pretty fun. I have to remind myself that it's not all animes that are bad, just animus.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

lelandjs posted:

*The Middleman
*Clone High
*Terriers

That is all.

*Wonderfalls
*That Spike TV Blade series

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Terriers was really good. It reminded me of Veronica Mars except it's not in highschool and instead of a hot blonde girl the star is an alcoholic 40 year old.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

raditts posted:

Cowboy Bebop's basic premise is about bounty hunting, and bounty hunting is tied pretty closely to westerns in popular culture, since most of the better / more popular westerns were centered around bounty hunting.

Also a lot of it is set on desert planets with obvious western designs, there are native americans, and there's even a fight on a train at one point.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Terriers was really good. It reminded me of Veronica Mars except it's not in highschool and instead of a hot blonde girl the star is an alcoholic 40 year old.

I guess I need to watch Terriers. Veronica Mars was almost good. Like if Dawson's Creek and Buffy had a child that was slightly stupid.

Edit: ^ I guess I never saw any of those episodes. The last episode I watched was the one with the dramatic villain and there was like a big stained glass window.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sleeveless posted:

Also a lot of it is set on desert planets with obvious western designs, there are native americans, and there's even a fight on a train at one point.

Yeah, not to mention an entire episode where there's a character that literally dresses like a cowboy and rides a horse, complete with his own theme song. I was just trying to answer his question on a thematic level though, since there are a good few episodes that don't crib from popular western elements.

Snak posted:

I guess I never saw any of those episodes. The last episode I watched was the one with the dramatic villain and there was like a big stained glass window.

That was like the sixth episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There was another Trigun movie not long ago and it held up pretty well for me.

Related, the only costume I have ever worn as an adult was this one time I dressed as Nicholas Wolfwood when my ex and I went to an anime convention. That loving cross was heavy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

There was another Trigun movie not long ago and it held up pretty well for me.

Related, the only costume I have ever worn as an adult was this one time I dressed as Nicholas Wolfwood when my ex and I went to an anime convention. That loving cross was heavy.

I feel like the ultimate cossplay cross would have the sliding compartments for guns, but would be full of snacks and bottled water.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

In my head-canon, Veronica Mars and Terriers take place in the same continuity, set in similarly seedy Southern California beach towns not far from each other. Keith Mars and Hank Dolworth probably worked more than one case together, and Hank knows he can call in Veronica as a consultant if he has to.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

lelandjs posted:

*The Middleman
*Clone High
*Terriers

That is all.

*Invasion
*Almost Human

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

*Invasion
*Almost Human

*Journeyman

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
* Awake

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
*Coach

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Gonna go for the combo breaker but:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Farscape was pretty poo poo outside of the season finales and premieres.
Maybe if you didn't watch the 3rd season onwards that'd be true.

Well I guess a good chunk of Farscape isn't really that great but the good stuff in the second half of the series is as good as the stuff we get today.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

*Taxi Brooklyn

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

* Invasion

Edit: beaten to it, but yeah

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

4 - No animes

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

lelandjs posted:

*The Middleman
*Clone High
*Terriers

That is all.

*The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sober posted:

Gonna go for the combo breaker but:

Maybe if you didn't watch the 3rd season onwards that'd be true.

Well I guess a good chunk of Farscape isn't really that great but the good stuff in the second half of the series is as good as the stuff we get today.

The third season is banging on all cylinders but the fourth has a lot of either mediocre or outright bad episodes interspersed with some good/great ones. Coup by Clam was downright terrible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly far less interested in unfair cancellation talk than how exactly that guy googled Serenity in relation to Firefly and didn't find anything about the movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was a plenty big Firefly dork when it was cancelled, but for fucks sake that was a decade ago. I've moved on. Serenity was flawed but it tied poo poo up enough that I moved on to my next nerdy thing.

Hector Delgado posted:

*The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

If Briscoe County had been a success there's no telling how that would have affected Bruce Campbell's career. Imagine if he had become a full fledged tv star in the mid 90s? What kind of butterfly effect could that have had to the next 20 years of weird roles and screwball comedy? Would there even be an Evil Dead series in 2015? I don't think this ones worth the risk.

You gotta consider the butterfly effect, man. What if a second season of Invasion destroyed Mad Men because Elisabeth Moss had some bit role in it? You can't mess with the natural order.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 3, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Imagine if HBO didn't pass on Mad Men. The product placements could be completely different. At least I assume that Utz chips, Kodak, Heineken, and others were paid for.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You just know Christina Hendricks would have had a negotiation conflict over nudity in her Season 2 contract renewal.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Firefly was great in large part because it was so short and didn't have time to squander any goodwill. Also because it introduced me to a bunch of actors that I now appreciate more in other projects. I knew Captain Tightpants from his stint on 2 Guys, A Girl & a Pizza Place, and Book from whatever else, but everybody else was new to me, or at best, somebody I'd seen in single episodes of things and forgotten about.

Mu Zeta posted:

I loved Robotech as a kid and when I finally had a job and could excuse spending money on stupid things, I bought myself the complete series, but as much as I liked it I have to admit that the game was pretty bad.

Also I remember being a little kid and seeing a veritech in some toy store and saying something to my mom like "Look, it's a Japanese transformer!" The ubernerd store clerk then delivered a lecture about how Robotech preceded Transformers and blah blah blah cheap copy blah blah I should get my facts straight.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What can anyone tell me about Murder One? It's about 20 years old but the descriptions of it I've found talking about how it was ultra-serialised and ended up needing these really long "previously on" segments so people could follow it makes it sound like it might have been a bit ahead of its time in that regard.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I liked when the man monologued about the virtues of women's suffrage to an all-women murder cult dressed in Klan robes.

If I remember correctly, the original books Sherlock is canonically a p big misogynist.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

feedmegin posted:

If I remember correctly, the original books Sherlock is canonically a p big misogynist.

One was written in Victorian England and the other in 2015, and takes place in the current day.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

bobkatt013 posted:

One was written in Victorian England and the other in 2015, and takes place in the current day.

Said episode actually takes place in Victorian England

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

less laughter posted:

Said episode actually takes place in Victorian England

It actually doesn't

• Locked thread