Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

just be aware that, while good, it's inferior to season one

It's been voted #1 on the combined critics top ten lists both seasons, and this year is is absolutely slaughtering the competition.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/critics-pick-the-top-10-best-tv-shows-of-2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

hcreight posted:

TNT also passed on the live action Teen Titans show.

It wasn't a Reilly show, so it was unlikely ever since the leadership change.

Speaking of Reilly, I'll be very interested to see what he does. Judging by todays TCA presentation it looks like he is trying to make TNT/TBS into FX type channels.

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/64...&utm_medium=tvi

Here is a trailer for two of the new shows, Animal Kingdom and Good Behavior

http://deadline.com/2016/01/good-behavior-animal-kingdom-trailer-michelle-dockery-ellen-barkin-scott-speedman-1201677907/

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Pan Dulce posted:

The new X-Files is about to come out, so I took a peek at the very first episode of the original series. drat. It's still good. I'm hoping the new one is just as good.

Really? I always found the first episode to be among the weakest of the whole series. Didn't really like episode 2 either, but then you get Squeeze, and drat that's so good.

I wonder if today, peak TV and all, I would have stayed with it after 2 weak episodes.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

zoux posted:

Apparently last night's BBT was less than 19 minutes long. Why are people leaving ad-supported TV again?

Kevin Reilly claimed they are significantly lightening the ad-load on TNT/TBS. Said shows would be around 8 minutes longer.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

hope and vaseline posted:

Also the final scene of the series was basically a 3 way murder-suicide bloodbath with very sexual implications

Favourite Hannibal "got away with" story will always be the butt cleavage on the corpse. "Just pour more blood on it".

Agents of Shield spinoff gets pilot order:

http://deadline.com/2016/01/marvels-most-wanted-pilot-abc-1201679255/

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
In potentially awesome news, Nahnatchka Khan is trying to do a Don't Trust The B Christmas special:

http://www.themarysue.com/krysten-ritter-apt-23-xmas-party/

Norwegian Rudo fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 19, 2016

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

zoux posted:

It was pretty aimless over three seasons so I think probably they just had a loose idea of what it was. I know some decision was made to focus the show and nail down an ending, I can't remember if it was the studio that forced it or not. It seems to me that if you from day one had a strong narrative arc hitting predetermined beats towards a specific conclusion, that kind of decision would have never come up.

I believe the writer's strike was after their much criticized third season. Don't know if they were told to, but the strike gave the top producers the time to set down a real plan and agree on an end point.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Grimm taught me an important life lesson: It doesn't matter if you repeatedly attempt to murder someone, their fiancee, and their friends, commit multiple rapes and end up causing the death of the fiancee - as long as you have the baby from one two of the people you have raped, all is forgiven, because becoming a mother renders you immune from all blame and negative consequences.

On top of that, your rape victim will fall in love with you because when sperm from a man ends up inside a woman and she becomes pregnant, that produces a reciprocal reaction which causes the man to fall in love with her. That's just a biological fact about how pregnancy works. Everyone knows that, right? :biotruths:

The Juliette defense force (that only seems to exist here on SA) kind of lose all moral superiority when they ignore everything Juliette did in order to pile on Adalind.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Do you mean, for instance, her job as a veterinarian, examining the cat Adalind brought (specifically for the purpose of poisoning Juliette)?

Or do you mean things that Juliette did as a Hexenbiest? I'm not ignoring that. It was a ham-handed piece of character assassination of Juliette done apparently for the specific purpose of trying to make the viewers hate her. (It worked, but the writers dagger was clearly visible.) The obnoxious part is that it was transparently obvious even at the time that it was intended to clear the way for the producers/writers to pair Nick up with their pet favorite character.

The writers have apparently forgotten that Adalind has spent literally four entire seasons trying to gently caress up Nick's life. Just sixteen episodes ago, Adalind broke into Nick's house for the explicit purpose of kidnapping or killing Juliette. The writers have spent the last part of the fourth and all of the fifth season acting as if Adalind was Nick's mistress and not his rapist.

Juliette becoming a Hexenbiest was a (stupid) consequence of an attempt to reverse the curse Adalind put on Nick when she RAPED him. So that's tied directly back to Adalind's actions, so it is Adalind's fault, just like most of the terrible things which have happened since the end of Season 1.

So to summarize; Juliette is excused everything because she was a Hexenbiest, but Adalind should burn in Hell for all the evil things she did... while she was a Hexenbiest.

Basically all I care about is that I find Adalind more entertaining with the good guys than I ever did Juliette.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Sober posted:

Man I feel like I need to rewatch Bunheads cause I do not remember Liza Weil in it at all. Even though IMDB and everything says so too.

She plays Truly's sister.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

zoux posted:

Here are the six pilots the CW ordered this year, but only one can become the chat threads favorite show of 2018.

Anybody know which shows are WB produced and which are CBS? The CBS ones have a much higher chance of getting picked up since their current lineup is so heavily WB skewed. On the other hand the CBS pilots have been poo poo. Last year they dumped all the CBS pilots and picked up a failed Showtime pilot instead...

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

less laughter posted:

WB: Riverdale, Frequency, Untitled Paranormal Project
CBS: Transylvania, No Tomorrow, Untitled Mars Project

Thanks. I'll take a guess and say Riverdale (obviously), Mars project + one more CBS show gets picked up. Maybe 60/40 Transylvania over No Tomorrow.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, he only has a couple of episodes of Millenium (with another Jose Chung related episode) basically. The guy is almost as prolific as Salinger.

Basically he works as a producer on his brother's shows. As you know producer can mean basically anything from an occasional phone call to showrunner so nobody really knows how much work he does.

According to IMDB he has written a grand total of 13 episodes of TV in his career, of which at least 5 have been really great (and really weird). I have no idea about the episodes he wrote for Tower Prep, Intruders or Those Who Kill, but I'm definitely going to watch them sometime.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

timp posted:

It is, seems to be a "spin-off" in the loosest sense possible. My guess is that each season of American Crime Story, if it's picked up for multiple seasons, will focus on a different high profile crime - Lacey Peterson, Jon Benet Ramsey, poo poo like that - much in the same way that each season of American Horror Story has a different focus.

They've said season 2 would be about Hurricane Katrina.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fxs-american-crime-story-season-851993

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

Don't say that just yet: TW doesn't have to pull CW's poo poo from Netflix until this summer, and since I didn't hear about a catastrophic stock drop on the day they announced it, I'm assuming they still think it'll work somehow.

I believe their current deal ensures Netflix still gets all future seasons of current shows. It's any new shows that wouldn't go up.

Norwegian Rudo fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 3, 2016

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

Manhattan season two is significantly, significantly better than season one

Also the only known case of one of the Streep daughters looking hot. I think it was the period hair, and maybe her murdering ways, that did it for me.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
drat interesting cast Hawley is putting together for Legion. FX and Hawley doing a comic book show sounds spectacular, but I don't know how involved he would be with Fargo season 3 to write and prep.

http://tvline.com/2016/02/04/legion-dan-stevens-cast-aubrey-plaza-x-men-series-fx/

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

Fargo Season 3 isn't due until Spring 2017; this is probably why.

I know, but I haven't seen any reports that detail how involved he is. They basically all just state that he is writing the pilot.

Colony has been renewed. Great news, I've enjoyed the start of it tremendously.

http://tvline.com/2016/02/04/colony-renewed-season-2-usa-network/

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

lelandjs posted:

Because it's fun to look like you're supporting crazy conspiracy theorists and then pull the rug out from under them? Also it's a Ryan Murphy show so I was expecting sensationalism.

To be fair, it's not really a Ryan Murphy show. He's a producer, and he directed all the episodes, but he wasn't involved in the writing.

The writing and plotting is what seems to always doom a real Murphy show. Scream Queens was enjoyable but really burned off my goodwill over the last few episodes with no strong plot direction and pussying out of killing any characters people liked.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

sbaldrick posted:

The Criminal Mind's spinoff never started but it did somehow become the plot to CSI: Cyber, which even stars the same actress from the Criminal Mind's spinoff.

CBS is weird.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1703874/?ref_=nv_sr_3

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

The show isn't bad, very much a police procedural. The twist (we learn the identity of the victim and the killer at the start of each episode, and we get parallel storylines building up to and investigating the murder) is interesting and generally well-done.

The twist works well in most cases as it allows the guest actors to really go to town instead of having to play it close to the vest to hide their guilt. All in all it's one of the very few procedurals I still watch and enjoy.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Anyone check out Wynonna Earp?

Yup. Really liked the main character, and the sister was pretty good too. The plot needs more filling out as it is pretty simplistic right now, but I thought it was promising.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Whedon's not far off of the same misogyny and exploitation, just with a veneer of presenting "strong women" and without that film's weak satire.

Wow, you really take living up to your username seriously.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

By showing the magic witch still knows magic. Brilliant use of screentime.

I took it as her losing faith in her God.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

sbaldrick posted:

My wife watches Greys so I have seen enough of it to know what's going on. For a show that started as ER light, its really drifted to how the gently caress are these people still legally practice median

I watched the very early seasons, and by episode 1 of season 3 every single main character should have been fired and barred from ever practicing medicine, and Katherine Heigl's character should be in prison for a long time. The only character I didn't hate with a fiery passion at that point was Kate Walsh's, and she was brought in to be the villain. I did not watch any more...

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

X-O posted:

I'm fine with both options actually, saves me time. And if I like them then at least I was able to watch them for a few episodes.

These days I'm pretty much fine with shows getting cancelled as long as they get to finish their run. A good 13 or 22 episodes is enough in most cases.

The funniest thing about Limitless getting cancelled is that CBS instead ordered a show where they liked the pilot so much that they're shitcanning EVERYBODY except the two leads.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/matt-leblanc-cbs-comedy-jenna-fischer-exits-recasting-man-with-a-plan-1201755657/

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Sober posted:

For those interested: Vulture has a good long form article about how much the industry has changed since "Peak TV" has become a thing. And it's scary as someone who wants to throw their hat in the ring.

I'd love to hear your reasoning for thinking that way. From reading the article it basically seems to be a gold rush of opportunity for anyone trying to get work, while the people at the top (creators/showrunners) aren't making quite as many millions as they did a few years ago.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Fargo has cast Ewan McGregor as two of the leads for season 3...

http://deadline.com/2016/05/ewan-mcgregor-cast-lead-fargo-fx-1201760430/

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone watch any of the following:

Kingdom
Empire
Power
Ballers
Outsiders
Vinyl
Slasher

Goon reviews? Are any of them any good?

Slasher is enjoyable, if you can handle a low budget Canadian horror show. It has some of the weaknesses inherent in the format (why doesn't everybody leave etc), but I thought it had solid acting and writing and some good kills.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see. So it's sort of like The 4400 but a bit more bittersweet? Is what there is worth watching in spite of that, though?

Alphas is awesome.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
I just finished The Detour and I have to ask; is the reason why there has been so little talk of it that nobody watched it? I thought it was hysterical, and really hosed up. Let me put it this way, it went farther than any comedy I have seen in a long while, and I recently watched the latest season of Deadbeat, which has a necrophilia orgy. The episodes with the "Jewish" doctor alone has me shocked there hasn't been a media outcry...

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

You just answered your own question right there

'Cause nobody on SA would ever watch anything crude and tasteless...

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Really interesting looking Australian series coming up. Kind of a Tasmanian scandi-noir/Twin Peaks/Top of the Lake hybrid starring Elizabeth Debicki

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/06/the-kettering-incident.html

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Das Boot sequel series incoming

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-+Television%29

Not sure how the broadened focus will work, the claustrophobia of being on the sub was a major part of the original.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

sbaldrick posted:

Didn't the Lewis and Clark series run into massive production issues before shooting even started, like crippling ones?

This article says several episodes were shot:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hbo-goes-back-drawing-board-861767

As for miniseries; how about Slasher. Only 8 episodes and a fun watch.

Norwegian Rudo fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 1, 2016

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Started watching Bosch season 2. It's like all Wire vets at this point.

Loved season 2. Thought season 1 was OK/good, but season 2 got rid of most of the cliches and storyline problems. Also they added Matthew Lillard who is rapidly becoming a real favourite of mine with this and The Bridge. Can't wait to see what he's doing in Twin Peaks.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

smg77 posted:

Season 2 is a huge letdown after how fun season 1 was. The AV Club reviewer's theory is that Marti Noxon is spending more time on her other show and Unreal is suffering for it.

The big profile on the creator I read somewhere recently (Vulture?) made it seem like her and Noxon didn't get along at all, and that Noxon was pretty much gone.

Personally I just can't muster any interest at all in the show within the show which is getting far too much screentime. If I wanted to watch The Bachelor I would be watching The Bachelor.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

You might want to sit down before watching the Son Of Zorn trailer.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Carrie Coon to be the female lead in Fargo season 3. I haven't watched The Leftovers yet but I know people are very high on her performance there.

http://tvline.com/2016/07/11/fargo-season-3-carrie-coon-cast-fx/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga on Bates Motel got screwed again. I can overlook it for Vera this season because she wasn't the focal point, but if you don't get chills from Freddie's performances then I dunno what to tell you. I'm sure he'll have plenty of opportunities to get an award in the future, though.

Freddie has mentioned in several interviews that he is far from certain that acting is the career he wants to pursue.

less laughter posted:

Speaking of The Americans, Nina is on Tyrant now (FX probably wanted to keep her in the family) and it takes some getting used to hearing her speak English again instead of Russian for so long.

She is really lucky as her background is so ambiguous that she can play many different ethnicities.

less laughter posted:

Keegan-Michael Key getting nominated as a supporting actor instead of lead for a show that carries his very name in the tile feels like category fraud

I believe many (most?) sketch shows nominate everybody as supporting.

• Locked thread