Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mu Zeta posted:

Battlestar Galactica and Lost were good from beginning to end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

GreenNight posted:

Rather see another Quantum Leap season.

Every show is a Quantum Leap reboot so long as you pretend that while the opening credits play Sam Beckett leaps into the protagonist.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thread is now about the fun people/things Beckett could leap into.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The original Fargo lost the Best Picture academy award to The English Patient, which is a pretty good illustration of how any award or consensus among critics is meaningless garbage.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
A year ago I was looking forward to season 2 of both Fargo and True Detective equally.

Now I'm looking forward to season 3 of both Fargo and True Detective, but for completely opposite reasons.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
A showrunner lost his director and tried to do everything himself...you won't BELIEVE what happens next!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Toxxupation posted:

I just need to point out that season 2 was a response to the critical backlash of season one. that's how pizzolatto reacts to criticism. that's the tv he makes when he tries to address complaints.

How so? I could maybe see the lack of cosmic horror stuff as a response to crazy internet theorycrafting but almost everything else feels a lot more like sophomore slump combined with Nic Pizzolatto losing most of his collaborators from season 1 and doing everything himself.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Sherlock: The Abominable Bride is going to be streaming on PBS' site tonight at 9PM EST.

I know a lot of people (including myself) wee burned by season 3 but a stand-alone 1890s episode still sounds like a fun time.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I never got into Elementary because Sherlock for all its faults had a rad pilot and puts out three episodes every year or two instead of having 20 hours to slog through every year with a mediocre pilot and the promise that at one point it gets better.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Cowboy Bebop was the superior space western.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

lelandjs posted:

Another round of Firefly cancellation chat, another instance of me pointing out that the following shows deserved a second season far, far more than Firefly did:

*Clone High

Now there's a kickstarter I would actually donate to, if only because the creators have only gotten better and more successful since then so you know they could pull it off.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

raditts posted:

Cowboy Bebop's basic premise is about bounty hunting, and bounty hunting is tied pretty closely to westerns in popular culture, since most of the better / more popular westerns were centered around bounty hunting.

Also a lot of it is set on desert planets with obvious western designs, there are native americans, and there's even a fight on a train at one point.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJHTZLTLPho

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Always Sunny season 10 just Netflix and wow, we're finally at the point where half hour shows are 20 minutes long with credits.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

22 minutes has been the bog standard for half hour shows for as long as I can remember.

Yes, this is why it's surprising to see them down to 20.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Charlie Work is legitimately one of the best episodes Always Sunny has ever done.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Heroes Stillborn

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Oral histories are my favorite thing as of late. The ones on the Star Wars Holiday Special and Sir Mix-A-Lot's Baby Got Back video are lots of fun for completely opposite reasons.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

DurosKlav posted:

I cant wait for the comic book movie/tv show crash. I have a feeling that it will at least start this year because of over saturation.

Read an article about upcoming movies in 2016 and there were 7 comic book movies. Add the billion loving tv shows and surely its going to crash soon.

People have been saying this for literally a decade and it's never, ever been true. But rather than getting some perspective and self-awareness they just move the goalposts and swear that it's totally going to be Avengers Guardians of the Galaxy Avengers 2 Ant Man Civil War that's going to be the one that bombs and single-handedly destroys comic book movies and personally builds you a time machine to take you back to when you were 12 and blockbuster movies were all amazing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mu Zeta posted:

Ant Man bombed by marvel standards

It made almost as much as Captain America 2 and Thor 2 on 2/3rds the budget with no previous franchise entry, it's doing great.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Oh yeah, Powers came out in 2015 didn't it. Was that any good?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

hcreight posted:

Because Goons who hate superheroes really, really want you to know they hate superheroes.

I hate superheroes! I hate Undertale! And boy oh boy do I hate the Xbox One!

-the next five pages are enveloped in a rising tide of angry buzzing-

Snak posted:

An experienced film director

quote:

Kevin Smith

Ahahahha

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/steven-soderbergh-says-more-the-knick-is-coming-reveals-rough-plan-for-season-3-beyond-20151221

Nothing is greenlit yet but they've ordered scripts and Soderbergh is seeking replacement directors.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sober posted:

https://twitter.com/MichaelAusiello/status/687045971637743616

I'm okay with this. Considering Shameless is the longest running Showtime show that hasn't poo poo the bed yet. Penny Dreadful probably the only close second.

Holy poo poo, we have embedded tweets now.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Josh Lyman posted:

Comic book movies are doing so well, let's revive our comic book TV show!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

blue squares posted:

No one's going to cancel a show because it makes fun of the network

If anything making fun of something just makes people more aware of the thing they're making fun of. I guarantee you that your average 30 Rock viewer is a lot more familiar with GE than other similar companies just because of the jokes the show made about it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Slamhound posted:

Till now, geo-dodging meant Netflix could act as a paid pirating service.

Netflix still got your subscription money and the content you watched still got the viewership credit, that's like the opposite of piracy.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

zoux posted:

Oh? Well that's still pretty good.

It's like they realized that they can never compete with Steam and people who are willing to wait 6 months to buy games at :10bux: so instead they decided to target people who have to buy a game right when it comes out.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

Remember when the GBA had cartridges that let you watch one or two heavily compressed episodes of dubbed shounen?

e: there were regular cartoons too apparently

Still more practical than Sony trying to make UMD discs into an actual media format.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Steve2911 posted:

So Neil Patrick Harris is going to be playing Count Olaf in the Unfortunate Events series.

This... Kinda has potential but it bums me the gently caress out. It seems like the same fundamental misunderstanding of the character that we got in the movie. That said, I really can't imagine would would be well cast in the role.

Ah well. At least it's probably actually happening. I wonder what sort of accent everyone will have.

I can kind of dig it, in the books he was this theatrical but menacing figure who was always mincing around in unconvincing disguises that still managed to fool everyone but the Baudelaire orphans because adults are terrible and the world is unfair. NPH could have a lot of fun with that role.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Steve2911 posted:

'I want to murder babies for a relatively small amount of money'

But enough about Jim Carrey being an anti-vaxxer.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yredc3ayOE

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Steve2911 posted:

Why have you done this thing?

The fact that they made an adaptation of Peep Show that doesn't have the actual gimmick that gives it its title would be a hilarious joke if it wasn't real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q-U2THOF00

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
TBS: The Best Shows

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

whowhatwhere posted:

Ah, I suppose I make a distinction between Elliot & co. and the show. Elliot and everyone else are crazy loving smug anti-establishment, but the show as a whole isn't smug. But I guess that wouldn't be helpful to someone just getting into it.

Yeah, Elliot is totally doing the whole Tyler Durden "eff society maaaan, you are your khakis" bit but the show makes it pretty clear from episode one that he is a mentally ill drug addict and that his worldview isn't endorsed by the show but instead the result of a severely broken individual.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Snak posted:

Pretty soon they will use the same technology they use to put lines and poo poo on football games to have the Flash zipping through content that airs on their channel. Like, you're watcing hichschool basketball, and suddenly there's lighting and the Flash zips through the court on the way to doing something.

http://i.imgur.com/WTp85xO.gifv

Mu Zeta posted:

"Starring James Franco..."

Pass

I used to be a pretty big James Franco apologist but he's really wearing thin on me, if The Disaster Artist is yet another vanity project instead of the next Ed Wood he's gonna lose me.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZr7gMG13wQ

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Yeah, the latter half just has everybody acting stupider in the name of keeping the show going and then the end is an wet fart that doesn't really resolve anything. And Tennant goes to poo poo too because they overexplain and overexpose his character so he loses all his menace even as he's supposed to be getting more powerful.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sober posted:

That's kind of the point though.

Just because it's intentional doesn't make it not lovely. Same with the fight scenes, there are ways to make fights with inexperienced people exciting and interesting instead of just having the character break some prop furniture while having a temper tantrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

zoux posted:

Weirdly, this season is the best since season five. In fact it's fifth (or fourth?) episode was one of the best episode of TV I saw last year.

E: in fact I'd encourage anyone who is a lapsed fan to track down "Baby", it's like the platonic ideal of a Supernatural episode and it barely references the season's overall arc. It's great and reminded me of all the stuff I loved about the show when it's on top form.

For the uninitiated, that episode's gimmick is that it's shot entirely from the interior of their car as they tool around a small town hunting a monster. It's done really well.

• Locked thread