Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Bill Cosby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's really good. Miller and Liu are both great and get some really natural, nuanced character development as the show goes on. Also for a procedural on CBS it has one of the most realistic and brutally honest portrayals of recovery from addiction on TV. Not for everyone and I know some people just didn't get hooked enough to keep with it, but it's a well done show that's worth checking out.

It's the kind of show that you can kind of forget about and then catch up on over a weekend when you've got nothing else to watch. Also John Noble is in the newest season and basically plays Walternate, so it's got that going for it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mu Zeta posted:

Elementary is good but it's still 80% procedural CBS cop show

Well yeah that's kind of a given. I mean, that's kind of Sherlock's thing and the reason why there are a billion TV shows that are just "Sherlock Holmes except it's totally not because he has this one gimmick".

Timby posted:

Watched the first episode of Peaky Blinders the other night and was really impressed, especially by the cinematography. Does the quality hold up or should I just walk away now before disappointment sets in?

What? :psyduck:

It's just TV man, watch things that you enjoy watching and then if you stop enjoying them stop watching them. It doesn't have to be complicated.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

less laughter posted:

I was just poking a bit of fun at certain goons who posted a while ago that stuff like Shameless and Jessica Jones was too much for them to handle. Which is maybe an expected reaction from an 11-year-old to filmed, entirely fictional entertainment but not really from a grown adult. Watching the graphic episode I described above would probably "trigger" them into a coma.

Yeah nothing screams grown adult like making fun of people for reacting strongly to stories about rape.

Idiot.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

less laughter posted:

Thanks for your mature response.

Ah yes because your post where you don't understand why some people are emotionally affected by fictional characters and call them literal children was the height of mature discourse. Please continue to shower the thread with your brilliant psychoanalysis and misunderstanding of basic human empathy.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
In case anyone still isn't watching it, Limitless came back from the holiday break and had a scene where the main character imagines a boardroom meeting between a senator's aid and the FBI where everyone takes a second to admire Bradley Cooper's (the aforementioned senator) amazing blue eyes after they put a closeup of his face up on a giant monitor.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

zoux posted:

Does the 700 Club even have ads?

I think they call them Seed Investment Opportunities.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

blue squares posted:

the 100 season 2 is still pretty good after two episodes, but I am disappointed that Oh no! the smiling nice people whose leader's name is loving DANTE actually have a terrible secret! It's a very unoriginal plot point, right down to the draining blood from living people

FWIW they do some interesting (if still a bit cliche) stuff with all of that. The main dude, for example, gets to be an actual character that makes Actual Hard Choices and isn't just the mustache twirling comic book villain he appears to be at first. And then of course the eventual resolution of that plot arc ends in typical The 100 fashion, aka everything is resolved totally smoothly with no bloodshed and everyone lives happily ever after.

Also to be fair, the vast majority of The 100's plot points are super unoriginal/cliche. It's the fact that the characters are forced to make difficult decisions after everything inevitably gets hosed that makes it a fun/interesting show. If you just described what's happened on the show to someone it'd just be a combination of like a dozen other sci-fi movies/shows.

VDay fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 8, 2016

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You are reading into my joke entirely too much if you actually think I've spoiled anything for you. Unless you think being told that some bad stuff happens is a spoiler for a show where literally everything goes wrong all the time.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

blue squares posted:

thought you were being serious. im dumb

My bad I probably should've made it more obvious since sarcasm doesn't exactly translate well into text and you're only 2 episodes into the season. But yeah it was just a dumb joke because "A plan goes horribly wrong" describes so many of the show's episodes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You might have to do the unthinkable and just watch a show you don't already have a preformed opinion on based on internet forum posts.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I caught a bunch of Spartacus reruns in the last few days and this is your bi-yearly reminder that Spartacus is one of the best written shows ever that just happens to be couched in a hilarious amount of blood, CGI, and tits/dicks.

I'm not the type of person that goes back and rewatches shows, but I think I might finally rewatch the whole series at some point this year. Because holy poo poo does that show do so, so, so many things right.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Zaggitz posted:

Wise words from a good poster.

whowhatwhere posted:

That pilot though.

A TV show that takes a whole 4 episodes before it becomes one of the best TV shows of the last decade. What an insurmountable obstacle.

VDay fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 13, 2016

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If only this show about slavery and what it means to be truly free had some kind of social commentary in it, it might be considered good...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If you want to say you didn't like Spartacus or it wasn't your cup of tea that's entirely up to you and is obviously something I won't try to argue.

But it's a TV show that features political backstabbing that's up there with Rome and Game of Thrones, character development that makes even the bad guys seem reasonable and relatable, multiple gay relationships that are so nuanced and interesting that they embarrass anything else on TV short of some CW shows, and some Shakespearean poo poo-talking dialogue that is only rivaled by Deadwood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQx490A7zDU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIEZmpo4rkM

And even all of that is ignoring the fact that the lead actor passed away after one season and the show managed to pull a fantastic prequel season out of its rear end that was not only satisfying but also introduced a great new character while giving multiple established characters deeper motivations and storylines. Oh and no big deal but it also managed to have one of the best finales of any show ever that managed to tie up all the loose ends, gave a satisfying conclusion to a bunch of characters we knew wouldn't have happy endings, and paid tribute to the original Spartacus actor who passed away after the first season.

But I guess it didn't say much besides slavery is bad so it's automatically a horrible show, just like how 12 Years a Slave is considered a horrible movie.

IN MY OPINION

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

blue squares posted:

Wow, learn to read

blue squares posted:

I don't think Spartacus really engages with that, though. The point of the show is to show awesome fights, and it does that well. From my recollection, there isn't a lot of depth in the examination of the nature of freedom, self-determination, etc.

You watched a TV show that is about a son trying to make a name for himself separate from his father, about a gladiator that tries to break free from his owners, about a Roman citizen reaching above his predetermined social standing, about the wife of a lanista using slaves for her own advantage, about the daughter of a powerful Roman official trying to gain power separate from her brother/family, about a Roman senator that tries to gain as much power as possible, about a Roman general that tries to play a bad situation to his advantage, about a Roman son of a senator that tries to take gain favor with his father, about a former slave and rape victim trying to overcome her experiences, and about an entire class of people that are trying to fight for freedom and decided that none of those scenarios really examine the nature of freedom, self-determination, etc but were instead just about awesome fights.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
They were real loving good. Like, dude-gets-stabbed-in-the-mouth-with-the-tip-of-a-spear-and-then-the-spear-gets-jammed-up-so-that-the-dude's-jaw-snaps-off good.

And that's just from the episode I happened to watch.

Look all I'm saying is that Spartacus is a show that everyone needs to watch and form an opinion for themselves.

But also if their opinion contradicts mine then they're obviously wrong.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I actually thought the Lucifer pilot was ok but it did nothing to make me want to actually watch the show. It's like someone thought that the problem with a typical Sherlock Holmes archetype is that he's just not smug enough.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Toxxupation posted:

so bryan singer cast the dude who plays Shadow from Known Bad TV Show the 100

Since like most of your posts this is just a worthless word jumble, the actual news is:

‘The 100’s Ricky Whittle cast as Shadow in American Gods

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

X-O posted:

I loved the first season and thought the second season completely blew it away. (Of Manhattan that is, since we're on another page now)
Same. The first season was good but the second season was incredible. Really sad it got cancelled but it was hard to see a slow, brooding character-focused drama doing well on WGN for more than 2 seasons. At least it ended on a super depressing note I guess? :(

Hopefully it ticks enough niche check boxes that Netflix or Amazon pick it up.

Mu Zeta posted:

Is there a cliffhanger
Kind of yeah. It's a show all about the characters and a couple are basically completely over their heads at the end of season 2. The very last shot of the show is at least appropriately dour and powerful, but some big threads were being set up during the season that were just getting more interesting.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That's why I said 'kind of'. Yeah it's not a "holy poo poo I can't believe he's about to ____" cliffhanger, but the situation with Frank, Jim, and Fritz at the very end is hardly a natural conclusion/pause, well except for Fritz :(. I'm personally pretty satisfied with the show but I can see someone getting to that point and then being disappointed that they're not going to see what happens next, which is I think what Mu Zeta was asking about/leaning towards.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

EL BROMANCE posted:

The UK one, presumably? Is the US one even still going? That's definitely a big hire, 'go big or go home' I guess. Be interesting to see what he's like as a presenter but it works for me on paper.

Yeah the UK one. I kept seeing commercials about him presenting a best-of episode or something, wonder if that was like a quick test run to see how people would react. Pretty good choice but it's still going to be weird that there's a Top Gear without the Top Gear guys because they're just making their own.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
He's presumably going to be an (more) American version of Hammond so he should be good. He's legitimately into cars and all sorts of racing so he's got that going for him as well.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Vikings is absolutely worth checking out. It does a fantastic job of creating this mostly-historical-but-kind-of-not-quite world by mixing actual history with some mysticism to really give the Viking culture a sort of alien/foreign feel. The cast and the acting are great as well. Season 1 is worth watching just to see Gustaf Skarsgård's Floki who pretty much steals every scene he's in.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

It's a pretty good show, hth.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man this must be like a second Christmas for the Star Trek slashfic community.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Wait till you guy hear about the truth behind reality shows...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Hey gang, thread friend VDay here. Vikings is back tonight and is a show that you should watch.

Speaking of which, History Channel has integrated a new, subtle marketing strategy. See if you can spot the ad during this scene from Vikings. It's pretty subtle so you might have to maximize the screenshot and study it for a few minutes.

"Hey VDay, I just barely spotted that but it's probably not that bad. I mean, it's not like that thing was animated right?" you might be thinking. Don't worry fellow thread friend, it totally was.

"Hey you know what's not a totally dead revenue stream? Intrusive internet-style banner ads! Everyone loves those!"

(you should still watch Vikings, it is A Good Show)

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The thing I'm really liking about Colony so far is how quickly the show moves. It would have been pretty easy to drag out the initial reveal for 3-4 episodes, then have the husband chase after a single lead for half a season, and only then do what the show just did/is about to do wrt changing the status quo.

Hopefully they don't run out of ideas too quickly or start pumping the brakes too hard, but so far the quicker pace gives the show some genuine tension.

Also I appreciate that both the evil overlord stooges and the resistance are portrayed as awful but logical, with fairly believable motivations. Although they totally should've stolen the idea from XCom2 and had the aliens cure all known diseases.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

zoux posted:

I'm not paying for an ad supported service.

So just pirate it?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fooz posted:

There are at least 100 'dear white people who do this' for every white person who does that. Like, did you even meet one person who actually complained about beyonce?

This is a pretty insane thing to say considering this loving guy is about to shout his way to a presidential nomination based on a platform of "I'll kick all the Muslims and Mexicans out":

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/517293224831234048

Like come on.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Looks kinda like some mix between Black Sails and Peaky Blinders, I'm down.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Toxxupation posted:

notice hwo the exact same people who claim The 100 is 'good' claim that Gotham is now 'good'. draw your own conclusions, bown. namaste

The 100 is a good show.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

This is very good. Almost as good as The 100, a good TV show.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's a TV show, that's on TV, and is good hth

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh, sorry.

It airs on the CW on Thursdays hth

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Blood must not have blood.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Flash is a fun show you all just have aspergers and are unable to enjoy fun things

Fun things like watching Barry agonize over multiple character deaths and generally be an rear end in a top hat.

Not what I pictured Wednesday as in my head but yeah, he'll be awesome.

VDay fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 3, 2016

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Toxxupation posted:

also it's p lol as gently caress

I wish you could get banned for this crime against language.

In other news I finally got around to starting on The Expanse and 4 episodes in I'm liking it so far. The three stories seem a bit disconnected this early on but are obviously slowly coming together, so I'm definitely intrigued enough to want to keep watching. I do keep laughing though because I'm pretty sure the plot is lifted from one of the Gundam shows except from the viewpoint of the Earth/colony/Mars governments that are being rebelled against/terrorized, so I keep expecting mechs to just pop out any time there's a battle. Mech deficiencies aside, there's some genuinely neat world building and surprisingly well-thought-out ~*~future science~*~ touches all over the place which is nice to see. Probably gonna finish it up this week :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't think you need to warn people about how idealistic TWW is. Just look at the fact that one of the two major political parties in the US right now is basically in an open revolt against the front-runner for their presidential nomination, or what the Republicans are trying to pull with the supreme court nomination. Watching a single episode of TWW and comparing it to our actual political reality should make it pretty clear just how far apart the two are.

• Locked thread