Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Toxxupation is making the right decision and y'all need to stop pretending a CW drama is ever going to be actual drama good. Just because it gets grimdark and someone commits genocide or something doesn't make it good.

I know, I missed me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly far less interested in unfair cancellation talk than how exactly that guy googled Serenity in relation to Firefly and didn't find anything about the movie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Poor Zaggitz's friends and family.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's really cool but also it looks like Daredevil and Jessica Jones might both be in the top 5 so really the whole thing is a wash

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh boy! Brooklyn Nine-Nine is back!

*literally the first scene is Captain Holt doing wacky dancing*

*Brooklyn Nine-Nine goes down several rungs in my mind*

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I found myself forgetting to watch it for a couple days more and more the closing months of 2015. It's a good show with a fine cast (who elevate the writing a lot) but more and more it's just not the kind of show I ever wanted it to be. I was ok with how broad it was last season but now it's going a little far.

Anyway the episode definitely isn't terrible and is probably one of the stronger ones of the season so far overall but I definitely think there's been a change in my perception of it and it isn't gonna come to mind as one of my favourite comedies anymore really.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree except I feel it never really became the cop Parks it, in my mind, should have been. I think I've always had a vague disappointment with it for that but it's been a good enough show anyway for me not to care until now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Two thirds in and the episode got bad again

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's a TV? Is it like a Streambox?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Snak making a strong early case for best poster of 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Were the fights awesome, though?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow Love comes out much sooner than I was expecting. I thought Apatow was involved creatively though so it's kind of a bummer he's not

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah like the lovely hunger games monologue in the pilot that's probably the weakest thing about it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

I liked it a lot, actually.

no way

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Norwegian Rudo posted:

In potentially awesome news, Nahnatchka Khan is trying to do a Don't Trust The B Christmas special:

http://www.themarysue.com/krysten-ritter-apt-23-xmas-party/

I want this very much please

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
would HAVE priormarcus would HAVE, gently caress

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
TVIV arguments make me so....rambunctious

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

No you totally can! That's why I tell people to skip it, because they could come to the totally justified conclusion that pnr is worthless garbage off of season one and then not watch it any more

what the fu-man this thread was so much less fun when you couldn't post in it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

Yeah I'm at episode 9 and I think I'm ready to call it quits with Jessica Jones. Now I'm even more confused at how it made #2 at the end of the TV/IV list.

because goons are populist shills who like to play at having taste

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

The themes and messages are great, it's the execution that's absolute dogshit.

Some people look at shows less objectively than others. For some Jessica Jones is a fantastic show simply for being about what it's about. It can be mildly frustrating when people go on about them instead of shows with more love and thought put into them, sure, but it's a million miles away from being an actual issue

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean one of those posts is clearly more serious and more Actually My Opinion than the other

I know it's sorta patronising but honestly it's the only way I can make sense of it in my head. I'm extremely poor at seeing things from other points of view and it genuinely makes absolutely no sense to me that people prefer Marvel shows and whatever to something I would view as more artistically 'legitimate'. I'm not proud of that, and I'd love to be able to understand other points of view, but for now it is what it is, so I just try not to actively insult anyone for thinking differently.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lucifer is like someone saw god cop from 30 rock and thought 'yes, this...but the opposite'

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Btw if anyone ever needs any ammo for Occ/Toxx I just remembered he thinks that season 6 of Community is like the second best one

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spatula City posted:

It's Satan, BUT HE'S A COP seems like something Jack Donaghy might have come up with in that season of 30 Rock where he was deliberately trying to destroy NBC.

I already made this joke in this thread HOW DARE YOU

season 6 of Community is good and Frankie/Elroy slot in perfectly and it has a brilliant finale but it's also not very funny a lot of the time and the worst episodes are even worse than a lot of 4

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it's 2016 and some people still think lost ended with they were in purgatory :psyduck:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ironically Rick and Morty did pull off a pretty good twist in its finale, although not one that would really have been possible to guess ahead of time.

lelandjs posted:

The whole "heart of the island" thing? Yeah, I was disappointed that the explanation of... everything was mystical (light and water and electromagnetism combining in the set of an Enya music video, ugh, gross) until I realized that under the cork was a ball of the red matter from Star Trek and Alias and that there was a logical scientific explanation after all.

So you really wanted there to be a totally scientific, rational explanation for everything that happened in LOST?

I've never actually seen one of you in the wild. That's absolutely fascinating.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep that's true. I fell for that one completely.

I don't think LOST was ever meant to be purgatory the whole time, though. Just doesn't really fit with anything about the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RC and Moon Pie posted:

How the hell did that show continue to air 10 years despite the plot being the same every time?

Because this describes almost every classic British sitcom. Hell, Only Fools and Horses is basically just the same three lines ("I'm a dodgy dealer!" "I'm a plonker!" "I'm senile!") repeated ad nauseam in mildly different ways.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh gently caress, really? I'm at work now but that's scary.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fortitude is really good. Inessential peak TV, but definitely worth a try.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched the first episode of Horace and Pete last night. It was weird as hell, but I really really enjoyed it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

If I didn't enjoy the first 1/3, should I bother with the rest? It just felt incredibly clunky to me, like it was the rehearsal for a multicam or stage play without a studio audience, and all the characters just felt really preachy. Like, other Louie CK stuff can feel pretty preachy, but this just felt really undercooked to me.

I love the release method, the distribution channel, and the cast, but the actual episode itself fell really flat for me from what I watched.

It gets a lot better, yeah, but never really stops being lo-fi and weird. But as soon as Edie Falco shows up it takes it up a notch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shame on anyone who enjoys Clarkson's Top Gear in any form

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow that latest X-Files episode was insanely good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Isn't TBS basic cable?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Teachers is on TVLand, but yes both are basic cable.

Oops my bad. Guess this shows how much attention I actually pay to Alison Brie's tweets.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The 100 is the Sex House of 2016

sure PoI of 2016 might have been more accurate but it's less funny

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

sex house is good, though...?

Just think level of goon-described quality compared to actual quality. Sex House is a decent, interesting reality TV pastiche, not the be-all-end-all final stop of reality TV spoofs. Person of Interest is a procedural with fun characters and interesting themes, not the most groundbreaking serialised drama ever aired on a network show. And now The 100 is clearly another CW show no matter how much people say it isn't, focusing on the different elements and ignoring the similar ones.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

yeah, but, counterpoint: sex house is good, though?

I didn't really make it very far in so I dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I demand we make Horace and Pete this year's overrated show instead of The 100. Everyone watch Horace and Pete it's loving rad

• Locked thread