Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I just remembered that the character on Glee that that guy played sang "I've been waiting for a girl like you" to a little girl baby.

Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

DrVenkman posted:

I didn't think PERSON OF INTEREST was doing that bad ratings wise, so why is it getting hosed around so much?

Abrams confirmed it's likely to get cancelled after the this season, but said that it's a shame because the story they had planned for after that sounded amazing. For a show that I barely watched when it started (As in I cared little for it) it got drat good. It'll be a shame to see it go.

Pullin' this back, but pretty much all speculation about POI and CBS is that POI is WB-owned and CBS has doubled down this season on prioritizing its homegrown shows over externally-produced fare.

More or less everyone assumes S5 will be its last season, at least on CBS, and Netflix has at least expressed a vague interest in pick it up for future seasons, but no parties involved can discuss/negotiate that until/unless CBS actually makes said cancellation official. (And that's increasingly less likely to happen in the first place the longer CBS sits on the show without making a decision.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

DivisionPost posted:

The second it begins airing, with the exception of Last Week Tonight and Real Time with Bill Maher. Those tapes come in hot off the press, so it takes a while to convert them to streaming video standards.

Yeah, I know last season, GoT eps were up for streaming for me on the west coast within about a minute or two of it starting on live tv on the east coast.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

VagueRant posted:

Can someone explain to a non-viewer why fans of Pretty Little Liars seem to really HATE the showrunner?

This has recently happened to the Arrow fandom (I guess the showrunner said a bunch of dumb stuff about his unpopular decisions with the plot) and The 100 had a whole backlash against the creator - people were asking for both of them to resign. I guess it's nice to have a name and a face to pin all of the degredation of a show on, but what throws me is I'm pretty sure those dudes did the GOOD seasons too.

Is Pretty Little Liars just bad now, or was it moreso a Felicity-like thing like Arrow or a perceived bigotry thing like The 100?

PLL has been bad for at least a season and a half now (or even longer depending on who you talk to). I couldn't speak to why anyone would now be calling for King's head, though.

As far as the "well they were in charge for the good seasons too" bit, sometimes showrunners just jump up their own asses the longer a show goes on. Example -- The L Word. Some (crazy) people think the first season or two were actually decent to good and that the show just went completely off the rails from S3 onward. All six seasons had the same showrunner. Probably she should have been replaced at some point before she decided the best story to tell with its final season was "one of the main characters will be killed and the entire season will be a flashback to BUILD THE MYSTERY OF WHO MURDERED HER but i will not actually solve the mystery because sometimes in real life cases go unsolved!!!"

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

GreenNight posted:

My folks have HBO, can I use their cable sub to use HBO Go?

Should be able to; I use my parents' to watch Game of Thrones on HBOGo.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

pentyne posted:

This is called being a good story teller. You cannot let the audience dictate the terms of your writing or plot if you ever expect to make something good. People will go apeshit over a character being gay/not gay, insist characters X and Y are in love with each other and harass real life people over it, and basically start their own "canon" storylines on tumblr and poo poo and then get into arugements that the new material isn't true to the original/source.

In short, gently caress fans and their whiny baby entitlement belief that internet outrage should dictate a story.

There's a fine line to walk. If a showrunner and his writing staff are actively reaching out to their audience and engaging them (whether to generate word-of-mouth buzz for the show or just because dude wants lots of twitter followers to feel better about himself), you can't exactly ignore them entirely anymore. You've deliberately made yourself beholden to them at that point, and a lot of the anger at The 100 specifically was borne of a sense of bait-and-switch between the showrunners and the audience (and it's the same people infecting other show audiences with that same anger, whether or not they actually watch these other shows like Person of Interest). Just write the story you want to write, and don't beg and plead for your audience to please please trust you, look how progressive you are, and whatever other nonsense.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

GreenNight posted:

Engaging with the shows audience is just a marketing tool. They don't have to do jack poo poo to appease the masses.

They don't have to do anything. That doesn't mean it won't result in an online media frenzy if they deliberately seek out and engage a very specific segment of their audience that's generally Very Young and going to get Very Angry when they feel lied to. (And "lied to" in this instance refers, from what I understand, to some tweet from the actress that was more or less a goodbye to the show that said audience latched onto and was then told by the writers to not pay any attention to it of course that character is fine! Or some such nonsense. Regardless, what happened with the 100 had about a thousand different points of contention that added up to the shitmess it become and that just aren't there with every other show that's ended up lumped in with this mess.)

hope and vaseline posted:

Bait and Switch scenario:

Showrunner tweets pictures of Lexa in the finale, in the City of Light.
Fact: CoL is an AI mindspace inhabited by forcefully chipped humans now functioning as a hive-mind.
Fact: Humans can exist in the CoL after their physical body has died, as long as the server remains active

Does anyone not understand that the tweet is not a loving promise that your beloved queer OTP romance character is going to live until the finale? Especially when it was confirmed way early in the season that the actress would be moving on from the show already?

See what I said above about the tweet. Granted, I've only read about the after-the-fact-ness of it because I haven't watched any of season 3 yet, but there you go. Like I said, it's a thousand little things that added up to that one segment of the audience feeling used/lied to.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

HorseRenoir posted:

I didn't mind Season 4, but you could tell that the writers still thought the network was going to give them two more seasons to finish things out and that really hurt the season in retrospect.

Also that their storyline at that point hinged on Shaw's presence and, well, Shahi was pregnant with twins by they time they started filming the first episodes. It's incredibly obvious that the second half of the season was more than anything them dragging it along until she could return. Just, CBS didn't renew the show for even a full final season so, welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Guy Mann posted:

If you're still legitimately emotionally disturbed about Trump winning just watch some of the coverage following the 08/12 elections for some perspective. Look at all the sore losers crying about how President Obama and a Democrat majority means that all guns are going to be outlawed and everyone is going to have free healthcare and reflect on how little of their doom and gloom predictions came true. It's not going to be any different now that you're the sore loser making doom and gloom predictions.

Pretty sure none of Obama's supporters had already spent the first 24 hours post-election openly threatening people in the streets for daring to be <insert minority here>, smashing beer bottles in a gay man's face or telling another to "watch his back" now that Trump has been elected, but sure okay.

The most pressing issue now isn't (or at least, very little) Trump and his planned policies; it's the validation of all his most vitriolic, sociopathic supporters.

• Locked thread