Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone bothering to give the 100 a shot needs to watch at least through the third episode. Everything that happens in the first 2 episodes is dumb CW pilot poo poo. It still takes awhile to get actually good, but if you don't watch episodes 3 and 4 you basically haven't started the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Working my way through season 1 of Dark Matter. This show is pretty fun

"Some of us were thinking of heading into the station to catch a movie, wanna come"

"No thanks"

"But... It's Star Wars 36! Remastered in full VR... They say it's a classic"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The 100 literally went from a show I couldn't drink enough to enjoy, to my favorite show of the year.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Remember Jericho? The 100 is like that. Once the showrunners got the network bullshit out of the way and could do what they wanted it got amazing.

Actually Jericho never got remotely good or interesting, and I quit watching it with like 4 episodes left because holy poo poo, what a wast of time. It had a pretty cook premise though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If someone doesn't want to give it a shot, I don't give a poo poo. It's not skin off my back.

But it's not good because it's "grimdark". It's good because the characters do start out as horribly naive and childish teenagers and then they have to start dealing with the consequences of poo poo really fast. I like it because the character actually develop as people from their annoying YA archetype selves. I like it a lot better than say, LOST, where I felt the characters never actually developed. They just "revealed" more poo poo to us about them.

Or course it's not for everyone. The BSG ripoff poo poo on the Ark is definitely the shittiest part of the show. Without a doubt. But it also isn't really the focus.

It also doesn't stop being a teen drama. The adult characters are some of the weakest. It stays a teen drama, but it's a good one. The writer know what they are doing, and the amount that little character details stay relevant later is pretty great. The shows ends up having better writing than plenty of other drama's I've watched, regardless of their target demographic.

But seriously, if Toxxupation doesn't want to watch it, well, who cares.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The second season of prison break is every bit as good as the first season. The third season is complete garbage, and the 4th season is like some kind of mission: impossible reboot. The "stand alone" two-part finale is literally the worst thing in the entire show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really liked The English Patient. But I saw it when I was way younger and probably thought it was good because it seemed like a "grownup" movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo Wil Weaton looks ridiculous in Dark Matter. I didn't even recognize him at first.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, is there seriously gonna be a season 3 of True Detective after that piece of poo poo failure last season? I went in optimistic. The cast didn't phase me or dissuade me. But the script was loving garbage.

Edit: fixed an accidental meme.

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 1, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

HBO signed like a five-year right of first refusal exclusivity deal with pizzolatto, of course there's gonna be a TD season 3

also please don't describe something as "fail"
That was a typo. Meant to say "failure".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Season 2 of True Detective was not great, but I don't naturally expect season 3 to be the same, especially after the critical backlash

It depends if they understand what they did wrong though. If they don't, they could still gently caress it up pretty badly by trying recapture what made season 1 great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, I told myself I was gonna avoid it, but One-Punch Man is pretty funny so far. "Kill that man on your shoulder!"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a place that Millenium can be watched legally for free? Like netflix/amazon/hulu? (in the US). Because I should really check it out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

Posted it in the main thread, but I appreciate the recommendations to give The 100 another go when I asked in the last Couch Chat thread. It proved worthwhile. And grim!

Here's a broader question: what episodes of Buffy and Angel are worth a(nother) look?

I watched the entirety of Buffy when I was a kid, but there's a lot I do not remember, I tried a rewatch several years back, but didn't make it through season 3. Even though I really liked the humour and some of the ideas, the quality massively varied from episode to episode, the teen melodrama was too much and I always found Buffy herself quite an unlikeable lead. Plus, the way these shows had so many episodes back then, it worked week-to-week, butt sometimes just doesn't hold up for binge viewing.

I did go back and watch Hush (the one with no dialogue), The Body (the one with...that awkward vampire at the end) and Once More With Feeling (the best musical episode of a TV show ever?) - which were all top tier television. People still make reference to the show and some of its biggest moments that I don't remember, and I'm curious if there's any I should go back and watch like those three.

Angel I, strangely, watched up to Doyle's death and then stopped, not even halfway through season 1. (I really liked that character.) I ended up catching a few of the later eps were there was a funny camp demon with a green face, and Angel had an evil whiny son from the future or something? It seemed offputtingly wacky, but apparently people really loved that show and I CONSTANTLY see references to the finale. Is it worth committing to a full watch, or are there just standout eps I should check out?

Essential viewing guides really should be more popular...

My controversial opinion on this is that yes, Buffy is very good and you should watch the whole thing, but that Angel is garbage and you shouldn't waste your time. Buffy works because it's a great coming of age arc for all the characters, and angel doesn't have this component at all and all the characters have no excuse for acting like moronic teenagers and the stories themselves are interesting or funny enough to make up for the characters being worse than Buffy characters across the board.

But also, I mean, you watched some of the best episodes of Buffy out of order, so that's lame. Buffy has lots of good neat characters bits in almost every episode, even the bad ones. I've watched the series about three times through, and even though there's episodes I feel like I want to skip, as I'm watching them I realize that a good character moment was in that episode that is semi-important.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I watched the first 3 seasons of angel and I don't think I liked a single episode. People told me " oh you quit just before it got good". I watch plenty of dramas about being adults. That show doesn't seem to be about anything.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
About 1/3 of Sherlock is great and the rest is almost unwatchably bad.

I haven't given Elementary a shot at all yet. Is it good, or just "better than Sherlock"?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Cool, I might give it a shot sometime. I didn't know who was in it, and when you said Miller I was gonna say, "If Wentworth Miller is the lead, gently caress it I'm out," but I see that it is not him.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't mind a procedural as long as I'm in the mood for it. I watched Castle for years. It took quite a bit for to finally say wow this show is poo poo and stop watching it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I never understood which part of cowboy bebop was supposed to be a western. I think people just say it is because the word "cowboy" is in the title.

Trigun is at least actually a space western.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

I loved Trigun when I was a teenager.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure I can watch it again.

But I'm watching One Lunch Man literally right now, which, now that I think about it is really similar in tone. Not are about a guy who is literally the best most invincible guy, but he's a huge goofball. Every fight is like wow how is going to win this one with ease.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Terriers was really good. It reminded me of Veronica Mars except it's not in highschool and instead of a hot blonde girl the star is an alcoholic 40 year old.

I guess I need to watch Terriers. Veronica Mars was almost good. Like if Dawson's Creek and Buffy had a child that was slightly stupid.

Edit: ^ I guess I never saw any of those episodes. The last episode I watched was the one with the dramatic villain and there was like a big stained glass window.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

There was another Trigun movie not long ago and it held up pretty well for me.

Related, the only costume I have ever worn as an adult was this one time I dressed as Nicholas Wolfwood when my ex and I went to an anime convention. That loving cross was heavy.

I feel like the ultimate cossplay cross would have the sliding compartments for guns, but would be full of snacks and bottled water.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

Wow, Sense8 is so unrealistic. In the first episode, a black child pulls a gun on a white cop and the white cop just stares at him

I really, really like that show, but everything about that cops cop story is the worst thing in the entire show. The show is pretty and unsubtle in most of its messages, but the police poo poo is beyond hamfisted.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Starting Terriers. Pretty great so far. Donal Logue is fantastic as always.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Whoever said it was like Veronica Mars but with 45 year old deadbeat as the lead was spot-on. But in a good way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Couch Chat: The Already 2016 Edition

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Everything I've read about it says the first episode is a huge info dump.

The key to good storytelling, right here. Stamp out plot-holes before they start! /s.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I look forward to contrarian goons crowning it as far, far better than GoT ever was.

Well story-wise, that won't be hard. GoT is a loving paragon of production value, including makeup and costuming, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think that he should just stick to art direction and creature design. I don't think his strength is in story-telling.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

literally a response to the post, now that's speed

Oh, you misinterpret me. I intend to claim that both shows are complete garbage, and that real fans of fantasy should watch science fiction shows.

Mainly, that The 100 is the best fantasy show ever made.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, mostly I was being hyperbolic while poking fun at the "science" in The 100.

But really, are there any good "period" fantasy shows at all? I don't think I've ever seen one...

I mean let's see what I've seen off the top of my head...

Hercules: the Legendary Journeys
Xena: Warrior Princess
Conan the Adventurer
Legend of the Seeker
Game of Thrones
Camelot
Merlin

...that's all I got

Which one of those is good?

Outlander, I guess, is that good?

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 5, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BSam posted:

Pacific Rim is a perfect film.

I think it's pretty loving awesome, yeah.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I should check out Outlander, since I forgot to cancel my Stars premium subscription on amazon before my free trial ended.

I head some stuff about the books that made it sound really bad, so I didn't think it was for me, but on the flip side, before I heard that stuff, the premise sounded kind of interesting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

less laughter posted:

It's brilliant and absolutely brutal

Cool, I'll start it when I finish Terriers.

edit: Then I can be a giant snob about it to people who watch GoT. I think my roommates are going to watch both GoT and Sons of Anarchy, so I will be able to feel secure in my snobbery while I watch Outlander, Deadwood, and the Wire.

edit: v yeah that would be the gist of what I heard about it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure GoT is about "shock factor".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

I'm sorry, I forgot how hosed up japan is for a moment.

If you drive this car, white, blonde women will want to take pictures of you(r car).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

im 5 minutes into Shannaramma and I'm pretty sure an elf orgy is about to happen

So it's cribbing pretty hard from GoT, then? (Or is that in the source material? If it is, that would be another reason why it's getting made...)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So it's "like Arrow"? Because wow I will skip that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Only in tonal shifts. Arrow goes back and forth between being essentially a Batman TV show, dark and ninjas everywhere, and a CW teen relationship drama. This is similar, though leaning more on the dark fantasy.

Though, looking at my other post now, I'm being misleading. It is nothing at all like Game of Thrones. More in common with Lord of the Rings, I guess.

Thanks. I knew I was being super reductive there, but you answered my question. I definitely will not be watching this unless I hear a lot of good things about the direction it goes in the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Been rewatching Frisky Dingo. Now that is a good show. Got cancelled before it could turn to poo poo.

• Locked thread