Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

hope and vaseline posted:

I too look forward to the return of recaps that take longer to read than actually watching the show that offer nothing critically interesting

Yeah, I never understood the appeal. I missed an episode of some series back in the day, googled a synopsis and stumbled upon TWP. After page 4/32 of a beat for beat recap of the episode I gave up and simply DL'ed it. Was quicker and easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FadingChord posted:

Mythbusters with Matt LeBlanc could be fun though

Yeah, I look forward to Top Gear with him. Top Gear with the three stooges was getting pretty tired and stale the last few seasons anyway - aside of the shenigans when they had their seasonly racist incident - I hope their Amazon show will shake things a bit up, not continue where they left off.

Not sure about the other new Top Gear hosts though, but Matt LeBlanc is a big draw for me.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Abu Dave posted:

I don't know if this is the correct thread or not but I'm getting bored of game of thrones because i don't like magic stuff and it's starting to incorporate more and more; my eye is being drawn to Rome now; is it actually "historically based" or is it highly fantasized rome?

It's pretty historically accurate in terms of style, costumes, sets, behaviour etc. even the names of Pullo and Lucius Vorenus were taken from a mention by Caesar. They had to condense a lot of time in season 2 though, that's why you have a new Octavian actor for example.
They invented and changed a lot of stuff in the personal relationship department though, some stuff could probably be right out of Lives of Famous Whores (like who's really Cesarion's father ;)). Overall a clear recommendation, the atmosphere and design is incredible, especially considering it was done before the big historical drama hype.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 18, 2016

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

STAC Goat posted:

The Flash finale is completely insane, but interestingly not so much because because of its own but because it SHOULD affect three other TV shows. A lot of shows have done something like that before but I have no idea how it affects Arrow, Supergirl, and Legends or how you have it not affect them. It seems like a weird middle ground between people who don't watch Flash who wouldn't understand why changes were happening and people who watch all the shows who wouldn't like that they weren't playing by the shared universe rules.

I went into the Flash thread to see what people thought of it and to no shock its filled with the usual TVIV self hating "this show is terrible" stuff. Then I remembered why I didn't read that thread (or, really, any thread for a show that's been on for more than 1 season).

It probably won't effect it at all, because the time travel in the Berlanti shows is basically "pick and choose" at how it works. Like killing the same guy three times "at the same time" in three different decades. Cause and effect? Who cares. This makes anything involving time travel completely without stakes for me.

Edit: Like in Comic Books, so it's perfect I guess.

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 25, 2016

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kaizoku posted:

How I Met Your Mother filmed all the kids scenes at the start of production, therefore How I Met Your Mother planned their arcing better than GoT.

One of the examples, where sticking to the plan was a bad decision, it made the ending clash completely with the poo poo they did the last two seasons and seem tone deaf.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mu Zeta posted:

Amy Acker is super hot

Something we definitely can agree on.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

wayfinder posted:

A really nice crime show is Morse

Also Lewis and Endevour, the two sequel/prequel series.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

try the new taco place posted:

MacGyver is a huge hit and more people saw her there than Person of Interest. It getting cancelled was probably good for her career tbh

PoI at its high point had 14 million viewers. Even at it lowest it had 7 million still. McGyver has 9 million. It's somewhat sad that 1.3 is a hit nowadays.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 4, 2016

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

less laughter posted:

Its low point was 4.9 mil, for this episode: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4679202

I took the season averages, and the last season (the lowest) was around 7 million. Single episodes might of course dip lower or be higher than that.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rhyno posted:

Hey question, everybody loses their loving minds when Jeremy Clarkson makes a comment about gypsies right?

Did everyone do the same back when they talked poo poo about gypsies on Buffy the Vampire Slayer every other episode?

Replace every instance of him saying "gypsy" with "negro" and you have about the impact and tactfulness of his statements conveyed to an American mind. Sinti and Roma in many parts of Europe are treated like African Americans were in the South during the Sixties and Fifties (unofficial, since officially all people are equal of course). Including getting killed by racists and mobs.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mu Zeta posted:

Gipsy Danger is the best in Pacific Rim

It is, but it is named after an engine, not some racist slur, you might notice the Y instead if I. Still not the most fortunate name.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Vanderdeath posted:

Negro works better in a historical context or for different organizations. Calling us negroes, however, is viewed, by-and-large, as a significantly coded term.

It's kinda like calling a Chinese person a "chinaman" or "Oriental."

Going back to TV talk: I really liked how Continuum somehow managed to make terrorists completely sympathetic and pretty much the actual good guys of the show.

Yeah, that's why I used the word. It's pretty much similar with "gypsy" in Europe. A very coded word, that was deliberately connected with negative stereotypes by the majority population for centuries. One big difference is that the campaigns to finally get rid of people using it carelessly are still only in the beginning (with many people complaining about the "drat PC police").

Liber8 was great, even despite their tries to make them appear really evil (because of killing innocents) in the early-mid part of the show, they came off as at least doing the right thing with the wrong methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Ego-bot posted:

So I found out that there's a Rome show on Netflix that stars Sean Bean. Anyone seen it?

The tagline definitely doesn't inspire confidence. Commodus was 300/1200 years before the Fall of the Roman Empire. Tracing that back to him just because he ends a line of good to great Emperors is pretty daring. His poo poo had nothing at all to do with it. It's also one of those vapid reenactment "documentations" even if it is a high gloss one.

• Locked thread